|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hemingway say he feels about the privacy at his cafe?
2. What does Hemingway talk about at the beginning of the book?
(a) Strange women.
(c) Bad weather.
(d) The war.
3. How many race bets does Hemingway win?
4. Where did Hemingway meet Chink?
5. Where does Hemingway hope his stories will be sold one day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylvia Beach scold Hemingway for?
2. Why is Hemingway comfortable in poverty?
3. What kind of books does Hemingway love to find on his walks?
4. What restaurant does Hemingway take his wife to after winning at the races?
5. What language does Hemingway say certain races have to be written in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do two of Hemingway's stories survive?
2. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
3. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound's work?
4. How does Hemingway feel after his large meal at the nice restaurant?
5. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
6. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's writing?
7. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's definition of the Lost Generation?
8. What kind of racing does Mike say he prefers, and why?
9. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Shakespeare and Company?
10. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)