|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where will Hemingway and his family spend the winter?
2. What does Hemingway order for himself while he is writing at the beginning of the book?
(c) A rum.
(d) Gin and Tonic.
3. Where does the story that Hemingway is writing at the beginning of the book take place?
4. What does Sylvia Beach scold Hemingway for?
(a) Lying to his wife.
(b) Working too hard.
(c) Not eating.
(d) Not paying his bill.
5. What is sold at Lipp's?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway define his friendship with Stein?
2. What is the current occupation of the man who interrupts Hemingway at the cafe?
3. Where does Hemingway like to go for reading material?
4. What is Hemingway's wife's name?
5. How many race bets does Hemingway win?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hemingway feel comfortable in his state of poverty?
2. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
3. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
4. Why does Hemingway say he never wrote about some of the greatest moments he witnessed in bicycle racing?
5. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
6. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
7. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
8. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
9. What does Hemingway do to make his stories more poetic?
10. What did Hemingway say would make his story about the interrupter more interesting?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)