|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hemingway work the day after he is interrupted?
(a) A library.
(b) Shakespeare and Company.
(c) Another cafe.
(d) His house.
2. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his times at the racetrack?
(a) It makes them a good income.
(b) It does not come between him and his wife.
(c) It gives Hadley something to look forward to.
(d) It distracts them from fighting.
3. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman?
(a) He has lots of money.
(b) He was an officer in the army.
(c) He attended a great university.
(d) His father was a gentleman.
4. What does Hemingway lie to Hadley about while he is hungry?
(a) Getting a paycheck soon.
(b) The amount in the bank account.
(c) Meeting with male friends.
(d) Eating lunch with friends.
5. What doesHemingway do every day during his winter vacation?
(c) Take pictures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gertrude say Hemingway should NOT write?
2. What is Hemingway's wife's name?
3. What does Ford accuse his waiter of doing while he is with Hemingway at the cafe?
4. What does Hemingway's wife usually do during the early mornings?
5. What is the name of Gertrude's partner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hemingway say he feels the way he does about homosexuals?
2. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
3. How does Hemingway describe the fishermen along the Seine?
4. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
5. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
6. What does Fitzgerald say he does after he writes his stories?
7. What does Hemingway say about Dostoyevsky's writing?
8. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's writing?
9. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
10. How does Hemingway describe the Shakespeare and Company shop?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)