|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hadley always feel at the racetrack?
(a) Full of life.
2. Where does Hemingway like to go for reading material?
(a) The Book Nook.
(b) Shakespeare and Company.
(c) The Globe Library.
(d) Williams Novels.
3. What does Hemingway like to write in?
(d) Old books.
4. What does Hemingway NOT do after his tender chat about love with his wife?
(a) Feel satisfied.
(b) Knock on wood.
(c) Write about his feelings.
(d) Look her in the eye.
5. What does Hemingway compare finishing a story to?
(a) Making love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hemingway avoid the Cafe De Amateurs?
2. What does Stein base her literary tastes on?
3. What is Gertrude's last name?
4. What does Hemingway's wife usually do during the early mornings?
5. What restaurant does Hemingway take his wife to after winning at the races?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Stein first hear the phrase, 'The Lost Generation'?
2. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound's work?
3. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
4. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
5. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
6. What kind of racing does Mike say he prefers, and why?
7. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
8. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Shakespeare and Company?
9. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
10. How does Hemingway describe the Shakespeare and Company shop?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)