|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hemingway make the man who interrupts him promise?
(a) To not tell his friends about the cafe.
(b) To start writing again.
(c) To leave him alone for an hour.
(d) To not come back to the cafe.
2. What must Hemingway do in order to write about Paris?
(a) Take drugs.
(b) Leave Paris.
(c) Spend time with his family.
(d) Get drunk.
3. Why does Mike NOT like horse racing?
(a) He has lost a lot of money there.
(b) You have to bet to enjoy it.
(c) The races are too short.
(d) He thinks the horses are badly treated.
4. What kind of car does Stein drive?
(a) VW Station wagon.
(b) Model T.
(c) Toyota Corolla.
(d) Old Buick.
5. What does Hemingway say would make the story about the interruption more interesting?
(a) If he had told the entire truth.
(b) If the man had become a well-known critic.
(c) If he had done what he wanted.
(d) If Hemingway had really blown up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway's wife say that Hemingway often has in his life to help him?
2. Where is Hemingway at the beginning of the book?
3. When does Hemingway stop writing for the day?
4. How does Hemingway justify his time at the race track?
5. What does Gertrude say Hemingway should NOT write?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway describe the fishermen along the Seine?
2. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
3. Why does Hemingway say he never wrote about some of the greatest moments he witnessed in bicycle racing?
4. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's writing?
5. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
6. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
7. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
8. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
9. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
10. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his dates at the races with his wife?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)