|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does the man who interrupts Hemingway use to describe Hemingway's writing?
2. Which of Hemingway's jobs does he quit first?
(b) Short stories.
(d) Writing obituaries.
3. What does Hemingway like to imagine while he writes?
(a) That he is a king with no worries.
(b) That he will make a fortune off of the story.
(c) That he is in the time and place of the story.
(d) That his life depends on the writing.
4. Who types up Gertrude's writing?
(a) Hemingway's wife.
5. How does Hemingway feel about the author that Stein recommends to him?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He is jealous of her.
(c) He is not very impressed.
(d) He despises her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway justify his time at the race track?
2. Where do most of Hemingway's stories take place?
3. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman?
4. Who does Hemingway know would lend him money if he needed it?
5. How much money was in the envelope for Hemingway at the Shakespeare and Company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Hemingway do a lot of his writing?
2. How does Hemingway say Sylvia Beach treated him?
3. What is Hemingway's wife excited about when he returns to their apartment at the beginning of the book?
4. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
5. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
6. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
7. What did Hemingway say would make his story about the interrupter more interesting?
8. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
9. What does Hemingway think about after making love to his wife after winning at the races?
10. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)