|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ford accuse his waiter of doing while he is with Hemingway at the cafe?
(a) Taking too long to serve him.
(b) Giving him a bad look.
(c) Getting his order wrong.
(d) Watering down his brandy.
2. Where is Hemingway at the beginning of the book?
(b) St. Petersburg.
(d) New York.
3. How does Hemingway feel when he finishes a story?
(a) Happy and sad.
(b) Satisfied and bored.
(c) Lonely and afraid.
(d) Angry and alone.
4. What is Hemingway's wife's name?
5. What is Gertrude's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What restaurant does Hemingway take his wife to after winning at the races?
2. What does Hemingway do to distract himself from his own writing?
3. What does Stein like Hemingway to talk about?
4. What does Hemingway say the man who interrupts him should be for a living?
5. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Sylvia's store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
2. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
3. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
4. What did Hemingway say would make his story about the interrupter more interesting?
5. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
6. Why does Hemingway feel comfortable in his state of poverty?
7. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
8. How do two of Hemingway's stories survive?
9. What is Hemingway's wife excited about when he returns to their apartment at the beginning of the book?
10. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)