|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hemingway order for himself while he is writing at the beginning of the book?
(a) Gin and Tonic.
(d) A rum.
2. What does Sylvia Beach decorate her store with?
(a) Random photographs.
(b) Pictures of authors.
(c) Symbols from literature.
(d) Pages of books.
3. What does Hemingway say heightens his perception of the paintings in the museum?
(a) His self-loathing.
(b) His life experience.
(c) His desire to create.
(d) His hunger.
4. Where does Hemingway like to go for reading material?
(a) Shakespeare and Company.
(b) Williams Novels.
(c) The Globe Library.
(d) The Book Nook.
5. What does Gertrude think of the story 'Up in Michigan'?
(a) It is stale.
(b) It is predictable.
(c) It is obscene.
(d) It is abstract.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hemingway stop betting at the race track?
2. Who introduces Hemingway to many famous authors and artists?
3. What famous person does Hemingway hope to see in Sylvia's shop?
4. What does Hemingway's wife want to buy to have at the race track?
5. Where is Hemingway at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hemingway think about after making love to his wife after winning at the races?
2. What kind of racing does Mike say he prefers, and why?
3. How does Hemingway feel after his discussion about homosexuals with Stein?
4. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's writing?
5. How does Hemingway describe the Shakespeare and Company shop?
6. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
7. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
8. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
9. Why does Ford get mad at the waiter from the cafe?
10. Where does Stein first hear the phrase, 'The Lost Generation'?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)