|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hemingway say he feels about the privacy at his cafe?
2. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his times at the racetrack?
(a) It does not come between him and his wife.
(b) It gives Hadley something to look forward to.
(c) It distracts them from fighting.
(d) It makes them a good income.
3. What is sold at Lipp's?
4. What does Hemingway compare finishing a story to?
(d) Making love.
5. What does Hemingway say heightens his perception of the paintings in the museum?
(a) His desire to create.
(b) His hunger.
(c) His self-loathing.
(d) His life experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway make the man who interrupts him promise?
2. What does the goatherd sell as he herds his goats down the street?
3. What does Hemingway's wife want to buy to have at the race track?
4. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound?
5. How does Hemingway describe the part of Paris that he and his family lived in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's definition of the Lost Generation?
2. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
3. How do Hemingway and his wife respond to the news of his lost writings?
4. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's writing?
5. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Shakespeare and Company?
6. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
7. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
8. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his dates at the races with his wife?
9. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
10. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)