|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hemingway order for himself while he is writing at the beginning of the book?
(c) Gin and Tonic.
(d) A rum.
2. What does Sylvia Beach decorate her store with?
(a) Random photographs.
(b) Pictures of authors.
(c) Symbols from literature.
(d) Pages of books.
3. What does Hemingway lie to Hadley about while he is hungry?
(a) Meeting with male friends.
(b) Getting a paycheck soon.
(c) The amount in the bank account.
(d) Eating lunch with friends.
4. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his times at the racetrack?
(a) It gives Hadley something to look forward to.
(b) It distracts them from fighting.
(c) It does not come between him and his wife.
(d) It makes them a good income.
5. Where does Hemingway work the day after he is interrupted?
(a) A library.
(b) Another cafe.
(c) Shakespeare and Company.
(d) His house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hemingway know would lend him money if he needed it?
2. What does Hemingway feel his writing will become?
3. What kind of poles do the Paris fishermen use?
4. What does Hemingway like to do early in the morning?
5. What famous person does Hemingway hope to see in Sylvia's shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
2. Why does Ford get mad at the waiter from the cafe?
3. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
4. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his dates at the races with his wife?
5. How does Hemingway describe the Shakespeare and Company shop?
6. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
7. How does Hemingway feel after his large meal at the nice restaurant?
8. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
9. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
10. What does Hemingway carry with him at all times for luck?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)