|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gertrude think of the story 'Up in Michigan'?
(a) It is predictable.
(b) It is abstract.
(c) It is obscene.
(d) It is stale.
2. What must Hemingway do in order to write about Paris?
(a) Spend time with his family.
(b) Take drugs.
(c) Get drunk.
(d) Leave Paris.
3. Why does Hemingway avoid the Cafe De Amateurs?
(a) He dislikes the smell.
(b) He does not speak French.
(c) The food is kind of expensive.
(d) It is very crowded.
4. What does Hemingway NOT do after his tender chat about love with his wife?
(a) Feel satisfied.
(b) Write about his feelings.
(c) Look her in the eye.
(d) Knock on wood.
5. What does Stein think caused Hemingway's generation to be the way it is?
(a) Their parents.
(b) The war.
(c) Their poverty.
(d) Their schooling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Gertrude's partner?
2. What restaurant does Hemingway take his wife to after winning at the races?
3. What does Hemingway lie to Hadley about while he is hungry?
4. Who types up Gertrude's writing?
5. What does Hemingway eat while he reads?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
2. Why does Hemingway say he feels the way he does about homosexuals?
3. What did Hemingway say would make his story about the interrupter more interesting?
4. Why does Hemingway feel comfortable in his state of poverty?
5. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
6. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
7. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
8. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
9. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
10. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's definition of the Lost Generation?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)