|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of books did Hemingway read when he first joined Shakespeare and Company?
2. Why does Zelda get excited when her husband drinks some wine?
(a) He can't work when he is drunk.
(b) He is nicer to her when he is drunk.
(c) He is easier to manipulate when he is drunk.
(d) He spends more money when he is drunk.
3. How does Hemingway feel about many of Stein's new friends?
(a) He found them old and boring.
(b) He deeply admired them.
(c) He found them young and ignorant.
(d) He did not respect them.
4. What does Hemingway call his affair in the book?
(a) The change.
(b) The other thing.
(c) The beginning of the end.
(d) The infiltration.
5. What is Fitzgerald's big secret?
(a) He wants Zelda to die.
(b) He thinks he might be gay.
(c) He has cheated on Zelda often.
(d) He has never slept with anyone except Zelda.
6. What does Hemingway think when Walsh offers him a literary award?
(a) It is about time someone recognized him.
(b) He has been dreaming about this.
(c) He does not deserve it.
(d) Walsh is a conman.
7. Where is Ernest Walsh from?
8. What word does Hemingway use to describe Lewis's personality?
(d) Off color.
9. What does Hemingway call the cafes where the other writers frequent?
(a) The Principal Cafes.
(b) The Primitive Cafes.
(c) The Primeval Cafes.
(d) The Primary Cafes.
10. What does Hemingway say the great treasure of living in Paris is?
(a) Being immersed in culture.
(b) Having a high population.
(c) Never being lonely.
(d) Having time to read.
11. What does Hemingway bring to Dunning when he has an episode after returning from the asylum?
(a) A book to read.
(b) Some sedatives.
(c) The silver dust.
(d) The opium.
12. What does Walsh die from?
(b) A venerial disease.
(c) He hangs himself.
(d) Typhoid Fever.
13. What is Fitzgerald's wife's name?
14. What does Stein call her companion?
15. Why does Hemingway continue to live in Paris?
(a) It is cheap to live there.
(b) The weather is usually mild there.
(c) His wife loves it there.
(d) Many writers live there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hemingway when he meets Ernest Walsh?
2. What kind of authors does Pound tell Hemingway to read?
3. What causes the strange transformation in Fitzgerald when Hemingway first meets him?
4. Where does Fitzgerald meet Hemingway when they visit again in Paris?
5. What does the Pilot Fish attract to the mountains?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)