|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Hemingway constantly hungry when he is in the mountains?
(a) Hiking and skiing.
(b) Voracious reading.
(c) Making love.
(d) Good conversation.
2. Where is Ernest Walsh from?
3. What word does Hemingway use to describe Lewis's personality?
(d) Off color.
4. What is Fitzgerald's wife's name?
5. What does Fitzgerald blame for his inability to write?
(a) His friends.
6. Where did Hemingway want to go before he went to visit the cafes where the other writers frequent?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) Shakespeare and Company.
(c) The horse track.
(d) The Louvre.
7. What does Hemingway suggest Fitzgerald do to solve his problem?
(a) Keep Zelda's picture with him.
(b) Ignore what his wife says to him.
(c) Get a divorce.
(d) Look at statues at the Louvre.
8. Why does Hemingway continue to live in Paris?
(a) His wife loves it there.
(b) It is cheap to live there.
(c) The weather is usually mild there.
(d) Many writers live there.
9. Who else does Walsh offer the literary award to?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) T. S. Elliot.
(c) D. H. Lawrence.
(d) Ezra Pound.
10. What is the name of Hemingway's son?
11. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
(a) He is a great writer.
(b) He is his elder.
(c) He is Ezra's friend.
(d) He is an influential publisher.
12. What does Hemingway think when Walsh offers him a literary award?
(a) Walsh is a conman.
(b) It is about time someone recognized him.
(c) He does not deserve it.
(d) He has been dreaming about this.
13. What does Walsh hate being called?
14. What causes the strange transformation in Fitzgerald when Hemingway first meets him?
(b) Lack of food.
(c) Lack of sleep.
15. Where does Evan Shipman meet Hemingway in Paris?
(a) A museum.
(b) Hemingway's house.
(c) A cafe.
(d) Ezra Pound's studio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dunning's occupation?
2. Where does Dunning climb to after he returns from the asylum?
3. What does Dunning throw at Hemingway when he visits Dunning after his episode?
4. What does Hemingway find odd about Fitzgerald's body?
5. What does Hemingway bring to Dunning when he has an episode after returning from the asylum?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)