|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Ezra Pound's wife?
2. Why does Zelda get excited when her husband drinks some wine?
(a) He is nicer to her when he is drunk.
(b) He is easier to manipulate when he is drunk.
(c) He spends more money when he is drunk.
(d) He can't work when he is drunk.
3. Why does Hemingway continue to live in Paris?
(a) The weather is usually mild there.
(b) Many writers live there.
(c) His wife loves it there.
(d) It is cheap to live there.
4. Where is Hemingway when he meets Ernest Walsh?
(a) A cafe.
(b) Shakespeare and Company.
(c) Stein's ballroom.
(d) Pounds' studio.
5. Where does Dunning climb to after he returns from the asylum?
(a) The roof.
(b) The weather vane.
(c) The clock tower.
(d) The attic.
6. How many models are with Pascin when Hemingway meets him?
7. What does Hemingway suggest Fitzgerald do to solve his problem?
(a) Get a divorce.
(b) Ignore what his wife says to him.
(c) Look at statues at the Louvre.
(d) Keep Zelda's picture with him.
8. What causes the strange transformation in Fitzgerald when Hemingway first meets him?
(a) Lack of food.
(c) Lack of sleep.
9. What is Fitzgerald's big secret?
(a) He has cheated on Zelda often.
(b) He wants Zelda to die.
(c) He thinks he might be gay.
(d) He has never slept with anyone except Zelda.
10. Who else does Walsh offer the literary award to?
(a) T. S. Elliot.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) D. H. Lawrence.
(d) James Joyce.
11. What kind of authors does Pound tell Hemingway to read?
12. How does Hemingway feel about many of Stein's new friends?
(a) He found them old and boring.
(b) He deeply admired them.
(c) He found them young and ignorant.
(d) He did not respect them.
13. What is the name of the waiter who serves Hemingway and Shipman?
14. What is Zelda most jealous of in her life?
(a) Her husband's intellect.
(b) Her husband's lovers.
(c) Her husband's friends.
(d) Her husband's work.
15. What disappoints Hemingway about Fitzgerald's writing?
(a) It is slow to progress.
(b) It is repetetive.
(c) It is too commercial.
(d) It is so somber.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hemingway have an affair?
2. Where did T.S. Elliot work before he became a great writer?
3. Where does Evan Shipman meet Hemingway in Paris?
4. Where does Fitzgerald meet Hemingway when they visit again in Paris?
5. Where is Ernest Walsh from?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)