|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hemingway hide the jar that Ezra gives him when he leaves town?
(a) An old boot.
(b) A lamp shade.
(c) A war chest.
(d) A locked drawer.
2. Why does Hemingway continue to live in Paris?
(a) It is cheap to live there.
(b) The weather is usually mild there.
(c) Many writers live there.
(d) His wife loves it there.
3. What does Hemingway call the cafes where the other writers frequent?
(a) The Primary Cafes.
(b) The Principal Cafes.
(c) The Primeval Cafes.
(d) The Primitive Cafes.
4. What causes the strange transformation in Fitzgerald when Hemingway first meets him?
(b) Lack of food.
(d) Lack of sleep.
5. What does Hemingway find odd about Fitzgerald's body?
(a) His head is large.
(b) His arms are long.
(c) His legs are short.
(d) His feet are small.
6. Where does Evan Shipman meet Hemingway in Paris?
(a) Ezra Pound's studio.
(b) A museum.
(c) Hemingway's house.
(d) A cafe.
7. Where does Hemingway have an affair?
(d) New York.
8. What is Fitzgerald's big secret?
(a) He wants Zelda to die.
(b) He has cheated on Zelda often.
(c) He has never slept with anyone except Zelda.
(d) He thinks he might be gay.
9. What does Fitzgerald demand of Hemingway when they visit again in Paris?
(a) A critique.
(d) Direct honesty.
10. What does Hemingway think when Walsh offers him a literary award?
(a) He does not deserve it.
(b) He has been dreaming about this.
(c) It is about time someone recognized him.
(d) Walsh is a conman.
11. How did Pascin die?
(a) He overdosed on drugs.
(b) He hung himself.
(c) He shot himself.
(d) He had a venerial disease.
12. How does Hemingway feel about many of Stein's new friends?
(a) He deeply admired them.
(b) He found them young and ignorant.
(c) He found them old and boring.
(d) He did not respect them.
13. Why does Zelda have a fight with Fitzgerald at a party?
(a) He wrote the entire time.
(b) He would not drink.
(c) He was flirting with other women.
(d) He wanted to leave early.
14. What is the name of Ezra Pound's wife?
15. Why does Hemingway want to leave Stein's house before she leaves on her vacation?
(a) He heard her having a fight.
(b) He wanted to be with his wife.
(c) He didn't like what she said.
(d) He was disgusted by the maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of authors does Pound tell Hemingway to read?
2. What animal does Hemingway compare Wyndham Lewis to?
3. What does Walsh die from?
4. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
5. What does Hemingway bring to Dunning when he has an episode after returning from the asylum?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)