|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Hemingway want to go before he went to visit the cafes where the other writers frequent?
(a) The Louvre.
(b) The horse track.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) Shakespeare and Company.
2. What does Hemingway call his affair in the book?
(a) The infiltration.
(b) The other thing.
(c) The change.
(d) The beginning of the end.
3. How does Hemingway feel about many of Stein's new friends?
(a) He found them old and boring.
(b) He found them young and ignorant.
(c) He deeply admired them.
(d) He did not respect them.
4. What is Zelda most jealous of in her life?
(a) Her husband's intellect.
(b) Her husband's lovers.
(c) Her husband's work.
(d) Her husband's friends.
5. What disappoints Hemingway about Fitzgerald's writing?
(a) It is slow to progress.
(b) It is so somber.
(c) It is repetetive.
(d) It is too commercial.
6. What does Hemingway bring to Dunning when he has an episode after returning from the asylum?
(a) The silver dust.
(b) The opium.
(c) A book to read.
(d) Some sedatives.
7. Why does Hemingway want to leave Stein's house before she leaves on her vacation?
(a) He was disgusted by the maid.
(b) He wanted to be with his wife.
(c) He heard her having a fight.
(d) He didn't like what she said.
8. What kind of establishment does Fitzgerald live in in Paris?
(a) Hotel room.
9. Where is Hemingway when he meets Ernest Walsh?
(a) Stein's ballroom.
(b) Shakespeare and Company.
(c) A cafe.
(d) Pounds' studio.
10. How many models are with Pascin when Hemingway meets him?
11. Where does Hemingway first meet Fitzgerald?
(a) A church.
(b) A cafe.
(c) A museum.
(d) A bar.
12. Where does Hemingway hide the jar that Ezra gives him when he leaves town?
(a) A lamp shade.
(b) A locked drawer.
(c) A war chest.
(d) An old boot.
13. Where did T.S. Elliot work before he became a great writer?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A school.
(c) A bar.
(d) A bank.
14. What is the name of Hemingway's son?
15. What does Hemingway say the great treasure of living in Paris is?
(a) Being immersed in culture.
(b) Never being lonely.
(c) Having time to read.
(d) Having a high population.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zelda get excited when her husband drinks some wine?
2. Who lets Hemingway into the house when Stein is not home?
3. What makes Hemingway constantly hungry when he is in the mountains?
4. Who else does Walsh offer the literary award to?
5. What does Hemingway scold Shipman for when they first meet in Paris?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)