|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hemingway call the cafes where the other writers frequent?
(a) The Primeval Cafes.
(b) The Primitive Cafes.
(c) The Primary Cafes.
(d) The Principal Cafes.
2. What does the Pilot Fish attract to the mountains?
(c) Rich people.
(d) Media people.
3. Where does Evan Shipman meet Hemingway in Paris?
(a) A cafe.
(b) A museum.
(c) Ezra Pound's studio.
(d) Hemingway's house.
4. Who else does Walsh offer the literary award to?
(a) D. H. Lawrence.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) T. S. Elliot.
5. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
(a) He is his elder.
(b) He is Ezra's friend.
(c) He is a great writer.
(d) He is an influential publisher.
6. What does Fitzgerald blame for his inability to write?
(c) His friends.
7. What does Stein call her companion?
8. What is the name of Hemingway's son?
9. Where did Hemingway want to go before he went to visit the cafes where the other writers frequent?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) The horse track.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) Shakespeare and Company.
10. Where does Fitzgerald meet Hemingway when they visit again in Paris?
(a) A cafe.
(b) Hemingway's house.
(c) Shakespeare and Company.
(d) A restaurant.
11. Why does Hemingway continue to live in Paris?
(a) Many writers live there.
(b) The weather is usually mild there.
(c) It is cheap to live there.
(d) His wife loves it there.
12. What does Hemingway suggest Fitzgerald do to solve his problem?
(a) Look at statues at the Louvre.
(b) Ignore what his wife says to him.
(c) Keep Zelda's picture with him.
(d) Get a divorce.
13. Where did T.S. Elliot work before he became a great writer?
(a) A school.
(b) A bar.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A bank.
14. Why does Zelda get excited when her husband drinks some wine?
(a) He spends more money when he is drunk.
(b) He is easier to manipulate when he is drunk.
(c) He is nicer to her when he is drunk.
(d) He can't work when he is drunk.
15. What does Hemingway say the great treasure of living in Paris is?
(a) Having a high population.
(b) Having time to read.
(c) Never being lonely.
(d) Being immersed in culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walsh hate being called?
2. Why does Hemingway leave the cafe Select?
3. What is the name of the owner of the bar that Fitzgerald frequented?
4. What kind of books did Hemingway read when he first joined Shakespeare and Company?
5. What disappoints Hemingway about Fitzgerald's writing?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)