|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
(a) He is an influential publisher.
(b) He is Ezra's friend.
(c) He is a great writer.
(d) He is his elder.
2. What does Walsh hate being called?
3. What does Fitzgerald say when he first meets Hemingway?
(a) He compliments Hemingway's work.
(b) He asks Hemingway's opinion on his own writing.
(c) He tries to set Hemingway up with a girl.
(d) He asks about Paris culture.
4. What does Hemingway think when Walsh offers him a literary award?
(a) Walsh is a conman.
(b) He does not deserve it.
(c) It is about time someone recognized him.
(d) He has been dreaming about this.
5. What is Dunning's occupation?
6. What bar does Fitzgerald go to after his talk with Hemingway?
7. What word does Hemingway use to describe Lewis's personality?
(b) Off color.
8. Where did T.S. Elliot work before he became a great writer?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A bar.
(c) A bank.
(d) A school.
9. Who does Hemingway leave a message with when he fails to see Stein before she leaves on vacation?
(b) The maid.
(c) Another friend.
(d) The butler.
10. What does Hemingway suggest Fitzgerald do to solve his problem?
(a) Keep Zelda's picture with him.
(b) Look at statues at the Louvre.
(c) Ignore what his wife says to him.
(d) Get a divorce.
11. What is the name of Ezra Pound's wife?
12. Where does Hemingway spend the money he was going to give to Bel Esprit?
(a) The race tracks.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) The bars.
(d) The book store.
13. What does Fitzgerald blame for his inability to write?
(a) His friends.
14. What causes the strange transformation in Fitzgerald when Hemingway first meets him?
(b) Lack of sleep.
(c) Lack of food.
15. Why does Hemingway continue to live in Paris?
(a) It is cheap to live there.
(b) The weather is usually mild there.
(c) His wife loves it there.
(d) Many writers live there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lets Hemingway into the house when Stein is not home?
2. Where does Dunning climb to after he returns from the asylum?
3. Where does Hemingway hide the jar that Ezra gives him when he leaves town?
4. What did Fitzgerald start to look like while he was talking to Hemingway for the first time?
5. What excuse does Hemingway try to give when he leaves Stein's house before she goes on vacation?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)