|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Hemingway compare Wyndham Lewis to?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A frog.
(c) A dog.
(d) A bear.
2. Why does Zelda get excited when her husband drinks some wine?
(a) He is easier to manipulate when he is drunk.
(b) He spends more money when he is drunk.
(c) He is nicer to her when he is drunk.
(d) He can't work when he is drunk.
3. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
(a) He is a great writer.
(b) He is an influential publisher.
(c) He is his elder.
(d) He is Ezra's friend.
4. Where does Hemingway spend the money he was going to give to Bel Esprit?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) The race tracks.
(c) The bars.
(d) The book store.
5. What does Dunning throw at Hemingway when he visits Dunning after his episode?
(c) A fire poker.
(d) A stack of books.
6. What is the name of the waiter who serves Hemingway and Shipman?
7. What disappoints Hemingway about Fitzgerald's writing?
(a) It is repetetive.
(b) It is slow to progress.
(c) It is too commercial.
(d) It is so somber.
8. What does Walsh hate being called?
9. What makes Hemingway constantly hungry when he is in the mountains?
(a) Good conversation.
(b) Voracious reading.
(c) Hiking and skiing.
(d) Making love.
10. What did Fitzgerald start to look like while he was talking to Hemingway for the first time?
(a) A young boy.
(b) An angelic being.
(c) A skeleton.
(d) An old man.
11. What does Hemingway say the great treasure of living in Paris is?
(a) Having a high population.
(b) Never being lonely.
(c) Having time to read.
(d) Being immersed in culture.
12. Who does Hemingway leave a message with when he fails to see Stein before she leaves on vacation?
(a) The butler.
(c) Another friend.
(d) The maid.
13. What does Stein call her companion?
14. Where does Hemingway hide the jar that Ezra gives him when he leaves town?
(a) A lamp shade.
(b) An old boot.
(c) A locked drawer.
(d) A war chest.
15. Where does Fitzgerald meet Hemingway when they visit again in Paris?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A cafe.
(c) Shakespeare and Company.
(d) Hemingway's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway scold Shipman for when they first meet in Paris?
2. What does Ezra give Hemingway a jar of before he leaves town?
3. Why does Hemingway leave the cafe Select?
4. What kind of authors does Pound tell Hemingway to read?
5. Why does Hemingway continue to live in Paris?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)