|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dunning throw at Hemingway when he visits Dunning after his episode?
(b) A stack of books.
(d) A fire poker.
2. What does Fitzgerald say when he first meets Hemingway?
(a) He asks Hemingway's opinion on his own writing.
(b) He tries to set Hemingway up with a girl.
(c) He asks about Paris culture.
(d) He compliments Hemingway's work.
3. What does Hemingway scold Shipman for when they first meet in Paris?
(a) Ordering whiskey so early in the day.
(b) Not wearing warm clothes.
(c) Cheating on his wife.
(d) Being too thin.
4. What is Fitzgerald's big secret?
(a) He has cheated on Zelda often.
(b) He wants Zelda to die.
(c) He thinks he might be gay.
(d) He has never slept with anyone except Zelda.
5. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
(a) He is a great writer.
(b) He is Ezra's friend.
(c) He is his elder.
(d) He is an influential publisher.
6. What is the name of the owner of the bar that Fitzgerald frequented?
7. How does a man die when Hemingway is watching in the mountains?
(a) He has pneumonia.
(b) He is stabbed.
(c) He falls off a cliff.
(d) An avalanche.
8. What disappoints Hemingway about Fitzgerald's writing?
(a) It is repetetive.
(b) It is too commercial.
(c) It is slow to progress.
(d) It is so somber.
9. What does Walsh hate being called?
10. What is Zelda most jealous of in her life?
(a) Her husband's lovers.
(b) Her husband's work.
(c) Her husband's friends.
(d) Her husband's intellect.
11. What is Fitzgerald's wife's name?
12. What does Hemingway call his affair in the book?
(a) The infiltration.
(b) The beginning of the end.
(c) The change.
(d) The other thing.
13. What did Fitzgerald start to look like while he was talking to Hemingway for the first time?
(a) A young boy.
(b) An old man.
(c) A skeleton.
(d) An angelic being.
14. Where does Fitzgerald meet Hemingway when they visit again in Paris?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) Shakespeare and Company.
(c) A cafe.
(d) Hemingway's house.
15. What does Fitzgerald demand of Hemingway when they visit again in Paris?
(c) Direct honesty.
(d) A critique.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hemingway want to go before he went to visit the cafes where the other writers frequent?
2. What does Hemingway say the great treasure of living in Paris is?
3. What kind of authors does Pound tell Hemingway to read?
4. What is Dunning's occupation?
5. What kind of books did Hemingway read when he first joined Shakespeare and Company?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)