|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Hemingway constantly hungry when he is in the mountains?
(a) Making love.
(b) Voracious reading.
(c) Good conversation.
(d) Hiking and skiing.
2. Who lets Hemingway into the house when Stein is not home?
(b) The maid.
(c) The next door neighbor.
3. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
(a) He is Ezra's friend.
(b) He is an influential publisher.
(c) He is his elder.
(d) He is a great writer.
4. What animal does Hemingway compare Wyndham Lewis to?
(a) A dog.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A frog.
(d) A bear.
5. What kind of books did Hemingway read when he first joined Shakespeare and Company?
6. What is Zelda most jealous of in her life?
(a) Her husband's friends.
(b) Her husband's intellect.
(c) Her husband's lovers.
(d) Her husband's work.
7. What does Hemingway bring to Dunning when he has an episode after returning from the asylum?
(a) Some sedatives.
(b) The silver dust.
(c) The opium.
(d) A book to read.
8. Where did T.S. Elliot work before he became a great writer?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A school.
(c) A bar.
(d) A bank.
9. What does Walsh die from?
(a) He hangs himself.
(c) Typhoid Fever.
(d) A venerial disease.
10. Why does Hemingway continue to live in Paris?
(a) It is cheap to live there.
(b) His wife loves it there.
(c) Many writers live there.
(d) The weather is usually mild there.
11. Who else does Walsh offer the literary award to?
(a) D. H. Lawrence.
(b) T. S. Elliot.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Ezra Pound.
12. What is Dunning's occupation?
13. What is Fitzgerald's big secret?
(a) He has cheated on Zelda often.
(b) He has never slept with anyone except Zelda.
(c) He wants Zelda to die.
(d) He thinks he might be gay.
14. What kind of authors does Pound tell Hemingway to read?
15. What word does Hemingway use to describe Lewis's personality?
(b) Off color.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hemingway leave the cafe Select?
2. What does Hemingway think when Walsh offers him a literary award?
3. What does Fitzgerald say when he first meets Hemingway?
4. Why does Zelda get excited when her husband drinks some wine?
5. Where did Hemingway want to go before he went to visit the cafes where the other writers frequent?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)