|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hemingway like to imagine while he writes?
(a) That he is a king with no worries.
(b) That his life depends on the writing.
(c) That he is in the time and place of the story.
(d) That he will make a fortune off of the story.
2. What does Hemingway like to sit under at his favorite cafe?
3. How many race bets does Hemingway win?
4. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his times at the racetrack?
(a) It does not come between him and his wife.
(b) It gives Hadley something to look forward to.
(c) It makes them a good income.
(d) It distracts them from fighting.
5. Where do most of Hemingway's stories take place?
(a) Near the ocean.
(b) In urban areas.
(d) In universities.
6. Who is Hemingway's favorite artist?
7. What is Mike Ward's occupation?
(c) Bank employee.
(d) Hotel owner.
8. What is the name of Gertrude's partner?
9. What bad habit does Stein think Hemingway takes to the extreme?
(d) Taking drugs.
10. How many month's of savings does Hemingway's wife lose on a horse race?
11. How does Hemingway define his friendship with Stein?
12. What is the current occupation of the man who interrupts Hemingway at the cafe?
13. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound?
(a) He spilled coffee on her tablecloth.
(b) He refused to publish her work.
(c) He was rude to her lover.
(d) He broke one of her chairs.
14. What does Hemingway's wife want to buy to have at the race track?
15. What does Hemingway feel his writing will become?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylvia Beach scold Hemingway for?
2. What does Sylvia Beach decorate her store with?
3. Where is Chink from?
4. What kind of poles do the Paris fishermen use?
5. What does Hemingway NOT do after his tender chat about love with his wife?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)