|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many race bets does Hemingway win?
2. Why does one woman always sell her books cheaply?
(a) She does not need the money.
(b) She has no idea if they are valuable.
(c) She has already read them.
(d) She is poor.
3. What author does Stein recommend that Hemingway read?
4. How many month's of savings does Hemingway's wife lose on a horse race?
5. What does Hemingway want to write stories about?
(a) Things he wishes he could do.
(b) Things he has done.
(c) People he has known.
(d) Things he knows.
6. How does Ford say Hemingway looks when he sits with him at the cafe?
7. What does Hemingway's wife want to buy to have at the race track?
8. Where does Hemingway like to go for reading material?
(a) The Book Nook.
(b) Shakespeare and Company.
(c) Williams Novels.
(d) The Globe Library.
9. Where is Hemingway at the beginning of the book?
(b) New York.
(c) St. Petersburg.
10. What does Hemingway do to distract himself from his own writing?
(a) Goes on walks.
(b) Reads books.
(d) Visits museums.
11. What does Hemingway eat while he reads?
(a) Crepes and seltzer.
(d) Bread and wine.
12. What is sold at Lipp's?
13. What does Ford chastise Hemingway for while they sit together at a cafe?
(a) Drinking brandy.
(b) Cheating on his wife.
(c) Talking too fast.
(d) Snubbing Belloc.
14. What kind of poles do the Paris fishermen use?
15. What is Hemingway's favorite season in Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gertrude's last name?
2. Why is Hemingway often hungry?
3. How much money was in the envelope for Hemingway at the Shakespeare and Company?
4. Who invites Hemingway and his wife to dinner?
5. What word does the man who interrupts Hemingway use to describe Hemingway's writing?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)