|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of people used to frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
2. How does Hemingway feel about the fish caught in Paris?
(a) They are fish.
(b) They are delicious.
(c) They are nothing special.
(d) They are disgusting.
3. Where does Hemingway get a lot of inspiration?
4. How many of Hemingway's racing stories survive?
5. What distracts Hemingway from his writing at the beginning of the book?
(a) A gust of wind.
(b) A knocking on his door.
(c) A pretty girl.
(d) A man singing.
6. What does Hemingway say all critics start every sentence with?
(a) Their opinion.
(b) Their name.
(c) A long word.
(d) A grumble.
7. What is Gertrude's last name?
8. What is sold at Lipp's?
9. What does Ford accuse his waiter of doing while he is with Hemingway at the cafe?
(a) Watering down his brandy.
(b) Giving him a bad look.
(c) Taking too long to serve him.
(d) Getting his order wrong.
10. What does Gertrude think of the story 'Up in Michigan'?
(a) It is stale.
(b) It is abstract.
(c) It is predictable.
(d) It is obscene.
11. What does Hemingway like to think Cezanne felt while he was painting?
12. Where is the newspaper located that Hemingway writes for?
13. What other kind of racing does Hemingway become involved in?
(a) Horse racing.
14. Why does Hemingway know where Ford's party is being held?
(a) He lived above it.
(b) He walks by it daily.
(c) He has heard of it before.
(d) He has attended parties there before.
15. What country sent a letter for Hemingway to the Shakespeare and Company?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hemingway feel the way he does when he first enters Sylvia's store?
2. How does Hemingway say he feels about the privacy at his cafe?
3. Why is Hemingway often hungry?
4. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound?
5. What ends Hemingway's time in Paris?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)