|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who types up Gertrude's writing?
(a) Hemingway's wife.
2. How does Hemingway say he feels about the privacy at his cafe?
3. How does Sylvia treat Hemingway?
4. How does Hemingway feel about the author that Stein recommends to him?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He is not very impressed.
(c) He despises her.
(d) He is jealous of her.
5. Where does Hemingway do much of his writing?
(a) A hotel room.
(b) A park bench.
(c) His restroom.
(d) A cafe.
6. What ends Hemingway's time in Paris?
(a) Hadley's death.
(b) An affair.
(c) He is robbed.
(d) A bankruptcy.
7. What is sold at Lipp's?
8. What distracts Hemingway from his writing at the beginning of the book?
(a) A gust of wind.
(b) A pretty girl.
(c) A man singing.
(d) A knocking on his door.
9. How does Ford say Hemingway looks when he sits with him at the cafe?
10. Where will Hemingway and his family spend the winter?
11. What does Hemingway talk about at the beginning of the book?
(a) Strange women.
(b) Bad weather.
(d) The war.
12. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound?
(a) He spilled coffee on her tablecloth.
(b) He refused to publish her work.
(c) He broke one of her chairs.
(d) He was rude to her lover.
13. What does Hemingway feel his writing will become?
14. What does Stein like Hemingway to talk about?
(a) His writing techniques.
(b) Stories from the war.
(c) His past romances.
(d) His journalism travels.
15. What does Hemingway like to write in?
(c) Old books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ford's occupation?
2. What does Hemingway like to think Cezanne felt while he was painting?
3. How many race tracks does Hemingway switch off between?
4. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
5. What is the name of Gertrude's partner?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)