|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hemingway justify his time at the race track?
(a) He usually wins.
(b) He limits his spending amount.
(c) He bets wisely.
(d) He writes about it.
2. What does Hemingway compare finishing a story to?
(d) Making love.
3. How does Hemingway describe the part of Paris that he and his family lived in?
4. What does Sylvia Beach decorate her store with?
(a) Pages of books.
(b) Symbols from literature.
(c) Pictures of authors.
(d) Random photographs.
5. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
(a) He does not have the time.
(b) It smells too strong for him.
(c) It is not a good paying job.
(d) He does not like fish enough.
6. Where do most of Hemingway's stories take place?
(a) In urban areas.
(c) In universities.
(d) Near the ocean.
7. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his times at the racetrack?
(a) It does not come between him and his wife.
(b) It makes them a good income.
(c) It gives Hadley something to look forward to.
(d) It distracts them from fighting.
8. What is sold at Lipp's?
9. Where is Chink from?
10. Who types up Gertrude's writing?
(c) Hemingway's wife.
11. What kind of books does Hemingway love to find on his walks?
12. What does Hemingway say heightens his perception of the paintings in the museum?
(a) His desire to create.
(b) His self-loathing.
(c) His life experience.
(d) His hunger.
13. How does Hemingway define his friendship with Stein?
14. What does Hemingway make the man who interrupts him promise?
(a) To leave him alone for an hour.
(b) To not tell his friends about the cafe.
(c) To start writing again.
(d) To not come back to the cafe.
15. How does Hemingway feel about the fish caught in Paris?
(a) They are delicious.
(b) They are fish.
(c) They are nothing special.
(d) They are disgusting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of poles do the Paris fishermen use?
2. What is the name of Gertrude's partner?
3. What is Ford's occupation?
4. What kind of people used to frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
5. What is Hemingway's wife's name?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)