|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous person does Hemingway hope to see in Sylvia's shop?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
2. Where do most of Hemingway's stories take place?
(a) Near the ocean.
(b) In urban areas.
(c) In universities.
3. Who introduces Hemingway to many famous authors and artists?
(a) His wife.
4. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman?
(a) He has lots of money.
(b) He attended a great university.
(c) He was an officer in the army.
(d) His father was a gentleman.
5. What is less challenging to Hemingway in Paris after his winter vacation?
(a) The language.
(b) The hills.
(c) The coldness.
(d) The strange people.
6. What does Hemingway feel his writing will become?
7. Where does Hemingway do much of his writing?
(a) His restroom.
(b) A park bench.
(c) A hotel room.
(d) A cafe.
8. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Sylvia's store?
9. Why is Hemingway comfortable in poverty?
(a) He knows it is temporary.
(b) His wife still loves him.
(c) He will get a large inheritance soon.
(d) He loves his work.
10. What does Hemingway make the man who interrupts him promise?
(a) To not tell his friends about the cafe.
(b) To not come back to the cafe.
(c) To leave him alone for an hour.
(d) To start writing again.
11. How does Hemingway define his friendship with Stein?
12. What kind of car does Stein drive?
(a) Old Buick.
(b) VW Station wagon.
(c) Model T.
(d) Toyota Corolla.
13. Who is Hemingway's favorite artist?
14. Who invites Hemingway and his wife to dinner?
(b) James Joyce.
15. Where will Hemingway and his family spend the winter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mike Ward's occupation?
2. Who types up Gertrude's writing?
3. Why does Mike NOT like horse racing?
4. What is Hemingway's wife's name?
5. What is Gertrude's last name?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)