|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do most book vendors find their books to sell?
(a) Park benches.
(b) Empty hotel rooms.
(c) Abandoned houses.
(d) The train station.
2. What doesHemingway do every day during his winter vacation?
(b) Take pictures.
3. What does Hemingway talk about at the beginning of the book?
(a) Strange women.
(b) Bad weather.
(c) The war.
4. What does Hemingway eat while he reads?
(a) Crepes and seltzer.
(d) Bread and wine.
5. How does Hemingway define his friendship with Stein?
6. Who is Hemingway's favorite artist?
7. Where is Chink from?
8. What does Hemingway make the man who interrupts him promise?
(a) To not tell his friends about the cafe.
(b) To start writing again.
(c) To leave him alone for an hour.
(d) To not come back to the cafe.
9. What river does Hemingway love to walk by?
(a) The Snake.
(b) The Danube.
(c) The Nile.
(d) The Seine.
10. How much money was in the envelope for Hemingway at the Shakespeare and Company?
(a) 600 Francs.
(b) 1200 Frans.
(c) 300 Francs.
(d) 1800 Francs.
11. Where is the newspaper located that Hemingway writes for?
12. Where do most of Hemingway's stories take place?
(a) Near the ocean.
(b) In universities.
(d) In urban areas.
13. Where will Hemingway and his family spend the winter?
14. Why does Hemingway know where Ford's party is being held?
(a) He has heard of it before.
(b) He walks by it daily.
(c) He has attended parties there before.
(d) He lived above it.
15. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman?
(a) He was an officer in the army.
(b) His father was a gentleman.
(c) He attended a great university.
(d) He has lots of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stein think caused Hemingway's generation to be the way it is?
2. Where does the story that Hemingway is writing at the beginning of the book take place?
3. Why is Hemingway comfortable in poverty?
4. What word does the man who interrupts Hemingway use to describe Hemingway's writing?
5. What bad habit does Stein think Hemingway takes to the extreme?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)