|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hemingway know where Ford's party is being held?
(a) He walks by it daily.
(b) He lived above it.
(c) He has attended parties there before.
(d) He has heard of it before.
2. What does Gertrude think of the story 'Up in Michigan'?
(a) It is obscene.
(b) It is predictable.
(c) It is stale.
(d) It is abstract.
3. What distracts Hemingway from his writing at the beginning of the book?
(a) A man singing.
(b) A gust of wind.
(c) A knocking on his door.
(d) A pretty girl.
4. What does Stein think caused Hemingway's generation to be the way it is?
(a) Their parents.
(b) Their schooling.
(c) The war.
(d) Their poverty.
5. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
(a) It is not a good paying job.
(b) It smells too strong for him.
(c) He does not like fish enough.
(d) He does not have the time.
6. Who introduces Hemingway to many famous authors and artists?
(c) His wife.
7. Where do most of Hemingway's stories take place?
(b) In universities.
(c) In urban areas.
(d) Near the ocean.
8. What doesHemingway do every day during his winter vacation?
(c) Take pictures.
9. What does Hemingway eat while he reads?
(b) Crepes and seltzer.
(c) Bread and wine.
10. What does Hemingway say would make the story about the interruption more interesting?
(a) If he had told the entire truth.
(b) If the man had become a well-known critic.
(c) If Hemingway had really blown up.
(d) If he had done what he wanted.
11. Who is Hemingway's favorite artist?
12. What does Sylvia Beach scold Hemingway for?
(a) Working too hard.
(b) Lying to his wife.
(c) Not eating.
(d) Not paying his bill.
13. How does Hemingway describe the part of Paris that he and his family lived in?
14. Why does Hemingway avoid the Cafe De Amateurs?
(a) The food is kind of expensive.
(b) He dislikes the smell.
(c) It is very crowded.
(d) He does not speak French.
15. Where is Sylvia Beach from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hillaire Belloc's occupation?
2. What does Hemingway do to distract himself from his own writing?
3. How does Hemingway feel about the fish caught in Paris?
4. What word does the man who interrupts Hemingway use to describe Hemingway's writing?
5. What other kind of racing does Hemingway become involved in?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)