|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Hemingway stop writing for the day?
(a) When he starts to feel rushed.
(b) When he can't figure out what to do next.
(c) When he knows what will happen next.
(d) When it gets too boring.
2. What does Hemingway's wife usually do during the early mornings?
(c) Practice piano.
3. What does Ford accuse his waiter of doing while he is with Hemingway at the cafe?
(a) Watering down his brandy.
(b) Giving him a bad look.
(c) Getting his order wrong.
(d) Taking too long to serve him.
4. What ends Hemingway's time in Paris?
(a) Hadley's death.
(b) A bankruptcy.
(c) An affair.
(d) He is robbed.
5. Why does Mike NOT like horse racing?
(a) He has lost a lot of money there.
(b) You have to bet to enjoy it.
(c) The races are too short.
(d) He thinks the horses are badly treated.
6. What does the goatherd sell as he herds his goats down the street?
7. How much money was in the envelope for Hemingway at the Shakespeare and Company?
(a) 1800 Francs.
(b) 1200 Frans.
(c) 600 Francs.
(d) 300 Francs.
8. What is Hillaire Belloc's occupation?
9. What kind of people used to frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
10. What does Stein think caused Hemingway's generation to be the way it is?
(a) Their poverty.
(b) Their schooling.
(c) Their parents.
(d) The war.
11. What does Hemingway say the man who interrupts him should be for a living?
12. What does Gertrude say Hemingway should NOT write?
(a) Personal details.
(b) Things that can't be published.
(c) Things the public won't understand.
(d) Biographical sketches.
13. Where is the newspaper located that Hemingway writes for?
14. How does Hemingway feel about the author that Stein recommends to him?
(a) He is not very impressed.
(b) He is jealous of her.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He despises her.
15. What does Hemingway carry for luck?
(a) A horse chestnut.
(b) His wife's scarf.
(c) A rabbit's ear.
(d) An old key.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Hemingway to many famous authors and artists?
2. Where is Chink from?
3. What author does Stein recommend that Hemingway read?
4. What does Hemingway like to think Cezanne felt while he was painting?
5. Why does Hemingway feel the way he does when he first enters Sylvia's store?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)