|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ford accuse his waiter of doing while he is with Hemingway at the cafe?
(a) Taking too long to serve him.
(b) Getting his order wrong.
(c) Giving him a bad look.
(d) Watering down his brandy.
2. Where does Hemingway put his racing budget?
(a) A college fund for his children.
(b) A box under his bed.
(c) A safety deposit box.
(d) The bank.
3. What famous person does Hemingway hope to see in Sylvia's shop?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) D.H. Lawrence.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Ezra Pound.
4. Where do most book vendors find their books to sell?
(a) Abandoned houses.
(b) Park benches.
(c) Empty hotel rooms.
(d) The train station.
5. How many of Hemingway's racing stories survive?
6. What author does Stein recommend that Hemingway read?
7. What does Hemingway want to write stories about?
(a) People he has known.
(b) Things he wishes he could do.
(c) Things he knows.
(d) Things he has done.
8. Where is Hemingway at the beginning of the book?
(a) St. Petersburg.
(c) New York.
9. What does Hemingway lie to Hadley about while he is hungry?
(a) Meeting with male friends.
(b) Getting a paycheck soon.
(c) Eating lunch with friends.
(d) The amount in the bank account.
10. What is Ford's occupation?
11. What does Stein call Hemingway's generation?
(a) The Missing Generation.
(b) The Lost Generation.
(c) The Needed Generation.
(d) The Angry Generation.
12. What does Hemingway's wife say that Hemingway often has in his life to help him?
(c) Good timing.
13. What river does Hemingway love to walk by?
(a) The Nile.
(b) The Danube.
(c) The Snake.
(d) The Seine.
14. What does Hemingway like to watch while he reads?
(a) Walking people.
(b) Birds on the statues.
(c) New lovers.
15. What does Hemingway talk about at the beginning of the book?
(a) Strange women.
(b) Bad weather.
(c) The war.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway say he feels about the privacy at his cafe?
2. How does Hemingway feel about the author that Stein recommends to him?
3. Where does Hemingway hope his stories will be sold one day?
4. What does the goatherd sell as he herds his goats down the street?
5. What is Hillaire Belloc's occupation?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)