|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
(a) It is not a good paying job.
(b) He does not have the time.
(c) It smells too strong for him.
(d) He does not like fish enough.
2. What kind of people used to frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
3. Who does Hemingway know would lend him money if he needed it?
4. Where does Hemingway put his racing budget?
(a) A safety deposit box.
(b) A college fund for his children.
(c) The bank.
(d) A box under his bed.
5. What does Hemingway say would make the story about the interruption more interesting?
(a) If he had told the entire truth.
(b) If the man had become a well-known critic.
(c) If he had done what he wanted.
(d) If Hemingway had really blown up.
6. How many of Hemingway's racing stories survive?
7. What does Hemingway like to do early in the morning?
8. Who introduces Hemingway to many famous authors and artists?
(d) His wife.
9. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his times at the racetrack?
(a) It gives Hadley something to look forward to.
(b) It does not come between him and his wife.
(c) It distracts them from fighting.
(d) It makes them a good income.
10. Where does Hemingway do much of his writing?
(a) His restroom.
(b) A hotel room.
(c) A park bench.
(d) A cafe.
11. What does Hemingway's wife say that Hemingway often has in his life to help him?
(a) Good timing.
12. What does Gertrude think of the story 'Up in Michigan'?
(a) It is abstract.
(b) It is obscene.
(c) It is predictable.
(d) It is stale.
13. What is less challenging to Hemingway in Paris after his winter vacation?
(a) The coldness.
(b) The language.
(c) The strange people.
(d) The hills.
14. What does Stein think caused Hemingway's generation to be the way it is?
(a) The war.
(b) Their schooling.
(c) Their poverty.
(d) Their parents.
15. What does Hemingway talk about at the beginning of the book?
(a) Strange women.
(c) Bad weather.
(d) The war.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ford say Hemingway looks when he sits with him at the cafe?
2. What does Hemingway's wife want to buy to have at the race track?
3. Where is Chink from?
4. What kind of paper does Hemingway buy after the goatherd passes?
5. What is the name of Gertrude's partner?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)