|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sylvia Beach scold Hemingway for?
(a) Working too hard.
(b) Lying to his wife.
(c) Not paying his bill.
(d) Not eating.
2. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound?
(a) He spilled coffee on her tablecloth.
(b) He broke one of her chairs.
(c) He refused to publish her work.
(d) He was rude to her lover.
3. What famous person does Hemingway hope to see in Sylvia's shop?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) D.H. Lawrence.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Ezra Pound.
4. What is sold at Lipp's?
5. What kind of paper does Hemingway buy after the goatherd passes?
6. What does Hemingway say would make the story about the interruption more interesting?
(a) If he had done what he wanted.
(b) If the man had become a well-known critic.
(c) If Hemingway had really blown up.
(d) If he had told the entire truth.
7. What doesHemingway do every day during his winter vacation?
(d) Take pictures.
8. What does Hemingway like to watch while he reads?
(b) Birds on the statues.
(c) New lovers.
(d) Walking people.
9. What kind of people now frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
10. What country sent a letter for Hemingway to the Shakespeare and Company?
11. What does Hemingway carry for luck?
(a) A rabbit's ear.
(b) His wife's scarf.
(c) A horse chestnut.
(d) An old key.
12. What is Hemingway's favorite season in Paris?
13. What does Hemingway make the man who interrupts him promise?
(a) To not come back to the cafe.
(b) To not tell his friends about the cafe.
(c) To start writing again.
(d) To leave him alone for an hour.
14. What does Hemingway say the man who interrupts him should be for a living?
15. What ends Hemingway's time in Paris?
(a) A bankruptcy.
(b) Hadley's death.
(c) An affair.
(d) He is robbed.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Hemingway stop writing for the day?
2. What does Hemingway like to write in?
3. Why does Hemingway know where Ford's party is being held?
4. What does Hemingway NOT do after his tender chat about love with his wife?
5. What is Gertrude's last name?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)