|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hemingway like to sit under at his favorite cafe?
2. What does Stein like Hemingway to talk about?
(a) His past romances.
(b) Stories from the war.
(c) His writing techniques.
(d) His journalism travels.
3. Who introduces Hemingway to many famous authors and artists?
(a) His wife.
4. What does Sylvia Beach decorate her store with?
(a) Pages of books.
(b) Symbols from literature.
(c) Random photographs.
(d) Pictures of authors.
5. What river does Hemingway love to walk by?
(a) The Snake.
(b) The Nile.
(c) The Danube.
(d) The Seine.
6. Where is Hemingway at the beginning of the book?
(c) St. Petersburg.
(d) New York.
7. What does Hemingway like to write in?
(d) Old books.
8. How does Sylvia treat Hemingway?
9. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
(a) He does not have the time.
(b) It smells too strong for him.
(c) It is not a good paying job.
(d) He does not like fish enough.
10. What odd article of clothing was Belloc wearing when Hemingway first saw him?
(a) Frilly collar.
(b) Top hat.
(c) Woman's bracelet.
11. How does Hemingway justify his time at the race track?
(a) He usually wins.
(b) He limits his spending amount.
(c) He writes about it.
(d) He bets wisely.
12. What ends Hemingway's time in Paris?
(a) A bankruptcy.
(b) An affair.
(c) Hadley's death.
(d) He is robbed.
13. What does Hemingway order for himself while he is writing at the beginning of the book?
(b) Gin and Tonic.
(c) A rum.
14. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his times at the racetrack?
(a) It gives Hadley something to look forward to.
(b) It distracts them from fighting.
(c) It makes them a good income.
(d) It does not come between him and his wife.
15. What is Ford's occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway describe the part of Paris that he and his family lived in?
2. Who does Hemingway know would lend him money if he needed it?
3. What does Hemingway feel his writing will become?
4. How many race bets does Hemingway win?
5. What kind of poles do the Paris fishermen use?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)