|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hemingway's favorite artist?
2. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
(a) It is not a good paying job.
(b) It smells too strong for him.
(c) He does not like fish enough.
(d) He does not have the time.
3. What does Ford accuse his waiter of doing while he is with Hemingway at the cafe?
(a) Giving him a bad look.
(b) Getting his order wrong.
(c) Watering down his brandy.
(d) Taking too long to serve him.
4. Who types up Gertrude's writing?
(b) Hemingway's wife.
5. What does Hemingway say heightens his perception of the paintings in the museum?
(a) His life experience.
(b) His desire to create.
(c) His hunger.
(d) His self-loathing.
6. What does Hemingway order for himself while he is writing at the beginning of the book?
(b) A rum.
(d) Gin and Tonic.
7. What does Hemingway's wife say that Hemingway often has in his life to help him?
(b) Good timing.
8. What kind of people used to frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
9. How many race tracks does Hemingway switch off between?
10. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound?
(a) He was rude to her lover.
(b) He spilled coffee on her tablecloth.
(c) He broke one of her chairs.
(d) He refused to publish her work.
11. What is Hemingway's wife's name?
12. What does Hemingway like to do early in the morning?
13. What bad habit does Stein think Hemingway takes to the extreme?
(a) Taking drugs.
14. What author does Stein recommend that Hemingway read?
15. What does Gertrude think of the story 'Up in Michigan'?
(a) It is abstract.
(b) It is predictable.
(c) It is stale.
(d) It is obscene.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ford say Hemingway looks when he sits with him at the cafe?
2. What does Ford order when he sits with Hemingway at the cafe?
3. What doesHemingway do every day during his winter vacation?
4. What does Stein base her literary tastes on?
5. What is Gertrude's last name?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)