|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hemingway say all critics start every sentence with?
(a) Their opinion.
(b) A grumble.
(c) A long word.
(d) Their name.
2. Where does Hemingway like to go for reading material?
(a) Shakespeare and Company.
(b) The Book Nook.
(c) The Globe Library.
(d) Williams Novels.
3. What does Sylvia Beach decorate her store with?
(a) Random photographs.
(b) Pictures of authors.
(c) Pages of books.
(d) Symbols from literature.
4. What does Hemingway say heightens his perception of the paintings in the museum?
(a) His hunger.
(b) His life experience.
(c) His desire to create.
(d) His self-loathing.
5. Where do most of Hemingway's stories take place?
(a) In urban areas.
(c) Near the ocean.
(d) In universities.
6. How does Hemingway feel about the fish caught in Paris?
(a) They are delicious.
(b) They are disgusting.
(c) They are fish.
(d) They are nothing special.
7. What does Gertrude think of the story 'Up in Michigan'?
(a) It is predictable.
(b) It is stale.
(c) It is obscene.
(d) It is abstract.
8. What language does Hemingway say certain races have to be written in?
9. Why does Hemingway feel the way he does when he first enters Sylvia's store?
(a) He is not dressed well.
(b) He does not have the money for the lending club.
(c) He is very attracted to Sylvia.
(d) He knows famous people frequent the store.
10. Where do most book vendors find their books to sell?
(a) Park benches.
(b) The train station.
(c) Abandoned houses.
(d) Empty hotel rooms.
11. How does Hemingway feel when he finishes a story?
(a) Lonely and afraid.
(b) Satisfied and bored.
(c) Angry and alone.
(d) Happy and sad.
12. What does Hemingway like to do early in the morning?
13. What does Hemingway's wife want to buy to have at the race track?
14. What does Hemingway say would make the story about the interruption more interesting?
(a) If he had told the entire truth.
(b) If the man had become a well-known critic.
(c) If he had done what he wanted.
(d) If Hemingway had really blown up.
15. Who types up Gertrude's writing?
(c) Hemingway's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other kind of racing does Hemingway become involved in?
2. How does Hemingway say he feels about the privacy at his cafe?
3. Where is the newspaper located that Hemingway writes for?
4. How many race tracks does Hemingway switch off between?
5. Where does Hemingway do much of his writing?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)