|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country sent a letter for Hemingway to the Shakespeare and Company?
2. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
(a) He does not have the time.
(b) It is not a good paying job.
(c) He does not like fish enough.
(d) It smells too strong for him.
3. What does Stein think caused Hemingway's generation to be the way it is?
(a) Their poverty.
(b) Their parents.
(c) The war.
(d) Their schooling.
4. What kind of people now frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
5. Where does Hemingway like to go for reading material?
(a) The Globe Library.
(b) The Book Nook.
(c) Shakespeare and Company.
(d) Williams Novels.
6. Why is Hemingway comfortable in poverty?
(a) He knows it is temporary.
(b) His wife still loves him.
(c) He will get a large inheritance soon.
(d) He loves his work.
7. Where is Chink from?
8. How does Hemingway feel about the author that Stein recommends to him?
(a) He is not very impressed.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He is jealous of her.
(d) He despises her.
9. What does Gertrude think of the story 'Up in Michigan'?
(a) It is predictable.
(b) It is obscene.
(c) It is abstract.
(d) It is stale.
10. What famous person does Hemingway hope to see in Sylvia's shop?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
11. What does Hemingway feel his writing will become?
12. What is the current occupation of the man who interrupts Hemingway at the cafe?
13. What does the goatherd sell as he herds his goats down the street?
14. What does Hemingway's wife usually do during the early mornings?
(c) Practice piano.
15. What does Hemingway say would make the story about the interruption more interesting?
(a) If the man had become a well-known critic.
(b) If he had done what he wanted.
(c) If Hemingway had really blown up.
(d) If he had told the entire truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway order for himself while he is writing at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Hemingway carry for luck?
3. What is the name of Gertrude's partner?
4. What does Hemingway do to distract himself from his own writing?
5. Where do most of Hemingway's stories take place?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)