|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distracts Hemingway from his writing at the beginning of the book?
(a) A man singing.
(b) A pretty girl.
(c) A knocking on his door.
(d) A gust of wind.
2. What is Hillaire Belloc's occupation?
3. Where is the newspaper located that Hemingway writes for?
4. Where does Hemingway do much of his writing?
(a) A park bench.
(b) A cafe.
(c) His restroom.
(d) A hotel room.
5. What odd article of clothing was Belloc wearing when Hemingway first saw him?
(a) Top hat.
(b) Frilly collar.
(c) Woman's bracelet.
6. What does Hemingway like to imagine while he writes?
(a) That he is in the time and place of the story.
(b) That his life depends on the writing.
(c) That he is a king with no worries.
(d) That he will make a fortune off of the story.
7. What does Hemingway NOT do after his tender chat about love with his wife?
(a) Look her in the eye.
(b) Feel satisfied.
(c) Knock on wood.
(d) Write about his feelings.
8. Where do most book vendors find their books to sell?
(a) The train station.
(b) Abandoned houses.
(c) Park benches.
(d) Empty hotel rooms.
9. What does Hemingway like to do early in the morning?
10. What does Hemingway talk about at the beginning of the book?
(a) Strange women.
(b) Bad weather.
(d) The war.
11. What does Hemingway do to distract himself from his own writing?
(a) Goes on walks.
(c) Reads books.
(d) Visits museums.
12. Why is Hemingway often hungry?
(a) He refuses to eat until his work is done.
(b) He spends all his money on alcohol.
(c) He does not have money.
(d) He is on a diet.
13. What does Stein think caused Hemingway's generation to be the way it is?
(a) Their poverty.
(b) Their schooling.
(c) Their parents.
(d) The war.
14. What does Hemingway feel his writing will become?
15. Where do most of Hemingway's stories take place?
(a) In urban areas.
(b) Near the ocean.
(c) In universities.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway describe the part of Paris that he and his family lived in?
2. Who invites Hemingway and his wife to dinner?
3. What is Ford's occupation?
4. What does Hemingway say heightens his perception of the paintings in the museum?
5. How does Hadley always feel at the racetrack?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)