|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hemingway carry for luck?
(a) An old key.
(b) A rabbit's ear.
(c) His wife's scarf.
(d) A horse chestnut.
2. What does Sylvia Beach decorate her store with?
(a) Symbols from literature.
(b) Pages of books.
(c) Pictures of authors.
(d) Random photographs.
3. Why does Hemingway feel the way he does when he first enters Sylvia's store?
(a) He knows famous people frequent the store.
(b) He does not have the money for the lending club.
(c) He is not dressed well.
(d) He is very attracted to Sylvia.
4. Who introduces Hemingway to many famous authors and artists?
(a) His wife.
5. Where does Hemingway get a lot of inspiration?
6. What restaurant does Hemingway take his wife to after winning at the races?
7. How many race tracks does Hemingway switch off between?
8. What does Sylvia Beach scold Hemingway for?
(a) Working too hard.
(b) Not eating.
(c) Not paying his bill.
(d) Lying to his wife.
9. What does Hemingway do to distract himself from his own writing?
(a) Reads books.
(b) Goes on walks.
(d) Visits museums.
10. How does Hemingway describe the part of Paris that he and his family lived in?
11. What does Stein call Hemingway's generation?
(a) The Lost Generation.
(b) The Missing Generation.
(c) The Angry Generation.
(d) The Needed Generation.
12. How does Ford say Hemingway looks when he sits with him at the cafe?
13. When does Hemingway stop writing for the day?
(a) When he knows what will happen next.
(b) When he starts to feel rushed.
(c) When it gets too boring.
(d) When he can't figure out what to do next.
14. What does Hemingway feel his writing will become?
15. What country sent a letter for Hemingway to the Shakespeare and Company?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hemingway work the day after he is interrupted?
2. Where does Hemingway put his racing budget?
3. What does Stein think caused Hemingway's generation to be the way it is?
4. What other kind of racing does Hemingway become involved in?
5. What kind of people used to frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)