|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hemingway's favorite season in Paris?
2. What does Ford accuse his waiter of doing while he is with Hemingway at the cafe?
(a) Giving him a bad look.
(b) Taking too long to serve him.
(c) Watering down his brandy.
(d) Getting his order wrong.
3. What kind of books does Hemingway love to find on his walks?
4. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his times at the racetrack?
(a) It gives Hadley something to look forward to.
(b) It does not come between him and his wife.
(c) It makes them a good income.
(d) It distracts them from fighting.
5. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman?
(a) His father was a gentleman.
(b) He attended a great university.
(c) He was an officer in the army.
(d) He has lots of money.
6. What does Hemingway say heightens his perception of the paintings in the museum?
(a) His desire to create.
(b) His hunger.
(c) His life experience.
(d) His self-loathing.
7. What does Hemingway lie to Hadley about while he is hungry?
(a) Eating lunch with friends.
(b) Meeting with male friends.
(c) Getting a paycheck soon.
(d) The amount in the bank account.
8. What river does Hemingway love to walk by?
(a) The Nile.
(b) The Danube.
(c) The Seine.
(d) The Snake.
9. What does Sylvia Beach decorate her store with?
(a) Random photographs.
(b) Pages of books.
(c) Symbols from literature.
(d) Pictures of authors.
10. Why is Hemingway comfortable in poverty?
(a) He will get a large inheritance soon.
(b) He loves his work.
(c) His wife still loves him.
(d) He knows it is temporary.
11. What does Hemingway say he did not have enough money for?
12. How many race tracks does Hemingway switch off between?
13. What does Hemingway order for himself while he is writing at the beginning of the book?
(b) A rum.
(c) Gin and Tonic.
14. What does Hemingway want to write stories about?
(a) Things he wishes he could do.
(b) People he has known.
(c) Things he has done.
(d) Things he knows.
15. What restaurant does Hemingway take his wife to after winning at the races?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hemingway do much of his writing?
2. What does Hemingway do to distract himself from his own writing?
3. Why does Hemingway feel the way he does when he first enters Sylvia's store?
4. When does Hemingway stop writing for the day?
5. What does Gertrude say Hemingway should NOT write?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)