|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Prior Robert not allow to bother him now that he believes his mission was successful?
2. What does Brother Columbanus claim that St. Winifred told him in a dream about the brothers' mission?
3. When the people see the arrangement of Brother Columbanus' clothing when they go to release him from vigil duty, what do they think happened?
4. What do Sioned and Brother Cadfael believe Brother Columbanus wants, now that he claims he has been chosen to communicate with St. Winifred?
5. What brings Brother John and Annest together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brother John take advantage of his punishment?
2. What news does Bened relay to Brother Cadfael during Bened's pilgrimage to Walsingham?
3. What is the dilemma faced by Brother Cadfael regarding Brother Columbanus being found guilty or not guilty of murdering Rhisiart?
4. How does Brother Cadfael explain miracles?
5. What are the results when Sioned strays from the plan to test Brother Columbanus to see if he killed Rhisiart?
6. Because the body of a murderer seems to be bringing as many miracles as the bones of a saint, what conclusion can we draw about the connection between beliefs, logic, faith, and miracles?
7. What does Brother Cadfael believe about the miracles St. Winifred is creating at her true grave in Gwytherin?
8. Describe the behavior of Dame Branwen, Peredur's mother, as Brother Cadfael sees her when Father Huw asks him to help.
9. What does Brother Columbanus claim that St. Winifred told him in a dream?
10. What does Brother Cadfael do to manage Prior Robert when Bened tells of the miracles occurring at St. Winifred's former grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In A Morbid Taste for Bones: A Mediaeval Whodunnit, we learn a great deal about Brother Cadfael. 1) List four adjectives that describe Brother Cadfael's personality. Include an example from the story to explain each adjective. 2) What is a value or belief Brother Cadfael has? 3) How does he act on this value or belief? 4) How does Brother Cadfael change as the book progresses? 5) What causes him to change?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a situation in the story in which Brother Cadfael acted in a way you disagree with. Describe the situation. Why did Brother Cadfael act this way? What were the consequences of his actions? Why do you disagree with Brother Cadfael's reaction to the situation? How would you have reacted? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Internal conflict affects different characters in the story. Choose a character who faces internal conflict. Explain what the conflict is, how the character attempts to resolve the internal conflict, if the conflict is resolved and how it is resolved, if the conflict is not resolved, why it is not resolved, and what you learned about the character from the internal conflict. How does the resolution or lack of resolution of the internal conflict affect the character?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)