|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Bened bring to Brother Cadfael about Sioned and Engelard?
2. With whom does Peredur walk in the procession to St. Winifred's chapel?
3. How does Brother Cadfael feel when he discovers the condition of the bottle of poppy seed syrup?
4. How does Brother Cadfael feel, now that the situation with Brother Columbanus and St. Winifred has been concluded?
5. What keeps the people from making Brother Columbanus a saint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brother Cadfael do to manage Prior Robert when Bened tells of the miracles occurring at St. Winifred's former grave?
2. What is Brother Cadafel's plan to handle the situation involving St. Winifred's remains and Brother Columbanus' body?
3. What news does Bened relay to Brother Cadfael during Bened's pilgrimage to Walsingham?
4. Contrast Brother Cadfael's thoughts about St. Winifred and Prince Cradoc with those of the community regarding St. Winifred and Prince Cradoc.
5. What is Peredur's confession at Rhisiart's funeral?
6. How does Prior Robert deal with Brother Cadfael's plan to trap Rhisiart's murderer while the vigil is held at St. Winifred's grave?
7. How do Brother Cadfael and Sioned test Brother Columbanus to determine if he killed Rhisiart?
8. How does Brother Cadfael capitalize on the people's faith and belief in miracles when he conceals Brother Columbanus' death?
9. What are the results when Sioned strays from the plan to test Brother Columbanus to see if he killed Rhisiart?
10. Describe the behavior of Dame Branwen, Peredur's mother, as Brother Cadfael sees her when Father Huw asks him to help.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a situation in the story in which Brother Cadfael acted in a way you disagree with. Describe the situation. Why did Brother Cadfael act this way? What were the consequences of his actions? Why do you disagree with Brother Cadfael's reaction to the situation? How would you have reacted? Why?
Essay Topic 2
List the main events from A Morbid Taste for Bones: A Mediaeval Whodunnit. Could you change the order of the main events or leave out any main events? Why or why not? What does this say about the author's organization of the material? Why might he have organized it the way he did?
Essay Topic 3
Several components of quality literature include:
1) a use of descriptive word
2) a use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) an appeal to the five senses.
Is A Morbid Taste for Bones: A Mediaeval Whodunnit an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)