|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps the people from making Brother Columbanus a saint?
2. What does Brother Cadfael say about the solution to the murder Brother Columbanus' dream brings?
3. Who changes his mind and allows Peredur to join the procession to St. Winifred's chapel?
4. Where are Prior Robert and the other brothers gathered when Sioned and her servants approach?
5. How does Brother Columbanus injure Sioned when he tries to kill her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peredur's confession at Rhisiart's funeral?
2. What does Brother Cadfael believe about St. Winifred when Sioned tells him why she deviated from the plan to get Brother Columbanus to confess to her father's murder?
3. Why should anyone who knows about Brother Cadfael's plan to handle St. Winifred's remains and Brother Columbanus' body not speak of it until the brothers have left Gwytherin?
4. Contrast Brother Cadfael's thoughts about St. Winifred and Prince Cradoc with those of the community regarding St. Winifred and Prince Cradoc.
5. What does Brother Columbanus claim that St. Winifred told him in a dream?
6. What are the results when Sioned strays from the plan to test Brother Columbanus to see if he killed Rhisiart?
7. What is Annest's concern about Brother John and how is her concern dealt with?
8. How does Brother Cadfael explain miracles?
9. What are Brother Columbanus' possible motives, according to Sioned and Brother Cadfael?
10. What is Brother Cadafel's plan to handle the situation involving St. Winifred's remains and Brother Columbanus' body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A stereotype is a broad generalization about a certain group of people or a type of person that implies the members of this group have no individual qualities. In the time A Morbid Taste for Bones: A Mediaeval Whodunnit was set, society had certain expectations for females, a cultural female stereotype. What was the cultural female stereotype during the time the story was set? Which characters represent the stereotypical female of the time? How? Which characters defy the female stereotype of the time? How? Which male characters support the female stereotype? How do you know? Which male characters support the individuality of the female? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Name a character, other than the main characters, who is important to the story. Why is the character important? Could the story have been written without this character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a situation in the story in which Brother Cadfael acted in a way you disagree with. Describe the situation. Why did Brother Cadfael act this way? What were the consequences of his actions? Why do you disagree with Brother Cadfael's reaction to the situation? How would you have reacted? Why?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)