|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Brother Columbanus injure Sioned when he tries to kill her?
(a) Blackens her eye.
(b) Knocks her unconscious.
(c) Breaks her leg.
(d) Cuts her arm.
2. What is the topic of discussion at the meeting Brother Cadfael goes to after leaving Father Huw?
(a) Rhisiart's holdings.
(b) Dame Branwen's condition.
(c) A woman's place in society.
(d) How divided the town has become.
3. What is strange about the contents of the bottle of poppy seed syrup with which Brother Cadfael wants to treat Dame Branwen?
(a) A large amount is missing.
(b) It is an unusual color.
(c) The bottle is empty.
(d) It has a strange odor.
4. What news does Bened bring to Brother Cadfael about Brother John and Annest?
(a) They are married.
(b) They have not seen each other since Brother John's escape.
(c) They have moved to England.
(d) They each married other people.
5. What brings Brother John and Annest together?
(a) Brother John's punishment.
(b) Rhisiart's funeral.
(c) A prayer vigil.
(d) Questioning by the law officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what condition is Dame Branwen, Peredur's mother, when Father Huw asks Brother Cadfael for help with her?
2. Which law official arrives to investigate Rhisiart's murder?
3. Whom does Annest say wants Brother John arrested immediately?
4. What does Brother Cadfael say about the solution to the murder Brother Columbanus' dream brings?
5. How does Sioned feel when she hears that St. Winifred forgives her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Prior Robert deal with Brother Cadfael's plan to trap Rhisiart's murderer while the vigil is held at St. Winifred's grave?
2. What does Brother Columbanus claim that St. Winifred told him in a dream?
3. What are Brother Columbanus' possible motives, according to Sioned and Brother Cadfael?
4. What news does Bened relay to Brother Cadfael during Bened's pilgrimage to Walsingham?
5. What does Brother Cadfael believe about St. Winifred when Sioned tells him why she deviated from the plan to get Brother Columbanus to confess to her father's murder?
6. How does Brother Cadfael capitalize on the people's faith and belief in miracles when he conceals Brother Columbanus' death?
7. What does Brother Cadfael do to manage Prior Robert when Bened tells of the miracles occurring at St. Winifred's former grave?
8. What are the results when Sioned strays from the plan to test Brother Columbanus to see if he killed Rhisiart?
9. How does Brother Cadfael explain miracles?
10. Describe the behavior of Dame Branwen, Peredur's mother, as Brother Cadfael sees her when Father Huw asks him to help.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)