|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a rest on the way back to Shrewsbury, what does Brother Jerome tell Brother Cadfael about St. Winifred's bones?
(a) Her bones are not in her coffin.
(b) Her bones have crumbled to dust.
(c) That Brother Cadfael should have more faith in the power of St. Winifred's bones.
(d) Her bones have begun to bring miracles.
2. When does Brother Columbanus realize the form appearing in front of him is Sioned?
(a) When he recognizes her clothing.
(b) When he realizes St. Winifred should be speaking Welsh, not English.
(c) When he recognizes her voice.
(d) When he tears the veil from her face.
3. What does Father Huw thank Brother Cadfael for after Brother Cadfael helps Dame Branwen?
(a) For his advanced medical training.
(b) For thinking clearly in an emergency.
(c) For his devotion to God.
(d) For knowing how to deal with women.
4. When the people see the arrangement of Brother Columbanus' clothing when they go to release him from vigil duty, what do they think happened?
(a) He is playing a practical joke.
(c) He was kidnapped.
(d) A miraculous event.
5. What is strange about the contents of the bottle of poppy seed syrup with which Brother Cadfael wants to treat Dame Branwen?
(a) It is an unusual color.
(b) The bottle is empty.
(c) It has a strange odor.
(d) A large amount is missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Engelard's new lord?
2. After Sioned, Brother Cadfael, and Engelard discover that Brother Columbanus is dead, what does Engelard suggest they do?
3. How does Sioned feel when she hears that St. Winifred forgives her father?
4. What did Sioned and Engelard name their son?
5. Where is Brother Columbanus when he awakens to a soft voice calling out to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Annest's concern about Brother John and how is her concern dealt with?
2. What is the dilemma faced by Brother Cadfael regarding Brother Columbanus being found guilty or not guilty of murdering Rhisiart?
3. What does Brother Cadfael believe about St. Winifred when Sioned tells him why she deviated from the plan to get Brother Columbanus to confess to her father's murder?
4. What are the results when Sioned strays from the plan to test Brother Columbanus to see if he killed Rhisiart?
5. What does Brother Cadfael believe about the miracles St. Winifred is creating at her true grave in Gwytherin?
6. What news does Bened relay to Brother Cadfael during Bened's pilgrimage to Walsingham?
7. Describe the behavior of Dame Branwen, Peredur's mother, as Brother Cadfael sees her when Father Huw asks him to help.
8. What does Brother Columbanus claim that St. Winifred told him in a dream?
9. How does Dame Branwen's behavior help build suspicion against Brother Columbanus?
10. Why should anyone who knows about Brother Cadfael's plan to handle St. Winifred's remains and Brother Columbanus' body not speak of it until the brothers have left Gwytherin?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)