|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brother Cadfael realize about Peredur's relationship with Rhisiart when he considers Peredur as a suspect in Rhisiart's murder?
(a) Peredur liked Rhisiart.
(b) Peredur and Rhisiart respected each other, but frequently argued.
(c) Peredur's relationship with Rhisiart only recently became strained.
(d) Peredur disliked Rhisiart.
2. What does Sioned want to do when she first reaches the murder scene of her father?
(a) Throw herself on her father's body.
(b) Kill Prior Robert.
(c) Run and hide.
(d) Pray and meditate.
3. Whom does Father Huw tell Prior Robert that the saints live to honor?
(b) Other saints.
(c) The Lord.
(d) Their parents.
4. To what does Prior Robert invite Rhisiart so Prior Robert can try to work out their differences?
(b) A prayer meeting.
5. What does Brother Cadfael learn about the home of Bened, the town smith?
(a) It is haunted.
(b) Small nightly gatherings are held there.
(c) It was once an abbey.
(d) Travelers use it as a rest stop.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Brother Cadfael gives Peredur the message from Sioned, what does he learn about Cal?
2. Why does Prior Robert think the journey to Gwytherin proceeded so smoothly?
3. What does Brother Columbanus say is the only thing he will take in until they accomplish their goal?
4. Who finds Rhisiart's dead body?
5. What is special about the spring that Winifred describes in the dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Prior Robert hears Father Huw's news from the meeting with the heads of the parish, what does he do?
2. How does Brother Jerome's dream of Winifred benefit Brother Columbanus?
3. What do Rhisiart and the townspeople believe about Prior Robert's proposal and how does Prior Robert respond?
4. How does Brother Jerome's dream about St. Winifred affect Prior Robert?
5. The morning after Rhisiart's murder, why does Brother Columbanus look withdrawn and distracted?
6. What are Father Huw's views on the approval of Prior Robert's proposal by Bishop David and Prince Owain and the approval of the townspeople?
7. What confuses Father Huw and the Welsh girl Brother Cadfael meets regarding Prior Robert's mission?
8. Contrast Brother Cadfael's approach to dealing with the townspeople with Prior Robert's approach to dealing with the townspeople.
9. At the end of Chapter 4, after Rhisiart's death, who are the suspects and why?
10. What do we learn about Brother Cadfael from his response to Rhisiart's murder?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)