|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of the message Brother Cadfael relays to Peredur from Sioned?
(d) Agreement to marriage.
2. Because the prince has gone south and the sheriff and bailiff are tending to business while he is gone, what won't they have time to do?
(a) Investigate Rhisiart's murder.
(b) Arrest Prior Robert for bribery.
(c) Deal with Brother John's crime.
(d) Attend a vigil at St. Winifred's grave.
3. Where is Brother Cadfael working when he is called for mass?
(a) In the church sanctuary.
(b) In the monastery library.
(c) In the monastery garden.
(d) In the monastery kitchen.
4. How does Brother Cadfael persuade Abbot Heribert that he is necessary on the expedition to Gwytherin?
(a) Brother Cadfael will help protect Prior Robert.
(b) Brother Cadfael will acquire herbs for medicinal use.
(c) Brother Cadfael will watch over Brother John.
(d) Brother Cadfael will be a Welsh translator.
5. What does Brother Cadfael tell Sioned at the site of Rhisiart's murder?
(a) She must remain at the site of the murder.
(b) Harming others in revenge is a sin.
(c) Prayer and meditation won't help now.
(d) Don't disturb the murder scene.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Engelard's alibi when Rhisiart was killed?
2. What does Brother Cadfael learn about Rhisiart's marital status at Bened's house?
3. Why do Brother Cadfael and Sioned decide that it does not make sense that Rhisiart's clothing was dry on the front and wet on the back?
4. After Prior Robert talks about the importance of acquiring a relic for the abbey, why do the brothers run outside?
5. What happens to Prince Cradoc after he cuts off Winifred's head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What myth about a murderer going near or touching the murder victim does Sioned relate to Brother Cadfael?
2. What does Brother Cadfael confide to Cal regarding the transfer of St. Winifred to Shrewsbury?
3. What do we learn about Brother John from his reaction to Prior Robert's desire to obtain relics for the abbey?
4. Contrast Engelard's views on running away from Rhisiart's murder scene with Peredur's reaction to running away.
5. What do we learn about Prior Robert from his behavior toward the townspeople of Gwytherin as he tries to get his proposal approved?
6. What confuses Father Huw and the Welsh girl Brother Cadfael meets regarding Prior Robert's mission?
7. When Rhisiart doesn't come to the dinner meeting to work out the differences with Prior Robert, what does Prior Robert believe about him?
8. How do Rhisiart and Sioned treat each other, especially regarding marriage?
9. How are Padrig's beliefs about women representative of the general opinion of women during the 12th century, the time at which the story was set?
10. Contrast Brother Cadfael's and Brother John's devotion to Prior Robert with Brother Jerome's and Brother Columbanus' devotion to Prior Robert.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)