|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sioned, Brother Cadfael, and Engelard discover that Brother Columbanus is dead, what does Engelard suggest they do?
(a) Pray for forgiveness.
(b) Run away.
(c) Tell the truth to a law official.
(d) Blame his death on a group of outlaws.
2. What does Brother Columbanus claim that St. Winifred told him in a dream about the brothers' mission?
(a) Someone stands in the way of their goal.
(b) They are doing the right thing.
(c) They should abandon their mission.
(d) They are looking in the wrong place.
3. When does Brother Columbanus realize the form appearing in front of him is Sioned?
(a) When he recognizes her voice.
(b) When he realizes St. Winifred should be speaking Welsh, not English.
(c) When he recognizes her clothing.
(d) When he tears the veil from her face.
4. What excuse does Prior Robert give for not being able to help Brother Richard hold vigil on the second night?
(a) He is busy with the bailiff.
(b) He is afraid to approach Rhisiart's body.
(c) He needs to meet with Prince Owain and Bishop David.
(d) The sheriff will be questioning him.
5. How does Peredur react when Sioned makes her request to him before they bury her father?
(a) He is shaking and sweating.
(b) He collapses on the ground.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He immediatley honors Sioned's request without incident.
6. During a rest on the way back to Shrewsbury, what does Brother Jerome tell Brother Cadfael about St. Winifred's bones?
(a) Her bones are not in her coffin.
(b) Her bones have begun to bring miracles.
(c) That Brother Cadfael should have more faith in the power of St. Winifred's bones.
(d) Her bones have crumbled to dust.
7. The morning after the third vigil, what happens to Brother Columbanus?
(a) He is taken away to the church.
(b) He awakens from his trance.
(c) He breaks into a sweat when he touches Rhisiart's body.
(d) He is taken to Sioned's home.
8. What is strange about the contents of the bottle of poppy seed syrup with which Brother Cadfael wants to treat Dame Branwen?
(a) The bottle is empty.
(b) It is an unusual color.
(c) It has a strange odor.
(d) A large amount is missing.
9. What does Brother Columbanus do when the voice accuses him of killing Rhisiart?
(a) Immediately confesses.
(b) Immediately denies his guilt.
(c) Cries out for help.
(d) Goes into a trance.
10. What does Prior Robert notice about the stories Bened tells of what is happening at St. Winifred's former grave?
(a) The stories of the miracles are greater than what is occurring at Shrewsbury.
(b) Bened seems to be embarrassed to tell of what is happening at St. Winifred's former grave.
(c) The stories of the miracles seem unbelievable.
(d) The stories of the miracles are not as great as what is occurring at Shrewsbury.
11. In secret, how does Brother Cadfael think St. Winifred feels about the outcome of the events involving her remains?
12. What does Father Huw thank Brother Cadfael for after Brother Cadfael helps Dame Branwen?
(a) For his advanced medical training.
(b) For his devotion to God.
(c) For knowing how to deal with women.
(d) For thinking clearly in an emergency.
13. When the people see the arrangement of Brother Columbanus' clothing when they go to release him from vigil duty, what do they think happened?
(b) A miraculous event.
(c) He is playing a practical joke.
(d) He was kidnapped.
14. What did Sioned and Engelard name their son?
15. What does Sioned ask Father Huw and Brother Jerome, who are holding the first vigil, to do?
(a) Carry Rhisiart's coffin to his grave.
(b) Place their hands on Rhisiart's heart and pray for him.
(c) Guard Rhisiart's body.
(d) Light a candle for everyone who visits Rhisiart's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who understands Dame Branwen's condition and wants to help her?
2. What do Sioned and Brother Cadfael think Brother Columbanus might be trying to do after claiming to reveal the solution to Rhisiart's murder?
3. Who is going to help Brother John escape before Brother John can be arrested?
4. Whom does Annest say wants Brother John arrested immediately?
5. Why isn't Peredur allowed to join the procession to St. Winifred's chapel?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)