|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sioned, Brother Cadfael, and Engelard discover that Brother Columbanus is dead, what does Engelard suggest they do?
(a) Tell the truth to a law official.
(b) Blame his death on a group of outlaws.
(c) Pray for forgiveness.
(d) Run away.
2. What do Sioned and Brother Cadfael believe Brother Columbanus wants, now that he claims he has been chosen to communicate with St. Winifred?
(a) To become a prior.
(d) His own abbey.
3. To what does Brother Cadfael tell Sioned to personally invite Peredur?
(a) Rhisiart's funeral.
(b) A vigil at St. Winifred's grave.
(c) Brother John's trial.
4. What will Engelard be able to do once everyone forgets the reason he is an outlaw?
(a) Resume his job as an ox-caller.
(b) Marry Sioned.
(c) Buy land.
(d) Go home and claim his inheritance.
5. How does Sioned plan to make her marriage to Engelard a reality?
(a) She will elope with him.
(b) She will disown any relative who stands in her way.
(c) She will promote him.
(d) She will make him a free man.
6. How does Sioned feel, knowing that Peredur did not murder her father?
7. What did Sioned and Engelard name their son?
8. What does Father Huw thank Brother Cadfael for after Brother Cadfael helps Dame Branwen?
(a) For knowing how to deal with women.
(b) For thinking clearly in an emergency.
(c) For his advanced medical training.
(d) For his devotion to God.
9. What do Sioned and Brother Cadfael think Brother Columbanus might be trying to do after claiming to reveal the solution to Rhisiart's murder?
(a) Covertly threaten Sioned.
(b) Trick the real murderer into confessing.
(c) Speed up the process of obtaining St. Winifred's remains.
(d) Conveniently close the case.
10. How does Brother Cadfael feel, now that the situation with Brother Columbanus and St. Winifred has been concluded?
11. While he is digging for St. Winifred's remains, how does Brother Cadfael imagine St. Winifred?
(a) As a cunning schemer.
(b) As a wild, carefree spirit.
(c) As a girl in love with a prince.
(d) As a girl devoted to God.
12. How does Peredur feel when he hears that Sioned and Engelard will be able to marry?
13. How does Peredur react when Sioned makes her request to him before they bury her father?
(a) He is shaking and sweating.
(b) He collapses on the ground.
(c) He immediatley honors Sioned's request without incident.
(d) He runs away.
14. What detail did Brother Cadfael overlook regarding St. Winifred's coffin when the brothers come to carry it?
(a) It is too heavy.
(b) There is no way to transport it without it falling apart.
(c) It is too light.
(d) It is not her coffin.
15. The day after Bened brings news of Gwytherin to Brother Cadfael, in addition to Prior Robert, whom else does he greet?
(a) Brother Jerome.
(b) Abbot Heribert.
(c) Brother John.
(d) Brother Richard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Brother Columbanus when he awakens to a soft voice calling out to him?
2. After Father Huw thanks Brother Cadfael, what does Father Huw admit to Brother Cadfael?
3. What is the purpose of Bened's trip to Walsingham?
4. Who appears and causes Brother Columbanus to run out?
5. What does Prior Robert notice about the stories Bened tells of what is happening at St. Winifred's former grave?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)