|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The morning after the third vigil, what happens to Brother Columbanus?
(a) He is taken to Sioned's home.
(b) He awakens from his trance.
(c) He breaks into a sweat when he touches Rhisiart's body.
(d) He is taken away to the church.
2. What is the purpose of Bened's trip to Walsingham?
(a) Visiting family.
3. What does Brother Cadfael hope for Rhisiart, who is buried in the same grave with St. Winifred in Gwytherin?
(a) Rhisiart is with Sioned's mother.
(b) Rhisiart will receive the same honors as St. Winifred.
(c) Rhisiart can forgive Brother Columbanus.
(d) Rhisiart will watch over Sioned and Engelard.
4. What does Bened tell Prior Robert about what is happening at the place that used to be St. Winifred's grave?
(a) There have not been any miracles that have occurred there.
(b) Many miracles are occurring.
(c) Sioned and Engleard have taken over the care of her grave.
(d) No visitors come to the grave.
5. What is strange about the contents of the bottle of poppy seed syrup with which Brother Cadfael wants to treat Dame Branwen?
(a) A large amount is missing.
(b) It has a strange odor.
(c) The bottle is empty.
(d) It is an unusual color.
6. What keeps the people from making Brother Columbanus a saint?
(a) They have no relic of him.
(b) His admission of guilt.
(c) His family will not allow it.
(d) They are permitted to keep the remains of only one saint at the abbey.
7. What do Sioned and Brother Cadfael believe Brother Columbanus wants, now that he claims he has been chosen to communicate with St. Winifred?
(c) To become a prior.
(d) His own abbey.
8. What does Annest ask Brother Cadfael about her relationship with Brother John?
(a) If she should pursue her relationship with him.
(b) If her love for him is wicked.
(c) If Brother John can remain with her when the other brothers leave.
(d) If Brother John has declared his love for her.
9. Who appears and causes Brother Columbanus to run out?
(b) Brother Cadfael.
(c) Prior Robert.
10. The day after Bened brings news of Gwytherin to Brother Cadfael, in addition to Prior Robert, whom else does he greet?
(a) Brother Jerome.
(b) Brother Richard.
(c) Brother John.
(d) Abbot Heribert.
11. How does Sioned plan to make her marriage to Engelard a reality?
(a) She will make him a free man.
(b) She will promote him.
(c) She will elope with him.
(d) She will disown any relative who stands in her way.
12. Who understands Dame Branwen's condition and wants to help her?
(c) Brother Columbanus.
13. What news does Bened bring to Brother Cadfael about Sioned and Engelard?
(a) Sioned's uncle is trying to separate them.
(b) They are married.
(c) They have taken over caring for St. Winifred's grave.
(d) They have moved to Engelard's home in England.
14. How does Brother Cadfael feel about Prince Cradoc while he digs for St. Winifred's remains?
(a) He believes Prince Cradoc got what he deserved.
(b) He admires him.
(c) He envies him.
(d) He feels sorry for him.
15. In what condition is Dame Branwen, Peredur's mother, when Father Huw asks Brother Cadfael for help with her?
(a) Hysterical with grief.
(b) Deathly ill.
(d) In a trance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Peredur to go home after Peredur reacts to Sioned's request?
2. How does Peredur react when Sioned makes her request to him before they bury her father?
3. Where are Prior Robert and the other brothers gathered when Sioned and her servants approach?
4. What does Brother Columbanus do when the voice accuses him of killing Rhisiart?
5. After Sioned, Brother Cadfael, and Engelard discover that Brother Columbanus is dead, what does Engelard suggest they do?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)