|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peredur do when the men try to close in on Engelard?
(a) Runs away.
(c) Pushes Engelard to the ground.
(d) Slips and falls.
2. What is Father Huw's job in Gwytherin?
3. Who does Prior Robert assign to care for Brother Columbanus after Brother Columbanus suffers his "falling sickness"?
(a) Brother Rhys.
(b) Brother Jerome.
(c) Brother Cadfael.
(d) Brother John.
4. Why is Prior Robert ecstatic about the dream of Winifred?
(a) He wants to live forever.
(b) He is glad the psychic powers have returned.
(c) He thinks it will lead him to find a relic.
(d) He wants healing for his persistent illness.
5. How does Prior Robert feel when Sioned tells him about the last time she saw Rhisiart?
6. Where do Brother Jerome and Brother Columbanus sleep on the night they arrive in Gwytherin?
(a) Rhisiart's home.
(b) Cadwallon's home.
(c) Father Huw's home.
(d) Bened's home.
7. What is Prior Robert's only solid argument to get his proposal approved?
(a) St. Winifred asked the monks of Shrewsbury to move her to a place where she will be honored.
(b) The English people need St. Winifred's favors.
(c) St. Winifred will take her wrath out upon anyone who stands in the way of her transfer.
(d) The bishop and the prince have approved his proposal.
8. How does Engelard become a suspect in Rhisiart's murder?
(a) He acts nervous when he is questioned.
(b) A witness saw Engelard with Rhisiart shortly before Rhisiart's body was found.
(c) He runs from the murder scene.
(d) His arrow killed Rhisiart.
9. What is the occupation of the man that the Welsh girl meets?
10. How do the townspeople treat the old man Padrig?
(a) With respect.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) With disgust.
(d) With caution.
11. How does the Welsh girl react when Brother Cadfael tells her about the purpose of the monks' visit?
(a) With fright.
(b) With joy.
(c) With surprise.
(d) With anger.
12. After Prior Robert talks about the importance of acquiring a relic for the abbey, why do the brothers run outside?
(a) They want to get away from Prior Robert.
(b) They hear a loud crash.
(c) They hear a loud cry.
(d) Visitors appear at the gate of the monastery.
13. According to Cal, the ploughman, why does Bened believe he will not be able to marry Sioned?
(a) The difference in their ages.
(b) He does not have enough money.
(c) He does not get along with Sioned's father.
(d) He is not handsome enough.
14. Who finds Rhisiart's dead body?
(a) Prior Robert.
15. What weapon actually killed Rhisiart?
(b) A knife.
(c) An arrow.
(d) A large stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Brother John and Brother Cadfael learn that the Welsh people seem to value after Padrig speaks to them about the town meeting?
2. Along with Brother Jerome, whom does Prior Robert send to St. Winifred's chapel?
3. What does Cal mean when he tells Brother Cadfael, "Sweeten him and you'll get your way."
4. Who is the first to voice his opinion at the town meeting to discuss Prior Robert's proposal?
5. Who does Prior Robert ask to tell Winifred's life story?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)