|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of the man that the Welsh girl meets?
2. Why is Prior Robert ecstatic about the dream of Winifred?
(a) He wants to live forever.
(b) He wants healing for his persistent illness.
(c) He thinks it will lead him to find a relic.
(d) He is glad the psychic powers have returned.
3. After Engelard is named as a suspect in Rhisiart's murder, whom does Sioned accuse of having the strongest motive to kill her father?
(a) Prior Robert and the monks.
4. As Brother Cadfael and Sioned discuss Rhisiart's murder, whom do they agree did not murder Rhisiart?
(a) Prior Robert.
(b) Brother Jerome.
5. Why do the heads of the parish tell Father Huw that Prior Robert may take St. Winifred's remains?
(a) They think Rhisiart's murder is a sign of St. Winifred's wrath.
(b) They are tired of the bickering and tension.
(c) Prior Robert bribed them with a substantial amount of money.
(d) They think the monks have brought bad luck and want them gone.
6. What are the results when Brother Richard looks for Rhisiart?
(a) Brother Richard returns with Rhisiart's riderless horse.
(b) Brother Richard doesn't find Rhisiart.
(c) Brother Richard is detained by a group of outlaws.
(d) Brother Richard is lost.
7. According to Winifred, why did a spring rise up in Wales?
(a) It is where an ancient abbey once stood.
(b) It is where she is buried.
(c) It is where she was born.
(d) It is where she was martyred.
8. Who is Sioned supposed to marry?
9. What happens to Prince Cradoc after he cuts off Winifred's head?
(a) He becomes king.
(b) He becomes deeply depressed.
(c) He disappears in a puff of smoke.
(d) He melts into the ground.
10. Why does Prince Cradoc cut off Winifred's head?
(a) To join a cult that practices black magic.
(b) To prove his bravery to the king.
(c) To keep her from telling of his cruel behavior toward her.
(d) To show that if he can't have her, no one can.
11. For what reason does Prior Robert think that Rhisiart didn't come to their meeting to work out their differences?
(a) He is afraid of St. Winifred's wrath.
(b) The weather is causing his delay.
(c) He decided to accept Prior Robert's bribe.
(d) Something terrible must have happened.
12. How does Peredur react when he hears the message Brother Cadfael relays to him from Sioned?
(a) He hugs Brother Cadfael.
(b) He cries with joy.
(c) He is visibly unaffected.
(d) He winces.
13. Who disputes Prior Robert's accusation, stating that Rhisiart may have been obstructing the plans of others?
(b) Brother John.
14. What is Prior Robert's tone of voice when he talks about acquiring a relic for the abbey?
(a) He is sarcastic.
(b) He is belligerent.
(c) He whines.
(d) He cries.
15. What weapon actually killed Rhisiart?
(a) A large stone.
(b) An arrow.
(c) A knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prior Robert discover about Brother Columbanus after Brother Columbanus returns from the spring at Holywell?
2. What is the problem with Engelard's alibi when Rhisiart was killed?
3. What is "falling sickness"?
4. Who is the first to voice his opinion at the town meeting to discuss Prior Robert's proposal?
5. What does Brother Cadfael learn about Rhisiart's marital status at Bened's house?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)