|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man's name who Birkin meets in Ripon who was also in the war?
2. What material did the original artist of the painting use on the nobles' clothes?
3. What is the name of the Sykes' son who died in the war?
4. Why does Birkin return to the church after leaving to head home?
5. What is the name of the girl who asks Birkin to tea at her parents' house after church in Barton Ferry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who meets Birkin at the door when he arrives in Barton Ferry and who else shows up for the service?
2. Where do Moon and Birkin go to visit Mossop? What do they do there? What do they eat afterward?
3. After the service in Barton Ferry, with whom does Birkin have tea? What does he see at their home that upsets him?
4. Who does Birkin run into in Ripon that is also in the war? What does this person tell Birkin about Moon?
5. What does Keach try to give Birkin the day after Birkin tells Alice she is attractive? How does Birkin respond?
6. Explain why Birkin does not act on his feelings of love towards Alice.
7. Why do Birkin and the Ellerbecks go to Ripon and are they successful in meeting their goal?
8. What does Birkin do when Alice is not in church? What conclusion does he come to regarding her whereabouts?
9. What story does Moon tell about one of his acquaintances when he and Birkin are discussing the war?
10. Describe the final interaction between Alice and Birkin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birkin denounces God immediately after he preaches at the Barton Ferry church. Write an essay examining what the novel has to say about the presence of God.
Essay Topic 2
Birkin and Alice develop the metaphor of a puzzle for uncovering the painting. Write an essay examining this metaphor. What does it do for the novel? Do you think it is an apt metaphor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think the final revealing of the painting (the goal) is more or less important than the process of uncovering (the means)? Write an essay explaining your opinion.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)