|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Birkin pursue a romantic relationship with Alice?
2. What does Birkin tell Alice that he thinks is different for different people?
3. What do the families eat at the Sunday School treat?
4. Who says that searching for a man's bones seems like a waste of money?
5. What wakes up Birkin on Sunday mornings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Birkin's involvement in the service at Keach's church.
2. After the service in Barton Ferry, with whom does Birkin have tea? What does he see at their home that upsets him?
3. What does Keach try to give Birkin the day after Birkin tells Alice she is attractive? How does Birkin respond?
4. According to Birkin, who is involved in creating the paintings from the time period of the one he is uncovering? What are their roles?
5. What does Birkin do when Alice is not in church? What conclusion does he come to regarding her whereabouts?
6. Describe Birkin's ride home from Barton Ferry.
7. How does the artist of the original painting that Birkin is uncovering differentiate between the different castes portrayed?
8. What physical characteristics does Birkin claim the painter has? How does he know these details?
9. Where do Moon and Birkin go to visit Mossop? What do they do there? What do they eat afterward?
10. How does Moon respond when Birkin tells him that Keach has told him that he is finished with the painting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point Birkin says that he plans making the painting look right and now focusing on recreating it exactly as it was. Write an essay evaluating this approach. Do you think Birkin's approach is in line with Miss Hebron's wishes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Birkin first gets to Oxgodby, the painting is completely hidden. By the time he leaves, he has uncovered the entire work. Write an essay examining the idea of hiding and revealing in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay examining the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do they get similar or different results?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)