|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alic respond after Birkin tells her that he finds her attractive?
2. Who is Birkin talking about when he says, "I found it pleasantly disturbing to consider the possibility of wandering off with her to some quiet room, eating supper, taking her hand, touching her, kissing"?
3. Who does Birkin think assumes that Keach will paint back over the painting as soon as he can?
4. Why does Birkin return to the church after leaving to head home?
5. Moon thinks that the portrayal that Birkin suspects is a portrait will _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that Alice and Birkin have regarding the existence of hell.
2. Describe how Birkin feels the last time he views the painting?
3. Why do Birkin and the Ellerbecks go to Ripon and are they successful in meeting their goal?
4. What part of the painting does the painter leave unfilled? What are Birkin's speculation regarding this situation?
5. Why does Birkin go to preach at Barton Ferry? What does he talk about from the pulpit?
6. Who meets Birkin at the door when he arrives in Barton Ferry and who else shows up for the service?
7. Explain why Birkin does not act on his feelings of love towards Alice.
8. Who does Birkin run into in Ripon that is also in the war? What does this person tell Birkin about Moon?
9. How does the artist of the original painting that Birkin is uncovering differentiate between the different castes portrayed?
10. What does Keach try to give Birkin the day after Birkin tells Alice she is attractive? How does Birkin respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the final revealing of the painting (the goal) is more or less important than the process of uncovering (the means)? Write an essay explaining your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining the influence of the war on the novel and on the individual characters.
Essay Topic 3
Kathy Ellerbeck is first seen as the girl at the train station who stares at Birkin as he steps off the train. Write an essay examining the character of Kathy Ellerbeck.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)