|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Birkin tell Keach he will contact if he tries to prevent him from finishing his work?
2. About how tall does Birkin think the painter must have been?
3. What is the name of the Sykes' son who died in the war?
4. What is the name of Birkin's wife?
5. What does Birkin realize after thinking about the part of the painting that is incomplete?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical characteristics does Birkin claim the painter has? How does he know these details?
2. Describe Birkin's ride home from Barton Ferry.
3. According to Birkin, who is involved in creating the paintings from the time period of the one he is uncovering? What are their roles?
4. Describe Birkin's involvement in the service at Keach's church.
5. What feelings does Moon's inquiry about anything going on between Birkin and Alice trigger in Birkin?
6. What is the source of Birkin's contentment in August in Oxgodby?
7. What song does Birkin sing that upsets Mrs. Ellerbeck and why is she upset about it.
8. What story does Moon tell about one of his acquaintances when he and Birkin are discussing the war?
9. After the service in Barton Ferry, with whom does Birkin have tea? What does he see at their home that upsets him?
10. Who does Birkin run into in Ripon that is also in the war? What does this person tell Birkin about Moon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel, A Month in the Country, takes place in predominately one location. Think about the idea of journeys in the novel. Is there mental or emotional movement despite the rather stagnant physical movement? Why or why not? Write an essay supporting your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Birkin falls in love with Alice, but is unable to act on his feelings. Write an essay examining the idea of love within the context of the novel. How is love defined? Which characters does love affect?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay examining the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do they get similar or different results?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)