|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Dowthwaite?
2. What is the name of the other man who Keach tells Birkin is living at the church?
3. Who walks up while Birkin is on the ladder in the church for the first time?
4. What method of transportation does Thomas Birkin use to arrive in town?
5. How does Birkin feel about the painting although he cannot see it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Moon and Birkin respond to each other when they first meet? What do they talk about?
2. Why is Birkin hired and who is paying him for his work?
3. What does Birkin think when Keach has not given him his first installment for the work on the painting? What action does he take?
4. How does Birkin respond to Kathy Ellerbeck's invitation to Sunday School? What does she say he can do there?
5. Who do Kathy, Edgar, and Birkin visit on the way home from Sunday school? What do they give her?
6. What does Keach ask Birkin about the wall painting? How does Birkin respond?
7. Describe the church in Oxgodby, England.
8. How is the pay for uncovering the wall painting and why does Birkin accept the job at the church?
9. Where does Moon pitch his tent? What explanation does Moon give Birkin for this placement?
10. What is attached to the church? What does it contain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mossop's character is only occasionally mentioned in the novel. Write an essay examining the role of his character.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion of the novel. Why does the author choose to conclude the novel in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay evaluating the connection between Birkin and Moon's work.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)