|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moon say he is doing in the meadow next door when he first meets Birkin?
2. How is the roof of the church at which Thomas Birkin arrives described?
3. How many solo jobs has Birkin had before undertaking the job in the church?
4. What is the name of Kathy's brother who sometimes accompanies her to the church?
5. What does Birkin seem to have for the painting he will uncover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Moon and Birkin respond to each other when they first meet? What do they talk about?
2. What new character does Keach reveal as he and Birkin discuss living arrangements and where does this character live?
3. Who gave money to the church in a will? What stipulations do these funds carry?
4. What is attached to the church? What does it contain?
5. What does Birkin think about Alice Keach after their first meeting?
6. How many times has Birkin performed the task of uncovering a wall painting?
7. How is the pay for uncovering the wall painting and why does Birkin accept the job at the church?
8. What does Birkin think about after Keach leaves in Section 1? What decisions does he come to?
9. How does Thomas Birkin arrive in Oxgodby, England? What does he do when he first gets there?
10. After Birkin and Moon depart from their first meeting, what does Birkin think regarding Moon? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birkin falls in love with Alice, but is unable to act on his feelings. Write an essay examining the idea of love within the context of the novel. How is love defined? Which characters does love affect?
Essay Topic 2
Birkin and Alice develop the metaphor of a puzzle for uncovering the painting. Write an essay examining this metaphor. What does it do for the novel? Do you think it is an apt metaphor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mossop's character is only occasionally mentioned in the novel. Write an essay examining the role of his character.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)