|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Birkin, who typically drew the other paintings from the time period of the painting he is working on?
(a) Assistants and touched up by the painter.
(b) A group of painters who collectively took credit.
(c) One person and filled in by an assistant.
(d) A group of painters, although only one was given credit.
2. How many times does Birkin visit Oxgodby after his summer there?
3. What does Keach do the day after Birkin tells Alice that she is attractive?
(a) He shows up with Birkin's money.
(b) He kills Birkin.
(c) He punches Birkin in the face.
(d) He banishes Birkin from the town.
4. What does Alice ask to see when she visits Birkin for the final time and brings him apples?
(a) His living area.
(b) The grave.
(c) His diary.
(d) The painting.
5. What wakes up Birkin on Sunday mornings?
(a) Mossop ringing the church bell.
(b) Shouting in the graveyard.
(c) The opening of the church door.
(d) Alice knocking on the door..
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts Birkin and Alice right after he tells her that he finds her attractive?
2. What does the epitaph say on the tomb that Moon finds?
3. What characterizes the damned souls in the original painting?
4. How did Mrs. Ellerbeck's father die?
5. What do Moon and Birkin help Mossop with when they visit him in the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who meets Birkin at the door when he arrives in Barton Ferry and who else shows up for the service?
2. What part of the painting does the painter leave unfilled? What are Birkin's speculation regarding this situation?
3. Where do Moon and Birkin go to visit Mossop? What do they do there? What do they eat afterward?
4. Describe the conversation that Alice and Birkin have regarding the existence of hell.
5. How does the artist of the original painting that Birkin is uncovering differentiate between the different castes portrayed?
6. What feelings does Moon's inquiry about anything going on between Birkin and Alice trigger in Birkin?
7. How does Moon respond when Birkin tells him that Keach has told him that he is finished with the painting?
8. Explain why Birkin does not act on his feelings of love towards Alice.
9. Who does Birkin run into in Ripon that is also in the war? What does this person tell Birkin about Moon?
10. What song does Birkin sing that upsets Mrs. Ellerbeck and why is she upset about it.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)