|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tool does Moon tell Birkin he is going to use to look for Miss Hebron's ancestor?
(a) A hoe.
(b) A divining rod.
(d) His brain.
2. What do Birkin and Moon have for lunch with Mossop and his wife when they go to visit?
(a) Rabbit and potato pie.
(b) Bread and cheese.
(c) Chicken sandwiches.
(d) Squirrel stew.
3. What does Alice ask to see when she visits Birkin for the final time and brings him apples?
(a) The grave.
(b) His diary.
(c) The painting.
(d) His living area.
4. How did Mrs. Ellerbeck's father die?
(a) He fell into a pond and drowned.
(b) He shot himself after drinking.
(c) He got alcohol poisoning.
(d) He fell down stairs after drinking.
5. What wakes up Birkin on Sunday mornings?
(a) Shouting in the graveyard.
(b) Alice knocking on the door..
(c) Mossop ringing the church bell.
(d) The opening of the church door.
Short Answer Questions
1. Moon tells Birkin the story of a man who doesn't cope well after returning from war. What was this man's occupation?
2. What does Birkin mistake for Alice in her bedroom when he passes the vicarage?
3. What material did the original artist of the painting use on the nobles' clothes?
4. How is the August weather described?
5. What do the Ellerbecks go to purchase in Ripon?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Birkin, who is involved in creating the paintings from the time period of the one he is uncovering? What are their roles?
2. What physical characteristics does Birkin claim the painter has? How does he know these details?
3. What is the relationship like between Birkin and his wife?
4. Describe Birkin's ride home from Barton Ferry.
5. What does Keach try to give Birkin the day after Birkin tells Alice she is attractive? How does Birkin respond?
6. What part of the painting does the painter leave unfilled? What are Birkin's speculation regarding this situation?
7. What does Birkin do when Alice is not in church? What conclusion does he come to regarding her whereabouts?
8. Where do Moon and Birkin go to visit Mossop? What do they do there? What do they eat afterward?
9. Describe Birkin's involvement in the service at Keach's church.
10. Who does Birkin run into in Ripon that is also in the war? What does this person tell Birkin about Moon?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)