|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Keach do the day after Birkin tells Alice that she is attractive?
(a) He shows up with Birkin's money.
(b) He punches Birkin in the face.
(c) He kills Birkin.
(d) He banishes Birkin from the town.
2. What do the Ellerbecks and Birkin find out when they return to Oxgodby after the Sunday School treat?
(a) Mossop has finished his job.
(b) Emily Clough has died.
(c) Moon has broken his leg.
(d) The church has burned down.
3. What do Moon and Birkin help Mossop with when they visit him in the field?
(a) Building a shack.
(c) The sheaves.
(d) Writing a book.
4. What do Birkin and Moon have for lunch with Mossop and his wife when they go to visit?
(a) Bread and cheese.
(b) Rabbit and potato pie.
(c) Chicken sandwiches.
(d) Squirrel stew.
5. What is the name of the girl who asks Birkin to tea at her parents' house after church in Barton Ferry?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birkin tell Alice that he thinks is different for different people?
2. What does Birkin talk about at Barton Ferry instead of giving a sermon?
3. What do the families eat at the Sunday School treat?
4. What type of church does Birkin attend on Sunday evenings?
5. Why is Moon not allowed to go on the Sunday School treat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Birkin do when Alice is not in church? What conclusion does he come to regarding her whereabouts?
2. What does Keach try to give Birkin the day after Birkin tells Alice she is attractive? How does Birkin respond?
3. Describe the portrayal of the man who Birkin thinks might be a portrait.
4. Describe the summer in Oxgodby according to Birkin.
5. What story does Moon tell about one of his acquaintances when he and Birkin are discussing the war?
6. What suggestion does Kathy make after asking Birkin if he has thought about staying in Oxgodby? How does he respond?
7. Explain why Birkin does not act on his feelings of love towards Alice.
8. What physical characteristics does Birkin claim the painter has? How does he know these details?
9. What is the relationship like between Birkin and his wife?
10. Describe Birkin's involvement in the service at Keach's church.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)