|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Birkin's wife not with him at the church?
(a) He left her for someone else.
(b) He got tired of living with her.
(c) She died.
(d) She left him for someone else.
2. How does Birkin feel about the August weather?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He feels pressured by it.
(c) He likes it.
(d) He is not pleased by it.
3. The Ellerbecks do not realize that Birkin is _______ and try to arrange another meeting between him and the Sykes' daughter.
(a) Not interested.
4. Why does Birkin go to preach at Barton Ferry?
(a) Mr. Ellerbeck needs a rest.
(b) Mr. Ellerbeck is sick.
(c) Mr. Ellerbeck is not qualified.
(d) The church needs a change of pace.
5. How many times does Birkin visit Oxgodby after his summer there?
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the painting was covered first?
2. After returning to the Ellerbecks', Birkin says he is not cut out to be what?
3. What is clutching the man in the painting whose portrayal Birkin suspects is a portrait?
4. What wakes up Birkin on Sunday mornings?
5. How does Birkin travel to Barton Ferry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that Alice and Birkin have regarding the existence of hell.
2. What physical characteristics does Birkin claim the painter has? How does he know these details?
3. How does Moon respond when Birkin tells him that Keach has told him that he is finished with the painting?
4. What does Keach try to give Birkin the day after Birkin tells Alice she is attractive? How does Birkin respond?
5. Why do Birkin and the Ellerbecks go to Ripon and are they successful in meeting their goal?
6. How does the artist of the original painting that Birkin is uncovering differentiate between the different castes portrayed?
7. What is the source of Birkin's contentment in August in Oxgodby?
8. Where do Moon and Birkin go to visit Mossop? What do they do there? What do they eat afterward?
9. What is the relationship like between Birkin and his wife?
10. According to Birkin, who is involved in creating the paintings from the time period of the one he is uncovering? What are their roles?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)