|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What view does Birkin have from where he sleeps at the church?
(a) A view of the graveyard.
(b) A view of the school.
(c) A view of the parish house.
(d) A view of the village.
2. From what century are the tombstones in the church graveyard?
3. What will happen if Moon does not find the grave he is looking for?
(a) He will be banished from the community.
(b) He will be killed.
(c) He will still be paid.
(d) He will not be paid.
4. How can Keach be viewed in relation to Birkin's work?
(a) As an aide.
(b) He is not a factor.
(c) As needed encouragement.
(d) As an obstacle.
5. What does Alice Keach offer to bring Birkin at the church the first time she visits?
(a) More supplies.
(c) A rug.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Birkin when Alice Keach first comes to see him at the church?
2. What does Kathy Ellerbeck's father tell her she can bring to the church?
3. What type of coat is Thomas Birkin wearing when he arrives in town?
4. What does Birkin seem to have for the painting he will uncover?
5. What does Birkin do after Keach visits him for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Moon pitch his tent? What explanation does Moon give Birkin for this placement?
2. Who gave money to the church in a will? What stipulations do these funds carry?
3. What does Birkin think about after Keach leaves in Section 1? What decisions does he come to?
4. How does Birkin respond to Kathy Ellerbeck's invitation to Sunday School? What does she say he can do there?
5. What is Birkin's aim regarding the painting? What idea does he have of the final picture?
6. Who originally discovers and takes interest in the painting? What arrangements does this person make regarding the painting?
7. While Thomas Birkin is at the station at the beginning of the novel, who does he see looking at him? What does he imagine that this person is thinking?
8. After Birkin and Moon depart from their first meeting, what does Birkin think regarding Moon? Why?
9. Who do Kathy, Edgar, and Birkin visit on the way home from Sunday school? What do they give her?
10. Describe what Birkin sees when he first enters the church.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)