|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first section of the novel, which character affects the plot even in death?
(a) Piers Hebron.
(b) Emily Keach.
(c) Edgar Birkin.
(d) Miss Hebron.
2. Whose grave is Moon looking for?
(a) Alice Keach.
(b) Emily Clough.
(c) Piers Hebron.
(d) Laetitia Hebron.
3. When Birkin further questions Moon about why he is there, he says he wants to plot out where an early ___________ stood.
4. What factor does Birkin base his observation on that the painting must have been hidden under the paint for a long time?
(a) The subject matter.
(b) The position.
(c) The condition.
(d) The lack of knowledge of the painting.
5. What is the name of the woman whom Birkin finds a wall monument of in the church?
(a) Emily Clough.
(b) Alice Keach.
(c) Laetitia Hebron.
(d) Kathy Ellerbeck.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he arrives at the church, Thomas Birkin speculates that the area has probably not seen a medieval __________ boom.
2. Who does the money come from for the painting to be uncovered?
3. Who answers the door when Birkin arrives at Keach's house to ask for his first installment?
4. Why does Thomas Birkin refuse the umbrella he is offered at the station?
5. How does Birkin respond to the invitation to Sunday School?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Birkin reveal first in the painting? What meaning does he draw from this discovery?
2. Describe the conversation that Keach and Birkin have regarding living arrangements.
3. How many times has Birkin performed the task of uncovering a wall painting?
4. How does Thomas Birkin arrive in Oxgodby, England? What does he do when he first gets there?
5. Describe what Birkin sees when he first enters the church.
6. Why is Birkin hired and who is paying him for his work?
7. Where does Moon pitch his tent? What explanation does Moon give Birkin for this placement?
8. What reason does Birkin give for the observation the painting is hidden under paint for a long time? What are some of the reasons he considers the painting is covered so quickly?
9. Describe the wall monument that Birkin finds in the church.
10. After Birkin and Moon depart from their first meeting, what does Birkin think regarding Moon? Why?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)