|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice Keach offer to bring Birkin at the church the first time she visits?
(b) A rug.
(c) More supplies.
2. How is the roof of the church at which Thomas Birkin arrives described?
(a) Not leaking.
3. The woman in the wall monument is described as "modestly hiding her essential _________ by hanging on tight to a shroud as she clambered from an elegant catagalgue".
4. What are the "dafties" in Sunday School that Birkin is supposed to help out?
(a) The smart children.
(b) The unruly children.
(c) The pretty girls.
(d) The drafts from the windows.
5. Keach is dependent on Birkin to get money for what?
(a) The church.
(b) Charles Moon.
(c) The railroad.
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object in the church does Birkin ask Keach if he can use?
2. What will happen if Moon does not find the grave he is looking for?
3. What does Birkin seem to have for the painting he will uncover?
4. How does Keach respond to Birkin's request to use something in the church?
5. Who does the money come from for the painting to be uncovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the pay for uncovering the wall painting and why does Birkin accept the job at the church?
2. What does Birkin reveal first in the painting? What meaning does he draw from this discovery?
3. Why is Birkin hired and who is paying him for his work?
4. Who gave money to the church in a will? What stipulations do these funds carry?
5. Describe Kathy Ellerbeck according to Birkin's observations.
6. What new character does Keach reveal as he and Birkin discuss living arrangements and where does this character live?
7. What is Birkin's aim regarding the painting? What idea does he have of the final picture?
8. Why does Kathy Ellerbeck come to visit Birkin at the church? What does she bring?
9. How does Birkin respond to Kathy Ellerbeck's invitation to Sunday School? What does she say he can do there?
10. After Birkin and Moon depart from their first meeting, what does Birkin think regarding Moon? Why?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)