|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice show Birkin on his way out after he visits their home to ask for his first installment?
(a) Mold growing on their window sill.
(b) A rose bush.
(c) Her garden.
(d) The broken steps.
2. What does Thomas Birkin look at when he arrives at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A book.
(b) A map.
(c) A compass.
(d) A letter.
3. While on the ladder in the church for the first time, Thomas Birkin thinks about everything that _________ has told him.
(a) Miss Hebron.
(c) The stationmaster.
4. What kind of painting does Birkin think the painting is bound to be?
5. What will happen if Moon does not find the grave he is looking for?
(a) He will still be paid.
(b) He will be killed.
(c) He will not be paid.
(d) He will be banished from the community.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birkin do the first morning he wakes up in the church?
2. Who does Thomas Birkin see staring at him from the station house when he arrives?
3. What is Birkin doing when Alice Keach first comes to see him at the church?
4. In the first section of the novel, which character affects the plot even in death?
5. Who answers the door when Birkin arrives at Keach's house to ask for his first installment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Birkin respond to Kathy Ellerbeck's invitation to Sunday School? What does she say he can do there?
2. What reason does Birkin give for the observation the painting is hidden under paint for a long time? What are some of the reasons he considers the painting is covered so quickly?
3. Why is Birkin hired and who is paying him for his work?
4. Who answers the door when Birkin visits the vicarage? What does this person talk about?
5. Describe the conversation that Keach and Birkin have regarding living arrangements.
6. What is Birkin's aim regarding the painting? What idea does he have of the final picture?
7. Describe what Birkin sees when he first enters the church.
8. Why does Kathy Ellerbeck come to visit Birkin at the church? What does she bring?
9. Who originally discovers and takes interest in the painting? What arrangements does this person make regarding the painting?
10. What does Birkin specifically ask Keach if he can use? How does Keach respond?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)