|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice ask to see when she visits Birkin for the final time and brings him apples?
(a) The grave.
(b) The painting.
(c) His living area.
(d) His diary.
2. What tool does Moon tell Birkin he is going to use to look for Miss Hebron's ancestor?
(a) His brain.
(c) A hoe.
(d) A divining rod.
3. What occupations does Kathy suggest for Birkin?
(a) Gravedigger or banker.
(b) Barber or gardener.
(c) Rent collector or schoolteacher.
(d) Painter or baker.
4. According to Birkin, who typically drew the other paintings from the time period of the painting he is working on?
(a) Assistants and touched up by the painter.
(b) One person and filled in by an assistant.
(c) A group of painters who collectively took credit.
(d) A group of painters, although only one was given credit.
5. Who interrupts Birkin and Alice right after he tells her that he finds her attractive?
6. After returning to the Ellerbecks', Birkin says he is not cut out to be what?
(a) A boyfriend.
(b) A bicyclist.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A painter.
7. Which of the following is not part of Birkin's daily routine during the summer in Oxgodby?
(a) Working until 6 in the evening.
(b) Rising at about 4 in the morning.
(c) Sharing a cup of tea with Moon.
(d) Eating breakfast in the bell tower.
8. Moon likes that who are the only people that know about how great the painting is?
(a) Kathy, Moon, and Birkin.
(b) Moon and Birkin.
(c) Kathy, Alice, Moon, and Birkin.
(d) Alice, Moon, and Birkin.
9. Who leaves the door slightly ajar when visiting Birkin?
10. About how tall does Birkin think the painter must have been?
(a) 4.5 feet.
(b) 6 feet.
(c) 5.5 feet.
(d) 5 feet.
11. Before telling Alice that he finds her attractive, who does Birkin also say finds her attractive?
(b) Mrs. Ellerbeck.
12. What is clutching the man in the painting whose portrayal Birkin suspects is a portrait?
(a) Two demons.
(b) The grim reaper.
(c) A woman.
(d) An angel.
13. The painter filled in the entire painting except what?
(a) The face of one of the men.
(b) The portrayal of heaven.
(c) The angels.
(d) The small corner of hell.
14. What does the letter that Birkin receives from Vinny say?
(a) She would prefer he stay in Oxgodby.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She wants him to come home.
(d) She wants a divorce.
15. What characterizes the damned souls in the original painting?
(a) Cheaper materials and less details.
(b) Cheaper materials and poorer workmanship.
(c) Brighter colors and better workmanship.
(d) Brighter colors and more details.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Birkin's wife?
2. What type of church does Birkin attend on Sunday evenings?
3. What do the Ellerbecks and Birkin find out when they return to Oxgodby after the Sunday School treat?
4. After seeing strands of the painter's hair in the painting, Birkin realizes he had ______.
5. What does Birkin tell Alice that he thinks is different for different people?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)