|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the letter that Birkin receives from Vinny say?
(a) She wants him to come home.
(b) She wants a divorce.
(c) She would prefer he stay in Oxgodby.
(d) She is pregnant.
2. Who does Birkin tell Keach he will contact if he tries to prevent him from finishing his work?
(b) The executors of Miss Hebron's will.
(c) The police.
(d) The Ellerbecks.
3. Who greets Birkin when he arrives at the church in Barton Ferry?
(a) The preacher.
(b) An old woman.
(c) The organist.
(d) A child.
4. What material did the original artist of the painting use on the nobles' clothes?
(a) Black paint.
(c) Gold leaf.
(d) Blue lapiz.
5. What do the people do after the service Birkin attends on Sunday nights?
(a) Leave quickly.
(b) Clear out the pews and begin dancing.
(c) Gather around the organ and sing songs.
(d) Congregate by the altar and cry.
6. Moon likes that who are the only people that know about how great the painting is?
(a) Kathy, Moon, and Birkin.
(b) Alice, Moon, and Birkin.
(c) Kathy, Alice, Moon, and Birkin.
(d) Moon and Birkin.
7. One week Mr. Ellerbeck is scheduled to preach at both Barton Ferry and ____________.
8. What does Birkin find out about Moon from the man he meets in Ripon who was also in the war?
(a) That Moon was not in the war.
(b) That Moon is a schizophrenic.
(c) That Moon is a pathological liar.
(d) That Moon is homosexual.
9. How is the August weather described?
(a) As unbearably humid.
(b) As mild.
(c) As cool but humid.
(d) As hot and dry.
10. Birkin wonders if the painter knew the man who is doing what in the painting?
(a) Being lifted into heaven.
(b) Represented as the bailiff.
(c) Plunging into hell.
(d) Represented as the judge.
11. What tool does Moon tell Birkin he is going to use to look for Miss Hebron's ancestor?
(b) His brain.
(c) A hoe.
(d) A divining rod.
12. What does Birkin mistake for Alice in her bedroom when he passes the vicarage?
(a) A hatstand.
(b) A vacuum.
(c) A dog.
(d) A curtain.
13. Who does Birkin see in town when he and the Ellerbecks go to Ripon?
14. How many times does Birkin visit Oxgodby after his summer there?
15. Who leads the worship service in the church where Birkin is working?
Short Answer Questions
1. Moon tells Birkin the story of a man who doesn't cope well after returning from war. What was this man's occupation?
2. What occupations does Kathy suggest for Birkin?
3. What type of church does Birkin attend on Sunday evenings?
4. What does Birkin tell Alice that he thinks is different for different people?
5. What does Birkin do when Alice does not show up in church on Sunday morning?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)