|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice ask to see when she visits Birkin for the final time and brings him apples?
(a) His living area.
(b) The painting.
(c) The grave.
(d) His diary.
2. Birkin cries that there is no what on the way home from Barton Ferry?
3. Which of the following is not part of Birkin's daily routine during the summer in Oxgodby?
(a) Working until 6 in the evening.
(b) Sharing a cup of tea with Moon.
(c) Eating breakfast in the bell tower.
(d) Rising at about 4 in the morning.
4. According to Birkin, who typically drew the other paintings from the time period of the painting he is working on?
(a) A group of painters who collectively took credit.
(b) Assistants and touched up by the painter.
(c) One person and filled in by an assistant.
(d) A group of painters, although only one was given credit.
5. What is the man's name who Birkin meets in Ripon who was also in the war?
6. What do Birkin and Moon have for lunch with Mossop and his wife when they go to visit?
(a) Rabbit and potato pie.
(b) Squirrel stew.
(c) Bread and cheese.
(d) Chicken sandwiches.
7. What tool does Moon tell Birkin he is going to use to look for Miss Hebron's ancestor?
(a) His brain.
(c) A hoe.
(d) A divining rod.
8. Which of the following characteristics does not describe the portrayal that Birkin suspects might be a portrait in the larger painting?
(a) The man is wearing a gold necklace.
(b) A crescent shaped scar on the man's forehead.
(c) It is more detailed than the rest of the portrayals.
(d) Bright red hair.
9. Who sits in the back pew when visiting Birkin?
10. What is the name of Birkin's wife?
11. What does Birkin mistake for Alice in her bedroom when he passes the vicarage?
(a) A hatstand.
(b) A curtain.
(c) A vacuum.
(d) A dog.
12. After returning to the Ellerbecks', Birkin says he is not cut out to be what?
(a) A boyfriend.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A bicyclist.
(d) A painter.
13. Why does Birkin return to the church after leaving to head home?
(a) To look for Alice.
(b) To get his bedroll he forgot.
(c) To pack a lunch.
(d) To see the painting again.
14. Who is Birkin talking about when he says, "I found it pleasantly disturbing to consider the possibility of wandering off with her to some quiet room, eating supper, taking her hand, touching her, kissing"?
15. What does the letter that Birkin receives from Vinny say?
(a) She wants him to come home.
(b) She would prefer he stay in Oxgodby.
(c) She wants a divorce.
(d) She is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birkin do when Alice does not show up in church on Sunday morning?
2. After Mrs. Ellerback reprimands Birkin for singing a song that mentions alcohol, what does Birkin change the word alcohol to?
3. How does Birkin feel about working in the summer at Oxgodby?
4. Who does Birkin tell Keach he will contact if he tries to prevent him from finishing his work?
5. How often does Birkin have dinner with the Ellerbecks?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)