|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birkin mistake for Alice in her bedroom when he passes the vicarage?
(a) A curtain.
(b) A vacuum.
(c) A hatstand.
(d) A dog.
2. What does Alice ask Birkin when she sees the painting of hell?
(a) If he enjoys his work.
(b) Why someone would paint something so horrible.
(c) Why a portion is not painted.
(d) If he believes in hell.
3. What symbol do Moon and Birkin find inside the tomb indicating that Miss Hebron's ancestor was a Muslim?
(a) A crescent.
(b) A flag.
(c) A boat.
(d) A star.
4. According to Birkin, who typically drew the other paintings from the time period of the painting he is working on?
(a) A group of painters who collectively took credit.
(b) A group of painters, although only one was given credit.
(c) Assistants and touched up by the painter.
(d) One person and filled in by an assistant.
5. Who does Birkin tell Keach he will contact if he tries to prevent him from finishing his work?
(a) The executors of Miss Hebron's will.
(b) The Ellerbecks.
(c) The police.
6. Who does Birkin think assumes that Keach will paint back over the painting as soon as he can?
7. How does Birkin feel about working in the summer at Oxgodby?
(d) It is too hot.
8. Why is Moon not allowed to go on the Sunday School treat?
(a) He lives in a tent.
(b) He does not get along with the Ellerbecks.
(c) He has not attended the church.
(d) He is not a Christian.
9. What wakes up Birkin on Sunday mornings?
(a) Shouting in the graveyard.
(b) The opening of the church door.
(c) Mossop ringing the church bell.
(d) Alice knocking on the door..
10. After returning to the Ellerbecks', Birkin says he is not cut out to be what?
(a) A boyfriend.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A painter.
(d) A bicyclist.
11. What does the letter that Birkin receives from Vinny say?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She would prefer he stay in Oxgodby.
(c) She wants a divorce.
(d) She wants him to come home.
12. Which of the following characteristics does not describe the portrayal that Birkin suspects might be a portrait in the larger painting?
(a) Bright red hair.
(b) A crescent shaped scar on the man's forehead.
(c) The man is wearing a gold necklace.
(d) It is more detailed than the rest of the portrayals.
13. What is the name of Birkin's wife?
14. The Ellerbecks do not realize that Birkin is _______ and try to arrange another meeting between him and the Sykes' daughter.
(c) Not interested.
15. How many times does Birkin visit Oxgodby after his summer there?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Keach do the day after Birkin tells Alice that she is attractive?
2. Who sits in the back pew when visiting Birkin?
3. What does Alice leave Birkin the day she comes up the ladder and scares Birkin?
4. How does Moon feel about Birkin and Alice not being romantically involved?
5. What is the name of the girl who asks Birkin to tea at her parents' house after church in Barton Ferry?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)