|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of painting does Birkin think he is working on after uncovering the figure painted at the apex of the wall?
(a) A Nativity scene.
(b) An Easter work.
(c) A Pastoral scene.
(d) A Judgment work.
2. After examining the placement of the painting, what does Birkin decide is his aim?
(a) To make the painting look right.
(b) To recover the painting.
(c) To return the painting to its original state.
(d) To destroy the painting.
3. Where do Keach and Birkin go after discussing Birkin's request to use something in the church?
(a) Out to the garden.
(b) To the graveyard.
(c) To see the object.
(d) To see his workspace.
4. How is the church at which Thomas Birkin arrives described?
5. Who does not want Birkin working on the painting in the church?
(a) The church.
(b) Miss Hebron.
(d) Charles Moon.
6. How does Keach respond to Birkin's request to use something in the church?
(a) He agrees immediately.
(b) He disagrees immediately.
(c) He agrees after some discussion.
(d) He disagrees after some discussion.
7. How is the roof of the church at which Thomas Birkin arrives described?
(b) Not leaking.
8. How old does Birkin tell Keach he thinks the wall painting is?
(a) 200 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 100 years.
(d) He says he doesn't know.
9. What factor does Birkin base his observation on that the painting must have been hidden under the paint for a long time?
(a) The condition.
(b) The lack of knowledge of the painting.
(c) The subject matter.
(d) The position.
10. Why is the grave Moon is looking for outside the graveyard?
(a) The person buried was excommunicated from the church.
(b) The person buried could not afford a ceremony.
(c) Only royalty are buried in the graveyard.
(d) There was no room left in the graveyard.
11. What is the name of the woman whom Birkin finds a wall monument of in the church?
(a) Laetitia Hebron.
(b) Emily Clough.
(c) Alice Keach.
(d) Kathy Ellerbeck.
12. What does Moon say he is doing in the meadow next door when he first meets Birkin?
13. Who does Thomas Birkin see staring at him from the station house when he arrives?
(a) A girl.
(b) An old man.
(c) A woman.
(d) A boy.
14. According to Birkin's conversation with Keach, what will help or has helped Birkin decide the age of the wall painting?
(a) Carbon dating.
(b) Comparing styles.
(d) Uncovering it.
15. How many bobs a week does Birkin think he can manage on if he is careful?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emily Clough dying of?
2. What condition must be met in order for the church to receive the money?
3. What are the "dafties" in Sunday School that Birkin is supposed to help out?
4. What is the name of the church's minister?
5. How can Keach be viewed in relation to Birkin's work?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)