|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Birkin does not receive his first installment, he is upset because he doesn't have money to buy what?
(a) A blanket.
2. Who argues that it is an outrage that someone as beautiful as Alice is married to Keach?
3. Where is Birkin when Alice Keach first comes to see him at the church?
(a) In the pews.
(b) In the graveyard.
(c) On the scaffolding.
(d) At Moon's tent.
4. After examining the placement of the painting, what does Birkin decide is his aim?
(a) To return the painting to its original state.
(b) To make the painting look right.
(c) To recover the painting.
(d) To destroy the painting.
5. As he arrives at the church, Thomas Birkin speculates that the area has probably not seen a medieval __________ boom.
6. What does Thomas Birkin look at when he arrives at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A compass.
(b) A map.
(c) A book.
(d) A letter.
7. When Thomas Birkin enters the church for the first time, he finds that it has what type of floor?
8. How many bobs a week does Birkin think he can manage on if he is careful?
9. What type of painting does Birkin think he is working on after uncovering the figure painted at the apex of the wall?
(a) A Judgment work.
(b) A Pastoral scene.
(c) A Nativity scene.
(d) An Easter work.
10. Who offers Thomas Birkin an umbrella when he arrives in town?
(a) The cab driver.
(b) The reverend.
(c) The stationmaster.
(d) The painter.
11. Birkin speculates that the painter used paint from what kind of a job he had been working on?
12. In what city does "A Month in the Country" open?
13. What does Alice Keach wear that disguises her age when she comes to visit Birkin?
(a) An overcoat.
(b) A straw hat.
14. When does Birkin first see Kathy Ellerbeck?
(a) When she visits the church.
(b) When he visits her house.
(c) Visiting a grave in the graveyard.
(d) At the train station upon his arrival.
15. Who is the narrator of the book?
(a) J.G. Keach.
(b) Charles Moon.
(c) Thomas Birkin.
(d) Miss Hebron.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the grave Moon is looking for outside the graveyard?
2. In the first section of the novel, which character affects the plot even in death?
3. Where does Birkin plan to return for the winter?
4. What does Birkin forget when he visits the Keaches to ask for his first installment?
5. What does Moon invite Birkin to his tent for the first time?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)