Section 1 (through page 13)
1. In what city does "A Month in the Country" open?
2. What method of transportation does Thomas Birkin use to arrive in town?
3. What does Thomas Birkin look at when he arrives at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A book.
(b) A compass.
(c) A map.
(d) A letter.
4. Who does Thomas Birkin see staring at him from the station house when he arrives?
(a) An old man.
(b) A girl.
(c) A boy.
(d) A woman.
5. What type of coat is Thomas Birkin wearing when he arrives in town?
(a) A soldier's jacket.
(b) A jean jacket.
(c) A black, ankle-length peacoat.
(d) A pre-war herringbone tweed.
6. Who offers Thomas Birkin an umbrella when he arrives in town?
(a) The reverend.
(b) The painter.
(c) The stationmaster.
(d) The cab driver.
7. Why does Thomas Birkin refuse the umbrella he is offered at the station?
(a) He says he will dry off at the church.
(b) He says he does not trust the man offering the umbrella.
(c) He says he does not accept gifts from strangers.
(d) He says he enjoys the rain.
This section contains 4,450 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)