|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James do when he lands at the airport?
2. Who wants to keep James at the clinic, even after his altercation?
3. Who does James call when his visitors finally leave?
4. What does James begin to thrown around as he is angry?
5. What message does not appeal to James?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James request of the nurse before his dentist appointment begins?
2. How often does James abuse alcohol, according to his statement when talking to the nurse during his admit to the medical wing?
3. How does James respond to the situation in #9?
4. Where is the plane James is taking headed?
5. What are some of the ways Hank helps James in this chapter?
6. Describe what takes place during James' first User Dream.
7. What does James do when Roy threatens to get James thrown out of the clinic?
8. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Hank and James.
9. What does James tell his brother and his brothers' friends which upsets them?
10. Even though it has been proven that addiction is a disease, what does James think is the cause of addiction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The MMPI test is a personality test that Joanne reviews with James, showing him some of the issues that he might be facing in relation to his addictions.
Part 1: What are the results of the MMPI test, as Joanne reveals to James?
Part 2: What is James' reaction to finding out the results of his test?
Part 3: Does it seem like a good idea or a bad idea to share these results with a patient? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Essay Topic 2
When James' brother and his friends visit James in the clinic, James is affected deeply by their interactions.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which James receives a visit from his brother and his brother's friends.
Part 2: What do James' brother and friends bring with them to give to James?
Part 3: How does this visit affect James? What does he do as a result of their visit?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Roy and James is one that continues to challenge both of their recoveries.
Part 1: Describe Roy, who he is, and what his initial relationship to James is.
Part 2: What does Roy do to antagonize James in the story? Is it effective?
Part 3: What does the relationship between Roy and James seem to be saying about addictions? What can a reader learn from their relationship?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)