|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does James go to watch TV when he is heavily medicated?
2. What is in James' cheek when he wakes up on the plane?
3. James takes __________ for his destructive life choices.
4. Who is visiting with Lilly as James and his visitors find out?
5. What has Larry just found out he has, according to the medical staff at the clinic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James see when he looks in the mirror after waking up in the medical wing?
2. What does James tell his brother and his brothers' friends which upsets them?
3. What does Dr. Stevens want to do for James at the end of the root canal experience?
4. How does James respond to the situation in #9?
5. Where is the plane James is taking headed?
6. What does James' father do for him when they are at the cabin in Wisconsin?
7. Why does James turn up the heat in the shower when he is bathing his body?
8. Why can't James eat anything more than toast for his breakfast?
9. When James arrives at the dentist's office, what kind of pain does James say he feels afraid to feel?
10. Even though it has been proven that addiction is a disease, what does James think is the cause of addiction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a User Dream is one that seems to repeat itself throughout the story.
Part 1: Define the idea of a User Dream.
Part 2: Describe one of James' User Dreams and how he comes to interpret it.
Part 3: What is the significance of the User Dream in this story? What does it say about James? About drug addiction?
Essay Topic 2
James is impressed with the Bald Man and what he is able to do within the clinic setting. This figure becomes important to James as he deals with the process of recovery.
Part 1: Describe the character of the Bald Man. What strikes James as fascinating about him?
Part 2: What is the main lesson that James learns from this character? Why is this important?
Part 3: Do you think James would have recovered without the introduction of the Bald Man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Leonard and James is one that has a rough start, but eventually becomes the saving grace for both of these men.
Part 1: Describe the initial relationship between Leonard and James and their initial interactions.
Part 2: How does James finally come to allowing Leonard to be a part of his life, even a friend, it seems?
Part 3: What do you think of the final request of Leonard for James to be his son? What does this say about Leonard? How does this affect James?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)