|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the other reason that makes Martha's diary to special?
(a) Her family saved it
(b) It was not in a safe deposit box
(c) Ink was scarce at the time
(d) It did not burn in a fire
2. What is Martha's physical state?
(a) Tired and in constant pain
(c) Terminally ill
3. Why is Ephraim arrested?
(a) He cheats customers on a regular basis
(b) He is $800 short in his accounting
(c) He writes scandalous editorials
(d) He refuses to pay his taxes
4. When did midwives stop attending autopsies?
(a) When the midwife vomited
(b) When the midwife fainted
(c) When the midwife shrieked
(d) When they became more institutionalized
5. Who moves into Martha's house with her?
(a) Hannah and her family
(b) Her sister
(c) Jonathan and his family
(d) Ephraim's sister
Short Answer Questions
1. How many autopsies did Martha attend in her life?
2. In what field does Martha's family remain?
3. What is the result of the answer to #159?
4. What is Martha's focus during this time period?
5. Who does Ephraim encounter who do not give up their land?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
2. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
3. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
4. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
5. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
6. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
7. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
8. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
9. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
10. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)