|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which family member concerns Martha because of a bad temper?
2. Which family member's autopsy did Martha attend?
3. Why does Martha become increasingly dependent on Jonathan?
(a) Ephaim is very ill
(b) Ephraim is arrested
(c) Ephraim leaves her
(d) Ephraim dies
4. What did away with the community female healers?
(a) Fewer patients
(b) More hospitals
(c) Fewer women in the profession
(d) Professionalism and male dominance
5. Who does Mary give the diary pages to?
(a) The Kennebunkport Museum
(b) The Maine State Library
(c) The Augusta Historical Society
(d) The Smithsonian Institution
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did James stay after the murders?
2. Which of the following did Martha not grow in her garden?
3. Who was Clara Barton?
4. Why is Ephraim arrested?
5. How old is Martha in the spring of 1804?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
2. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
3. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
4. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
5. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
6. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
7. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
8. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
9. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
10. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)