|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Ephraim in January of 1796?
(a) Over 60
(b) Over 40
(c) Over 70
(d) Over 50
2. How is Clara Barton related to Martha?
(a) Granddaughter of her sister
(b) Great niece
(c) Granddaughter of her brother
(d) Great Granddaughter
3. Who else commits suicide during this period?
(a) Mr. Gill and Dr. Page
(b) Mr. Gill and Benjamin Petty
(c) Mr. Gill and Jonathan
(d) Benjamin Petty and Reverend Foster
4. Who does Ephraim encounter who do not give up their land?
(a) U.S. army troops
(b) French explorers
(c) Native Americans
5. What type of seeds did the merchants sell?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha's biggest problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
2. How many of the children of the answer to #148 escaped?
3. Why did the author publish Martha's diary?
4. What is Martha's main concern at this time?
5. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
2. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
3. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
4. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
5. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
6. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
7. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
8. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
9. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
10. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)