|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Clara Barton related to Martha?
(a) Great niece
(b) Great Granddaughter
(c) Granddaughter of her brother
(d) Granddaughter of her sister
2. How old is Ephraim in January of 1796?
(a) Over 50
(b) Over 60
(c) Over 40
(d) Over 70
3. Who is ambushing survey crews?
(a) Native American warriors
(b) U.S. army deserters
(c) French soldiers
(d) Settlers dressed as Indians
4. How many nights had Ephraim spent in the woods as a surveyor?
5. How old is Martha at the beginning of 1796?
(a) Over 40
(b) Over 70
(c) Over 50
(d) Over 60
Short Answer Questions
1. Which physician is threatened by Martha's practice?
2. In Martha's time it was a common practice for _______________ to attend autopsies.
3. What is Ephraim's attitude about his surveying work?
4. Who moves into Martha's house with her?
5. What is Martha's main concern at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
2. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
3. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
4. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
5. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
6. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
7. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
8. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
9. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
10. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)