|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who headed up the band of white Indians?
(a) Jonathan Ballard
(b) Dr. Page
(c) Mr. Densmore
(d) Elijah Barton
2. Martha's midwife practice increases due to the death of which midwife?
(a) Ellen Franklin
(b) Rebecca Foster
(c) Ava Densmore
(d) Ann Mosier
3. Who is ambushing survey crews?
(a) French soldiers
(b) U.S. army deserters
(c) Native American warriors
(d) Settlers dressed as Indians
4. At what age does John Davis Jr. die?
5. In Martha's time it was a common practice for _______________ to attend autopsies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Young midwives are __________________ by the doctors in the area.
2. When did midwives stop attending autopsies?
3. Who moves into Martha's house with her?
4. Where did Martha stay after the murders?
5. Who does Mary give the diary pages to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
2. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
3. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
4. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
5. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
6. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
7. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
8. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
9. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
10. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)