|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Martha at the beginning of 1796?
(a) Over 50
(b) Over 70
(c) Over 40
(d) Over 60
2. What phrase does Martha use to indicate that her house was fighting with her?
(a) Up in arms
(b) At the end of its tether
(c) Chomping at the bit
(d) No rest for the weary
3. Who is Paul Chadwick?
(a) A surveyor who volunteers to survey 100 acres of Malta
(b) Martha and Ephraim's son-in-law
(c) The new Hallowell minister
(d) The newspaper editor
4. How many of the children of the answer to #148 escaped?
5. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Martha and Ephraim build a house?
2. Which of the following is not a reason that someone stays with Martha and Ephraim each night?
3. Why was Ephraim released during the days?
4. Where does Ephraim spend his 80th birthday?
5. What is one reason that Martha's diary is so special?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
2. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
3. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
4. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
5. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
6. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
7. How did Ephraim get embroiled in events that would lead to the Malta War of 1809?
8. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
9. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
10. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)