|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ephraim consider his imprisonment?
(a) A scandal
(b) A vacation
(c) An outrage
(d) A nuisance
2. Which family member's autopsy did Martha attend?
3. Where does Ephraim spend his 80th birthday?
(a) The tavern
(c) Jonathan's house
4. What profession did some of the ousted female healers choose?
5. Why did the author publish Martha's diary?
(a) She had a master's thesis to complete
(b) She has a collection of diaries
(c) So people could understand life for women in this time period
(d) She had a legal contractual agreement to do so
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mary Hobart?
2. To what event is Martha invited?
3. What phrase does Martha use to indicate that her house was fighting with her?
4. What is the result of a disagreement between France and England?
5. What is Martha's biggest problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
2. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
3. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
4. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
5. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
6. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
7. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
8. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
9. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
10. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)