|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is ambushing survey crews?
(a) Native American warriors
(b) French soldiers
(c) Settlers dressed as Indians
(d) U.S. army deserters
2. Who does Ephraim encounter who do not give up their land?
(a) U.S. army troops
(c) Native Americans
(d) French explorers
3. What did Ephraim consider his imprisonment?
(a) A nuisance
(b) A scandal
(c) An outrage
(d) A vacation
4. How many of his children did the answer to #148 kill?
5. What are the names of the two children who survived?
(a) James and Ellen
(b) James and Anna
(c) Martha and John
(d) James and Martha
Short Answer Questions
1. Young midwives are __________________ by the doctors in the area.
2. On whom does Martha rely heavily during this period?
3. What did Clara Barton found?
4. Where does Ephraim spend his 80th birthday?
5. What is the other reason that makes Martha's diary to special?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
2. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
3. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
4. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
5. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
6. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
7. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
8. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
9. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
10. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)