|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the author publish Martha's diary?
(a) She had a legal contractual agreement to do so
(b) She had a master's thesis to complete
(c) So people could understand life for women in this time period
(d) She has a collection of diaries
2. What profession did some of the ousted female healers choose?
3. Where does Ephraim spend his 80th birthday?
(b) Jonathan's house
(c) The tavern
4. Why is Ephraim arrested?
(a) He refuses to pay his taxes
(b) He writes scandalous editorials
(c) He cheats customers on a regular basis
(d) He is $800 short in his accounting
5. What is the result of a disagreement between France and England?
(a) The French and Indian War
(b) The Malta War
(c) The Jefferson embargo
(d) The War of 1812
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ephraim consider his imprisonment?
2. In Martha's time it was a common practice for _______________ to attend autopsies.
3. How long does it take the answer to #146 to clear the land and build a house for his family?
4. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
5. What type of seeds did the merchants sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
2. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
3. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
4. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
5. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
6. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
7. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
8. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
9. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
10. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)