|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mary give the diary pages to?
(a) The Maine State Library
(b) The Smithsonian Institution
(c) The Kennebunkport Museum
(d) The Augusta Historical Society
2. What is Ephraim's attitude about his surveying work?
(a) He is not ready to slow down
(b) He has retired
(c) He is semi-retired
(d) He hates it
3. What is the name of the man who came for the two remaining children?
4. Which of the following is not one of the hardships associated with surveying?
(a) Lack of food
(c) Wild animals
(d) Quick payment
5. How many autopsies did Martha attend in her life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Young midwives are __________________ by the doctors in the area.
2. Who stays with Martha and Ephraim each night?
3. Why was Ephraim released during the days?
4. Where does Ephraim spend his 80th birthday?
5. What did away with the community female healers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
2. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
3. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
4. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
5. How did Martha's complete diary find its way to being published in its entirety?
6. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
7. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
8. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
9. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
10. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)