|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Martha at the beginning of 1796?
(a) Over 60
(b) Over 70
(c) Over 40
(d) Over 50
2. How many autopsies did Martha attend in her life?
3. What is Martha's physical state?
(a) Tired and in constant pain
(d) Terminally ill
4. Who buys the parcel of land next to Jonathan's?
(a) Reverend Foster
(b) Captain Purrinton
(c) Henry Sewall
(d) Dr. Page
5. How is Clara Barton related to Martha?
(a) Great Granddaughter
(b) Great niece
(c) Granddaughter of her brother
(d) Granddaughter of her sister
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Martha and Ephraim build a house?
2. When did midwives stop attending autopsies?
3. What is the name of the man who came for the two remaining children?
4. Who stays with Martha and Ephraim each night?
5. Young midwives are __________________ by the doctors in the area.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
2. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
3. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
4. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
5. Explain how the emergence of physicians changed the practices of most midwives.
6. What was occurring in 1809 which could be likened to the Boston Tea Party?
7. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
8. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
9. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
10. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)