|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Martha in the spring of 1804?
2. Where does Ephraim spend his 80th birthday?
(b) Jonathan's house
(d) The tavern
3. In what field does Martha's family remain?
4. Why does Martha become increasingly dependent on Jonathan?
(a) Ephraim dies
(b) Ephraim leaves her
(c) Ephaim is very ill
(d) Ephraim is arrested
5. Why was Ephraim released during the days?
(a) To visit Martha
(b) To get exercise
(c) To work to pay his debt
(d) To get some sunshine
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
2. Why did the author publish Martha's diary?
3. Which family member's autopsy did Martha attend?
4. Which of the following is not a reason that someone stays with Martha and Ephraim each night?
5. How many nights had Ephraim spent in the woods as a surveyor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
2. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
3. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
4. What shocking crime did Captain Purrinton commit?
5. Name the two reasons Martha's diary is so special.
6. Martha's garden was always important to her but why was it especially critical during 1809?
7. What were the circumstances preceding Ephraim's arrest?
8. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
9. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
10. What happened in the aftermath of the Purrinton murders?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)