|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which family member concerns Martha because of a bad temper?
2. Who is Mary Hobart?
(a) She is Martha's first patient
(b) She inherited the pages of Martha's diary in 1884
(c) She is Martha's sister-in-law
(d) She is Martha's best friend
3. Why does Martha become increasingly dependent on Jonathan?
(a) Ephraim leaves her
(b) Ephaim is very ill
(c) Ephraim is arrested
(d) Ephraim dies
4. Young midwives are __________________ by the doctors in the area.
5. Which of the following did Martha not grow in her garden?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
2. Who moves into Martha's house with her?
3. Which of the following is not a reason that someone stays with Martha and Ephraim each night?
4. Martha's midwife practice increases due to the death of which midwife?
5. What did Clara Barton found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the state of Martha's health in 1796?
2. Explain the antagonistic relationship between Martha and Dr. Cony.
3. What was the impact of the Jefferson Embargo?
4. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
5. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
6. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
7. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
8. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
9. What was Martha's only real problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
10. What was the common practice regarding midwives attending at autopsies?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)