|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which physician is threatened by Martha's practice?
(a) Dr. Cony
(b) Dr. Foster
(c) Dr. Densmore
(d) Dr. Page
2. What is the other reason that makes Martha's diary to special?
(a) Ink was scarce at the time
(b) It was not in a safe deposit box
(c) Her family saved it
(d) It did not burn in a fire
3. Where is Ephraim jailed?
(a) The Augusta prison
(b) Shawshank prison
(c) The Hallowell jail
(d) The Kennebunk jail
4. How many of the children of the answer to #148 escaped?
5. How old is Martha in the spring of 1804?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of his children did the answer to #148 kill?
2. What is Ephraim's attitude about his surveying work?
3. Who is Paul Chadwick?
4. Young midwives are __________________ by the doctors in the area.
5. Who headed up the band of white Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Captain Purrinton and his family?
2. How does this chapter show a real personal crisis for Martha?
3. What was the state of Martha's mental and physical health now that she is 70-years-old?
4. What were the challenges Ephraim faced in his surveying work?
5. With what content did Martha prefer to fill her diary instead of news of politics and conflict?
6. What medical treatments were popular during this time period?
7. How did Charles Elventon Nash incorporate Martha's diary into his history of Augusta?
8. Who is the first of Martha's relatives to realize the significance of her diary pages?
9. Describe the terms of Ephraim's incarceration.
10. What complicated the community's recovery period after the Purrinton murders?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)