|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the hardships associated with surveying?
(a) Quick payment
(b) Wild animals
(c) Lack of food
2. Who is ambushing survey crews?
(a) Settlers dressed as Indians
(b) U.S. army deserters
(c) French soldiers
(d) Native American warriors
3. Which of the following is not a reason that someone stays with Martha and Ephraim each night?
(a) Help Martha and Ephraim with chores
(b) They have set fire to the house before
(c) Cook food for Martha and Ephraim
(d) It relieves the crowding in Jonathan's house
4. How many autopsies did Martha attend in her life?
5. Who does Mary give the diary pages to?
(a) The Augusta Historical Society
(b) The Kennebunkport Museum
(c) The Smithsonian Institution
(d) The Maine State Library
6. Who committed a murder/suicide on July 9, 1806?
(a) Captain Purrinton
(b) Dr. Densmore
(c) Dr. Page
(d) Reverend Foster
7. Who abridged Martha's diary for a history of Augusta?
(a) Charles Elventon Nash
(b) Charles Kuralt
(c) Charles Osgood
(d) Charles Lindbergh
8. Martha's midwife practice increases due to the death of which midwife?
(a) Ann Mosier
(b) Rebecca Foster
(c) Ellen Franklin
(d) Ava Densmore
9. What is the result of a disagreement between France and England?
(a) The Malta War
(b) The War of 1812
(c) The Jefferson embargo
(d) The French and Indian War
10. How long does it take the answer to #146 to clear the land and build a house for his family?
(a) 2 years
(b) 1 year
(c) 6 months
(d) 2 months
11. Young midwives are __________________ by the doctors in the area.
12. What did away with the community female healers?
(a) Fewer patients
(b) Fewer women in the profession
(c) Professionalism and male dominance
(d) More hospitals
13. Who does Ephraim encounter who do not give up their land?
(a) U.S. army troops
(b) Native Americans
(c) French explorers
14. Where was the murderer buried?
(a) At sea
(b) Tossed in a hole at the side of a road
(c) On his farm
(d) The Calvinist cemetery
15. How old is Martha in the spring of 1804?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ephraim jailed?
2. What is the other reason that makes Martha's diary to special?
3. How many houses does Jonathan rent out on his property?
4. How is Clara Barton related to Martha?
5. Why is Ephraim arrested?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)