|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On whom does Martha rely heavily during this period?
2. What does Mary Hobart have in common with Martha?
(a) They were both Calvinists
(b) They lived on the same property
(c) Medical care of women and children
(d) They shared an interest in gardening
3. Why did the author publish Martha's diary?
(a) So people could understand life for women in this time period
(b) She has a collection of diaries
(c) She had a master's thesis to complete
(d) She had a legal contractual agreement to do so
4. Who does Ephraim encounter who do not give up their land?
(a) Native Americans
(b) French explorers
(c) U.S. army troops
5. Who stays with Martha and Ephraim each night?
(b) Mrs. Densmore
(c) One of Jonathan's children
(d) Rebecca Foster
6. At what job is Ephraim working when he is arrested?
(c) Tax collector
7. In Martha's time it was a common practice for _______________ to attend autopsies.
8. Who committed a murder/suicide on July 9, 1806?
(a) Captain Purrinton
(b) Reverend Foster
(c) Dr. Page
(d) Dr. Densmore
9. What is Martha's focus during this time period?
(a) Her garden
(b) Her sewing
(c) Her weaving
(d) Her canning
10. What is the other reason that makes Martha's diary to special?
(a) Her family saved it
(b) Ink was scarce at the time
(c) It did not burn in a fire
(d) It was not in a safe deposit box
11. At what age does John Davis Jr. die?
12. What did away with the community female healers?
(a) More hospitals
(b) Professionalism and male dominance
(c) Fewer women in the profession
(d) Fewer patients
13. Where was the murderer buried?
(a) At sea
(b) The Calvinist cemetery
(c) On his farm
(d) Tossed in a hole at the side of a road
14. When did midwives stop attending autopsies?
(a) When the midwife fainted
(b) When the midwife vomited
(c) When they became more institutionalized
(d) When the midwife shrieked
15. How many nights had Ephraim spent in the woods as a surveyor?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else commits suicide during this period?
2. What is one reason that Martha's diary is so special?
3. Where did James stay after the murders?
4. How old is Martha at the beginning of 1796?
5. What is the result of a disagreement between France and England?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)