|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Martha become increasingly dependent on Jonathan?
(a) Ephaim is very ill
(b) Ephraim dies
(c) Ephraim leaves her
(d) Ephraim is arrested
2. Which physician is threatened by Martha's practice?
(a) Dr. Page
(b) Dr. Densmore
(c) Dr. Foster
(d) Dr. Cony
3. How old is Ephraim in January of 1796?
(a) Over 50
(b) Over 40
(c) Over 60
(d) Over 70
4. Why did the author publish Martha's diary?
(a) She had a legal contractual agreement to do so
(b) She has a collection of diaries
(c) She had a master's thesis to complete
(d) So people could understand life for women in this time period
5. Why was Ephraim released during the days?
(a) To get exercise
(b) To work to pay his debt
(c) To visit Martha
(d) To get some sunshine
6. What did Clara Barton found?
(a) The Florence Nightingale Society
(b) The American Red Cross
(c) The Clara Barton Foundation
(d) The Juliette Low Foundation
7. When did midwives stop attending autopsies?
(a) When they became more institutionalized
(b) When the midwife shrieked
(c) When the midwife fainted
(d) When the midwife vomited
8. How long does it take the answer to #146 to clear the land and build a house for his family?
(a) 6 months
(b) 1 year
(c) 2 years
(d) 2 months
9. Which of the following did Martha not grow in her garden?
10. Where does Ephraim spend his 80th birthday?
(a) Jonathan's house
(c) The tavern
11. What is the result of the answer to #159?
(a) A new election
(b) Merchant bankruptcies
(c) Labor strikes
(d) Birth of a new political party
12. The confrontation between Ephraim and the answer to #115 eventually led to _______________________.
(a) The end of Ephraim's career
(b) Malta War of 1809
(c) French and Indian War
(d) War of 1812
13. What did Ephraim consider his imprisonment?
(a) A nuisance
(b) An outrage
(c) A scandal
(d) A vacation
14. Who is the mother of John Davis Jr.?
(a) Hetty Davis
(b) Hetty Densmore
(c) Hetty Pierce
(d) Hetty Ballard
15. How is Clara Barton related to Martha?
(a) Granddaughter of her sister
(b) Great Granddaughter
(c) Great niece
(d) Granddaughter of her brother
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys the parcel of land next to Jonathan's?
2. Where was the murderer buried?
3. How old is Martha at the beginning of 1796?
4. Who else commits suicide during this period?
5. What phrase does Martha use to indicate that her house was fighting with her?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)