|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Paul Chadwick?
(a) Martha and Ephraim's son-in-law
(b) A surveyor who volunteers to survey 100 acres of Malta
(c) The newspaper editor
(d) The new Hallowell minister
2. What did Ephraim consider his imprisonment?
(a) An outrage
(b) A scandal
(c) A vacation
(d) A nuisance
3. Who committed a murder/suicide on July 9, 1806?
(a) Dr. Page
(b) Reverend Foster
(c) Dr. Densmore
(d) Captain Purrinton
4. How old is Martha at the beginning of 1796?
(a) Over 50
(b) Over 70
(c) Over 60
(d) Over 40
5. On whom does Martha rely heavily during this period?
6. What is Ephraim's attitude about his surveying work?
(a) He is semi-retired
(b) He has retired
(c) He is not ready to slow down
(d) He hates it
7. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
8. How many nights had Ephraim spent in the woods as a surveyor?
9. Which of the following did Martha not grow in her garden?
10. What type of seeds did the merchants sell?
11. Where was the murderer buried?
(a) At sea
(b) The Calvinist cemetery
(c) Tossed in a hole at the side of a road
(d) On his farm
12. How many of the children of the answer to #148 escaped?
13. How old is Martha in the spring of 1804?
14. Who moves into Martha's house with her?
(a) Her sister
(b) Jonathan and his family
(c) Hannah and her family
(d) Ephraim's sister
15. Which family member's autopsy did Martha attend?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who headed up the band of white Indians?
2. Who does Mary give the diary pages to?
3. Who else commits suicide during this period?
4. What is one reason that Martha's diary is so special?
5. Where did James stay after the murders?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)