|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Martha in the spring of 1804?
2. How many nights had Ephraim spent in the woods as a surveyor?
3. Why does Martha become increasingly dependent on Jonathan?
(a) Ephaim is very ill
(b) Ephraim is arrested
(c) Ephraim dies
(d) Ephraim leaves her
4. Who does Mary give the diary pages to?
(a) The Smithsonian Institution
(b) The Augusta Historical Society
(c) The Kennebunkport Museum
(d) The Maine State Library
5. What is one reason that Martha's diary is so special?
(a) Many women of the time could not write
(b) She had nine children which kept her very busy
(c) Her businesses occupied most of her time
(d) Paper was scarce during this time
6. Where do Martha and Ephraim build a house?
(a) In Augusta
(b) On Jonathan's farm
(c) In Portland
(d) In Kennebunk
7. In Martha's time it was a common practice for _______________ to attend autopsies.
8. What is Martha's main concern at this time?
(a) Her grandchildren
(b) Getting older
(c) A terminal illness
(d) Ephraim's health
9. How old is Martha at the beginning of 1796?
(a) Over 60
(b) Over 40
(c) Over 70
(d) Over 50
10. Who was Clara Barton?
(a) A university professor
(b) A Civil War nurse
(c) A historian
(d) A newspaper editor
11. Which of the following did Martha not grow in her garden?
12. Who else commits suicide during this period?
(a) Mr. Gill and Benjamin Petty
(b) Mr. Gill and Dr. Page
(c) Mr. Gill and Jonathan
(d) Benjamin Petty and Reverend Foster
13. What does Mary Hobart have in common with Martha?
(a) They shared an interest in gardening
(b) Medical care of women and children
(c) They were both Calvinists
(d) They lived on the same property
14. In what field does Martha's family remain?
15. How does the year 1809 begin for Martha?
(a) She delivered a baby
(b) She has resigned
(c) She is injured from a fall
(d) She buries her husband
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the children of the answer to #148 escaped?
2. The confrontation between Ephraim and the answer to #115 eventually led to _______________________.
3. At what age does John Davis Jr. die?
4. Where is Ephraim jailed?
5. How old is Ephraim in January of 1796?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)