|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Martha's midwife practice increases due to the death of which midwife?
(a) Ann Mosier
(b) Rebecca Foster
(c) Ava Densmore
(d) Ellen Franklin
2. To what event is Martha invited?
(a) John Davis Jr.'s funeral
(b) John Davis Jr.'s birthday party
(c) John Davis Jr.'s autopsy
(d) John Davis Jr.s' Baptism
3. What does Mary Hobart have in common with Martha?
(a) Medical care of women and children
(b) They lived on the same property
(c) They were both Calvinists
(d) They shared an interest in gardening
4. Young midwives are __________________ by the doctors in the area.
5. How old is Martha in the spring of 1804?
6. Who is ambushing survey crews?
(a) U.S. army deserters
(b) French soldiers
(c) Settlers dressed as Indians
(d) Native American warriors
7. What is the name of the man who came for the two remaining children?
8. How many autopsies did Martha attend in her life?
9. At what age does John Davis Jr. die?
10. Which family member concerns Martha because of a bad temper?
11. Who is the new girl hired by Martha to help in the house?
12. The confrontation between Ephraim and the answer to #115 eventually led to _______________________.
(a) The end of Ephraim's career
(b) Malta War of 1809
(c) War of 1812
(d) French and Indian War
13. What is the result of the answer to #159?
(a) Merchant bankruptcies
(b) Birth of a new political party
(c) Labor strikes
(d) A new election
14. What is one reason that Martha's diary is so special?
(a) She had nine children which kept her very busy
(b) Her businesses occupied most of her time
(c) Many women of the time could not write
(d) Paper was scarce during this time
15. In Martha's time it was a common practice for _______________ to attend autopsies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha's biggest problem during Ephraim's incarceration?
2. What phrase does Martha use to indicate that her house was fighting with her?
3. Who buys the parcel of land next to Jonathan's?
4. How many nights had Ephraim spent in the woods as a surveyor?
5. Where do Martha and Ephraim build a house?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)