|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Clara Barton?
(a) A university professor
(b) A historian
(c) A newspaper editor
(d) A Civil War nurse
2. What phrase does Martha use to indicate that her house was fighting with her?
(a) Chomping at the bit
(b) Up in arms
(c) No rest for the weary
(d) At the end of its tether
3. What is the result of a disagreement between France and England?
(a) The Jefferson embargo
(b) The War of 1812
(c) The Malta War
(d) The French and Indian War
4. To what event is Martha invited?
(a) John Davis Jr.'s funeral
(b) John Davis Jr.s' Baptism
(c) John Davis Jr.'s autopsy
(d) John Davis Jr.'s birthday party
5. What did Ephraim consider his imprisonment?
(a) A vacation
(b) A nuisance
(c) An outrage
(d) A scandal
6. What does Mary Hobart have in common with Martha?
(a) Medical care of women and children
(b) They shared an interest in gardening
(c) They lived on the same property
(d) They were both Calvinists
7. At what age does John Davis Jr. die?
8. Who is Paul Chadwick?
(a) A surveyor who volunteers to survey 100 acres of Malta
(b) The new Hallowell minister
(c) The newspaper editor
(d) Martha and Ephraim's son-in-law
9. On whom does Martha rely heavily during this period?
10. What did away with the community female healers?
(a) Fewer patients
(b) Professionalism and male dominance
(c) Fewer women in the profession
(d) More hospitals
11. What did Clara Barton found?
(a) The Juliette Low Foundation
(b) The Florence Nightingale Society
(c) The Clara Barton Foundation
(d) The American Red Cross
12. What type of seeds did the merchants sell?
13. How were the pages of Martha's diary stored?
(a) In a safe deposit box
(b) In a mahogany box
(c) On a CD
(d) On microfilm
14. Who is the mother of John Davis Jr.?
(a) Hetty Ballard
(b) Hetty Pierce
(c) Hetty Densmore
(d) Hetty Davis
15. Why did the author publish Martha's diary?
(a) She had a legal contractual agreement to do so
(b) So people could understand life for women in this time period
(c) She has a collection of diaries
(d) She had a master's thesis to complete
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha's main concern at this time?
2. How does the year 1809 begin for Martha?
3. What is Martha's focus during this time period?
4. What is one reason that Martha's diary is so special?
5. Which family member's autopsy did Martha attend?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)