|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rebekka try to get rid of Sorrow?
2. Who delivers Sorrow's baby on the farm?
3. Where did the blacksmith find Malaik?
4. What was Florens going to use against the blacksmith?
5. How does Malaik treat Florens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sorrow act after her child is born?
2. How was Sorrow raised?
3. How did Minha Mae get pregnant with Florens?
4. Why is Sorrow brought to the Vaark farm?
5. Why does Florens choose to write about something?
6. Why did Minha Mae send Florens to the Vaark farm?
7. What does Rebekka spend much of her time doing after she is healed, and why is this strange?
8. How are Willard and Scully different from the other slaves on the Vaark farm?
9. What changes the relationship between Florens and the black smith?
10. What does Florens choose to write about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Toni Morrison. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The blacksmith was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did he accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had he not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the outcome of the plot?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)