|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Minha Maw want Florens to learn letters?
2. What disease does Sorrow get while she is pregnant on the farm?
3. What is Florens covered in when she returns from the blacksmith's house?
4. What does Rebekka call Sorrow while she is sick?
5. How does the blacksmith feel about the news Florens brings him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Malaik?
2. How does Florens describe Rebekka after she recovers?
3. Why did Minha Mae send Florens to the Vaark farm?
4. Why did Minha Mae not like when Florens wore shoes?
5. Why is Sorrow brought to the Vaark farm?
6. How did Minha Mae get pregnant with Florens?
7. Why does Florens feel an urgency to write?
8. How does Rebekka change in her treatment of Willard and Scully after Jacob dies?
9. Why does Sorrow want to run away?
10. What is unique about how Florens writes what she chooses to write about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
The blacksmith was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did he accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had he not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Toni Morrison. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)