|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Florens's father?
2. What vanishes from Sorrow while she is pregnant on the farm?
3. What does Sorrow's imaginary friend do that makes her happy?
4. What does Rebekka spend most of her time doing when Florens returns?
5. Who does Rebekka say will cure her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes the relationship between Florens and the black smith?
2. Why is Sorrow brought to the Vaark farm?
3. What was different about Florens after her trip to the blacksmith's house?
4. What happens when Florens is left with Malaik?
5. What does the blacksmith say when he comes to Rebekka's sick bed?
6. What is unique about how Florens writes what she chooses to write about?
7. What happens to the farm after Jacob dies?/
8. What does Rebekka spend much of her time doing after she is healed, and why is this strange?
9. How does Scully try to help Florens after she comes back from the blacksmith's house?
10. How does Florens describe Rebekka after she recovers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
How did the themes of slavery and freedom interconnect and move this plot along?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)