|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is missing when Florens wakes up in the blacksmith's house?
2. What does Rebekka spend most of her time doing when Florens returns?
3. Why won't Florens run away with Sorrow?
4. What happened to Malaik's parents?
5. Who delivers Sorrow's baby on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Florens feel an urgency to write?
2. How does Sorrow act after her child is born?
3. What protected Sorrow when her father died?
4. What was different about Florens after her trip to the blacksmith's house?
5. Why did Minha Mae send Florens to the Vaark farm?
6. What does Florens choose to write about?
7. Why does Sorrow want to run away?
8. How does Rebekka change in her treatment of Willard and Scully after Jacob dies?
9. What changes the relationship between Florens and the black smith?
10. What is unique about how Florens writes what she chooses to write about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
How did the themes of slavery and freedom interconnect and move this plot along?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)