|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sorrow's father's job?
2. Who does Florens talk to as she walks home?
3. Why don't Rebekka let Lina sleep where she likes when it is hot?
4. What does Florens walk home without?
5. What vanishes from Sorrow while she is pregnant on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes the relationship between Florens and the black smith?
2. How did Minha Mae get to the D'Ortega's land?
3. Why does Sorrow want to run away?
4. What does Rebekka spend much of her time doing after she is healed, and why is this strange?
5. What happens to the farm after Jacob dies?/
6. What is unique about how Florens writes what she chooses to write about?
7. What does Florens choose to write about?
8. Why did Minha Mae send Florens to the Vaark farm?
9. Why does Florens choose to write about something?
10. Who is Malaik?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toni Morrison presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
How did the themes of slavery and freedom interconnect and move this plot along?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)