|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob tell D'Oretgas that he refuses to trade for money?
2. Who told Florens about the protector spirits?
3. How did Rebekka feel about learning to cook strange game?
4. How is Lina different from other slaves?
5. Where was Sorrow raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Florens feel about the Vaark Farm when she first arrived there?
2. How did Rebekka's father feel about her as a young woman?
3. How does Lina try to honor her culture in her situation?
4. Why doesn't Florens' mother go with her to the new farm?
5. What is confusing in the dialogue at the beginning of the book?
6. How does Florens prefer to communicate, and why?
7. How were Rebekka's ideas of religion changed when she came to Virginia?
8. What causes Jacob to be so confused before his death?
9. How is Jane described?
10. How does Jacob Vaark feel about the D'Ortegas, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the themes of slavery and freedom interconnect and move this plot along?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)