|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lina act around the other slaves?
2. How old was Florens when she came to where she lives at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Florens say is a good sign from ancestors?
4. What animal once threatened Rebekka?
5. Where was Sorrow raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. What slightly offends Lina while Rebekka is in her fever?
2. How did Rebekka's father feel about her as a young woman?
3. How were Rebekka's ideas of religion changed when she came to Virginia?
4. How does Florens feel when she finally arrives at the blacksmith's house?
5. Why does Lina end up waiting in the woods for Florens?
6. Why doesn't Florens' mother go with her to the new farm?
7. How does Florens prefer to communicate, and why?
8. What does Lina teach Florens about men, and why?
9. How does the Widow Ealing help Florens?
10. Why does Florens have a hard time with Lina when she first goes to the Vaark Farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toni Morrison presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)