|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rebekka know she is ill?
2. How does Lina act around the other slaves?
3. Why is Minha Mae not sent with Florens when she is sent to another slave owner?
4. Where does Florens try to sleep while heading to get the blacksmith?
5. What did Jacob do to make money in the North?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Florens feel about the Vaark Farm when she first arrived there?
2. What happens on the farm after Jacob dies?
3. What is confusing in the dialogue at the beginning of the book?
4. How does the Widow Ealing help Florens?
5. What slightly offends Lina while Rebekka is in her fever?
6. What causes Jacob to be so confused before his death?
7. What does the boy in the forest do for Florens as she is heading for the black smith?
8. How does Jacob Vaark feel about the D'Ortegas, and why?
9. What is Florens sent to do when Jacob dies, and why?
10. How were Rebekka's ideas of religion changed when she came to Virginia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the outcome of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)