|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florens help boil in big vats?
2. What does a boy in the forest offer Florens as she is heading for the blacksmith?
3. What animal once threatened Rebekka?
4. What does Reverend Father teach Florens?
5. What about Virginia was unfamiliar to Rebekka?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is confusing in the dialogue at the beginning of the book?
2. Why is Florens traded to Vaark?
3. How does the Widow Ealing help Florens?
4. What happens on the farm after Jacob dies?
5. How does Florens prefer to communicate, and why?
6. What does Lina teach Florens about men, and why?
7. Why doesn't Florens' mother go with her to the new farm?
8. How does Jacob Vaark feel about the D'Ortegas, and why?
9. What is Florens sent to do when Jacob dies, and why?
10. What causes Jacob to be so confused before his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)