|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jacob not agree with in the government?
(a) The brewing war.
(b) The Constitution.
(c) The laws of slavery.
(d) The National Bank.
2. How does Florens calm her fears while heading to get the blacksmith?
(a) She sings songs.
(b) She thinks of her lover.
(c) She remembers her mother.
(d) She writes a book.
3. What does Lina worry about after Jacob's death?
(a) The farm.
(b) Florens's feelings.
(c) Rebekka's health.
(d) Her sanity.
4. What does Reverend always say is the second best hope?
5. What does minha mae mean?
(a) The light.
(b) My watcher.
(c) My mother.
(d) The beacon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob tell D'Oretgas that he refuses to trade for money?
2. Why is Minha Mae not sent with Florens when she is sent to another slave owner?
3. Where did Rebekka meet Lina?
4. What does Rebekka say her father would have done with her?
5. How often does Florens get to talk to Reverend Father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacob change, and what causes these changes?
2. Why does Florens have a hard time with Lina when she first goes to the Vaark Farm?
3. What does Lina teach Florens about men, and why?
4. What does Florens think about at night while heading to the blacksmith's house to comfort her?
5. What does the boy in the forest do for Florens as she is heading for the black smith?
6. What causes Jacob to be so confused before his death?
7. How does Florens feel about the task she is given after Jacob's death?
8. How does Florens show proof that she is not breaking any laws while she is heading to the blacksmith's house?
9. What is confusing in the dialogue at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Rebekka say was her main source of support when she was a new bride?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)