|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Rebekka meet Lina?
(a) A train station.
(b) At sea.
(d) Washington D.C.
2. How does Rebekka feel about her marriage to Jacob?
(a) She is lucky.
(b) She hated him.
(c) She got used to it.
(d) She pined for another man.
3. What made Rebekka and Jacob's relationship so hard at the beginning of their marriage?
(a) They could not have a baby.
(b) They were very poor.
(c) They were far away from family.
(d) Jacob had to travel for work.
4. What did Rebekka repeat over and over that she hated about her life before coming to Virginia?
(b) Sitting at home.
(d) Being courted.
5. Why is Minha Mae not sent with Florens when she is sent to another slave owner?
(a) Florens is worth enough.
(b) Her baby is breastfeeding.
(c) Florens doesn't want her.
(d) She is very sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who once helped Rebekka carry a heavy bundle?
2. With whom does Lina have a close friendship?
3. What changed Lina's opinions of Jacob?
4. Why does Florens not think a spirit will protect her?
5. Why couldn't Lina save her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rebekka's father feel about her as a young woman?
2. Why does Lina end up waiting in the woods for Florens?
3. Why does Rebekka have no children?
4. How does Jacob change, and what causes these changes?
5. What causes Jacob to be so confused before his death?
6. Why do Lina's ideas about the protecting spirits not comfort Florens while heading to the blacksmith's house?
7. How does Florens feel about the task she is given after Jacob's death?
8. What slightly offends Lina while Rebekka is in her fever?
9. Where does Rebekka find her biggest source of faith, and why does she think this is strange?
10. How does Lina try to honor her culture in her situation?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)