|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Florens think about her life as she leaves the blacksmith's house?
(a) It is worth nothing.
(b) It is over.
(c) It is clear now.
(d) It is just beginning.
2. What does Sorrow's imaginary friend do that makes her happy?
(a) Tells her about the sea.
(b) Cheers her up.
(c) Calls her by her given name.
(d) Sings her songs.
3. What did Minha Mae like about Jacob?
(a) He was older.
(b) He hated the D'Ortegas.
(c) He carried a Bible.
(d) He was a farmer.
4. Who is Florens's father?
(a) The Reverend Father.
(b) We don't know.
(c) One of the D'Ortega boys.
(d) The black smith.
5. Why isn't Sorrow allowed to use something?
(a) She is not well.
(b) She might break it.
(c) It is always used by someone else.
(d) Rebekka doesn't like the baby.
6. How does Sorrow feel about the blacksmith after she has her baby?
(a) She is cautious around him.
(b) She is angry with him.
(c) She is embarrassed around him.
(d) She is devoted to him.
7. Why did Florens want to wear shoes?
(a) To be whiter.
(b) To be different.
(c) To be taller.
(d) To protect her feet.
8. What kind of doll does Malaik have?
(a) A china doll.
(b) A voodoo doll.
(c) A rag doll.
(d) A cornhusk doll.
9. What does Florens say about those who claim rule over her?
(a) She doesn't have to follow them.
(b) She is nothing to them.
(c) She owes them her life.
(d) She was meant to be with them.
10. Where do men say Jacob was the happiest in his life?
(a) On the road.
(b) In the fields.
(c) His ship.
(d) His farm.
11. What does the blacksmith call Florens before she leaves his house?
(a) A whore.
(b) A sweet thing.
(c) A silly girl.
(d) A slave.
12. How does Sorrow feel when Lina tells her something when she comes to the farm?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is relieved.
13. What disease does Sorrow get while she is pregnant on the farm?
(d) Yellow Fever.
14. What does Florens write on at the farm?
(a) A board.
(c) Corn husks.
15. How does the blacksmith feel about the news Florens brings him?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is scared.
(d) He is happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange thing do Willard and Scully see after Jacob's death?
2. Why doesn't Minha Mae give her son away?
3. Why is Sorrow kicked out of the first house that takes her in after her father dies?
4. How does Malaik treat Florens?
5. How does Sorrow feel about her name?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)