1. What is Florens doing at the beginning of the book?
2. Why does Florens not know what certain events meant to her in her life?
(a) She is not allowed to think much
(b) She has a bad memory.
(c) So much has happened to her.
(d) She is scared.
3. What does Florens say there are too many of in her life?
4. What does minha mae mean?
(a) My watcher.
(b) The light.
(c) My mother.
(d) The beacon.
5. What language is minha mae?
6. Where does Florens live at the beginning of the book?
(a) A plantation.
(b) A poor house.
(c) A farm.
(d) A ship.
7. What did Florens always want to wear as a child?
8. How old was Florens when she came to where she lives at the beginning of the book?
9. What does Florens help boil in big vats?
This section contains 3,720 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)