|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mencken reports on a boxing with which famed boxer?
2. Who does Mencken identify as the father of chiropractic?
3. Who wrote Parsifal?
4. What is Mencken's view of chiropractors?
5. What is Mencken's central critique for socialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opinion does Mencken render about the Black Plague that decimated Europe in the Middle Ages?
2. Why does Mencken make mention of Sister Aimee? Who was Sister Aimee, and what was Mencken's opinion of her?
3. What is Mencken's opinion of the music of Johann Strauss? Why wasn't Strauss' music more well-received in America?
4. Describe the following under the category of what Mencken calls "'The Lesser Arts": a) oil painting, b) drama.
5. What is Mencken's own philosophy of psychology? What does he feel forms the basis of human psychology?
6. In an editorial dated October, 1928, Mencken discusses schoolboys. Summarize this article. What suggestions does Mencken have for improving education?
7. Summarize Mencken's account of the Scopes Monkey Trial and his impression of the town of Dayton, Tennessee.
8. Why does Mencken make mention of Charles Joseph Bonaparte? Who was Bonaparte, and what was Mencken's opinion of him?
9. Why does Mencken criticize the American Medical Association? What is his opinion of doctors as a professional class?
10. Summarize Mencken's views on William Dean Howells.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 22 is dedicated to "Utopian Flights."
1) What is a "Utopian Flight" as Mencken has described it? How does the notion of the Utopian flight relate to Mencken's view of human nature? How does the notion relate to Mencken's view of government?
2) Summarize Mencken's suggestion for choosing legislators. Discuss the mechanics of this system, and its supposed benefits.
3) Summarize Mencken's suggestion for "special laws" to be applied to government officials. Discuss the mechanics of this system, and its supposed benefits.
Essay Topic 2
Chapters 19 and 20 discuss Science and Quackery, respectively.
1) What is Mencken's belief about life on other planets? How have contemporary astronomers made an error on the subject?
2) What criticism does Mencken have about "Mr. Ayres"'s view on science, and how does this criticism relate to Mencken's own view of human nature?
3) What kind of science constitutes "quackery" in Mencken's opinion? How can "real" science be separated from "quack" science? How might Mencken account for the prevalence of quackery?
4) Give a few examples of quack science, as related by Mencken in Chapter 20.
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Mencken's views on women. Discuss each of the following topics:
a) Women's level of intelligence
b) Women's level of civility
c) The institution of marriage, and how it affects men and women
d) The role of beauty in man-woman relationships
e) The role of romantic love in man-woman relationships
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)