|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mencken consider the greatest classical composer?
2. Which contemporary author does Mencken compare to Edgar Allan Poe because of his taste for the macabre?
(a) Ring Lardner.
(b) Hamlin Garland.
(c) James Huneker.
(d) Ambrose Bierce.
3. In "Utopian Flights," how does Mencken believe legislators should be chosen?
(a) At random, not unlike jurors.
(b) By a committee of intellectuals.
(c) By the elected president.
(d) By a simple popular vote.
4. Who did the Black Plague mostly kill off, according to Mencken?
(a) Proletarians of high intelligence.
(b) Proletarians of low intelligence.
(c) Monarchs of low intelligence.
(d) Monarchs of high intelligence.
5. Mencken reports on a boxing with which famed boxer?
(a) Gene Tunney.
(b) Jack Dempsey.
(c) Fireman Jim Flynn.
(d) Gunboat Smith.
6. Who does Mencken call the most romantic American author of the nineteenth century?
(a) Stephen Crane.
(b) Henry James.
(c) William Dean Howells.
(d) Mark Twain.
7. What is Mencken's central critique for socialism?
(a) The U.S. refuses to embrace Bolshevik-style socialism, which is the only socialism which has worked.
(b) It is incompatible with the facts of history.
(c) It does not go far enough to redistribute wealth.
(d) It is a noble idea, but it has not been instituted correctly.
8. Sister Aimee was an evangelist in what branch of Christian religion?
9. Which author does Mencken believe is for "lunch-table idealists"?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Henry David Thoreau.
10. What point does Mencken make in his discussion of Darwinian evolution?
(a) Evolution is unable to explain most of human behavior.
(b) Evolution is an unbelievably slow process.
(c) Progress among humans often moves too fast.
(d) Evolution proves that religion is a farce.
11. Who wrote Parsifal?
12. What is the usual relationship between an artist and his countrymen?
(a) The artist is in perfect harmony with the community.
(b) The artist is at odds with his community.
(c) The artist works for the community.
(d) The artist has no relationship to his community.
13. What does Mencken believe about physical punishment in education?
(a) He believes physical punishment should have a regular place in the schedule of a school day.
(b) He believes there is no place for physical punishment in school.
(c) He believes physical punishment should be an option given to teachers.
(d) He believes only parents should be called upon to physically discipline their children.
14. What is the contemporary invention that Mencken likes most?
15. How does Mencken characterize the emotional state of most schoolboys?
(a) They are very sad.
(b) They are eager to learn and curious.
(c) They are murderously violent.
(d) They are happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American book does Mencken call one of history's great masterpieces?
2. What quality makes for the best literary critic, according to Chapter 24?
3. Which is NOT one of the features of the typical school day, as envisioned by Mencken?
4. What two types of rich people does Mencken see in America?
5. Which president did Charles Joseph Bonaparte work for?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)