|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the negative effects Mencken mentions in regards to Prohibition?
(a) More expensive alcohol.
(b) Undermining of state revenues.
(c) Only the poor have access to alcohol.
(d) Proliferation of bootleggers.
2. What quality makes for the best literary critic, according to Chapter 24?
(a) Adhering to a specific philosophical system.
(b) Advancing a personal agenda or doctrine.
(c) Accuracy and a need to refute error.
(d) The goal to create a work of art.
3. What does Mencken believe about Freudianism?
(a) It is complete quackery.
(b) It goes further to explain the human mind than anything before it.
(c) It it in no way truly reflects the brilliance of Sigmund Freud.
(d) It makes several valid points.
4. Why does Mencken criticize the American Medical Association?
(a) For turning down his membership application.
(b) For making it too easy to become a doctor.
(c) For supporting a bunch of quack science.
(d) For making it too difficult to become a doctor.
5. Who does Mencken call the most romantic American author of the nineteenth century?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Stephen Crane.
(c) Henry James.
(d) William Dean Howells.
6. Who wrote Sextet for Strings, Opus 18, which Mencken greatly praises?
7. What year did the New Deal programs begin?
8. Mencken has what criticism for "new poets"?
(a) They are too cerebral and scientific.
(b) They are too clever for their own good.
(c) They are too musical.
(d) They are too romantic and instinctive.
9. In "Utopian Flights," how does Mencken believe legislators should be chosen?
(a) By a committee of intellectuals.
(b) By the elected president.
(c) At random, not unlike jurors.
(d) By a simple popular vote.
10. What kind of test does Mencken believe teachers should have to pass prior to teaching?
(a) An SAT test.
(b) A test of general world knowledge.
(c) A speech test.
(d) An IQ test.
11. What do men become once they accumulate wealth?
(d) More amorous.
12. Where did Mencken meet Sister Aimee?
(a) The Los Angeles Basilica.
(b) The San Diego Zoo.
(c) An Indian retreat.
(d) The offices of the Baltimore Sun.
13. Who does Mencken consider the greatest classical composer?
14. Which is NOT one of the features of the typical school day, as envisioned by Mencken?
(a) The school day is boring and sad.
(b) Learning is a largely automatic process.
(c) For stimulation, schoolboys try to talk to other schoolboys and only get punished for it.
(d) Schoolboys deal with adults (teachers) they have great respect for.
15. Which contemporary author does Mencken compare to Edgar Allan Poe because of his taste for the macabre?
(a) James Huneker.
(b) Hamlin Garland.
(c) Ring Lardner.
(d) Ambrose Bierce.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, Mencken attends a church service during the Scopes Monkey Trial. What is his impression of that service?
2. What American book does Mencken call one of history's great masterpieces?
3. According to Mencken, how will "anyone who appreciates aural beauty" regard opera?
4. What is the second-worst job in the world, according to Chapter 17?
5. What two types of poetry does Mencken believe are the only viable ones?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)