|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23, Souvenirs of a Journalist, Chapter 24, Criticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two types of rich people does Mencken see in America?
(a) Investors in real estate and investors in bonds.
(b) Noble heroes and wicked villains.
(c) Money wasters and those who purchase public esteem.
(d) Slave masters and slaves.
2. What is Man's one unique characteristic, per Chapter 1?
(b) The ability to betray.
(d) Romantic feeling.
3. Which is NOT one of Mencken's view of humankind as expressed in Chapter 1?
(a) Man is prone to believe in ridiculous things.
(b) Man is full of errors.
(c) Man is the product of random and meaningless processes.
(d) Man is the center of the universe, and rightly so.
4. Who is the "ideal citizen of Christendom" according to Chapter 3?
(a) The hapless hero of a female novel.
(b) An emotionally cold woman.
(c) Young men drained of passion.
(d) Young men full of passion.
5. What unusual stance does Mencken take in regards to disease?
(a) Some diseases actually improve lives.
(b) All diseases are beneficial, as they help to thin human populations.
(c) Religion is sufficient to address disease.
(d) Diseases should not be treated with medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mencken believe about the universality of morality?
2. What point does Mencken make by bringing up an 84-year-old man he knew in Chapter 21?
3. What is the relationship between free will and morality?
4. Why is the "pretty man" hated?
5. In "female novels," how are males portrayed according to Mencken?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)