|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Statesmen, Chapter 14, American Immortals.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the features Mencken imagines for the Confederacy, had it survived the Civil War?
(a) It would be a wealthier place.
(b) It would never have abolished slavery.
(c) It would be a more cultured place.
(d) It would have a strong aristocracy in place.
2. What does Mencken believe about the universality of morality?
(a) Morality is universal, and differences between moral systems are small.
(b) Morality is specific to regions of the world.
(c) Morality depends upon the language one speaks.
(d) Morality is specific to a particular individual.
3. What is Mencken's belief about morality?
(a) Morality is unnecessary.
(b) Morality is reserved only for the aristocracy.
(c) Morality is necessary.
(d) Morality is a made-up concept that doesn't exist.
4. Mencken sees that too often any discussion of suicide is rooted in what incorrect notion?
(a) The family would suffer in a suicide.
(b) Death is painless.
(c) Killing oneself is an expensive proposition.
(d) Death is painful.
5. What effect has intermarriage had on the American South?
(a) It has introduced culture such as art and literature into the American South.
(b) It has positively blurred the lines between high class and low class.
(c) It has negatively blurred the lines between high class and low class.
(d) It has infused the American South with the very best qualities of Western Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most women think of their husbands according to Mencken?
2. What does Mencken NOT believe about the possibility for morality to change over time?
3. What is the relationship between Anglo-Saxons and civilization?
4. What is Man's one unique characteristic, per Chapter 1?
5. How intelligent are women according to Mencken?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)