|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Statesmen, Chapter 14, American Immortals.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of promises do politicians make?
(a) Ones they have no intention of fulfilling.
(b) Ones they have polled voters about.
(c) Ones they cannot deliver.
(d) Ones they can fulfill.
2. Why might "reflective and skeptical men" refrain from suicide?
(a) For the great women in life.
(b) For the good food in life.
(c) For the sense of humor in life.
(d) For the thrill of physical activity.
3. What does the "believer" type of person inevitably do?
(a) Maintains a faith in the improbable.
(b) Annoys the company he or she is with.
(c) Betrays friends as well as lovers.
(d) Thinks they are better than everyone.
4. What subject does Mencken begin his volume with?
(a) The horrors of the carnival.
(b) The mysteries of women.
(c) The automobile.
(d) The nature of man.
5. What is the "altruist" motivated by?
(a) A selfish sense of self-worth.
(b) Being uncomfortable with unhappy people around him or her.
(c) A divine inspiration.
(d) Out and out greed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the "pretty man" hated?
2. What is Mencken's opinion about the variety of political systems?
3. What was the goal of early democratists?
4. What "call" does Mencken make to America's poets in Chapter 7?
5. How has Mencken organized his book?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)