|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Statesmen, Chapter 14, American Immortals.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mencken's assessment of Abraham Lincoln?
(a) He was an out-and-out racist.
(b) He was a bumbler and not fit for office.
(c) He was a practical politician of great talent and rhetoric.
(d) He was a hard-living chauvinist dinosaur.
2. What kind of men does a democracy produce?
(a) Energetic men with too much time on their hands.
(b) Noble, confident men who do not envy others.
(c) Depressing men full of nostalgia.
(d) Stupid men who can barely master the multiplication tables.
3. What kind of promises do politicians make?
(a) Ones they have polled voters about.
(b) Ones they have no intention of fulfilling.
(c) Ones they can fulfill.
(d) Ones they cannot deliver.
4. What do most women think of their husbands according to Mencken?
(a) Women pity their husbands and consider them asses.
(b) Women are indifferent to their husbands and use them as mere tools.
(c) Women love and respect their husbands.
(d) Women fear and loathe their husbands.
5. New England owes much of its history to what group of people?
(a) Manhattan Indians.
(b) Delaware Indians.
(c) The Founding Fathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the qualities Mencken ascribes to William Jennings Bryan?
2. Why did England experience particular difficulties in World War I according to Mencken?
3. Before democracy came to be, what did people believe this system of government to be?
4. What kind of men has history been written by, to date?
5. How does Mencken define government?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)