|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, The South, Chapter 12, History.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the proper function of punishment for crimes?
(a) As a mere incentivizing device.
(b) As a deterrent only.
(c) As a deterrent, but also more.
(d) To create a sense of false dignity in society.
2. What period in history does Mencken refer to as "New Deal No. 1"?
(a) France in the 1840s.
(b) North Africa in the 1900s.
(c) Britain in the 1910s.
(d) America in the 1770s.
3. Who does Mencken dub "The Lady of Joy"?
(a) The happily married woman.
(b) His wife.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) A prostitute.
4. What kind of promises do politicians make?
(a) Ones they cannot deliver.
(b) Ones they can fulfill.
(c) Ones they have no intention of fulfilling.
(d) Ones they have polled voters about.
5. Punishment for crime is too often what, according to Mencken?
(a) Cruel and unusual.
(b) The product of poor people exerting influence over the rich.
(c) Effective, which results in the murder of the human spirit.
(d) Hypocritical and dishonest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mencken's opinion of romantic love?
2. Who is the "ideal citizen of Christendom" according to Chapter 3?
3. Who derives several advantages from marriage?
4. What is the purpose of monogamy, according to Mencken?
5. How does Mencken feel about the overall capacity for virtue in the human race?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)