|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Death, Chapter 8, Government.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mencken's opinion of the belief that man has a soul, according to Chapter 1?
(a) The notion of a soul is simple, but still very relevant today.
(b) The notion of a soul has led to unprecedented successes in philosophy and elsewhere.
(c) The notion of a soul is humanity's one bright spot.
(d) The notion of a soul has failed to result in more people acting like God.
2. What is the "altruist" motivated by?
(a) A divine inspiration.
(b) Out and out greed.
(c) A selfish sense of self-worth.
(d) Being uncomfortable with unhappy people around him or her.
3. How does Mencken feel about the overall capacity for virtue in the human race?
(a) Everyone is virtuous, it's just a matter of uncovering it.
(b) Most people are virtuous, but a few people spoil it for everyone.
(c) Virtue is a nonsense term, because everything is relative.
(d) Very few men are virtuous.
4. What is the chief problem with political theorists?
(a) They are too antagonistic to the current political system.
(b) They have little sense of history.
(c) They attempt to dignify the political order of their day.
(d) They hate politics in general.
5. What is the purpose of monogamy, according to Mencken?
(a) Marriage serves to emphasize romantic love.
(b) Marriage serves to enhance and legitimize passion.
(c) Marriage serves to kill and restrain passion.
(d) Marriage serves to protect society from itself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mencken's belief about the concept of sin?
2. What does the "romantic" type of person inevitably do?
3. Who derives several advantages from marriage?
4. In "female novels," how are males portrayed according to Mencken?
5. What is Mencken's opinion of original Christians?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)