|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Morals, Chapter 6, Crime and Punishment.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of Mencken's view of humankind as expressed in Chapter 1?
(a) Man is full of errors.
(b) Man is the center of the universe, and rightly so.
(c) Man is prone to believe in ridiculous things.
(d) Man is the product of random and meaningless processes.
2. Who does Mencken dub "The Lady of Joy"?
(a) His wife.
(b) A prostitute.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) The happily married woman.
3. What does the "metaphysical" type of person inevitably do?
(a) Tips their hat for no reason.
(b) Begs for spare change.
(c) Becomes paralyzed with fear over the enormity of the universe.
(d) Demands to know what you mean, even when it is obvious.
4. What is the purpose of monogamy, according to Mencken?
(a) Marriage serves to emphasize romantic love.
(b) Marriage serves to enhance and legitimize passion.
(c) Marriage serves to kill and restrain passion.
(d) Marriage serves to protect society from itself.
5. What is Mencken's opinion of original Christians?
(a) The historical record is so poor that Mencken cannot form an opinion.
(b) They were vulgar cads without imagination.
(c) They were patriots, akin to the Founding Fathers.
(d) They were "men's men" and should be looked upon as examples.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "altruist" motivated by?
2. What is Man's one unique characteristic, per Chapter 1?
3. What is the proper function of punishment for crimes?
4. Why is the "pretty man" hated?
5. What is Mencken's opinion of the belief that man has a soul, according to Chapter 1?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)