|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Morals, Chapter 6, Crime and Punishment.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Man's one unique characteristic, per Chapter 1?
(a) Romantic feeling.
(b) The ability to betray.
2. What does Mencken see as the problem with contemporary Protestantism?
(a) Protestants suffer from a Jewish weakness for poetry.
(b) There are few, sensible, centrist Protestants left.
(c) Protestants have forgotten the teachings of Jesus Christ.
(d) All modern Protestants are wishy-washy centrists.
3. What does Mencken NOT believe about the possibility for morality to change over time?
(a) Different subsections of morality can grow over time.
(b) Morality can adopt new ideas, like Christian beliefs.
(c) Morality evolves and grows over time.
(d) Morality was determined in ancient times, and has not changed.
4. How does Mencken characterize a woman's level of civility?
(a) Women are relatively uncivilized.
(b) Women do not submit to civilization and must be coerced.
(c) Women are much more civilized than men.
(d) Women have created their own civilization quite distinct from men.
5. Who does Mencken dub "The Lady of Joy"?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(b) His wife.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) The happily married woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Mencken begin his volume with?
2. What is Mencken's belief about the concept of sin?
3. Punishment for crime is too often what, according to Mencken?
4. How has Mencken organized his book?
5. What is the consequence of someone believing in God, according to Mencken in Chapter 1?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)