|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Morals, Chapter 6, Crime and Punishment.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mencken's belief about the concept of sin?
(a) Sin is the reason why children are born.
(b) Sin is just another word for good deed; it's all relative.
(c) Sin is real, and exists all around us.
(d) Sin is a made-up term, and does not really exist.
2. What is Man's one unique characteristic, per Chapter 1?
(a) Romantic feeling.
(c) The ability to betray.
3. What is Mencken's belief about crime?
(a) Crime is primarily a legal invention.
(b) Crime is primarily a product of capitalist society.
(c) Crime is impossible in aristocratic circles.
(d) Crime is primarily a social invention.
4. What do most women think of their husbands according to Mencken?
(a) Women pity their husbands and consider them asses.
(b) Women fear and loathe their husbands.
(c) Women are indifferent to their husbands and use them as mere tools.
(d) Women love and respect their husbands.
5. Who derives several advantages from marriage?
(a) Men only.
(b) Women only.
(c) Men and women equally.
(d) Only the state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mencken's opinion of romantic love?
2. What does the "romantic" type of person inevitably do?
3. What does Mencken believe about the concept of evil?
4. Why is the "pretty man" hated?
5. Who is the "ideal citizen of Christendom" according to Chapter 3?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)