|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Morals, Chapter 6, Crime and Punishment.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the "romantic" type of person inevitably do?
(a) Makes light of serious situations.
(b) Befriends everyone they meet.
2. How intelligent are women according to Mencken?
(a) They are completely stupid in thought and deed.
(b) They pretend to be intelligent, but deep down are quite stupid.
(c) They are usually much more intelligent than men.
(d) They pretend to be dumb, but are in fact quite intelligent.
3. Why is the "pretty man" hated?
(a) The pretty man is almost universally also very dumb.
(b) Women care less for beauty than men do.
(c) Women are jealous of pretty men.
(d) The pretty man reminds us of all of our own faults.
4. Who derives several advantages from marriage?
(a) Women only.
(b) Men only.
(c) Only the state.
(d) Men and women equally.
5. What comparison does Mencken make between man and animal in Chapter 1?
(a) The only thing man cannot do that animal can is fly.
(b) Many animals have superior faculties to man.
(c) The faculties of animal and man precisely balance when taken as a whole.
(d) Man in every way has faculties that are superior to animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Punishment for crime is too often what, according to Mencken?
2. Who is the "ideal citizen of Christendom" according to Chapter 3?
3. What does Mencken NOT believe about the possibility for morality to change over time?
4. What does Mencken see as the problem with contemporary Protestantism?
5. What is Mencken's opinion of the belief that man has a soul, according to Chapter 1?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)