|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Morals, Chapter 6, Crime and Punishment.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mencken's belief about the concept of sin?
(a) Sin is a made-up term, and does not really exist.
(b) Sin is real, and exists all around us.
(c) Sin is the reason why children are born.
(d) Sin is just another word for good deed; it's all relative.
2. Punishment for crime is too often what, according to Mencken?
(a) Effective, which results in the murder of the human spirit.
(b) The product of poor people exerting influence over the rich.
(c) Cruel and unusual.
(d) Hypocritical and dishonest.
3. What is the proper function of punishment for crimes?
(a) As a mere incentivizing device.
(b) As a deterrent only.
(c) As a deterrent, but also more.
(d) To create a sense of false dignity in society.
4. What do most women think of their husbands according to Mencken?
(a) Women love and respect their husbands.
(b) Women fear and loathe their husbands.
(c) Women pity their husbands and consider them asses.
(d) Women are indifferent to their husbands and use them as mere tools.
5. What is the consequence of someone believing in God, according to Mencken in Chapter 1?
(a) That person must be prepared to suffer eternal damnation for believing in the wrong god.
(b) That person must make offerings to his or her God.
(c) That person must ascribe all of Man's faults to God as well.
(d) That person must pray on a daily basis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mencken NOT believe about the possibility for morality to change over time?
2. What does Mencken believe about the concept of evil?
3. What does Mencken believe about the universality of morality?
4. What does the "believer" type of person inevitably do?
5. Who is the "ideal citizen of Christendom" according to Chapter 3?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)