|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, Pedagogy, Chapter 18, Psychology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the chief problem with political theorists?
(a) They attempt to dignify the political order of their day.
(b) They are too antagonistic to the current political system.
(c) They hate politics in general.
(d) They have little sense of history.
2. What was the goal of early democratists?
(a) Philosophical frameworks to support democracy.
(b) Definitions of concepts like truth and beauty.
(c) Concrete material gains.
(d) The overthrow of the wealthy.
3. What aspect of President Grant does Mencken admire?
(a) His hard-living, genuine lifestyle.
(b) His reputation for a clean, corruption-free administration.
(c) His oratorical prowess.
(d) His military prowess.
4. What is Mencken's assessment of Abraham Lincoln?
(a) He was a practical politician of great talent and rhetoric.
(b) He was a hard-living chauvinist dinosaur.
(c) He was an out-and-out racist.
(d) He was a bumbler and not fit for office.
5. At what event did Mencken first personally encounter William Jennings Bryan?
(a) The Scopes Monkey trial.
(b) The funeral of Grover Cleveland.
(c) Bryan's congressional trial for corruption.
(d) The 1912 Democratic National Convention.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does democracy ruin, according to Mencken?
2. What is Mencken's opinion of romantic love?
3. What is the relationship between Anglo-Saxons and civilization?
4. What does Mencken see as the problem with contemporary Protestantism?
5. Which is NOT one of the qualities of Anglo-Saxons Mencken points to in Chapter 10?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)