|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, Pedagogy, Chapter 18, Psychology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "average man's" opinion of government?
(a) The government is made up of people like him.
(b) The government is deceitful and contrary to his interests.
(c) The government is an unknown phenomenon the average man knows nothing about.
(d) The government is a source of great good.
2. What is the second-worst job in the world, according to Chapter 17?
(d) Market vendor.
3. Who derives several advantages from marriage?
(a) Only the state.
(b) Women only.
(c) Men only.
(d) Men and women equally.
4. What is Mencken's opinion of original Christians?
(a) They were "men's men" and should be looked upon as examples.
(b) The historical record is so poor that Mencken cannot form an opinion.
(c) They were patriots, akin to the Founding Fathers.
(d) They were vulgar cads without imagination.
5. Which is NOT one of the qualities of Anglo-Saxons Mencken points to in Chapter 10?
(a) Yearning to constantly improve.
(c) Rational and free of superstition.
(d) Pure blooded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mencken see as the problem with contemporary Protestantism?
2. Which politician does Mencken refer to as "a good man in a bad trade"?
3. What does Mencken believe about Freudianism?
4. Who rules American culture, according to Chapter 10?
5. What kind of test does Mencken believe teachers should have to pass prior to teaching?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)