|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, Pedagogy, Chapter 18, Psychology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the "pretty man" hated?
(a) Women are jealous of pretty men.
(b) The pretty man is almost universally also very dumb.
(c) Women care less for beauty than men do.
(d) The pretty man reminds us of all of our own faults.
2. What is the second-worst job in the world, according to Chapter 17?
(a) Market vendor.
3. How does Mencken characterize the emotional state of most schoolboys?
(a) They are murderously violent.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are eager to learn and curious.
(d) They are very sad.
4. What is Mencken's opinion of romantic love?
(a) It is a great and noble thing.
(b) Men must only marry for romantic love, and not for other considerations.
(c) It is a dangerous farce.
(d) It benefits men rather than women.
5. What do most women think of their husbands according to Mencken?
(a) Women are indifferent to their husbands and use them as mere tools.
(b) Women fear and loathe their husbands.
(c) Women pity their husbands and consider them asses.
(d) Women love and respect their husbands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Anglo-Saxons and civilization?
2. How does Mencken describe President Coolidge?
3. Mencken sees that too often any discussion of suicide is rooted in what incorrect notion?
4. What aspect of Lincoln's historical persona does Mencken doubt, or at least question?
5. Which is NOT one of the qualities Mencken ascribes to William Jennings Bryan?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)