|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, Pedagogy, Chapter 18, Psychology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why might "reflective and skeptical men" refrain from suicide?
(a) For the good food in life.
(b) For the sense of humor in life.
(c) For the great women in life.
(d) For the thrill of physical activity.
2. Why is the culture of the United States deficient, according to Chapter 10?
(a) The U.S. lacks social programs for the poor.
(b) The U.S. lacks a healthy skepticism for so-called artists.
(c) The U.S. lacks a sound monetary policy.
(d) The U.S. lacks a civilized aristocracy.
3. What kind of test does Mencken believe teachers should have to pass prior to teaching?
(a) A speech test.
(b) An SAT test.
(c) An IQ test.
(d) A test of general world knowledge.
4. What is Mencken's opinion of original Christians?
(a) They were "men's men" and should be looked upon as examples.
(b) The historical record is so poor that Mencken cannot form an opinion.
(c) They were patriots, akin to the Founding Fathers.
(d) They were vulgar cads without imagination.
5. What is the "average man's" opinion of government?
(a) The government is a source of great good.
(b) The government is an unknown phenomenon the average man knows nothing about.
(c) The government is made up of people like him.
(d) The government is deceitful and contrary to his interests.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the qualities Mencken ascribes to William Jennings Bryan?
2. Which is NOT one of the reasons Mencken praises George Washington?
3. Who does Mencken dub "The Lady of Joy"?
4. What is the chief problem with political theorists?
5. What is NOT one of the qualities of being a teacher according to Mencken?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)