|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the arresting officers allow Alice to take with her?
2. Who is Theresa's husband?
3. Where does Howard's mother live?
4. Theresa tells Alice that she saw _____________________________.
5. Alice asks Howard not to tell Nellie or ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Alice's thoughts on religion are still very elementary?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Robbie Mackessy's mother in the hospital lounge scene?
3. Why do the police officers wait outside the restroom and why do they want to question Alice?
4. What comment does Alice call out when the officers question her and how can it be detrimental for her?
5. What bizarre ideas does Alice have regarding sacrifice in Christian beliefs?
6. Why does Alice compare herself to Mr. Rochester's mad wife in JANE EYRE?
7. What is the tragedy that occurs early in the story?
8. Describe the behavior of Howard and Alice in the church for Lizzy's funeral.
9. What stresses wear on Howard both at home and with Alice's incarceration?
10. What is the relationship between Alice and her mother-in-law, Nellie, after Lizzy's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Nellie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)