|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nellie will be leaving soon to work in what country?
2. Where does Alice live?
3. Where does Alice work?
4. What is Alice's job?
5. Who is Theresa's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Rafferty give Alice and what does Howard worry about, given Alice's history?
2. What is the purpose of the shopping trip to get Howard a new suit?
3. On what does Howard base the entirety of his legal knowledge?
4. What stresses wear on Howard both at home and with Alice's incarceration?
5. How does the author show that Alice's thoughts on religion are still very elementary?
6. What is the purpose of Chapter 7 and how will Nellie's departure mean volatility?
7. Why does Alice compare herself to Mr. Rochester's mad wife in JANE EYRE?
8. How do Mrs. Mackessy and Mrs. M.L. Glevitch push Alice to the breaking point at Lizzy's funeral?
9. How does the topic of reincarnation figure into Alice's thoughts now?
10. What thoughts does Alice have regarding God that show her elementary thinking on the topic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of religion. Identify at least two examples about religion in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of religion.
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Alice and Theresa. What are their obvious differences? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)