|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is annoying Howard about Alice lately?
2. When does the enormity of Lizzy's death hit Howard?
3. One of the girls has told a story about Alice's inappropriate discussion about ____________________.
4. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Alice sleeps for days?
5. Howard wants Alice to get ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts does Alice have regarding God that show her elementary thinking on the topic?
2. What is the nature of the impromptu meeting between Alice and Theresa in the apple orchard?
3. How do Mrs. Mackessy and Mrs. M.L. Glevitch push Alice to the breaking point at Lizzy's funeral?
4. What bizarre ideas does Alice have regarding sacrifice in Christian beliefs?
5. Why do the police officers wait outside the restroom and why do they want to question Alice?
6. What is the purpose of the shopping trip to get Howard a new suit?
7. Who is Nellie and what is her relationship with the Goodwins?
8. How does the author show that Alice's thoughts on religion are still very elementary?
9. What is the relationship between Alice and her mother-in-law, Nellie, after Lizzy's funeral?
10. What is Alice's only demand on Howard when she goes to jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Howard. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book A MAP OF THE WORLD? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)