|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alice wishes that Howard could _____________________.
2. Where does Alice work?
3. How supportive is Howard as Alice worries about attending the funeral?
4. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
5. What does Howard want to throw at Miss Bowman when he picks up the girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Chapter 7 and how will Nellie's departure mean volatility?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Robbie Mackessy's mother in the hospital lounge scene?
3. What advice does Rafferty give Alice and what does Howard worry about, given Alice's history?
4. What is revealed about Alice and Howard's religious beliefs?
5. What advice does Theresa get from her friend, Albert, regarding mourning for Lizzy?
6. How does the topic of reincarnation figure into Alice's thoughts now?
7. How does the author show that Alice's thoughts on religion are still very elementary?
8. Why does Alice compare herself to Mr. Rochester's mad wife in JANE EYRE?
9. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
10. What is the purpose of the shopping trip to get Howard a new suit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Howard spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. About what does he think? At what conclusions does he arrive? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Hamilton use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)