Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard wants Alice to get ______________________.
2. Alice is compared to which fictional character?
3. Alice is in jail in which town?
4. Alice meets a young __________________ minister whom she considers a phony.
5. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Alice's mother recording Laura Ingalls Wilder's LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS?
2. Describe Theresa's last night with Howard and the girls.
3. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Robbie Mackessy's mother in the hospital lounge scene?
4. What thoughts does Alice have regarding God that show her elementary thinking on the topic?
5. What is Alice's perspective on forgiveness by the end of the novel?
6. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
7. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
8. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
9. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
10. What comment does Alice call out when the officers question her and how can it be detrimental for her?
Essay Topic 1
Hamilton is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Howard. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)