Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard wants Alice to get ______________________.
2. Alice is compared to which fictional character?
3. Alice is in jail in which town?
4. Alice meets a young __________________ minister whom she considers a phony.
5. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Alice's mother recording Laura Ingalls Wilder's LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS?
2. Describe Theresa's last night with Howard and the girls.
3. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Robbie Mackessy's mother in the hospital lounge scene?
4. What thoughts does Alice have regarding God that show her elementary thinking on the topic?
5. What is Alice's perspective on forgiveness by the end of the novel?
6. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
7. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
8. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
9. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
10. What comment does Alice call out when the officers question her and how can it be detrimental for her?
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Howard and Alice and Theresa and Dan. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, and other life-defining features.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Hamilton's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author uses them where she does.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)