Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard wants Alice to get ______________________.
2. Alice is compared to which fictional character?
3. Alice is in jail in which town?
4. Alice meets a young __________________ minister whom she considers a phony.
5. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Alice's mother recording Laura Ingalls Wilder's LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS?
2. Describe Theresa's last night with Howard and the girls.
3. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Robbie Mackessy's mother in the hospital lounge scene?
4. What thoughts does Alice have regarding God that show her elementary thinking on the topic?
5. What is Alice's perspective on forgiveness by the end of the novel?
6. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
7. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
8. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
9. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
10. What comment does Alice call out when the officers question her and how can it be detrimental for her?
Essay Topic 1
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book A MAP OF THE WORLD? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)