|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice think of Carol?
2. What does Howard think about the prayers at the hospital?
3. Who is Robbie Mackessy?
4. What does Howard warn Alice not to do in church?
5. Where does Howard's mother live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
2. Describe the behavior of Howard and Alice in the church for Lizzy's funeral.
3. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
4. What is the nature of the relationship between Alice and Howard at this point?
5. How does the trial turn in Alice's favor with the testimony of witnesses about Robbie's mother's inappropriate behavior?
6. What happens after Howard and the girls leave the jail and what does Howard bring up in a letter he writes to Alice?
7. What is the purpose of Chapter 7 and how will Nellie's departure mean volatility?
8. What is Theresa's view on mercy at this point in her life?
9. What is the tragedy that occurs early in the story?
10. What is the nature of the impromptu meeting between Alice and Theresa in the apple orchard?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Howard. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,665 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)