|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard's mother treats him like __________________.
2. What does Alice beg Lizzy to do after she bolts from the church?
3. What has Alice been doing constantly lately?
4. Alice meets a young __________________ minister whom she considers a phony.
5. Alice sees herself as ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
2. What is Alice's job and why did she enter into this career field?
3. What bizarre ideas does Alice have regarding sacrifice in Christian beliefs?
4. How do Howard and the girls prepare to move out of the farmhouse?
5. What advice does Rafferty give Alice and what does Howard worry about, given Alice's history?
6. How does A MAP OF THE WORLD begin?
7. How does Alice refer to her map of the world while describing her jail experience?
8. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
9. What is revealed about Alice and Howard's religious beliefs?
10. What is Alice's only demand on Howard when she goes to jail?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Alice and Theresa. What are their obvious differences? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Nellie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Theresa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)