|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alice wishes that Howard could _____________________.
2. Where does Howard's mother live?
3. What does Howard think about while waiting to see Alice in jail?
4. Who is the principal of Blackwell Elementary?
5. Who is the Collins' remaining daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nellie and what is her relationship with the Goodwins?
2. What is the importance of Alice's mother recording Laura Ingalls Wilder's LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS?
3. What thoughts does Alice have regarding God that show her elementary thinking on the topic?
4. What is the tragedy that occurs early in the story?
5. Describe the behavior of Howard and Alice in the church for Lizzy's funeral.
6. Describe how Howard's life has changed due to harassing phone calls and reporters.
7. What is the purpose of Chapter 7 and how will Nellie's departure mean volatility?
8. What stresses wear on Howard both at home and with Alice's incarceration?
9. What is Alice's only demand on Howard when she goes to jail?
10. Describe the School Board meeting when Alice runs away.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Howard. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book A MAP OF THE WORLD? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Theresa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)