|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student had Alice slapped in a moment of extreme frustration?
2. Where does Alice go to avoid a talk with Nellie?
3. Where does Howard's mother live?
4. Which of Theresa's daughters drowns in Alice's pond?
5. Who is Theresa's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Theresa get from her friend, Albert, regarding mourning for Lizzy?
2. Describe the behavior of Howard and Alice in the church for Lizzy's funeral.
3. How do Mrs. Mackessy and Mrs. M.L. Glevitch push Alice to the breaking point at Lizzy's funeral?
4. What is Alice's only demand on Howard when she goes to jail?
5. Describe the School Board meeting when Alice runs away.
6. What bizarre ideas does Alice have regarding sacrifice in Christian beliefs?
7. How does A MAP OF THE WORLD begin?
8. Who is Nellie and what is her relationship with the Goodwins?
9. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
10. Describe how Howard's life has changed due to harassing phone calls and reporters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Theresa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Hamilton use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Howard spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. About what does he think? At what conclusions does he arrive? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)