|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cared for Alice when her mother died?
2. Where does Alice plan to take her and Theresa's daughters to escape the summer heat?
3. What does Nellie advise Howard to do regarding Alice?
4. What is Alice's husband's profession?
5. How many felony counts does Alice face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alice's job and why did she enter into this career field?
2. How does the topic of reincarnation figure into Alice's thoughts now?
3. Why do the police officers wait outside the restroom and why do they want to question Alice?
4. What comment does Alice call out when the officers question her and how can it be detrimental for her?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Robbie Mackessy's mother in the hospital lounge scene?
6. What is the purpose of Chapter 7 and how will Nellie's departure mean volatility?
7. What is the nature of the relationship between Alice and Howard at this point?
8. What is the tragedy that occurs early in the story?
9. Describe the School Board meeting when Alice runs away.
10. How do Mrs. Mackessy and Mrs. M.L. Glevitch push Alice to the breaking point at Lizzy's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book A MAP OF THE WORLD? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Alice and Theresa. What are their obvious differences? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)