|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Howard play after dinner?
2. Where does Alice go when she bolts from the church?
3. What does Susannah Brooks do when Howard asks her to watch the girls?
4. What is Theresa doing when Alice sees her?
5. How many felony counts does Alice face?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what does Howard base the entirety of his legal knowledge?
2. Who is Nellie and what is her relationship with the Goodwins?
3. Describe the School Board meeting when Alice runs away.
4. Describe how Howard's life has changed due to harassing phone calls and reporters.
5. How do Mrs. Mackessy and Mrs. M.L. Glevitch push Alice to the breaking point at Lizzy's funeral?
6. What is Alice's job and why did she enter into this career field?
7. What is the relationship between Alice and her mother-in-law, Nellie, after Lizzy's funeral?
8. What advice does Rafferty give Alice and what does Howard worry about, given Alice's history?
9. What is the purpose of the shopping trip to get Howard a new suit?
10. What is the importance of Alice's mother recording Laura Ingalls Wilder's LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of religion. Identify at least two examples about religion in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of religion.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Alice and Theresa. What are their obvious differences? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 3
Howard spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. About what does he think? At what conclusions does he arrive? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)