|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Theresa's husband?
2. Alice asks Howard not to tell Nellie or ___________________.
3. Which of the following does Howard NOT tell Alice on the ride home from the funeral?
4. When does the enormity of Lizzy's death hit Howard?
5. How many felony counts does Alice face?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Alice's thoughts on religion are still very elementary?
2. Why do the police officers wait outside the restroom and why do they want to question Alice?
3. What happens after Howard and the girls leave the jail and what does Howard bring up in a letter he writes to Alice?
4. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
5. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
6. Describe Theresa's last night with Howard and the girls.
7. How does Theresa add comfort to the lives of Howard and the girls at the same time that the farm is dying?
8. What does Theresa tell Howard regarding her feelings about her and her life with Dan now?
9. What is the nature of the relationship between Alice and Howard at this point?
10. How do Howard and the girls prepare to move out of the farmhouse?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 1,694 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)