|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alice go when she bolts from the church?
2. Alice wishes that Howard could _____________________.
3. Which of Theresa's daughters drowns in Alice's pond?
4. Where does Alice work?
5. Which of the following is something that does NOT worry Howard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
2. What is the nature of the relationship between Alice and Howard at this point?
3. What thoughts does Alice have regarding God that show her elementary thinking on the topic?
4. What comment does Alice call out when the officers question her and how can it be detrimental for her?
5. What advice does Rafferty give Alice and what does Howard worry about, given Alice's history?
6. What is the relationship between Alice and her mother-in-law, Nellie, after Lizzy's funeral?
7. Why do the police officers wait outside the restroom and why do they want to question Alice?
8. How does the author show that Alice's thoughts on religion are still very elementary?
9. How do Mrs. Mackessy and Mrs. M.L. Glevitch push Alice to the breaking point at Lizzy's funeral?
10. Describe how Howard's life has changed due to harassing phone calls and reporters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Hamilton's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author uses them where she does.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)