|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alice meets a young __________________ minister whom she considers a phony.
2. About what does Howard try to assure Alice?
3. What is Alice's husband's profession?
4. To whom had Alice reported her slapping a student?
5. What does Alice think of Carol?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Howard's life has changed due to harassing phone calls and reporters.
2. What is the nature of the impromptu meeting between Alice and Theresa in the apple orchard?
3. What is the tragedy that occurs early in the story?
4. What is the purpose of the shopping trip to get Howard a new suit?
5. What is the purpose of Chapter 7 and how will Nellie's departure mean volatility?
6. How do Mrs. Mackessy and Mrs. M.L. Glevitch push Alice to the breaking point at Lizzy's funeral?
7. What is the importance of Alice's mother recording Laura Ingalls Wilder's LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS?
8. What is Alice's job and why did she enter into this career field?
9. What is revealed about Alice and Howard's religious beliefs?
10. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of religion. Identify at least two examples about religion in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of religion.
Essay Topic 2
Howard spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. About what does he think? At what conclusions does he arrive? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)