|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Theresa doing when Alice sees her?
2. Theresa tells Alice that she saw _____________________________.
3. Nellie will be leaving soon to work in what country?
4. Where does Howard's mother live?
5. Alice jokes that jail is _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does A MAP OF THE WORLD begin?
2. What bizarre ideas does Alice have regarding sacrifice in Christian beliefs?
3. On what does Howard base the entirety of his legal knowledge?
4. What is revealed about Alice and Howard's religious beliefs?
5. Who is Nellie and what is her relationship with the Goodwins?
6. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
7. What is Alice's job and why did she enter into this career field?
8. What is the importance of Alice's mother recording Laura Ingalls Wilder's LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS?
9. Describe how Howard's life has changed due to harassing phone calls and reporters.
10. Describe the School Board meeting when Alice runs away.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of religion. Identify at least two examples about religion in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of religion.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story from Alice's perspective and then transitions to Howard's perspective and then reverts back to Alice's perspective. Why did she choose to tell the story this way? In what way is an alternating point of view more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
Howard spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. About what does he think? At what conclusions does he arrive? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)