|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Alice's cell mate?
2. Who is one of the few adults, other than Theresa, who has spoken to Howard this summer?
(a) The seed salesman.
(b) The Lutheran minister.
(c) The auctioneer.
(d) The tractor repairman.
3. Theresa faults her relatives for ________________________.
(a) Wanting vengeance on Alice.
(b) Bad genes.
(c) Inappropriate behavior.
4. Where do the girls want to live if Alice does not get out of jail?
(a) With Howard.
(b) With Miss Bowman.
(c) With Theresa.
(d) With Nellie.
5. What religion does Alice consider while in prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which real estate company does Howard call?
2. What does Alice note about a bride she sees on the street?
3. Rafferty intends to reveal Mrs. Mackessy as ________________.
4. Who is the first potential buyer to look at Howard's farm?
5. What does Dan do to avoid thinking about Lizzy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Howard's perspective on the Goethe quote carved above the courthouse entrance?
2. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
3. How does Theresa add comfort to the lives of Howard and the girls at the same time that the farm is dying?
4. What is Howard's interpretation of Alice's fleeing from the girls when they visit the jail for the first time?
5. What is the purpose of the interviews conducted with Alice's daughters and the Child Welfare Office?
6. How does the sale of the farm affect both Howard and Alice?
7. What is happening in the Goodwin's lives that starts to let them feel normal again?
8. What is the story about a dog and a tangled leash that recurs throughout the novel?
9. How does Theresa compare court to church?
10. What are Alice's thoughts about religion as she is locked up?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)