|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who insists on interviewing Alice's daughters?
(a) District Attorney.
(b) Child Welfare Office.
(c) School Principal.
(d) Guardian ad litem.
2. What surgery does Alice have while in jail?
(a) Heart surgery.
(b) Appendix surgery.
(c) Gallbladder surgery.
(d) Brain surgery.
3. With what natural disaster is Howard dealing during this time?
(c) Rainy season.
4. Where does Howard get a job?
(a) The Motor Vehicle Registration Office.
(b) A lumberyard.
(d) The Children's Services Office.
5. What is notable about Alice's face when she sees the girls?
(a) It is sad.
(b) It is joyful.
(c) It is pale.
(d) It is bruised.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is Alice in jail?
2. What do Howard and Alice buy for the girls on the way home from court?
3. Rafferty intends to reveal Mrs. Mackessy as ________________.
4. Howard recalls his father's moral of ____________________.
5. Where does Theresa ask Alice to go with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Howard's interpretation of Alice's fleeing from the girls when they visit the jail for the first time?
2. How does Theresa compare court to church?
3. How does Alice refer to her map of the world while describing her jail experience?
4. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
5. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
6. How do Howard and the girls prepare to move out of the farmhouse?
7. Why is the lunch between Theresa and Alice so awkward?
8. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
9. How does Theresa add comfort to the lives of Howard and the girls at the same time that the farm is dying?
10. What is Howard's perspective on the Goethe quote carved above the courthouse entrance?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)