|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Howard concentrates on the life cycles of __________________.
2. Rafferty intends to reveal Mrs. Mackessy as ________________.
(a) A homewrecker.
(b) A wronged woman.
(c) A saint.
(d) A common slut.
3. Where do Howard, Alice and the girls stop on the way home from jail?
(b) A park.
4. Alice is perceived as a ________________ in prison.
5. How old is Robbie Mackessy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Alice consider while in prison?
2. Which of the following is NOT something about court that Theresa compares to religion?
3. What does the judge order both sides in the trial to avoid mentioning?
4. What is ruining Howard's farm?
5. What animal does Howard slaughter in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alice refer to her map of the world while describing her jail experience?
2. What is Theresa's view on mercy at this point in her life?
3. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
4. What is happening in the Goodwin's lives that starts to let them feel normal again?
5. Describe Theresa's last night with Howard and the girls.
6. How does Alice describe jail and why is it so difficult for her?
7. How does Theresa add comfort to the lives of Howard and the girls at the same time that the farm is dying?
8. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
9. What is the story about a dog and a tangled leash that recurs throughout the novel?
10. What is Howard's perspective on the Goethe quote carved above the courthouse entrance?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)