|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first potential buyer to look at Howard's farm?
(a) Mrs. Edward Reiman.
(b) Mr. Paul Shannon.
(c) Mrs. Arnold Reesman.
(d) Mrs. Phil Goranson.
2. What is Alice wearing when she sees the girls?
(a) A pink bracelet.
(b) Green jumpsuit.
(c) Pink slippers.
(d) A pink bandana.
3. Why does Theresa feel guilty about Alice's arrest?
(a) She reinforced the lies of the children when questioned.
(b) She planted the stories that the children tell about Alice.
(c) She made a phone call to the sheriff's office about Alice.
(d) She could have cleared everything up if she had been in town.
4. What animal does Howard slaughter in Chapter 11?
5. Where does Theresa ask Alice to go with her?
(a) To lunch.
(b) To the mall.
(c) To a concert.
(d) To a museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard wants to move as far away as Alaska or ___________________.
2. Howard meditates on the impact of personality in history and cites Mikhail Gorbachev and __________________.
3. Howard and the girls move into a townhouse at _____________________.
4. Why is Alice mad at Theresa?
5. Who is the Assistant District Attorney in Alice's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story about a dog and a tangled leash that recurs throughout the novel?
2. Describe Theresa's last night with Howard and the girls.
3. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
4. What is Theresa's view on mercy at this point in her life?
5. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
6. What happens after Howard and the girls leave the jail and what does Howard bring up in a letter he writes to Alice?
7. What are Alice's thoughts about religion as she is locked up?
8. What is Theresa's response to Alice's arrest and what role will she probably play in Alice's defense?
9. What is the purpose of the interviews conducted with Alice's daughters and the Child Welfare Office?
10. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)