|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rafferty wants Alice to behave like which actress while in court?
(a) Meryl Streep.
(b) Glenn Close.
(c) Lauren Bacall.
(d) Audrey Hepburn.
2. Who is the real estate agent who comes to view Howard's farm?
(a) Joanne Grieshop.
(b) Sandy Brickman.
(c) Betty Sanderson.
(d) Alice Meyerson.
3. Howard wants to move as far away as Alaska or ___________________.
(b) New Zealand.
4. Where do the girls want to live if Alice does not get out of jail?
(a) With Howard.
(b) With Miss Bowman.
(c) With Theresa.
(d) With Nellie.
5. What animal does Howard slaughter in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Howard's dairy museum?
2. Howard describes a quote by ________________ which is carved over the courthouse entrance.
3. Who is the Assistant District Attorney in Alice's case?
4. Who will eventually be a major witness for the defense?
5. Who is the first potential buyer to look at Howard's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
2. What are Alice's thoughts about religion as she is locked up?
3. How is the Goodwin family's life in the apartment radically different from the farm where they belong?
4. What is the story about a dog and a tangled leash that recurs throughout the novel?
5. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
6. How does Alice describe jail and why is it so difficult for her?
7. What is the purpose of the interviews conducted with Alice's daughters and the Child Welfare Office?
8. What happens after Howard and the girls leave the jail and what does Howard bring up in a letter he writes to Alice?
9. Why is the lunch between Theresa and Alice so awkward?
10. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)