|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is notable about Alice's face when she sees the girls?
(a) It is joyful.
(b) It is pale.
(c) It is bruised.
(d) It is sad.
2. Where do the girls want to live if Alice does not get out of jail?
(a) With Miss Bowman.
(b) With Nellie.
(c) With Theresa.
(d) With Howard.
3. Rafferty enjoys an image of those he dislikes in court as _______________________.
(a) Being shot with BB guns.
(b) Being naked.
(c) Walking on hot coals.
(d) Floating down a tranquil river and hitting rocks.
4. Howard recalls that his father threatened to _______________ if he got a woman pregnant.
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Report him.
(c) Kick him out.
(d) Disown him.
5. How does Robbie show in court the horrible things that Alice supposedly did to him?
(a) He uses paper dolls.
(b) He uses a picture in a book.
(c) He uses a poster.
(d) He uses a doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard concentrates on the life cycles of __________________.
2. Who insists on interviewing Alice's daughters?
3. What do Howard and Alice buy for the girls on the way home from court?
4. What is Howard doing when Theresa comes to the house?
5. What does Theresa tell Alice that she has done to save her own marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Theresa's view on mercy at this point in her life?
2. Describe Theresa's last night with Howard and the girls.
3. Why is the lunch between Theresa and Alice so awkward?
4. What is Howard's interpretation of Alice's fleeing from the girls when they visit the jail for the first time?
5. What is the story about a dog and a tangled leash that recurs throughout the novel?
6. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
7. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
8. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
9. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
10. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)