|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the girls want to live if Alice does not get out of jail?
(a) With Howard.
(b) With Nellie.
(c) With Miss Bowman.
(d) With Theresa.
2. To what television program does Howard refer when discussing legal matters?
(a) CSI: Miami.
(b) Law & Order.
(c) Perry Mason.
(d) Barney Miller.
3. Howard and the girls move into a townhouse at _____________________.
(a) Washington Park.
(b) Pheasant Glade.
(c) Governor's Square.
4. To which Biblical person does Alice liken herself?
(c) John the Baptist.
5. Alice is in fear of what _______________ could do to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alice likens jail to ________________________.
2. Where is Emma now reluctant to go?
3. Whom do Howard and the girls see on the way home from the jail?
4. What is Howard doing when Theresa comes to the house?
5. Rafferty wants Alice to behave like which actress while in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
2. How does the sale of the farm affect both Howard and Alice?
3. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
4. What does Theresa tell Howard regarding her feelings about her and her life with Dan now?
5. What is the story about a dog and a tangled leash that recurs throughout the novel?
6. What is Howard's perspective on the Goethe quote carved above the courthouse entrance?
7. What is the purpose of the interviews conducted with Alice's daughters and the Child Welfare Office?
8. What is Alice's perspective on Nellie's so-called generosity?
9. What is happening in the Goodwin's lives that starts to let them feel normal again?
10. What is Theresa's response to Alice's arrest and what role will she probably play in Alice's defense?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)