|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city is Alice in jail?
2. Who is the real estate agent who comes to view Howard's farm?
(a) Alice Meyerson.
(b) Joanne Grieshop.
(c) Sandy Brickman.
(d) Betty Sanderson.
3. Whom do Howard and the girls see on the way home from the jail?
(a) Theresa and Audrey.
(b) A man begging for food by the highway.
(c) Miss Bowman.
4. Where do the girls want to live if Alice does not get out of jail?
(a) With Miss Bowman.
(b) With Howard.
(c) With Theresa.
(d) With Nellie.
5. Why is Alice mad at Theresa?
(a) She has stopped watching the girls.
(b) She has not come to see her.
(c) She is sleeping with her husband.
(d) She is spreading rumors about her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alice's trial is set for which month?
2. Why is Alice so sad about the loss of the farm?
3. Rafferty enjoys an image of those he dislikes in court as _______________________.
4. What does Alice do between meals in jail?
5. Rafferty wants Alice to behave like which actress while in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the sale of the farm affect both Howard and Alice?
2. What does Theresa tell Howard regarding her feelings about her and her life with Dan now?
3. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
4. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
5. How does Alice refer to her map of the world while describing her jail experience?
6. What is the story about a dog and a tangled leash that recurs throughout the novel?
7. What is Howard's interpretation of Alice's fleeing from the girls when they visit the jail for the first time?
8. What is Theresa's response to Alice's arrest and what role will she probably play in Alice's defense?
9. How does Alice describe jail and why is it so difficult for her?
10. What is the purpose of the interviews conducted with Alice's daughters and the Child Welfare Office?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)