|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Howard get a job?
(a) The Motor Vehicle Registration Office.
(c) A lumberyard.
(d) The Children's Services Office.
2. In what religion did Theresa grow up?
3. Who is one of the few adults, other than Theresa, who has spoken to Howard this summer?
(a) The Lutheran minister.
(b) The auctioneer.
(c) The seed salesman.
(d) The tractor repairman.
4. Why is Alice so sad about the loss of the farm?
(a) She had had plans to fix it up.
(b) It is the only place she ever felt safe.
(c) It is where her girls were born.
(d) It is her family home.
5. How old is Robbie Mackessy?
6. Howard refers to The Gettysburg Address which was written by whom?
(a) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
7. Where do Howard, Alice and the girls stop on the way home from jail?
(d) A park.
8. What does Alice note about a bride she sees on the street?
(a) She looks sad.
(b) She is radiant.
(c) She is very tall.
(d) She has missing teeth.
9. To which Biblical person does Alice liken herself?
(a) John the Baptist.
10. What is the only constant TV program on during the week in jail?
(b) Wheel of Fortune.
(c) Law & Order.
11. Howard meditates on the impact of personality in history and cites Mikhail Gorbachev and __________________.
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) Margaret Thatcher.
(c) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
12. About what does Theresa cry in Howard's arms?
(a) Her divorce.
(b) Her mother's death.
(c) Her job loss.
(d) Lizzy's burial.
13. What is Howard doing when Theresa comes to the house?
(a) Helping the girls with homework.
(b) Cleaning Emma's stained T-shirt.
(c) Fixing supper.
(d) Milking cows.
14. Where do Howard and the girls find a place to live?
(b) Spring Grove.
15. What religion does Alice consider while in prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Alice's cell mate?
2. What do Howard and Alice buy for the girls on the way home from court?
3. Why is Alice mad at Theresa?
4. Who is the Assistant District Attorney in Alice's case?
5. Who insists on interviewing Alice's daughters?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)