|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Howard and Alice buy for the girls on the way home from court?
2. What does Howard leave at the house?
(a) Stamp collection.
(c) Washer and dryer.
(d) A chest of historical items.
3. What does the judge order both sides in the trial to avoid mentioning?
(a) Alice's surgery.
(b) The sale of the farm.
4. What is notable about Alice's face when she sees the girls?
(a) It is pale.
(b) It is bruised.
(c) It is sad.
(d) It is joyful.
5. About what does Theresa cry in Howard's arms?
(a) Her divorce.
(b) Her job loss.
(c) Lizzy's burial.
(d) Her mother's death.
6. What is Howard's state of mind in this section?
7. Howard recalls that his father threatened to _______________ if he got a woman pregnant.
(a) Disown him.
(b) Report him.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Kick him out.
8. Why is Alice mad at Theresa?
(a) She has not come to see her.
(b) She has stopped watching the girls.
(c) She is spreading rumors about her.
(d) She is sleeping with her husband.
9. To what television program does Howard refer when discussing legal matters?
(a) CSI: Miami.
(b) Barney Miller.
(c) Law & Order.
(d) Perry Mason.
10. Rafferty enjoys an image of those he dislikes in court as _______________________.
(a) Being shot with BB guns.
(b) Walking on hot coals.
(c) Being naked.
(d) Floating down a tranquil river and hitting rocks.
11. What medical procedure had Theresa had after Lizzy's birth?
(a) A tubal ligation.
(b) Gallbladder surgery.
(c) Plastic surgery.
(d) Colon cancer surgery.
12. Why does Howard decide to take the girls to see Alice?
(a) Alice has asked to see them.
(b) It is family day at the jail.
(c) He has no one to watch them.
(d) It is Claire's birthday.
13. Alice is in fear of what _______________ could do to her.
14. Where does Howard get a job?
(a) The Children's Services Office.
(b) The Motor Vehicle Registration Office.
(c) A lumberyard.
15. The mention of Robbie's babysitter, ___________________, breaks the composure of Robbie and his mother.
(a) Miss Clark.
(b) Mrs. Jenkins.
(c) Mrs. Sheridan.
(d) Mrs. Ritenour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a topic Howard puts in his letter to Alice?
2. Theresa faults her relatives for ________________________.
3. Who is the first potential buyer to look at Howard's farm?
4. Rafferty wants Alice to behave like which actress while in court?
5. Where do Howard and the girls find a place to live?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)