|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Alice so sad about the loss of the farm?
(a) It is where her girls were born.
(b) It is the only place she ever felt safe.
(c) It is her family home.
(d) She had had plans to fix it up.
2. Who is the real estate agent who comes to view Howard's farm?
(a) Sandy Brickman.
(b) Joanne Grieshop.
(c) Alice Meyerson.
(d) Betty Sanderson.
3. Where does Howard get a job?
(a) The Motor Vehicle Registration Office.
(b) The Children's Services Office.
(d) A lumberyard.
4. Which of the following is NOT something about court that Theresa compares to religion?
(a) There is an awful silence.
(b) There is a strict ritual.
(c) There is a lot of waiting.
(d) There is a lot of praying.
5. Alice's trial is set for which month?
6. Which of the following is NOT a topic Howard puts in his letter to Alice?
(a) They are blackballed by babysitters.
(b) He is in love with Theresa.
(c) He wants to sell the farm.
(d) Emma cannot start kindergarten.
7. What does Alice note about a bride she sees on the street?
(a) She has missing teeth.
(b) She is very tall.
(c) She is radiant.
(d) She looks sad.
8. What is notable about Alice's face when she sees the girls?
(a) It is joyful.
(b) It is pale.
(c) It is sad.
(d) It is bruised.
9. What is Howard's state of mind in this section?
10. What is Alice wearing when she sees the girls?
(a) Pink slippers.
(b) Green jumpsuit.
(c) A pink bracelet.
(d) A pink bandana.
11. Howard meditates on the impact of personality in history and cites Mikhail Gorbachev and __________________.
(a) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) Margaret Thatcher.
(d) Richard Nixon.
12. What does Alice hear a lot while in jail?
(a) Racial insults.
13. Who is Alice's cell mate?
(a) Dana Myers.
(b) Debbie Clark.
(c) Dolores Sanchez.
(d) Dee Dee Morton.
14. Rafferty wants Alice to behave like which actress while in court?
(a) Lauren Bacall.
(b) Glenn Close.
(c) Audrey Hepburn.
(d) Meryl Streep.
15. In what religion did Theresa grow up?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Alice's cell mate?
2. What does the judge order both sides in the trial to avoid mentioning?
3. Where do Howard, Alice and the girls stop on the way home from jail?
4. Who is one of the few adults, other than Theresa, who has spoken to Howard this summer?
5. In what city is Alice in jail?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)