|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the girls want to live if Alice does not get out of jail?
(a) With Theresa.
(b) With Miss Bowman.
(c) With Nellie.
(d) With Howard.
2. Where do Howard, Alice and the girls stop on the way home from jail?
(d) A park.
3. With what natural disaster is Howard dealing during this time?
(a) Rainy season.
4. Howard refers to The Gettysburg Address which was written by whom?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
5. Who helps Howard with the girls and provides dinner in the evenings?
(c) Miss Bowman.
6. In what city is Alice in jail?
7. Alice does NOT suffer a huge lack of __________ while in jail.
8. To what television program does Howard refer when discussing legal matters?
(a) CSI: Miami.
(b) Law & Order.
(c) Perry Mason.
(d) Barney Miller.
9. What does Dan do to avoid thinking about Lizzy?
10. Alice likens jail to ________________________.
(a) A bad college dorm.
(b) A summer camp she did not want to attend.
(c) Summer School.
(d) Trick or Treating.
11. Why is Alice so sad about the loss of the farm?
(a) It is her family home.
(b) It is the only place she ever felt safe.
(c) It is where her girls were born.
(d) She had had plans to fix it up.
12. Howard recalls that his father threatened to _______________ if he got a woman pregnant.
(a) Disown him.
(b) Report him.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Kick him out.
13. Rafferty wants Alice to behave like which actress while in court?
(a) Glenn Close.
(b) Meryl Streep.
(c) Lauren Bacall.
(d) Audrey Hepburn.
14. Where does Theresa ask Alice to go with her?
(a) To a concert.
(b) To the mall.
(c) To lunch.
(d) To a museum.
15. Which of the following is NOT a topic Howard puts in his letter to Alice?
(a) He is in love with Theresa.
(b) They are blackballed by babysitters.
(c) Emma cannot start kindergarten.
(d) He wants to sell the farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which Biblical person does Alice liken herself?
2. Who is one of the few adults, other than Theresa, who has spoken to Howard this summer?
3. Where is Emma now reluctant to go?
4. Howard and the girls move into a townhouse at _____________________.
5. What is notable about Alice's face when she sees the girls?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)