|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way will the new political party differ from the old parties, according to Maxwell?
2. What surprising individual backs the new political party in Chapter 8?
3. What book does Odili think influenced Edna's letter?
4. Of what is Hezekiah convinced at the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. How has Odili's view towards Edna changed by the start of Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The CPC announces that it must avoid being branded communist. Why does it want to avoid such? What ideals does it nonetheless hold? What names are mentioned in members' conversations? Do such ideals seem a practical resolution to the problems facing Nigeria? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As part of the political corruption in the story, there is a strong irony in some of the governmental appointments. For example, Chief Nanga is the Minister of Culture and yet does not even know one of the country's most famous authors, nor can he remember the title of his song. Are there any other ironic governmental appointments in the story? What does this reveal about the manner of ministerial appointment in the country? What does this irony help accomplish in the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
As the chief protagonist and narrator of the story, Odili undergoes dramatic changes throughout the narrative, but as he is the one describing them, he does not explicitly state them. Trace the outline of Odili's character development and changes, being sure to answer the following questions:
1) In what regard does Odili primarily change?
2) In what ways does Odili seem to change, but ONLY seem?
3) What other characters and events have the biggest influence on Odili's changes?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)