|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Hezekiah convinced at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. With whom does the PAP reveal that the Minister of Foreign Trade has been illegitimately making a profit?
3. Why has the crowd gathered in Anata when Odili returns from Bori?
4. Against whom does Odili announce his candidacy?
5. Why will Mrs. Nanga not accompany her husband to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what conclusion does Odili arrive after reflecting on the carpenter Timothy's statement?
2. What characterizes Odili's interaction with Chief Nanga at the Samalu house?
3. What is significant about Odili and Edna's bicycle crash?
4. What characterizes Odili's arrival at his friend Maxwell's apartment?
5. What is revealed about Edna's character in the scene on the VIP porch?
6. What seems to be the likely reason that Edna becomes angry with Odili in Chapter 12?
7. What significant action does Edna take toward Odili at the end of Chapter 10, and why is it significant?
8. What is the significance of the poem Maxwell wrote seven years ago?
9. What worries Odili about owning a car and having a position of some prestige?
10. What is suggested by the revelation that a junior member of Parliament is also a founding member of the CPC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, it is unveiled that starting a democracy is a difficult process. Analyze these difficulties as they are presented in the text. Are they due largely to a lack of education? Of what kind of education? Are there any good suggestions as to how to fix the problems in the country?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the resolution of the story. Does it seem just for a military coup to overthrow the government? What are the motives of the military? What does this say about justice and politics? How is the future of Nigeria portrayed in "A Man of the People"?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story, it is said that Maxwell Kulamo is a martyr. Analyze this statement. For what was he a martyr? How does his martyrdom advance this cause? Other than his death, what other events in the story reaffirm his status as a martyr?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)