Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hezekiah is arrested, what do the trucks take away?
2. Who arrives at the Samalu house the day after Odili meets with Chief Nanga?
3. With whom does Odili, in his letter, say Edna can satisfy herself with if Chief Nanga is unable?
4. Where is Edna's mother when Odili first arrives at her house?
5. What does Odili hope to accomplish through his political activities?
Essay Topic 1
"A Man of the People" follows a common literary structure in which the action of the story moves one direction for the first half and then undergoes a reversal. Examine how this literary structure of plot parallels the development of the characters, as well as how it is essential to exposing the story's conflict, man vs. political corruption.
Essay Topic 2
As the chief protagonist and narrator of the story, Odili undergoes dramatic changes throughout the narrative, but as he is the one describing them, he does not explicitly state them. Trace the outline of Odili's character development and changes, being sure to answer the following questions:
1) In what regard does Odili primarily change?
2) In what ways does Odili seem to change, but ONLY seem?
3) What other characters and events have the biggest influence on Odili's changes?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the resolution of the story. Does it seem just for a military coup to overthrow the government? What are the motives of the military? What does this say about justice and politics? How is the future of Nigeria portrayed in "A Man of the People"?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)