|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the political party formed in Chapter 8?
2. When Odili returns to Anata after first meeting Maxwell and his friends, where does he find a large crowd?
3. After the political turmoil begins, with how much money does Odili return to Anata?
4. Why does Mrs. Nanga feel pity for Edna?
5. With what weapon does Odo threaten Odili on his visit to Edna's house in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Odili react to discovering that Elsie is sleeping with Chief Nanga?
2. What characterizes Odili's interaction with Chief Nanga at the Samalu house?
3. What seems to be the likely reason that Edna becomes angry with Odili in Chapter 12?
4. What is the confusion about why Couple is put in jail?
5. What is the general tone of Mrs. Nanga in her first conversation with Odili's while in Anata, and why is that the tone?
6. What is revealed about Edna's character in the scene on the VIP porch?
7. What characterizes Odili's arrival at his friend Maxwell's apartment?
8. What significant action does Edna take toward Odili at the end of Chapter 10, and why is it significant?
9. Describe the first impression given of Odo, Edna's father.
10. What sort of abuses of power does Chief Nanga exercise in his campaign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A subtle theme in "A Man of the People" is the disparity in sexual equality throughout Nigerian society. How are women portrayed as less important throughout the story? How is this status quo challenged? What female character embodies resignation to this standard, and what character challenges it? How is this shown in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The CPC announces that it must avoid being branded communist. Why does it want to avoid such? What ideals does it nonetheless hold? What names are mentioned in members' conversations? Do such ideals seem a practical resolution to the problems facing Nigeria? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
During Maxwell's impressive but inefficacious speech, it is revealed that the people have a certain resignation as to the greater affairs of state. Analyze this resignation: how it came about, why it persists, and what implications it has for the country within the story.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)