|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way will the new political party differ from the old parties, according to Maxwell?
2. Why does Odili praise Edna's beauty and memory in English?
3. Why will Mrs. Nanga not accompany her husband to the United States?
4. When does Odili feel the full weight of his humiliation?
5. What does Odili do after awaking at 4 a.m.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characterizes Odili's interaction with Chief Nanga at the Samalu house?
2. What worries Odili about owning a car and having a position of some prestige?
3. What is suggested by the revelation that a junior member of Parliament is also a founding member of the CPC?
4. Describe the situation with Chief Nanga and the editor of the Daily Matchet, including its significance.
5. How does Odili interpret Edna's letter?
6. What significant action does Edna take toward Odili at the end of Chapter 10, and why is it significant?
7. What is Odili's concern about the founding of the new political party?
8. What characterizes Odili's arrival at his friend Maxwell's apartment?
9. What seems to be the likely reason that Edna becomes angry with Odili in Chapter 12?
10. Why do Boniface and the other bodyguards want 25 pounds, and why does Odili object?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Chapter 3, Odili briefly reflects on the selfishness of the new government in hoarding the leftover riches and treasures of the British government. Some critics, he states, think that because these individuals have so quickly risen to affluence, they would be more willing to give it up quickly. Why is this critical statement entirely untrue? What is it about human nature that makes people less willing to give up that which they have just received? How is this demonstrated through actions in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Maxwell Kulamo. How does Odili portray him? Is Odili's portrayal of Maxwell fair or biased? What do Maxwell's actions reveal about his person? In what ways is Maxwell significant to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Present an analysis of Chief Nanga. Discuss his rise to power, his personalit, and his interactions with other characters. How does he treat others? How does he maintain his political position until the coup? Be sure to contrast the opinions of the educated and the uneducated regarding Chief Nanga.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)