|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many floors does Chief Nanga's new house have?
2. Why does Mrs. Nanga feel pity for Edna?
3. Who arrives at the Samalu house the day after Odili meets with Chief Nanga?
4. Where do Chief Nanga, Odili and Hezekiah meet?
5. On what date does Odili return to Anata after first meeting with Maxwell and his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the poem Maxwell wrote seven years ago?
2. What is the confusion about why Couple is put in jail?
3. What is Odili's concern about the founding of the new political party?
4. What seems to be the likely reason that Edna becomes angry with Odili in Chapter 12?
5. What is suggested by the revelation that a junior member of Parliament is also a founding member of the CPC?
6. What is the method of problem solving that Odili unconsciously employs while reconsidering his humiliation that occurred at the house of Chief Nanga?
7. What is significant about Odili and Edna's bicycle crash?
8. In Chapter 10, how does Chief Nanga further expose his corruption regarding the office of Foreign Trade?
9. What characterizes Odili's arrival at his friend Maxwell's apartment?
10. What sort of reception does Odili's political campaign receive in Anata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present an analysis of Chief Nanga. Discuss his rise to power, his personalit, and his interactions with other characters. How does he treat others? How does he maintain his political position until the coup? Be sure to contrast the opinions of the educated and the uneducated regarding Chief Nanga.
Essay Topic 2
The CPC announces that it must avoid being branded communist. Why does it want to avoid such? What ideals does it nonetheless hold? What names are mentioned in members' conversations? Do such ideals seem a practical resolution to the problems facing Nigeria? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Alone of all the political characters in the story, Odili rejects every sort of political corruption. Explicate and analyze this severe contrast between the absolute idealism of Odili, the absolute corruption and self-interest of Chief Nanga, and the practical abuse of corrupt individuals by Maxwell. Who is the most morally persuasive of the characters, and why?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)