|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is called the third vulture?
2. How does Odili manage to talk to Edna alone in Chapter 9?
3. Why will Odili not retrieve Elsie in front of Chief Nanga?
4. For what does the radio announce Hezekiah was removed as local POP chairman?
5. How much money does Maxwell say the POP has received from British Amalgamated?
Essay Topic 1
In "A Man of the People," the love that blooms between Odili and Edna transforms both their lives. Analyze this theme. How does it develop? What actions create the changes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Maxwell Kulamo. How does Odili portray him? Is Odili's portrayal of Maxwell fair or biased? What do Maxwell's actions reveal about his person? In what ways is Maxwell significant to the story?
Essay Topic 3
As the chief protagonist and narrator of the story, Odili undergoes dramatic changes throughout the narrative, but as he is the one describing them, he does not explicitly state them. Trace the outline of Odili's character development and changes, being sure to answer the following questions:
1) In what regard does Odili primarily change?
2) In what ways does Odili seem to change, but ONLY seem?
3) What other characters and events have the biggest influence on Odili's changes?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)