Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hezekiah is arrested, what do the trucks take away?
2. Who arrives at the Samalu house the day after Odili meets with Chief Nanga?
3. With whom does Odili, in his letter, say Edna can satisfy herself with if Chief Nanga is unable?
4. Where is Edna's mother when Odili first arrives at her house?
5. What does Odili hope to accomplish through his political activities?
Discuss the central importance of Edna to the story. Analyze how she helps change Odili, her struggle as a woman in a man's society, and how her personality traits influence her actions.
Analyze the resolution of the story. Does it seem just for a military coup to overthrow the government? What are the motives of the military? What does this say about justice and politics? How is the future of Nigeria portrayed in "A Man of the People"?
As part of the political corruption in the story, there is a strong irony in some of the governmental appointments. For example, Chief Nanga is the Minister of Culture and yet does not even know one of the country's most famous authors, nor can he remember the title of his song. Are there any other ironic governmental appointments in the story? What does this reveal about the manner of ministerial appointment in the country? What does this irony help accomplish in the plot of the story?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)