|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chief Nanga say he is offering Odili a bribe?
2. Of Odili, Chief Nanga, and Elsie, who goes to bed first after dinner at Chief Nanga's house?
3. Who heckles Maxwell during his speech in Chapter 12?
4. What does Edna bring Odili to drink on the sun porch?
5. Why is Azoge's stick important to Josiah?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, how does Chief Nanga further expose his corruption regarding the office of Foreign Trade?
2. What sort of reception does Odili's political campaign receive in Anata?
3. What characterizes Odili's interaction with Chief Nanga at the Samalu house?
4. Describe the situation with Chief Nanga and the editor of the Daily Matchet, including its significance.
5. What is suggested by the revelation that a junior member of Parliament is also a founding member of the CPC?
6. What is significant about Odili and Edna's bicycle crash?
7. What characterizes Odili's arrival at his friend Maxwell's apartment?
8. What is the general tone of Mrs. Nanga in her first conversation with Odili's while in Anata, and why is that the tone?
9. What worries Odili about owning a car and having a position of some prestige?
10. What is the confusion about why Couple is put in jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The CPC announces that it must avoid being branded communist. Why does it want to avoid such? What ideals does it nonetheless hold? What names are mentioned in members' conversations? Do such ideals seem a practical resolution to the problems facing Nigeria? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The major theme of "A Man of the People" is the struggle of man against political corruption. Which characters embody corruption? Which characters embody the struggle against corruption? In what ways do the struggling characters fail, and how do the exemplars of corruption ultimately falter?
Essay Topic 3
"A Man of the People" follows a common literary structure in which the action of the story moves one direction for the first half and then undergoes a reversal. Examine how this literary structure of plot parallels the development of the characters, as well as how it is essential to exposing the story's conflict, man vs. political corruption.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)