|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the immediate task of the new party in Chapter 8?
2. How does Odili manage to talk to Edna alone in Chapter 9?
3. What is Odili disappointed to find out about Maxwell at the Samalu house after the launching of the local campaign?
4. Who gives Odili directions to Edna's house?
5. How many floors does Chief Nanga's new house have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Odili's concern about the founding of the new political party?
2. At what conclusion does Odili arrive after reflecting on the carpenter Timothy's statement?
3. What seems to be the likely reason that Edna becomes angry with Odili in Chapter 12?
4. What is significant about Odili and Edna's bicycle crash?
5. Describe the first impression given of Odo, Edna's father.
6. How does Odili interpret Edna's letter?
7. What is the general tone of Mrs. Nanga in her first conversation with Odili's while in Anata, and why is that the tone?
8. What is revealed about Edna's character in the scene on the VIP porch?
9. What sort of reception does Odili's political campaign receive in Anata?
10. What characterizes Odili's interaction with Chief Nanga at the Samalu house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Maxwell Kulamo. How does Odili portray him? Is Odili's portrayal of Maxwell fair or biased? What do Maxwell's actions reveal about his person? In what ways is Maxwell significant to the story?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter 3, Odili briefly reflects on the selfishness of the new government in hoarding the leftover riches and treasures of the British government. Some critics, he states, think that because these individuals have so quickly risen to affluence, they would be more willing to give it up quickly. Why is this critical statement entirely untrue? What is it about human nature that makes people less willing to give up that which they have just received? How is this demonstrated through actions in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Present an analysis of Chief Nanga. Discuss his rise to power, his personalit, and his interactions with other characters. How does he treat others? How does he maintain his political position until the coup? Be sure to contrast the opinions of the educated and the uneducated regarding Chief Nanga.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)