|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals, after leaving the Odo house, ruin Odili's plan involving Edna?
2. With whom does the PAP reveal that the Minister of Foreign Trade has been illegitimately making a profit?
3. What is the immediate task of the new party in Chapter 8?
4. Who arrives at the Samalu house the day after Odili meets with Chief Nanga?
5. With what weapon does Odo threaten Odili on his visit to Edna's house in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characterizes Odili's interaction with Chief Nanga at the Samalu house?
2. At what conclusion does Odili arrive after reflecting on the carpenter Timothy's statement?
3. How does Odili initially interpret Chief Nanga's order to move Elsie's bags into his absent wife's room?
4. Why do Boniface and the other bodyguards want 25 pounds, and why does Odili object?
5. Describe the situation with Chief Nanga and the editor of the Daily Matchet, including its significance.
6. What is Odili's concern about the founding of the new political party?
7. What seems to be the likely reason that Edna becomes angry with Odili in Chapter 12?
8. In Chapter 10, how does Chief Nanga further expose his corruption regarding the office of Foreign Trade?
9. What is the confusion about why Couple is put in jail?
10. What is suggested by the revelation that a junior member of Parliament is also a founding member of the CPC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Chapter 3, Odili briefly reflects on the selfishness of the new government in hoarding the leftover riches and treasures of the British government. Some critics, he states, think that because these individuals have so quickly risen to affluence, they would be more willing to give it up quickly. Why is this critical statement entirely untrue? What is it about human nature that makes people less willing to give up that which they have just received? How is this demonstrated through actions in the story?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, it is said that Maxwell Kulamo is a martyr. Analyze this statement. For what was he a martyr? How does his martyrdom advance this cause? Other than his death, what other events in the story reaffirm his status as a martyr?
Essay Topic 3
The CPC announces that it must avoid being branded communist. Why does it want to avoid such? What ideals does it nonetheless hold? What names are mentioned in members' conversations? Do such ideals seem a practical resolution to the problems facing Nigeria? Why or why not?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)