|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Odili directions to Edna's house?
2. Why will Odili not retrieve Elsie in front of Chief Nanga?
3. Why does Chief Nanga say he is offering Odili a bribe?
4. Of Odili, Chief Nanga, and Elsie, who goes to bed first after dinner at Chief Nanga's house?
5. Which two men ask Chief Nanga for a copy of his speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characterizes Odili's interaction with Chief Nanga at the Samalu house?
2. Why is Couple's heckling of Maxwell effective?
3. How does Odili initially interpret Chief Nanga's order to move Elsie's bags into his absent wife's room?
4. How does Odili react to discovering that Elsie is sleeping with Chief Nanga?
5. What sort of abuses of power does Chief Nanga exercise in his campaign?
6. How does Odili interpret Edna's letter?
7. Describe the situation with Chief Nanga and the editor of the Daily Matchet, including its significance.
8. In Chapter 10, how does Chief Nanga further expose his corruption regarding the office of Foreign Trade?
9. Describe the first impression given of Odo, Edna's father.
10. What characterizes Odili's arrival at his friend Maxwell's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the resolution of the story. Does it seem just for a military coup to overthrow the government? What are the motives of the military? What does this say about justice and politics? How is the future of Nigeria portrayed in "A Man of the People"?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter 3, Odili briefly reflects on the selfishness of the new government in hoarding the leftover riches and treasures of the British government. Some critics, he states, think that because these individuals have so quickly risen to affluence, they would be more willing to give it up quickly. Why is this critical statement entirely untrue? What is it about human nature that makes people less willing to give up that which they have just received? How is this demonstrated through actions in the story?
Essay Topic 3
In "A Man of the People," the love that blooms between Odili and Edna transforms both their lives. Analyze this theme. How does it develop? What actions create the changes?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)