|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people treat Josiah after the incident at the bar?
2. With what weapon does Odo threaten Odili on his visit to Edna's house in Chapter 10?
3. What does Edna bring Odili to drink on the sun porch?
4. How does Edna react to seeing Odili after the launching of the campaign?
5. Why will Odili not retrieve Elsie in front of Chief Nanga?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the poem Maxwell wrote seven years ago?
2. What is the general tone of Mrs. Nanga in her first conversation with Odili's while in Anata, and why is that the tone?
3. Why do Boniface and the other bodyguards want 25 pounds, and why does Odili object?
4. What is Odili's concern about the founding of the new political party?
5. What is the method of problem solving that Odili unconsciously employs while reconsidering his humiliation that occurred at the house of Chief Nanga?
6. What is significant about Odili and Edna's bicycle crash?
7. How does Odili react to discovering that Elsie is sleeping with Chief Nanga?
8. What characterizes Odili's arrival at his friend Maxwell's apartment?
9. What is the confusion about why Couple is put in jail?
10. How does Odili interpret Edna's letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Maxwell's impressive but inefficacious speech, it is revealed that the people have a certain resignation as to the greater affairs of state. Analyze this resignation: how it came about, why it persists, and what implications it has for the country within the story.
Essay Topic 2
Present an analysis of Chief Nanga. Discuss his rise to power, his personalit, and his interactions with other characters. How does he treat others? How does he maintain his political position until the coup? Be sure to contrast the opinions of the educated and the uneducated regarding Chief Nanga.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the central importance of Edna to the story. Analyze how she helps change Odili, her struggle as a woman in a man's society, and how her personality traits influence her actions.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)