|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Odili initially plan on getting his revenge?
2. For what does the radio announce Hezekiah was removed as local POP chairman?
3. For what does PIV. stand?
4. Who is called the third vulture?
5. What is the title of the poem Maxwell shows Odili?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Edna's character in the scene on the VIP porch?
2. How does Odili interpret Edna's letter?
3. What is the confusion about why Couple is put in jail?
4. In Chapter 10, how does Chief Nanga further expose his corruption regarding the office of Foreign Trade?
5. Why is Couple's heckling of Maxwell effective?
6. How does Odili initially interpret Chief Nanga's order to move Elsie's bags into his absent wife's room?
7. Why do Boniface and the other bodyguards want 25 pounds, and why does Odili object?
8. What seems to be the likely reason that Edna becomes angry with Odili in Chapter 12?
9. How does Odili react to discovering that Elsie is sleeping with Chief Nanga?
10. What is significant about Odili and Edna's bicycle crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "A Man of the People," the love that blooms between Odili and Edna transforms both their lives. Analyze this theme. How does it develop? What actions create the changes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the central importance of Edna to the story. Analyze how she helps change Odili, her struggle as a woman in a man's society, and how her personality traits influence her actions.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, it is unveiled that starting a democracy is a difficult process. Analyze these difficulties as they are presented in the text. Are they due largely to a lack of education? Of what kind of education? Are there any good suggestions as to how to fix the problems in the country?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)