|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the chief complaint of the Prime Minister against his dismissed Cabinet members?
2. Which of Odili's colleagues visited England?
3. What food does Odili initially ask Peter to cook while Andrew Kadibe is visiting?
4. Why does the girl in Chief Nanga's best story refuse to remove her bra?
5. Who arrives at Chief Nanga's house at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Odili describe his reaction to being a prominent member of the dinner conversation?
2. Why does Chief Nanga remember Odili?
3. What attitudes do the foreigners at the dinner conversation seem to have toward Africa, and how do they demonstrate such?
4. Why is Odili's father hated?
5. How did Odili deal with his previous encounters with bucket latrines?
6. What impression does Odili convey in his description of Chief Nanga's library?
7. Upon what does Odili reflect while lying in the bed of his guest suite at Chief Nanga's house?
8. How is the media portrayed by Odili?
9. What two admirable qualities does Chief Nanga demonstrate in Chapter 1, and how?
10. How does Odili describe the way Jean acts toward Chief Nanga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What start as separate, if related, threads in the story -- revenge, politics and love -- become entangled in Odili's life. Discuss the entanglement of these various threads and explain how an action toward any one goal ends up affecting the others.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the central importance of Edna to the story. Analyze how she helps change Odili, her struggle as a woman in a man's society, and how her personality traits influence her actions.
Essay Topic 3
As the chief protagonist and narrator of the story, Odili undergoes dramatic changes throughout the narrative, but as he is the one describing them, he does not explicitly state them. Trace the outline of Odili's character development and changes, being sure to answer the following questions:
1) In what regard does Odili primarily change?
2) In what ways does Odili seem to change, but ONLY seem?
3) What other characters and events have the biggest influence on Odili's changes?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)