|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of buses does Chief Nanga purchase?
2. How does Odili state his view of Elsie to Chief Nanga?
3. What is Chief Nanga described as wearing when he exits his Cadillac at the school?
4. How long has it been since Odili last spoke with Chief Nanga?
5. From where is Chief Nanga's second wife-to-be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Push me down and take my threepence!" become a popular Anata joke?
2. How do Odili and Elsie meet?
3. What series of events leads up to Odili's disillusionment with the POP.?
4. What two admirable qualities does Chief Nanga demonstrate in Chapter 1, and how?
5. What is unusual about Mrs. Akilo and Chief Nanga's affair?
6. Why does Chief Nanga remember Odili?
7. What odd contrast is revealed in Chapter 4 by Chief Nanga's interactions with Chief Kobino and the young man applying to be a chef?
8. What is ironic about Chief Koko's reaction to drinking OHMS?
9. In what way does Jean primarily reveal her insensitivity towards Nigeria and Nigerians?
10. Why is Odili concerned when Chief Nanga voices his intention to go to the hospital with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the chief protagonist and narrator of the story, Odili undergoes dramatic changes throughout the narrative, but as he is the one describing them, he does not explicitly state them. Trace the outline of Odili's character development and changes, being sure to answer the following questions:
1) In what regard does Odili primarily change?
2) In what ways does Odili seem to change, but ONLY seem?
3) What other characters and events have the biggest influence on Odili's changes?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, it is unveiled that starting a democracy is a difficult process. Analyze these difficulties as they are presented in the text. Are they due largely to a lack of education? Of what kind of education? Are there any good suggestions as to how to fix the problems in the country?
Essay Topic 3
Parallel to the story and Odili's sudden turn, Chief Nanga and Maxwell Kulamo both exercise significant influence over the activities and thinking of Odili. Compare and contrast the two political leaders. How are they alike? How do they differ? How does each influence Odili? What makes them good politicians?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)