Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Odili notice in the crowd at the Writer's Society's hall?
2. Where do Odili and Jean go after leaving Jean's house?
3. What detail about one man's robes in Chapter 6 most catches Odili's attention?
4. How many wives does Odili's father have?
5. What is John's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes it possible for Odili to marry Edna?
2. What does Odili wish the people could see about Chief Nanga?
3. What is Odili's perception of Chief Nanga's concerns?
4. Why is Odili surprised to be awakened early by Chief Nanga after his first night at the Minister of Culture's house?
5. Describe the first impression given of Odo, Edna's father.
6. What sort of abuses of power does Chief Nanga exercise in his campaign?
7. At what conclusion does Odili arrive after reflecting on the carpenter Timothy's statement?
8. Why does Chief Nanga scorn his old nickname, "M.A. Minus Opportunity"?
9. What is unusual about Mrs. Akilo and Chief Nanga's affair?
10. What two admirable qualities does Chief Nanga demonstrate in Chapter 1, and how?
At the end of the story, it is said that Maxwell Kulamo is a martyr. Analyze this statement. For what was he a martyr? How does his martyrdom advance this cause? Other than his death, what other events in the story reaffirm his status as a martyr?
Analyze the character of Maxwell Kulamo. How does Odili portray him? Is Odili's portrayal of Maxwell fair or biased? What do Maxwell's actions reveal about his person? In what ways is Maxwell significant to the story?
A subtle theme in "A Man of the People" is the disparity in sexual equality throughout Nigerian society. How are women portrayed as less important throughout the story? How is this status quo challenged? What female character embodies resignation to this standard, and what character challenges it? How is this shown in the story?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)