|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean interpret as a sign of lust?
2. When do Jean and Odili leave Jean's house?
3. Where does Odili go after Chief Nanga's important guest in Chapter 5 arrives?
4. How does Odili state his view of Elsie to Chief Nanga?
5. What does Odili ultimately think of Jean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Mrs. Akilo and Chief Nanga's affair?
2. Why is Odili concerned when Chief Nanga voices his intention to go to the hospital with him?
3. On what does Odili focus during Chief Nanga's speech in Chapter 6?
4. In what way does Jean primarily reveal her insensitivity towards Nigeria and Nigerians?
5. What impression does Odili convey in his description of Chief Nanga's library?
6. What two admirable qualities does Chief Nanga demonstrate in Chapter 1, and how?
7. How does Odili describe the way Jean acts toward Chief Nanga?
8. Why is Mrs. Nanga concerned over her children losing their heritage?
9. How does "Push me down and take my threepence!" become a popular Anata joke?
10. Why is Odili's father hated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the central importance of Edna to the story. Analyze how she helps change Odili, her struggle as a woman in a man's society, and how her personality traits influence her actions.
Essay Topic 2
During Maxwell's impressive but inefficacious speech, it is revealed that the people have a certain resignation as to the greater affairs of state. Analyze this resignation: how it came about, why it persists, and what implications it has for the country within the story.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, it is unveiled that starting a democracy is a difficult process. Analyze these difficulties as they are presented in the text. Are they due largely to a lack of education? Of what kind of education? Are there any good suggestions as to how to fix the problems in the country?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)