|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Nanga feel pity for Edna?
(a) Mrs. Nanga was also forced into marriage rather than continue her education.
(b) Mrs. Nanga knows Edna will not be happy living in Bori.
(c) Chief Nanga intends to use Edna for bearing many children.
(d) Edna is ignorant of how cruel Chief Nanga can be to his wives.
2. Where is Edna's mother when Odili first arrives at her house?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The church.
(c) The bedroom.
3. Why does Chief Nanga say he is offering Odili a bribe?
(a) Chief Nanga is frightened that Odili is making progress in the area.
(b) Chief Nanga feels he deserves to be elected unopposed.
(c) Chief Nanga wants Odili to come work for him.
(d) Chief Nanga wants Odili to stay away from Edna.
4. How does Odili respond to Chief Nanga's bribe?
(c) "Give me 4,000."
(d) "Give me 600."
5. How do the people treat Josiah after the incident at the bar?
(a) They go in fear of him.
(b) They praise him.
(c) They treat him just the same.
(d) They boycott him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Odili do after awaking at 4 a.m.?
2. Who heckles Maxwell during his speech in Chapter 12?
3. Who is waiting for Odili outside Chief Nanga's house when he returns?
4. What is Hezekiah's chief motivation in politics?
5. Where does Odili go after leaving Chief Nanga's house for the final time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characterizes Odili's interaction with Chief Nanga at the Samalu house?
2. What significant action does Edna take toward Odili at the end of Chapter 10, and why is it significant?
3. Describe the first impression given of Odo, Edna's father.
4. What is the significance of the poem Maxwell wrote seven years ago?
5. What is the method of problem solving that Odili unconsciously employs while reconsidering his humiliation that occurred at the house of Chief Nanga?
6. At what conclusion does Odili arrive after reflecting on the carpenter Timothy's statement?
7. How does Odili react to discovering that Elsie is sleeping with Chief Nanga?
8. How does Odili initially interpret Chief Nanga's order to move Elsie's bags into his absent wife's room?
9. What seems to be the likely reason that Edna becomes angry with Odili in Chapter 12?
10. What characterizes Odili's arrival at his friend Maxwell's apartment?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)