|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who bars Odili from the school hall in Anata?
(a) Odo and Josiah.
(b) Principal Nwege.
(c) The Nangavanga.
(d) The military.
2. When Odili returns to Anata after first meeting Maxwell and his friends, where does he find a large crowd?
(a) Outside Josiah's bar.
(b) Outside the grammar school.
(c) Outside his house.
(d) Outside Edna's house.
3. How much does Chief Nanga say Maxwell has taken in bribes?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) 650 pounds.
(c) 4,000 pounds.
(d) 250 pounds.
4. Why does Mrs. Nanga feel pity for Edna?
(a) Edna is ignorant of how cruel Chief Nanga can be to his wives.
(b) Mrs. Nanga was also forced into marriage rather than continue her education.
(c) Chief Nanga intends to use Edna for bearing many children.
(d) Mrs. Nanga knows Edna will not be happy living in Bori.
5. Why does Chief Nanga give the editor rent money in Chapter 7?
(a) They are old friends.
(b) To prevent blackmail.
(c) The editor is Mrs. Nanga's brother.
(d) The chief borrowed money from the editor and owes him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chief Nanga say he is offering Odili a bribe?
2. How much money does Maxwell say the POP has received from British Amalgamated?
3. Who heckles Maxwell during his speech in Chapter 12?
4. What is the name of the political party formed in Chapter 8?
5. How much is the bribe Chief Nanga offers Odili?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of abuses of power does Chief Nanga exercise in his campaign?
2. How does Odili react to discovering that Elsie is sleeping with Chief Nanga?
3. What is significant about Odili and Edna's bicycle crash?
4. What is Odili's concern about the founding of the new political party?
5. How does Odili interpret Edna's letter?
6. Describe the situation with Chief Nanga and the editor of the Daily Matchet, including its significance.
7. What is the significance of the poem Maxwell wrote seven years ago?
8. What worries Odili about owning a car and having a position of some prestige?
9. Describe the first impression given of Odo, Edna's father.
10. Why do Boniface and the other bodyguards want 25 pounds, and why does Odili object?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)