|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Maxwell say the POP has received from British Amalgamated?
(a) 75,000 pounds.
(b) 1,000,000 pounds.
(c) 100,000 pounds.
(d) 400,000 pounds.
2. Why will Odili not retrieve Elsie in front of Chief Nanga?
(a) He cannot get past the gate.
(b) He does not want her to appear promiscuous.
(c) He is embarrassed about his desire for Elsie.
(d) He does not want to offend the chief.
3. Who from Anata offers to join Odili's campaign?
(c) Andrew Kadibe.
4. Who is waiting for Odili outside Chief Nanga's house when he returns?
(a) The police.
(c) Mrs. Nanga.
(d) Chief Nanga.
5. Who arrives at the Samalu house the day after Odili meets with Chief Nanga?
(a) Edna and her mother.
(b) Chief Kobino.
(c) Maxwell and the CPC.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where is the one foreigner present at the founding of the new political party in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Chief Nanga say he is offering Odili a bribe?
3. When Odili returns to Anata after first meeting Maxwell and his friends, where does he find a large crowd?
4. Where does Odili decide to place his headquarters?
5. What is the name of the trade unionist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Edna's character in the scene on the VIP porch?
2. What sort of abuses of power does Chief Nanga exercise in his campaign?
3. How does Odili interpret Edna's letter?
4. What worries Odili about owning a car and having a position of some prestige?
5. How does Odili initially interpret Chief Nanga's order to move Elsie's bags into his absent wife's room?
6. Why is Couple's heckling of Maxwell effective?
7. What is Odili's concern about the founding of the new political party?
8. What seems to be the likely reason that Edna becomes angry with Odili in Chapter 12?
9. What characterizes Odili's arrival at his friend Maxwell's apartment?
10. What is the significance of the poem Maxwell wrote seven years ago?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)