|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Odili finds Elsie's friend at the hospital -- intended for Chief Nanga -- to be:
(a) Less attractive.
(b) More attractive.
(c) Too old.
(d) Too fat.
2. What does Chief Nanga say a man ought to do if someone offers to make him a minister?
(a) Run away.
(b) Accept immediately.
(c) Think about it long and hard.
(d) Slap him in the face.
3. What is John's most interesting claim about the his country?
(a) It has not conquered other countries despite having the power to do so.
(b) It will likely invade Africa soon, to liberate the struggling countries.
(c) It will very likely have an African-American president in the next 10 years.
(d) It has experienced more racially-motivated violence against whites than blacks.
4. What used to be Odili's father's profession?
(a) District interpreter.
(d) Chief of police.
5. What does Chief Nanga think of the president of the Writer's Society's dress?
(a) That it looks too much like the national costume.
(b) That it is wonderful.
(c) That it is ridiculous.
(d) That it needs more shine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 1 opens with Chief Nanga making an address at which school?
2. How many wives does Odili's father have before marrying Odili's mother?
3. What does the statute Odili reads in the newspaper concern?
4. What food does Odili initially ask Peter to cook while Andrew Kadibe is visiting?
5. Why does Odili have his present teaching job instead of a civil-service job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Odili and Elsie meet?
2. How does "Push me down and take my threepence!" become a popular Anata joke?
3. How is the media portrayed by Odili?
4. Describe Odili in his first encounter with Elsie in Chapter 6.
5. What series of events leads up to Odili's disillusionment with the POP.?
6. What odd contrast is revealed in Chapter 4 by Chief Nanga's interactions with Chief Kobino and the young man applying to be a chef?
7. What is unusual about Mrs. Akilo and Chief Nanga's affair?
8. Why is Mrs. Nanga concerned over her children losing their heritage?
9. How did Odili deal with his previous encounters with bucket latrines?
10. Why does Odili envy Peter?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)