|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way will the new political party differ from the old parties, according to Maxwell?
(a) They will have more money.
(b) Their candidates will have better educations and speeches.
(c) They will spend more on the military.
(d) They will operate cleanly.
2. After Hezekiah is arrested, what do the trucks take away?
(a) Part of the Samalu compound.
(b) All of the Samalu furniture.
(c) Pipes for the Rural Water Scheme.
(d) Much of Urua's food supply.
3. For what does PIV. stand?
(a) People's Infantry Vanguard.
(b) Poor Innocent Victim.
(c) Promising Instant Virility.
(d) Protecting Inebriated Victims.
4. What is the title of the poem Maxwell shows Odili?
(a) "The Lady of Shalott."
(b) "Dance-Offering to the Earth-Mother."
(c) "Mother-Earth's Offering to Man."
(d) "Dance of the People of the Earth."
5. From where is the one foreigner present at the founding of the new political party in Chapter 8?
(a) Western Europe.
(b) North America.
(c) South Africa.
(d) Eastern Europe.
6. Where is Edna's mother when Odili first arrives at her house?
(a) The hospital.
(c) The church.
(d) The bedroom.
7. What does Odili hope to accomplish through his political activities?
(a) To unveil how corrupt Chief Nanga is and prevent his return to the Cabinet.
(b) To be named Prime Minister.
(c) To win the election by a landslide and be appointed to the Cabinet.
(d) To win at least great fame for himself, so that he might become powerful.
8. Why is Azoge's stick important to Josiah?
(a) He was beaten with it and wants it broken.
(b) It belonged to his father.
(c) It has a charm against evil spirits and bad fortune.
(d) He wants to use it to make medicine.
9. Who from Anata offers to join Odili's campaign?
(a) Andrew Kadibe.
10. How do the people treat Josiah after the incident at the bar?
(a) They boycott him.
(b) They treat him just the same.
(c) They go in fear of him.
(d) They praise him.
11. How much does Chief Nanga say Maxwell has taken in bribes?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) 4,000 pounds.
(c) 250 pounds.
(d) 650 pounds.
12. What sort of force does Odili state that the paper Maxwell signed has?
(a) Moral force.
(b) Political force.
(c) Legal force.
(d) Ethical force.
13. Why will Mrs. Nanga not accompany her husband to the United States?
(a) Chief Nanga forbids her to go.
(b) She must stay with the children.
(c) She must manage the affairs of state in her husband's absence.
(d) She lacks education.
14. What is Odili disappointed to find out about Maxwell at the Samalu house after the launching of the local campaign?
(a) That he bought himself a car with party money.
(b) That he has decided to break off his engagement with Eunice.
(c) That he paid off the newspapers for good news.
(d) That he has accepted Chief Nanga's bribe.
15. What does Odili do after awaking at 4 a.m.?
(a) Wanders the streets of Bori.
(b) Kicks Elsie out of the house in tears.
(c) Takes the bus back to Anata.
(d) Reads the newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna bring Odili to drink on the sun porch?
2. What is the name of the political party formed in Chapter 8?
3. For what does the radio announce Hezekiah was removed as local POP chairman?
4. How has Odili's view towards Edna changed by the start of Chapter 11?
5. Why does Chief Nanga give the editor rent money in Chapter 7?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)