|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chief Nanga give the editor rent money in Chapter 7?
(a) To prevent blackmail.
(b) The chief borrowed money from the editor and owes him.
(c) The editor is Mrs. Nanga's brother.
(d) They are old friends.
2. What book does Odili think influenced Edna's letter?
(a) "The Complete Loveletter Writer."
(b) "The Song of the Blackbird."
(c) "Speeches: How to Make Them."
(d) "Toasts: How to Make Them."
3. Which two men ask Chief Nanga for a copy of his speech?
(a) Mr. Jalio and Hezekiah Samalu.
(b) The editor of the Daily Chronicle and Mr. Jalio.
(c) The editors of the Daily Machet and the Daily Chronicle.
(d) Mr. Jalio and the editor of the Daily Machet.
4. How many girls does Chief Nanga promise Odili?
5. What is the name of the trade unionist?
6. With what weapon does Odo threaten Odili on his visit to Edna's house in Chapter 10?
(a) A double-barreled gun.
(b) A club.
(c) A machet.
(d) A rusty chain.
7. What is Hezekiah's chief motivation in politics?
(a) Protection of the people.
(b) Advancement of an ideology.
(c) Personal autonomy.
(d) Personal gain.
8. After Hezekiah is arrested, what do the trucks take away?
(a) Much of Urua's food supply.
(b) Part of the Samalu compound.
(c) All of the Samalu furniture.
(d) Pipes for the Rural Water Scheme.
9. In what way will the new political party differ from the old parties, according to Maxwell?
(a) They will operate cleanly.
(b) They will have more money.
(c) Their candidates will have better educations and speeches.
(d) They will spend more on the military.
10. Who bars Odili from the school hall in Anata?
(a) Odo and Josiah.
(b) The Nangavanga.
(c) The military.
(d) Principal Nwege.
11. What is the name of Odili's chief bodyguard?
12. Why is Azoge's stick important to Josiah?
(a) It belonged to his father.
(b) It has a charm against evil spirits and bad fortune.
(c) He was beaten with it and wants it broken.
(d) He wants to use it to make medicine.
13. Where does Odili go after leaving Chief Nanga's house for the final time?
(a) The Daily Chronicle's office.
(b) His house in Anata.
(c) His house in Urua.
(d) Maxwell Kulamo's apartment.
14. Why does Mrs. Nanga feel pity for Edna?
(a) Edna is ignorant of how cruel Chief Nanga can be to his wives.
(b) Chief Nanga intends to use Edna for bearing many children.
(c) Mrs. Nanga was also forced into marriage rather than continue her education.
(d) Mrs. Nanga knows Edna will not be happy living in Bori.
15. When Odili returns to Anata after first meeting Maxwell and his friends, where does he find a large crowd?
(a) Outside Edna's house.
(b) Outside Josiah's bar.
(c) Outside the grammar school.
(d) Outside his house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is called the third vulture?
2. How does Odili initially plan on getting his revenge?
3. Why will Mrs. Nanga not accompany her husband to the United States?
4. How many bodyguards does Odili hire altogether?
5. How much does Chief Nanga say Maxwell has taken in bribes?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)