|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the soloist mentioned in Chapter 1?
(d) Voice box.
2. From where is Chief Nanga's second wife-to-be?
3. Why does Andrew Kadibe think it ridiculous for Chief Nanga to be the Minister of Culture?
(a) Chief Nanga is very poorly educated.
(b) Andrew believes he should be the Minister of Culture.
(c) Chief Nanga is culturally ignorant.
(d) Chief Nanga is insensitive.
4. Odili finds Elsie's friend at the hospital -- intended for Chief Nanga -- to be:
(a) Too old.
(b) Too fat.
(c) More attractive.
(d) Less attractive.
5. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Odili says: "It doesn't matter <i>what</i> you knew, but __________________"
(a) <i>What</i> you didn't know.
(b) <i>Who</i> knew you.
(c) <i>Where</i> you're known.
(d) <i>Who</i> you knew.
6. What, in Chief Nanga's days as a scoutmaster, is considered the "very acme of sophistication"?
(a) Reading English books.
(b) A white sash.
(c) A red dress.
(d) A white helmet.
7. Where in the car does Elsie sit?
(a) By the right door.
(b) Up front.
(c) Between Chief Nanga and Odili.
(d) By the left door.
8. Why does Odili have his present teaching job instead of a civil-service job?
(c) A girl.
9. Who does Odili ask Andrew about after the latter knocks at his door?
(a) Chief Nanga.
(b) Mrs. John.
(c) The girl.
(d) The journalist.
10. What does Chief Nanga's lunchtime conversation concern?
(a) The tarring of a road.
(b) The purchasing of buses from England.
(c) The building of a new school.
(d) Odili's scholarship.
11. What is the title of the president of the Writer's Society's book?
(a) "The Odiliad."
(b) "Africa's Prince."
(c) "The Song of the Black Bird."
(d) "The Freedom of Nigeria."
12. Why does Chief Nanga not hire the young man at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) He has a bad leg.
(b) He has never fired a gun.
(c) He cannot cook African cuisine.
(d) He does not know how to drive a stick shift.
13. What does Chief Nanga do to Principal Nwege after the speech?
(a) Kicks him.
(b) Ignores him.
(c) Praises him.
(d) Flatters him.
14. What sort of event must Chief Nanga attend in Chapter 6?
(a) A meeting at the U.S. Embassy.
(b) A book exhibition.
(c) A Cabinet meeting.
(d) A theater production.
15. What causes Odili's division from his father?
(a) Arguments over his father working for the POP.
(b) Arguments over Odili not working in the city.
(c) Arguments over Odili going to university.
(d) Arguments over his father marrying a fifth wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jean look at Chief Nanga?
2. How does Odili state his view of Elsie to Chief Nanga?
3. What guild causes a stir when it arrives at the Assembly Hall?
4. Who convinces Chief Kobino to delay the construction project between Anata and Giligili for which Chief Nanga is pushing?
5. What is the nickname of Odili's former next-door neighbor in his university days?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)