|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what do Odili and Jean dance?
(a) An American jazz record.
(b) A big-band swing record.
(c) A highlife record.
(d) An African band.
2. What does Odili ultimately think of Jean?
(a) She is insensitive.
(b) She is a bigot.
(c) She is unintelligent.
(d) She is attractive.
3. Who calls while Jean and Odili are making love?
(a) A government official.
(b) John, Jean's husband.
(c) Elsie Jackson.
(d) Chief Nanga.
4. What is the name of the president of the Writer's Society?
(a) Mr. Samalu.
(b) Mr. Jalio.
(c) Mr. Akilo.
(d) Mr. Iganu.
5. Whom does Chief Nanga call when he comes home for lunch?
(a) The Minister of Public Construction.
(b) The Prime Minister.
(c) The Minister for Overseas Training.
(d) The Minister of Foreign Trade.
6. Odili finds Elsie's friend at the hospital -- intended for Chief Nanga -- to be:
(a) Less attractive.
(b) Too old.
(c) More attractive.
(d) Too fat.
7. Why does Odili have his present teaching job instead of a civil-service job?
(d) A girl.
8. From where does Chief Nanga get his bus-investment money?
(a) The Minister of Foreign Trade.
(b) The Coffee Farmers Union.
(c) British Amalgamated.
(d) An increase in taxes.
9. How many pounds does each bus cost?
10. Why does Mrs. Nanga bring the children to Anata?
(a) To retain their heritage.
(b) To educate them.
(c) To visit their relatives.
(d) To celebrate the holidays.
11. What does Jean interpret as a sign of lust?
(a) Narrowed eyes and a slightly opened mouth.
(b) Frequent stretching.
(c) Running the hand through the hair.
12. Where is Odili from?
13. Why has Odili lost his admiration for Chief Nanga?
(a) Chief Nanga defended the dismissed Cabinet members.
(b) Chief Nanga dishonored his own father.
(c) Chief Nanga slept around once he got into power.
(d) Chief Nanga joined in denouncing the dismissed Cabinet members.
14. What, in Chief Nanga's days as a scoutmaster, is considered the "very acme of sophistication"?
(a) A red dress.
(b) A white sash.
(c) Reading English books.
(d) A white helmet.
15. What are the dismissed members of the Prime Minister's Cabinet called in Chapter 1?
(a) The Miscreant Gang.
(b) The Elitists.
(c) The Progressive Alliance Party.
(d) The Daily Chronicle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 1 opens with Chief Nanga making an address at which school?
2. What food does Odili initially ask Peter to cook while Andrew Kadibe is visiting?
3. Why does Jean say sex means more to a woman than a man?
4. Where does Odili go after Chief Nanga's important guest in Chapter 5 arrives?
5. How many children do the Nangas have?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)