|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chief Nanga do to Principal Nwege after the speech?
(a) Flatters him.
(b) Kicks him.
(c) Ignores him.
(d) Praises him.
2. What sort of event must Chief Nanga attend in Chapter 6?
(a) A meeting at the U.S. Embassy.
(b) A book exhibition.
(c) A Cabinet meeting.
(d) A theater production.
3. What does Andrew Kadibe try to sound like when he knocks at Odili's door?
(a) A pig.
(b) An old man.
(c) A girl.
4. Whom does Odili visit at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(d) Mrs. Nanga.
5. What is the name of the president of the Writer's Society?
(a) Mr. Samalu.
(b) Mr. Akilo.
(c) Mr. Jalio.
(d) Mr. Iganu.
6. What misunderstood African gesture does Odili explain to the foreigners?
(a) Shaking the fist.
(b) Mussing up one's hair.
(c) Scrunching up the face.
(d) Touching the forehead with the back of the left hand.
7. How does Odili state his view of Elsie to Chief Nanga?
(a) She is his best friend.
(b) He is serious about her.
(c) She is just a good-time girl.
(d) He intends to marry her.
8. Who resents Odili's favor with Chief Nanga?
(b) Principal Nwege.
(c) Andrew Kadibe.
(d) Mrs. John.
9. Who calls while Jean and Odili are making love?
(a) Chief Nanga.
(b) A government official.
(c) Elsie Jackson.
(d) John, Jean's husband.
10. What used to be Odili's father's profession?
(a) Chief of police.
(d) District interpreter.
11. What is the title of the president of the Writer's Society's book?
(a) "Africa's Prince."
(b) "The Song of the Black Bird."
(c) "The Freedom of Nigeria."
(d) "The Odiliad."
12. Finish the quote said by Odili in Chapter 1: "For what is modesty but ________________?"
(a) Lack of self-consciousness.
(b) Inverted pride.
(c) Great humility.
13. What does Odili ultimately think of Jean?
(a) She is a bigot.
(b) She is unintelligent.
(c) She is attractive.
(d) She is insensitive.
14. When does Odili's mother die?
(a) At childbirth.
(b) She is still alive.
(c) When he was 3.
(d) When he was 1.
15. Whom does Odili notice in the crowd at the Writer's Society's hall?
(a) Principal Nwege.
(b) Andrew Kadibe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter buy for his father?
2. Why does Odili have his present teaching job instead of a civil-service job?
3. How long has it been since Odili last spoke with Chief Nanga?
4. Odili finds Elsie's friend at the hospital -- intended for Chief Nanga -- to be:
5. Where do Odili and Jean go after leaving Jean's house?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)