|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Odili live in Giligili?
(a) His half-sister's family.
(b) His father.
(c) Foster parents.
(d) His uncle.
2. In what regard does John claim his country is improving?
(b) Women's rights.
(c) International affairs.
3. What used to be Odili's father's profession?
(b) District interpreter.
(c) Chief of police.
4. Finish the quote said by Odili in Chapter 1: "For what is modesty but ________________?"
(b) Inverted pride.
(c) Great humility.
(d) Lack of self-consciousness.
5. Who resents Odili's favor with Chief Nanga?
(b) Andrew Kadibe.
(c) Principal Nwege.
(d) Mrs. John.
6. What does Jean interpret as a sign of lust?
(b) Narrowed eyes and a slightly opened mouth.
(c) Frequent stretching.
(d) Running the hand through the hair.
7. What does Peter buy for his father?
(d) A tie.
8. How does Jean look at Chief Nanga?
9. What does Chief Nanga think of the president of the Writer's Society's dress?
(a) That it is wonderful.
(b) That it is ridiculous.
(c) That it looks too much like the national costume.
(d) That it needs more shine.
10. Why does Chief Nanga not hire the young man at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) He cannot cook African cuisine.
(b) He does not know how to drive a stick shift.
(c) He has never fired a gun.
(d) He has a bad leg.
11. For what does the young man apply at Chief Nanga's house at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) To be a cook.
(b) To be a gardener.
(c) To be a security guard.
(d) To be a chauffeur.
12. By what name do Jean and John greet Chief Nanga?
(b) Chief Nanga.
(d) Your Honour.
13. Who calls while Jean and Odili are making love?
(a) Elsie Jackson.
(b) John, Jean's husband.
(c) A government official.
(d) Chief Nanga.
14. What does Odili ultimately think of Jean?
(a) She is unintelligent.
(b) She is a bigot.
(c) She is insensitive.
(d) She is attractive.
15. What was the nighttime entertainment in Giligili?
(a) Killing rats.
(b) Squishing bugs.
(c) Watching the fire burn.
(d) A crazy old man's stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of buses does Chief Nanga purchase?
2. Who does Odili ask Andrew about after the latter knocks at his door?
3. How do the Ministers of Overseas Training and Culture cover up their fear in Chapter 3?
4. What is Chief Nanga described as wearing when he exits his Cadillac at the school?
5. In what year does Odili become disillusioned with the POP?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)