|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where does Chief Nanga invite Odili?
(d) The capital.
2. What is the name of the soloist mentioned in Chapter 1?
(a) Voice box.
3. Who calls while Jean and Odili are making love?
(a) A government official.
(b) Elsie Jackson.
(c) Chief Nanga.
(d) John, Jean's husband.
4. When does Odili's mother die?
(a) She is still alive.
(b) At childbirth.
(c) When he was 1.
(d) When he was 3.
5. Why does Andrew Kadibe think it ridiculous for Chief Nanga to be the Minister of Culture?
(a) Andrew believes he should be the Minister of Culture.
(b) Chief Nanga is culturally ignorant.
(c) Chief Nanga is very poorly educated.
(d) Chief Nanga is insensitive.
6. Whom does Odili visit at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Mrs. Nanga.
7. What does Jean interpret as a sign of lust?
(a) Running the hand through the hair.
(b) Narrowed eyes and a slightly opened mouth.
(c) Frequent stretching.
8. Who convinces Chief Kobino to delay the construction project between Anata and Giligili for which Chief Nanga is pushing?
(b) Chief Nanga.
(c) A young assistant.
(d) The Prime Minister.
9. Chapter 1 opens with Chief Nanga making an address at which school?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) The Urua Elementary School.
(c) The Anata Grammar School.
(d) The University.
10. From what country do Jean and John come?
(a) The United States of America.
11. What does Odili ultimately think of Jean?
(a) She is unintelligent.
(b) She is insensitive.
(c) She is a bigot.
(d) She is attractive.
12. Jokingly, Odili tells his houseboy, Peter, that the government passed a law saying people may only do what two times a day?
(a) Leave their house.
(d) Use the bathroom.
13. What is John's most interesting claim about the his country?
(a) It has experienced more racially-motivated violence against whites than blacks.
(b) It will likely invade Africa soon, to liberate the struggling countries.
(c) It has not conquered other countries despite having the power to do so.
(d) It will very likely have an African-American president in the next 10 years.
14. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Odili says: "It doesn't matter what you knew, but __________________"
(a) What you didn't know.
(b) Who you knew.
(c) Where you're known.
(d) Who knew you.
15. What does Chief Nanga say a man ought to do if someone offers to make him a minister?
(a) Accept immediately.
(b) Think about it long and hard.
(c) Slap him in the face.
(d) Run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Odili ask Andrew about after the latter knocks at his door?
2. What is the title of the president of the Writer's Society's book?
3. When Odili meets the group of foreigners, what initially brings him attention?
4. What is John's job?
5. What does the statute Odili reads in the newspaper concern?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)