|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What specific word spoken by Patsy "struck a chord" in David?
2. What was the name of the operation that the F-117 debuted as?
3. What is the name of the new plane that David is going to work with?
4. Upon his return to his new base, what does David learn Patsy has done?
5. How old is David's youngest brother Kevin when he goes to visit his mother close to his son's first birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patsy lose David's trust completely?
2. What does David promise to Stephen, in his own mind, about going to war?
3. What happens at David's apartment when leaving Patsy to water the plants and feed his turtle?
4. What does David realize when his mother says, "It was an accident?"
5. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
6. What causes David to open up about his past abuse when speaking to troubled kids?
7. Why does Patsy think that David is ready for a new start to their marriage?
8. Why is David so adamant about saving money and not living beyond his means?
9. Why does David's friend David Howard refuse to stand as David's best man?
10. What are David's thoughts as he is performing his first re-fuel on the Blackbird?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast David's grandmother and mother. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do they both treat David? Are there any signs in the novel to explain their behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
David's father's fireman's badge is very important to him. In an essay, discuss the importance of the badge. Why does David's father's badge mean so much to him? What does the badge symbolize? Does the badge symbolize a crutch or a way out?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)