|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first place David and Patsy drive to together?
2. What happened a little less than a month after David and Patsy divorced?
3. Right before leaving his mother's home with his wife and son, what does his mother beg him to do?
4. What does David's mother claim was an accident (during his childhood)?
5. Upon his return to his new base, what does David learn Patsy has done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens a few weeks before Stephen's first birthday?
2. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
3. What does Patsy do for David during their separation that surprises him?
4. What option does the female co-pilot give David as an alternative to getting married?
5. During his first family trip, David goes to see his mother. Why is David shocked by his mother's home?
6. What does David promise to Stephen, in his own mind, about going to war?
7. Why is Patsy so excited about the arrival of their baby?
8. Why is David worried about Katie?
9. What does David realize when his mother says, "It was an accident?"
10. What happens at David's apartment when leaving Patsy to water the plants and feed his turtle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
Essay Topic 2
David searches for answers to his abuse throughout the novel. Discuss David's findings while addressing the following:
-Who tells David about his past?
-What person does David find out the most from?
-What conclusions does David come to about his past from the information he gets?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast David's grandmother and mother. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do they both treat David? Are there any signs in the novel to explain their behaviors?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)