|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term of endearment does Marsha call David after he lets yet another term of endearment slip?
2. During the July of 1990 argument, what does Patsy claim is all David cares about?
3. After Patsy moves in, who does David find out has cancer?
4. According to his mother, why was David always getting in trouble?
5. What happens after David gives a presentation at his old elementary school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David realize when his mother says, "It was an accident?"
2. Describe the mood at the Mexican restaurant when David and Patsy become engaged.
3. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
4. Why is David so adamant about saving money and not living beyond his means?
5. What are a few of the reasons that Patsy is upset with David?
6. Why is David worried about Katie?
7. What option does the female co-pilot give David as an alternative to getting married?
8. What are David's thoughts as he is performing his first re-fuel on the Blackbird?
9. Why does David have such a hard time on the drive home from Utah to Florida?
10. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David's mother always refuses to admit that she abused him as a child. Discuss David's mother's reasoning behind her "discipline." Be sure to address the following questions as part of the essay:
-Why does his mother continue to deny the abuse?
-Why does she admit to stabbing him but only to say it was an accident?
-Does she justify her "discipline?"
-Is there anything from her past that would make her think that she really did not abuse David and that her "discipline" was normal?
Essay Topic 2
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
Essay Topic 3
David searches for answers to his abuse throughout the novel. Discuss David's findings while addressing the following:
-Who tells David about his past?
-What person does David find out the most from?
-What conclusions does David come to about his past from the information he gets?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)