|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David find out was the final straw before his teachers called social services?
2. After Patsy moves in, who does David find out has cancer?
3. What is one of David's greatest anxieties?
4. How old is David's son when he leaves for Saudi Arabia?
5. What operation is David deployed on in 1990?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David promise to Stephen, in his own mind, about going to war?
2. How does David describe Stephen's feelings about his separation from Patsy?
3. Why does David have such a hard time on the drive home from Utah to Florida?
4. How does David's mother explain "It's" behavior?
5. What happens on David's first qualification flight on the Looking Glass?
6. Why is Patsy so excited about the arrival of their baby?
7. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
8. What happens a few weeks before Stephen's first birthday?
9. How does Patsy lose David's trust completely?
10. Why is David so adamant about saving money and not living beyond his means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe David never gives up? There are very specific details in the novel as to why David continues to succeed. Choose one of the textual details and address why that detail allowed David to become the man he has.
Essay Topic 2
David's father's fireman's badge is very important to him. In an essay, discuss the importance of the badge. Why does David's father's badge mean so much to him? What does the badge symbolize? Does the badge symbolize a crutch or a way out?
Essay Topic 3
David is taken advantage of by many people throughout the novel. Examine why you believe David is an easy target. What is it about David that allows people to think that they can walk all over him? What about his personality and physical characteristics create the push-over image?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)