|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the identification call sign David uses when calling to the Blackbird?
2. What does Mr. Zeigler ask David to do after David's presentation at the school?
3. What is one of David's greatest anxieties?
4. What is the nickname the residents at David's apartment complex give him?
5. Where does David get a job doing grounds work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mood at the Mexican restaurant when David and Patsy become engaged.
2. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
3. How does David's mother explain "It's" behavior?
4. What causes David to open up about his past abuse when speaking to troubled kids?
5. What does Patsy do for David during their separation that surprises him?
6. Who does David give the first copies of his book "A Child Called It" to?
7. Why does Patsy think that David is ready for a new start to their marriage?
8. How does Patsy lose David's trust completely?
9. Describe David's relationship with his son Stephen.
10. How does David describe Stephen's feelings about his separation from Patsy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David dreams of the Russian River many times throughout the novel. Explain the importance of the Russian River to David. Why is the this place so important to him? Is it his memories or his planning for the future that fuel his love for the river?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it important for David to write books about his past? Did this help him heal in anyway? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Patsy and Marsha. How are these two women similar? How are they different? Are their differences the reason one relationship survives and one fails? How to they both treat David?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)