|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is David's youngest brother Kevin when he goes to visit his mother close to his son's first birthday?
2. Given how frugally David must live to survive, what does his typical dinner consist of?
3. Where do David and Patsy become engaged at?
4. When does David return from Saudi Arabia?
5. What is the name of the new plane that David is going to work with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David's friend David Howard refuse to stand as David's best man?
2. What does David realize when his mother says, "It was an accident?"
3. Why is David so adamant about saving money and not living beyond his means?
4. How does Patsy lose David's trust completely?
5. Describe David's relationship with his son Stephen.
6. How does David describe Stephen's feelings about his separation from Patsy?
7. What are a few of the reasons that Patsy is upset with David?
8. Describe the mood at the Mexican restaurant when David and Patsy become engaged.
9. What happens at David's apartment when leaving Patsy to water the plants and feed his turtle?
10. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David is taken advantage of by many people throughout the novel. Examine why you believe David is an easy target. What is it about David that allows people to think that they can walk all over him? What about his personality and physical characteristics create the push-over image?
Essay Topic 2
When talking to David about his past abuse, Patsy did not believe him. Discuss why you think Patsy did not believe that David was abused. What about David's personality makes it hard for her to believe that he was abused? Does David possess any signs of being an abused child? If so, why does Patsy fail to recognize these signs?
Essay Topic 3
Describe David's relationship with Patsy. Why does David begin the relationship with Patsy? How does their relationship progress? Is the relationship good for David? For Patsy? Do you believe that the relationship was doomed from the beginning? Why?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)