|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does David return from Saudi Arabia?
2. According to Patsy, what is going to make her life whole?
3. How old is David's youngest brother Kevin when he goes to visit his mother close to his son's first birthday?
4. Right before leaving his mother's home with his wife and son, what does his mother beg him to do?
5. What specific word spoken by Patsy "struck a chord" in David?
Short Essay Questions
1. What option does the female co-pilot give David as an alternative to getting married?
2. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
3. What do David and Stephen do together on Stephen's first two-week stay with David?
4. Why is David worried about Katie?
5. What does Patsy do for David during their separation that surprises him?
6. What happens a few weeks before Stephen's first birthday?
7. Why does David's friend David Howard refuse to stand as David's best man?
8. Why does David have such a hard time on the drive home from Utah to Florida?
9. How does Patsy lose David's trust completely?
10. What causes David to open up about his past abuse when speaking to troubled kids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David feels a lot of inadequacies in his relationships with others. Choose one of the following people from the novel and discuss David's feelings of inadequacy regarding that person. Why does he feel these inadequacies? What fuels these inadequacies for David and the individual chosen? Are the inadequacies played upon by the individual in the relationship with David?
-Stephen (his son)
-Any of his brothers
-David's first manager Jerry
Essay Topic 2
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast David's grandmother and mother. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do they both treat David? Are there any signs in the novel to explain their behaviors?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)