|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does David ask to be his best man?
2. Why does Patsy say that the luncheon she received an award for David at "wasn't all that?"
3. What operation is David deployed on in 1990?
4. Why is David making the trip to California (the one Patsy accompanies him on)?
5. What year do rumors begin to spread throughout the military about severe personnel cutbacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a few of the reasons that Patsy is upset with David?
2. Why is David so adamant about saving money and not living beyond his means?
3. Why is David worried about Katie?
4. Why is Patsy so excited about the arrival of their baby?
5. What do David and Stephen do together on Stephen's first two-week stay with David?
6. Why does David have such a hard time on the drive home from Utah to Florida?
7. Who does David give the first copies of his book "A Child Called It" to?
8. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
9. How does David describe Stephen's feelings about his separation from Patsy?
10. What does David promise to Stephen, in his own mind, about going to war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe David's relationship with Patsy. Why does David begin the relationship with Patsy? How does their relationship progress? Is the relationship good for David? For Patsy? Do you believe that the relationship was doomed from the beginning? Why?
Essay Topic 2
David tells readers about a time in his childhood when he was ready to die. Why do you think he was finally ready to give up? What finally snapped in David? Given all of the abuse, why was he willing to let his mother finally win and kill him? Or would she really be winning?
Essay Topic 3
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)