|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to David's mother, what was his other entity?
2. Who is Marsha Donohoe?
3. What are "PCs?"
4. After Patsy moves in, who does David find out has cancer?
5. What year do rumors begin to spread throughout the military about severe personnel cutbacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on David's first qualification flight on the Looking Glass?
2. How does Patsy lose David's trust completely?
3. Who does David give the first copies of his book "A Child Called It" to?
4. During his first family trip, David goes to see his mother. Why is David shocked by his mother's home?
5. What do David and Stephen do together on Stephen's first two-week stay with David?
6. Why does David have such a hard time on the drive home from Utah to Florida?
7. What are a few of the reasons that Patsy is upset with David?
8. What rumors that could effect David begin to build around his air base in the spring of 1992?
9. What causes David to open up about his past abuse when speaking to troubled kids?
10. How does David's mother explain "It's" behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe David never gives up? There are very specific details in the novel as to why David continues to succeed. Choose one of the textual details and address why that detail allowed David to become the man he has.
Essay Topic 2
David is taken advantage of by many people throughout the novel. Examine why you believe David is an easy target. What is it about David that allows people to think that they can walk all over him? What about his personality and physical characteristics create the push-over image?
Essay Topic 3
David's mother always refuses to admit that she abused him as a child. Discuss David's mother's reasoning behind her "discipline." Be sure to address the following questions as part of the essay:
-Why does his mother continue to deny the abuse?
-Why does she admit to stabbing him but only to say it was an accident?
-Does she justify her "discipline?"
-Is there anything from her past that would make her think that she really did not abuse David and that her "discipline" was normal?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)