|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pins David against a wall telling him he shouldn't get married?
2. Upon his return to his new base, what does David learn Patsy has done?
3. During the July of 1990 argument, what does Patsy claim is all David cares about?
4. Where is the Pelzer family's first long distance trip to?
5. In August of 1990, what caused David's marital problems to be placed on the back burner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on David's first qualification flight on the Looking Glass?
2. What does David promise to Stephen, in his own mind, about going to war?
3. What does Patsy do for David during their separation that surprises him?
4. Why does David have such a hard time on the drive home from Utah to Florida?
5. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
6. What are David's thoughts as he is performing his first re-fuel on the Blackbird?
7. Describe the mood at the Mexican restaurant when David and Patsy become engaged.
8. Why is Patsy so excited about the arrival of their baby?
9. During his first family trip, David goes to see his mother. Why is David shocked by his mother's home?
10. What does David realize when his mother says, "It was an accident?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David tells readers about a time in his childhood when he was ready to die. Why do you think he was finally ready to give up? What finally snapped in David? Given all of the abuse, why was he willing to let his mother finally win and kill him? Or would she really be winning?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss David's need to work with abused children. What do you think this does for David? How does David grow because of his work with abused children? What is the turning point for David that makes him realize that this is the best thing for him to do? When does David realize that he may be making a difference?
Essay Topic 3
David searches for answers to his abuse throughout the novel. Discuss David's findings while addressing the following:
-Who tells David about his past?
-What person does David find out the most from?
-What conclusions does David come to about his past from the information he gets?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)