|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marsha Donohoe?
2. Why does Patsy say that the luncheon she received an award for David at "wasn't all that?"
3. What is David's last thought of 1985?
4. How old is David's son when he leaves for Saudi Arabia?
5. What year do rumors begin to spread throughout the military about severe personnel cutbacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
2. Describe the mood at the Mexican restaurant when David and Patsy become engaged.
3. What happens a few weeks before Stephen's first birthday?
4. Why does David's friend David Howard refuse to stand as David's best man?
5. How does Patsy lose David's trust completely?
6. During his first family trip, David goes to see his mother. Why is David shocked by his mother's home?
7. What are David's thoughts as he is performing his first re-fuel on the Blackbird?
8. Why is David worried about Katie?
9. How does David's mother explain "It's" behavior?
10. What rumors that could effect David begin to build around his air base in the spring of 1992?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of David's son Stephen. Why is Stephen so important to David? Why is David willing to sacrifice everything for his son? Is this David's way of showing the world that he is not a "bad person?" How does Stephen save David?
Essay Topic 3
David's mother always refuses to admit that she abused him as a child. Discuss David's mother's reasoning behind her "discipline." Be sure to address the following questions as part of the essay:
-Why does his mother continue to deny the abuse?
-Why does she admit to stabbing him but only to say it was an accident?
-Does she justify her "discipline?"
-Is there anything from her past that would make her think that she really did not abuse David and that her "discipline" was normal?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)