|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After all of the problems with David's Air Force paperwork, what base does he finally get assigned to?
2. How many years were David and Patsy married before they separated?
3. What kind of books does David read to his son?
4. What was the name of the principal that called David's mother everyday while he was in school?
5. Where does David first meet Patsy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do David and Stephen do together on Stephen's first two-week stay with David?
2. What causes David to erupt after reading a news article?
3. What are David's thoughts as he is performing his first re-fuel on the Blackbird?
4. Describe the mood at the Mexican restaurant when David and Patsy become engaged.
5. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
6. What rumors that could effect David begin to build around his air base in the spring of 1992?
7. Why does David's friend David Howard refuse to stand as David's best man?
8. Who does David give the first copies of his book "A Child Called It" to?
9. What does Patsy do for David during their separation that surprises him?
10. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
Essay Topic 2
David is taken advantage of by many people throughout the novel. Examine why you believe David is an easy target. What is it about David that allows people to think that they can walk all over him? What about his personality and physical characteristics create the push-over image?
Essay Topic 3
When talking to David about his past abuse, Patsy did not believe him. Discuss why you think Patsy did not believe that David was abused. What about David's personality makes it hard for her to believe that he was abused? Does David possess any signs of being an abused child? If so, why does Patsy fail to recognize these signs?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)