|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patsy say that the luncheon she received an award for David at "wasn't all that?"
2. Which one of David's favorite planes is retired in 1990?
3. Right before leaving his mother's home with his wife and son, what does his mother beg him to do?
4. What does Mr. Zeigler ask David to do after David's presentation at the school?
5. How old is David's son when he leaves for Saudi Arabia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David have such a hard time on the drive home from Utah to Florida?
2. What do David and Stephen do together on Stephen's first two-week stay with David?
3. What does Patsy do for David during their separation that surprises him?
4. How does David's mother explain "It's" behavior?
5. What option does the female co-pilot give David as an alternative to getting married?
6. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
7. Who does David give the first copies of his book "A Child Called It" to?
8. What does David realize when his mother says, "It was an accident?"
9. What causes David to open up about his past abuse when speaking to troubled kids?
10. What are a few of the reasons that Patsy is upset with David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important for David to write books about his past? Did this help him heal in anyway? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
David's mother always refuses to admit that she abused him as a child. Discuss David's mother's reasoning behind her "discipline." Be sure to address the following questions as part of the essay:
-Why does his mother continue to deny the abuse?
-Why does she admit to stabbing him but only to say it was an accident?
-Does she justify her "discipline?"
-Is there anything from her past that would make her think that she really did not abuse David and that her "discipline" was normal?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why David struggles with forgiving his mother. What does it finally take for David to forgive his mother? Why is it that David struggles with forgiving her?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)