|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patsy say about the title of David's first book?
2. What is David's job aboard the Looking Glass?
3. What does David tell Patsy he wants to do after getting out of the Air Force?
4. What does Mr. Zeigler ask David to do after David's presentation at the school?
5. After all of the problems with David's Air Force paperwork, what base does he finally get assigned to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David's mother explain "It's" behavior?
2. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
3. What does Patsy do for David during their separation that surprises him?
4. Describe the mood at the Mexican restaurant when David and Patsy become engaged.
5. Why does David have such a hard time on the drive home from Utah to Florida?
6. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
7. What are a few of the reasons that Patsy is upset with David?
8. What causes David to open up about his past abuse when speaking to troubled kids?
9. What happens a few weeks before Stephen's first birthday?
10. During his first family trip, David goes to see his mother. Why is David shocked by his mother's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe David's relationship with his father. What kind of relationship does David have with his father when he is a child? How does David come to accept his father's decisions during his childhood? What part of David's relationship helps him to face the future?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss David's feelings about himself. Do you think that these feelings are warranted? How does David cope with his feelings? What makes it possible for David to live with himself given how he feels? When do David's feelings about himself change?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)