|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Much to David's surprise, how long has his father been in the hospital?
2. After examining David, what does the nurse come to find out is David's real injury?
3. David's grandmother is very hard on Stan. Why is David angry about her lack of patience with Stan?
4. Which one of David's brothers does he take out while in town visiting his grandmother?
5. Upon returning to his base after the funeral, what illness does David come down with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
2. Describe the nightmares that David has during basic training.
3. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
4. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
5. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
6. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
7. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
8. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
9. How does David's father "tell" him where the badge is?
10. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe David never gives up? There are very specific details in the novel as to why David continues to succeed. Choose one of the textual details and address why that detail allowed David to become the man he has.
Essay Topic 3
Describe David's relationship with Patsy. Why does David begin the relationship with Patsy? How does their relationship progress? Is the relationship good for David? For Patsy? Do you believe that the relationship was doomed from the beginning? Why?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)