|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon returning to his base after the funeral, what illness does David come down with?
2. What causes David's father to be hospitalized?
3. While at his grandmother's, what CAN'T David do?
4. What happened to the home of David's mother while he was in Egypt?
5. Who admits to calling social services before David was removed from his mother's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
2. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
3. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
4. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
5. What does David's mother mean by "All I've done for you" when talking to David?
6. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
7. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
8. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
9. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
10. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Patsy and Marsha. How are these two women similar? How are they different? Are their differences the reason one relationship survives and one fails? How to they both treat David?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it important for David to write books about his past? Did this help him heal in anyway? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
David's father's fireman's badge is very important to him. In an essay, discuss the importance of the badge. Why does David's father's badge mean so much to him? What does the badge symbolize? Does the badge symbolize a crutch or a way out?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)