|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of his father's does David take from the coat in the closet?
2. What memory does David have upon walking into his grandmother's home?
3. According to the nurse, what is David's first priority relating to his father's stay in the hospital?
4. What was the date that David was placed into protective custody?
5. Who bought David a bike for Christmas in 1972?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
2. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
3. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
4. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
5. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
6. What does David's mother mean by "All I've done for you" when talking to David?
7. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
8. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
9. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
10. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe David's relationship with Patsy. Why does David begin the relationship with Patsy? How does their relationship progress? Is the relationship good for David? For Patsy? Do you believe that the relationship was doomed from the beginning? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of David's son Stephen. Why is Stephen so important to David? Why is David willing to sacrifice everything for his son? Is this David's way of showing the world that he is not a "bad person?" How does Stephen save David?
Essay Topic 3
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)