|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the enlisting sergeant call David when talking to him about planes?
2. What does David's grandmother compare talking about the past to?
3. Who wrote the letter that David wished he never received?
4. After examining David, what does the nurse come to find out is David's real injury?
5. Where does David's grandmother think he should visit while in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
2. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
3. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
4. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
5. Describe the nightmares that David has during basic training.
6. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
7. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
8. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
9. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
10. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss David's feelings about himself. Do you think that these feelings are warranted? How does David cope with his feelings? What makes it possible for David to live with himself given how he feels? When do David's feelings about himself change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why David struggles with forgiving his mother. What does it finally take for David to forgive his mother? Why is it that David struggles with forgiving her?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)