|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there no casket at the funeral of David's father?
2. How does David impress the recruiting officer while filling out his Air Force enlistment papers?
3. Who called David at his foster parent's home while taking a break from staying with his father in the hospital?
4. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
5. While looking at pictures in his mother's bedroom, who is missing in all of the photos?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
2. What is the only way that David knows how to deal with his father's death?
3. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
4. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
5. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
6. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
7. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
8. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
9. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
10. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Patsy and Marsha. How are these two women similar? How are they different? Are their differences the reason one relationship survives and one fails? How to they both treat David?
Essay Topic 2
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)