|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While talking to his father in the hospital, why does David say he joined the Air Force?
2. Who called David at his foster parent's home while taking a break from staying with his father in the hospital?
3. What book written by Gary Powers does David spend time reading?
4. Who calls to tell David that his father is in the hospital?
5. What statement does David make at the very end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
2. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
3. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
4. How did David deal with his Mother's abuse as a child?
5. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
6. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
7. What is the only way that David knows how to deal with his father's death?
8. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
9. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
10. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss David's need to work with abused children. What do you think this does for David? How does David grow because of his work with abused children? What is the turning point for David that makes him realize that this is the best thing for him to do? When does David realize that he may be making a difference?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss David's feelings about himself. Do you think that these feelings are warranted? How does David cope with his feelings? What makes it possible for David to live with himself given how he feels? When do David's feelings about himself change?
Essay Topic 3
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)