|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the enlisting sergeant compare David to?
2. According to David, who is the only one who can save his father?
3. What was the date that David was placed into protective custody?
4. David's grandmother is very hard on Stan. Why is David angry about her lack of patience with Stan?
5. While looking at pictures in his mother's bedroom, who is missing in all of the photos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David realize when his mother says, "It was an accident?"
2. What happens on David's first qualification flight on the Looking Glass?
3. How does David describe Stephen's feelings about his separation from Patsy?
4. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
5. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
6. Describe David's relationship with his son Stephen.
7. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
8. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
9. What does David promise to Stephen, in his own mind, about going to war?
10. What do David and Stephen do together on Stephen's first two-week stay with David?
Essay Topic 1
David is taken advantage of by many people throughout the novel. Examine why you believe David is an easy target. What is it about David that allows people to think that they can walk all over him? What about his personality and physical characteristics create the push-over image?
Essay Topic 2
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe David never gives up? There are very specific details in the novel as to why David continues to succeed. Choose one of the textual details and address why that detail allowed David to become the man he has.
This section contains 1,766 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)