|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does David's mother come up with to cover up his injuries sustained from being pushed down the stairs?
2. During David's nightmares, how does he see his mother?
3. What does the nurse tell Steve he has to do in order to allow his father to "go?"
4. After examining David, what does the nurse come to find out is David's real injury?
5. What are the only letters that David regularly receives while in basic training?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
2. What advice does David's father have for him as he gets ready to leave for the Air Force?
3. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
4. Describe the nightmares that David has during basic training.
5. While looking around his mother's bedroom, what is he surprised to find after seven years?
6. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
7. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
8. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
9. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
10. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
Essay Topic 2
David tells readers about a time in his childhood when he was ready to die. Why do you think he was finally ready to give up? What finally snapped in David? Given all of the abuse, why was he willing to let his mother finally win and kill him? Or would she really be winning?
Essay Topic 3
When talking to David about his past abuse, Patsy did not believe him. Discuss why you think Patsy did not believe that David was abused. What about David's personality makes it hard for her to believe that he was abused? Does David possess any signs of being an abused child? If so, why does Patsy fail to recognize these signs?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)