Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did David's grandmother hear David yelling into a mirror when he was a child?
2. After riding his motorcycle to his grandmother's, where does David end up sleeping on the night he arrives?
3. Which one of David's brothers does he take out while in town visiting his grandmother?
4. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
5. Why is there no casket at the funeral of David's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
2. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
3. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
4. What happens a few weeks before Stephen's first birthday?
5. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
6. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
7. Why is David worried about Katie?
8. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
9. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
10. Why is Patsy so excited about the arrival of their baby?
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important for David to write books about his past? Did this help him heal in anyway? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast David's grandmother and mother. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do they both treat David? Are there any signs in the novel to explain their behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
David is taken advantage of by many people throughout the novel. Examine why you believe David is an easy target. What is it about David that allows people to think that they can walk all over him? What about his personality and physical characteristics create the push-over image?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)