|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of going out during time off from the Air Force, what does David do?
2. Who does the enlisting sergeant compare David to?
3. Who is David's "bunk buddy" in the Air Force?
4. What is the name of the male nurse that meets David to inform him about his father's condition?
5. What is the name of David's social worker?
Short Essay Questions
1. While looking around his mother's bedroom, what is he surprised to find after seven years?
2. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
3. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
4. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
5. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
6. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
7. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
8. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
9. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
10. What advice does David's father have for him as he gets ready to leave for the Air Force?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of David's son Stephen. Why is Stephen so important to David? Why is David willing to sacrifice everything for his son? Is this David's way of showing the world that he is not a "bad person?" How does Stephen save David?
Essay Topic 2
Describe David's relationship with Patsy. Why does David begin the relationship with Patsy? How does their relationship progress? Is the relationship good for David? For Patsy? Do you believe that the relationship was doomed from the beginning? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Patsy and Marsha. How are these two women similar? How are they different? Are their differences the reason one relationship survives and one fails? How to they both treat David?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)