|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is David's grandmother upset with Russell?
2. On the day that David runs late for the hospital, what lie does David tell his father?
3. Why is there no casket at the funeral of David's father?
4. While staying with his father in the hospital, David goes to see his mother. Who answers the door at his mother's house?
5. The last time David saw his father, he showed him his prized possession. What is his father's prized possession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
2. How does David's mother explain "It's" behavior?
3. What does Patsy do for David during their separation that surprises him?
4. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
5. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
6. What does David's mother mean by "All I've done for you" when talking to David?
7. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
8. Why does David's friend David Howard refuse to stand as David's best man?
9. How does Patsy lose David's trust completely?
10. What do David and Stephen do together on Stephen's first two-week stay with David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe David never gives up? There are very specific details in the novel as to why David continues to succeed. Choose one of the textual details and address why that detail allowed David to become the man he has.
Essay Topic 2
Describe David's relationship with his father. What kind of relationship does David have with his father when he is a child? How does David come to accept his father's decisions during his childhood? What part of David's relationship helps him to face the future?
Essay Topic 3
David's father's fireman's badge is very important to him. In an essay, discuss the importance of the badge. Why does David's father's badge mean so much to him? What does the badge symbolize? Does the badge symbolize a crutch or a way out?
This section contains 1,771 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)