|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is David's "bunk buddy" in the Air Force?
2. In the autobiography, what does David say is the nickname given to foster children?
3. Where is David's plane landing at the end of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
4. While talking to his father in the hospital, why does David say he joined the Air Force?
5. According to David's mother, who is the man of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
2. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
3. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
4. How does David's father "tell" him where the badge is?
5. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
6. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
7. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
8. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
9. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
10. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss David's need to work with abused children. What do you think this does for David? How does David grow because of his work with abused children? What is the turning point for David that makes him realize that this is the best thing for him to do? When does David realize that he may be making a difference?
Essay Topic 2
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
Essay Topic 3
David feels a lot of inadequacies in his relationships with others. Choose one of the following people from the novel and discuss David's feelings of inadequacy regarding that person. Why does he feel these inadequacies? What fuels these inadequacies for David and the individual chosen? Are the inadequacies played upon by the individual in the relationship with David?
-Stephen (his son)
-Any of his brothers
-David's first manager Jerry
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)