|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the nurse, what is David's first priority relating to his father's stay in the hospital?
2. What is the name of the Technical Sergeant, or David's supervisor, that finally tells him he is doing a great job?
3. Who admits to calling social services before David was removed from his mother's home?
4. Where is David's plane landing at the end of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
5. What does David's grandmother compare talking about the past to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
2. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
3. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
4. What advice does David's father have for him as he gets ready to leave for the Air Force?
5. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
6. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
7. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
8. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
9. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
10. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of David's son Stephen. Why is Stephen so important to David? Why is David willing to sacrifice everything for his son? Is this David's way of showing the world that he is not a "bad person?" How does Stephen save David?
Essay Topic 3
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)