Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did David's grandmother hear David yelling into a mirror when he was a child?
2. After riding his motorcycle to his grandmother's, where does David end up sleeping on the night he arrives?
3. Which one of David's brothers does he take out while in town visiting his grandmother?
4. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
5. Why is there no casket at the funeral of David's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
2. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
3. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
4. What happens a few weeks before Stephen's first birthday?
5. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
6. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
7. Why is David worried about Katie?
8. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
9. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
10. Why is Patsy so excited about the arrival of their baby?
Essay Topic 1
David feels a lot of inadequacies in his relationships with others. Choose one of the following people from the novel and discuss David's feelings of inadequacy regarding that person. Why does he feel these inadequacies? What fuels these inadequacies for David and the individual chosen? Are the inadequacies played upon by the individual in the relationship with David?
-Stephen (his son)
-Any of his brothers
-David's first manager Jerry
Essay Topic 2
Describe David's relationship with his father. What kind of relationship does David have with his father when he is a child? How does David come to accept his father's decisions during his childhood? What part of David's relationship helps him to face the future?
Essay Topic 3
David struggled throughout his career in the Air Force. Describe David's many trials and tribulations throughout his career. Why does David refuse to give up, knowing that he is not on the path that he enlisted for? How does David's past help him in the Air Force?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)