Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did David's grandmother hear David yelling into a mirror when he was a child?
2. After riding his motorcycle to his grandmother's, where does David end up sleeping on the night he arrives?
3. Which one of David's brothers does he take out while in town visiting his grandmother?
4. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
5. Why is there no casket at the funeral of David's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
2. After all of the problems with David's paperwork in the military, what does Sergeant Blue offer David?
3. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
4. What happens a few weeks before Stephen's first birthday?
5. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
6. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
7. Why is David worried about Katie?
8. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
9. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
10. Why is Patsy so excited about the arrival of their baby?
Essay Topic 1
David feels a lot of inadequacies in his relationships with others. Choose one of the following people from the novel and discuss David's feelings of inadequacy regarding that person. Why does he feel these inadequacies? What fuels these inadequacies for David and the individual chosen? Are the inadequacies played upon by the individual in the relationship with David?
-Stephen (his son)
-Any of his brothers
-David's first manager Jerry
Essay Topic 2
David's mother always refuses to admit that she abused him as a child. Discuss David's mother's reasoning behind her "discipline." Be sure to address the following questions as part of the essay:
-Why does his mother continue to deny the abuse?
-Why does she admit to stabbing him but only to say it was an accident?
-Does she justify her "discipline?"
-Is there anything from her past that would make her think that she really did not abuse David and that her "discipline" was normal?
Essay Topic 3
David tells readers about a time in his childhood when he was ready to die. Why do you think he was finally ready to give up? What finally snapped in David? Given all of the abuse, why was he willing to let his mother finally win and kill him? Or would she really be winning?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)