|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mission to Egypt nicknamed?
2. What causes David's father to be hospitalized?
3. What excuse does David's mother come up with to cover up his injuries sustained from being pushed down the stairs?
4. Who does the enlisting sergeant compare David to?
5. Where does the book begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
2. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
3. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
4. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
5. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
6. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
7. While looking around his mother's bedroom, what is he surprised to find after seven years?
8. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
9. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
10. How does David's father "tell" him where the badge is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe David never gives up? There are very specific details in the novel as to why David continues to succeed. Choose one of the textual details and address why that detail allowed David to become the man he has.
Essay Topic 2
Describe David's relationship with Patsy. Why does David begin the relationship with Patsy? How does their relationship progress? Is the relationship good for David? For Patsy? Do you believe that the relationship was doomed from the beginning? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss David's need to work with abused children. What do you think this does for David? How does David grow because of his work with abused children? What is the turning point for David that makes him realize that this is the best thing for him to do? When does David realize that he may be making a difference?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)