|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is David sick at the beginning of the second chapter?
2. According to David, what word is associated with the highest compliment that his father could give him?
3. What book written by Gary Powers does David spend time reading?
4. Where does David's grandmother think he should visit while in town?
5. What does David want his mother to do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
2. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
3. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
4. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
5. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
6. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
7. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
8. Describe the nightmares that David has during basic training.
9. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
10. How did David deal with his Mother's abuse as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David dreams of the Russian River many times throughout the novel. Explain the importance of the Russian River to David. Why is the this place so important to him? Is it his memories or his planning for the future that fuel his love for the river?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast David's grandmother and mother. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do they both treat David? Are there any signs in the novel to explain their behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss David's need to work with abused children. What do you think this does for David? How does David grow because of his work with abused children? What is the turning point for David that makes him realize that this is the best thing for him to do? When does David realize that he may be making a difference?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)