|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at his grandmother's, what CAN'T David do?
2. Where does the book begin?
3. While speaking about her family, where does David's mother say Ronald is stationed at?
4. According to Aunt Jane, times were different in the past and nicknamed what?
5. Who called David at his foster parent's home while taking a break from staying with his father in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does David's father have for him as he gets ready to leave for the Air Force?
2. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
3. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
4. While looking around his mother's bedroom, what is he surprised to find after seven years?
5. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
6. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
7. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
8. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
9. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
10. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When talking to David about his past abuse, Patsy did not believe him. Discuss why you think Patsy did not believe that David was abused. What about David's personality makes it hard for her to believe that he was abused? Does David possess any signs of being an abused child? If so, why does Patsy fail to recognize these signs?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss David's need to work with abused children. What do you think this does for David? How does David grow because of his work with abused children? What is the turning point for David that makes him realize that this is the best thing for him to do? When does David realize that he may be making a difference?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)