|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of David's brothers does he take out while in town visiting his grandmother?
2. How long is David heavily sedated due to his illness?
3. Where does the book begin?
4. According to David's mother, who is the man of the house?
5. What does David want his mother to do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. While looking around his mother's bedroom, what is he surprised to find after seven years?
2. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
3. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
4. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
5. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
6. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
7. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
8. How does David's father "tell" him where the badge is?
9. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
10. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe David never gives up? There are very specific details in the novel as to why David continues to succeed. Choose one of the textual details and address why that detail allowed David to become the man he has.
Essay Topic 3
David's mother always refuses to admit that she abused him as a child. Discuss David's mother's reasoning behind her "discipline." Be sure to address the following questions as part of the essay:
-Why does his mother continue to deny the abuse?
-Why does she admit to stabbing him but only to say it was an accident?
-Does she justify her "discipline?"
-Is there anything from her past that would make her think that she really did not abuse David and that her "discipline" was normal?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)