|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David cope with his father's death?
2. Where is David at in the beginning of his book?
3. What statement does David make at the very end of Chapter 1?
4. What does David's grandmother say she never did to his mother?
5. According to the phone call, how long does David's father have left to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
2. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
3. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
4. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
5. What does David's mother mean by "All I've done for you" when talking to David?
6. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
7. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
8. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
9. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
10. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
Essay Topic 2
David searches for answers to his abuse throughout the novel. Discuss David's findings while addressing the following:
-Who tells David about his past?
-What person does David find out the most from?
-What conclusions does David come to about his past from the information he gets?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss David's need to work with abused children. What do you think this does for David? How does David grow because of his work with abused children? What is the turning point for David that makes him realize that this is the best thing for him to do? When does David realize that he may be making a difference?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)