|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the last words Aunt Jane and David's father (right before David enlisted in the Air Force) said when getting off the phone after telling David that "There are no guarantees in life?"
2. While at his grandmother's, what CAN'T David do?
3. While looking at pictures in his mother's bedroom, who is missing in all of the photos?
4. What does David's mother call him?
5. Who goes to the hospital with David to see his father for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
2. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
3. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
4. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
5. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
6. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
7. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
8. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
9. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
10. How did David deal with his Mother's abuse as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast David's grandmother and mother. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do they both treat David? Are there any signs in the novel to explain their behaviors?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Patsy and Marsha. How are these two women similar? How are they different? Are their differences the reason one relationship survives and one fails? How to they both treat David?
Essay Topic 3
David is taken advantage of by many people throughout the novel. Examine why you believe David is an easy target. What is it about David that allows people to think that they can walk all over him? What about his personality and physical characteristics create the push-over image?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)