|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of David's foster mother?
2. After basic training is completed, what position does David get in the Air Force?
3. Why is David's grandmother upset with Russell?
4. Who admits to calling social services before David was removed from his mother's home?
5. What excuse does David's mother come up with to cover up his injuries sustained from being pushed down the stairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did David deal with his Mother's abuse as a child?
2. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
3. What is the only way that David knows how to deal with his father's death?
4. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
5. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
6. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
7. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
8. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
9. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
10. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David searches for answers to his abuse throughout the novel. Discuss David's findings while addressing the following:
-Who tells David about his past?
-What person does David find out the most from?
-What conclusions does David come to about his past from the information he gets?
Essay Topic 2
David's mother always refuses to admit that she abused him as a child. Discuss David's mother's reasoning behind her "discipline." Be sure to address the following questions as part of the essay:
-Why does his mother continue to deny the abuse?
-Why does she admit to stabbing him but only to say it was an accident?
-Does she justify her "discipline?"
-Is there anything from her past that would make her think that she really did not abuse David and that her "discipline" was normal?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of David's son Stephen. Why is Stephen so important to David? Why is David willing to sacrifice everything for his son? Is this David's way of showing the world that he is not a "bad person?" How does Stephen save David?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)