|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls to tell David that his father is in the hospital?
2. While looking at pictures in his mother's bedroom, who is missing in all of the photos?
3. Much to David's surprise, how long has his father been in the hospital?
4. In the hospital, what story does David tell his father so that he can talk to him without worrying what to say?
5. What does David want his mother to do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
2. What advice does David's father have for him as he gets ready to leave for the Air Force?
3. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
4. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
5. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
6. While looking around his mother's bedroom, what is he surprised to find after seven years?
7. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
8. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
9. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
10. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When talking to David about his past abuse, Patsy did not believe him. Discuss why you think Patsy did not believe that David was abused. What about David's personality makes it hard for her to believe that he was abused? Does David possess any signs of being an abused child? If so, why does Patsy fail to recognize these signs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss David's need to work with abused children. What do you think this does for David? How does David grow because of his work with abused children? What is the turning point for David that makes him realize that this is the best thing for him to do? When does David realize that he may be making a difference?
Essay Topic 3
David is taken advantage of by many people throughout the novel. Examine why you believe David is an easy target. What is it about David that allows people to think that they can walk all over him? What about his personality and physical characteristics create the push-over image?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)