|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The last time David saw his father, he showed him his prized possession. What is his father's prized possession?
2. What is the first thing David does upon returning from Egypt?
3. Why does David call his grandmother when he gets home from Egypt?
4. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
5. After basic training is completed, what position does David get in the Air Force?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
2. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
3. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
4. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
5. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
6. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
7. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
8. How did David deal with his Mother's abuse as a child?
9. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
10. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe David's relationship with Patsy. Why does David begin the relationship with Patsy? How does their relationship progress? Is the relationship good for David? For Patsy? Do you believe that the relationship was doomed from the beginning? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss David's need to work with abused children. What do you think this does for David? How does David grow because of his work with abused children? What is the turning point for David that makes him realize that this is the best thing for him to do? When does David realize that he may be making a difference?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss David's feelings about himself. Do you think that these feelings are warranted? How does David cope with his feelings? What makes it possible for David to live with himself given how he feels? When do David's feelings about himself change?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)