|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
2. On the day that David runs late for the hospital, what lie does David tell his father?
3. Who bought David a bike for Christmas in 1972?
4. Much to David's surprise, how long has his father been in the hospital?
5. In the hospital, what story does David tell his father so that he can talk to him without worrying what to say?
Short Essay Questions
1. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
2. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
3. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
4. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
5. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
6. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
7. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
8. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
9. What does David's mother mean by "All I've done for you" when talking to David?
10. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast David's grandmother and mother. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do they both treat David? Are there any signs in the novel to explain their behaviors?
Essay Topic 2
David's father's fireman's badge is very important to him. In an essay, discuss the importance of the badge. Why does David's father's badge mean so much to him? What does the badge symbolize? Does the badge symbolize a crutch or a way out?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe David never gives up? There are very specific details in the novel as to why David continues to succeed. Choose one of the textual details and address why that detail allowed David to become the man he has.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)