|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory does David have upon walking into his grandmother's home?
2. During David's nightmares, how does he see his mother?
3. While staying with his father in the hospital, David goes to see his mother. Who answers the door at his mother's house?
4. What is the name of David's social worker?
5. Who goes to the hospital with David to see his father for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
2. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
3. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
4. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
5. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
6. What does David's mother mean by "All I've done for you" when talking to David?
7. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
8. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
9. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
10. While looking around his mother's bedroom, what is he surprised to find after seven years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the similarities between Patsy and David's mother. Do you think these similarities have anything to do with their relationship failing? Do you think that David was trying to make up for the bad relationship he had with his mother in dating/marrying Patsy? Do you think that David was trying to save Patsy from herself because he could not save his mother?
Essay Topic 2
David's father's fireman's badge is very important to him. In an essay, discuss the importance of the badge. Why does David's father's badge mean so much to him? What does the badge symbolize? Does the badge symbolize a crutch or a way out?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important for David to write books about his past? Did this help him heal in anyway? How do you know?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)