|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After riding his motorcycle to his grandmother's, where does David end up sleeping on the night he arrives?
2. What is the name of David's social worker?
3. In the hospital, what story does David tell his father so that he can talk to him without worrying what to say?
4. What does David think his father's admittance into the hospital will do for his family?
5. What does David describe his knight-in-shining-armor plans as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
2. How does David's father "tell" him where the badge is?
3. How did David deal with his Mother's abuse as a child?
4. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
5. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
6. What advice does David's father have for him as he gets ready to leave for the Air Force?
7. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
8. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
9. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
10. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David's father's fireman's badge is very important to him. In an essay, discuss the importance of the badge. Why does David's father's badge mean so much to him? What does the badge symbolize? Does the badge symbolize a crutch or a way out?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of David's son Stephen. Why is Stephen so important to David? Why is David willing to sacrifice everything for his son? Is this David's way of showing the world that he is not a "bad person?" How does Stephen save David?
Essay Topic 3
David feels a lot of inadequacies in his relationships with others. Choose one of the following people from the novel and discuss David's feelings of inadequacy regarding that person. Why does he feel these inadequacies? What fuels these inadequacies for David and the individual chosen? Are the inadequacies played upon by the individual in the relationship with David?
-Stephen (his son)
-Any of his brothers
-David's first manager Jerry
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)