|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bought David a bike for Christmas in 1972?
2. On the day that David runs late for the hospital, what lie does David tell his father?
3. What does David's grandmother say she never did to his mother?
4. Who wrote the letter that David wished he never received?
5. Who does David find out has died while he was in Egypt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patsy lose David's trust completely?
2. What is the only way that David knows how to deal with his father's death?
3. During his first family trip, David goes to see his mother. Why is David shocked by his mother's home?
4. What does Patsy do for David during their separation that surprises him?
5. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
6. What rumors that could effect David begin to build around his air base in the spring of 1992?
7. Who does David give the first copies of his book "A Child Called It" to?
8. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
9. What does David remember about his childhood when talking to Mr. Ziegler at his old elementary school?
10. What happens a few weeks before Stephen's first birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David searches for answers to his abuse throughout the novel. Discuss David's findings while addressing the following:
-Who tells David about his past?
-What person does David find out the most from?
-What conclusions does David come to about his past from the information he gets?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why David struggles with forgiving his mother. What does it finally take for David to forgive his mother? Why is it that David struggles with forgiving her?
Essay Topic 3
David is taken advantage of by many people throughout the novel. Examine why you believe David is an easy target. What is it about David that allows people to think that they can walk all over him? What about his personality and physical characteristics create the push-over image?
This section contains 1,752 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)