|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of David's brothers came to the hospital to see their father before David arrived?
2. According to the nurse, what is David's first priority relating to his father's stay in the hospital?
3. On the day that David runs late for the hospital, what lie does David tell his father?
4. How does David cope with his father's death?
5. Who goes to the hospital with David to see his father for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
2. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
3. While looking around his mother's bedroom, what is he surprised to find after seven years?
4. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
5. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
6. What is the only way that David knows how to deal with his father's death?
7. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
8. What advice does David's father have for him as he gets ready to leave for the Air Force?
9. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
10. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David feels a lot of inadequacies in his relationships with others. Choose one of the following people from the novel and discuss David's feelings of inadequacy regarding that person. Why does he feel these inadequacies? What fuels these inadequacies for David and the individual chosen? Are the inadequacies played upon by the individual in the relationship with David?
-Stephen (his son)
-Any of his brothers
-David's first manager Jerry
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Patsy and Marsha. How are these two women similar? How are they different? Are their differences the reason one relationship survives and one fails? How to they both treat David?
Essay Topic 3
David searches for answers to his abuse throughout the novel. Discuss David's findings while addressing the following:
-Who tells David about his past?
-What person does David find out the most from?
-What conclusions does David come to about his past from the information he gets?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)