|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to David's mother, he is not a person. What is he?
2. What is the name of David's social worker?
3. David's grandmother is very hard on Stan. Why is David angry about her lack of patience with Stan?
4. Which one of David's brothers came to the hospital to see their father before David arrived?
5. According to the phone call, how long does David's father have left to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
2. What is the only way that David knows how to deal with his father's death?
3. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
4. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
5. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
6. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
7. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
8. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
9. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
10. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast David's grandmother and mother. How are the two women similar? How are they different? How do they both treat David? Are there any signs in the novel to explain their behaviors?
Essay Topic 2
David is taken advantage of by many people throughout the novel. Examine why you believe David is an easy target. What is it about David that allows people to think that they can walk all over him? What about his personality and physical characteristics create the push-over image?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why David struggles with forgiving his mother. What does it finally take for David to forgive his mother? Why is it that David struggles with forgiving her?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)