|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David call his grandmother when he gets home from Egypt?
(a) To check on his mother.
(b) To get his aunt's phone number.
(c) To see if she got the money he sent her.
(d) To check on his brothers.
2. What did David's grandmother hear David yelling into a mirror when he was a child?
(a) I'm a bad boy!
(b) I hate myself!
(c) Mother is always right!
(d) I don't deserve your love!
3. What does the nurse tell Steve he has to do in order to allow his father to "go?"
(a) Sign the papers to stop treatment.
(b) Make sure he knows the funeral plans are taken care of.
(c) Tell him he loves him.
(d) Tell him he will be okay and let him go.
4. While staying with his father in the hospital, David goes to see his mother. Who answers the door at his mother's house?
(c) His grandmother.
5. What item of his father's does David take from the coat in the closet?
(a) His father's medicine.
(b) His father's medical card.
(c) His father's admittance papers.
(d) His father's badge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of David's foster mother?
2. Who is David's "bunk buddy" in the Air Force?
3. What does David describe his knight-in-shining-armor plans as?
4. What memory does David have upon walking into his grandmother's home?
5. While talking to his father in the hospital, why does David say he joined the Air Force?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
2. What does David's mother mean by "All I've done for you" when talking to David?
3. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
4. Describe the nightmares that David has during basic training.
5. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
6. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
7. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
8. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
9. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
10. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)