|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does David work as a short-order cook?
(a) Iron Skillet.
(d) Western Sizzler.
2. After examining David, what does the nurse come to find out is David's real injury?
(a) A crushed nasal passage.
(b) A swollen Adam's apple.
(c) A bruised esophagus.
(d) A crushed larynx.
3. Where does the book begin?
(a) Daly City, California.
(b) San Francisco, California.
(c) Russian RIver, California.
(d) Red River, California.
4. What is the date of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
(a) August 1, 1979.
(b) August 24, 1979.
(c) October 24, 1979.
(d) October 1, 1979.
5. What happened to the home of David's mother while he was in Egypt?
(a) It went into foreclosure.
(b) Stan accidently burned it down.
(c) It was struck by lightening and burned down.
(d) She sold it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David make the nurse promise after she tells him she knows the truth about the abuse?
2. Upon entering his mother's home, what smell made David's eyes water?
3. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
4. What statement does David make at the very end of Chapter 1?
5. According to the nurse, what is David's first priority relating to his father's stay in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
2. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
3. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
4. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
5. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
6. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
7. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
8. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
9. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
10. Describe the nightmares that David has during basic training.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)