|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David's mother call him?
2. What did David's grandmother hear David yelling into a mirror when he was a child?
(a) I'm a bad boy!
(b) I hate myself!
(c) I don't deserve your love!
(d) Mother is always right!
3. What happened to the home of David's mother while he was in Egypt?
(a) It was struck by lightening and burned down.
(b) Stan accidently burned it down.
(c) It went into foreclosure.
(d) She sold it.
4. According to the nurse, what is David's first priority relating to his father's stay in the hospital?
(a) Making financial arrangements for hospital bills.
(b) Spending time with his father.
(c) Making funeral arrangements.
(d) Making plans to move his father into a nursing home.
5. In the autobiography, what does David say is the nickname given to foster children?
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon entering his mother's home, what smell made David's eyes water?
2. Where does the book begin?
3. What is the name of the male nurse that meets David to inform him about his father's condition?
4. What is the last thing that David said to his father before he died?
5. On the day that David runs late for the hospital, what lie does David tell his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
2. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
3. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
4. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
5. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
6. What is the only way that David knows how to deal with his father's death?
7. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
8. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
9. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
10. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)