|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the nurse, what is David's first priority relating to his father's stay in the hospital?
(a) Making financial arrangements for hospital bills.
(b) Spending time with his father.
(c) Making funeral arrangements.
(d) Making plans to move his father into a nursing home.
2. In the hospital, what story does David tell his father so that he can talk to him without worrying what to say?
(a) A story about the day he was rescued from his mother.
(b) A story about his enlistment process.
(c) A story about cooking for the Air Force.
(d) A story about their trip to the Russian River.
3. What excuse does David's mother come up with to cover up his injuries sustained from being pushed down the stairs?
(a) He fell off his bike.
(b) He tripped.
(c) He was wrestling with his brothers.
(d) He was sleep-walking.
4. Upon first entering the nurse's office, what does the nurse think is wrong with David?
(a) He is losing too much blood.
(b) He is hyperventilating.
(c) He has a broken leg.
(d) He has third-degree burns.
5. Why does David refuse to say anything bad about his mother to the nurse?
(a) Because he claims no one wins against her.
(b) Because she is sick.
(c) Because she will die.
(d) Because she will deny everything.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of David's brothers came to the hospital to see their father before David arrived?
2. Which one of David's brothers does he take out while in town visiting his grandmother?
3. What does David's mother call him?
4. What is the first thing David does upon returning from Egypt?
5. Where is David's plane landing at the end of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
2. While looking around his mother's bedroom, what is he surprised to find after seven years?
3. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
4. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
5. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
6. What is the only way that David knows how to deal with his father's death?
7. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
8. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
9. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
10. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)