|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does David refuse to say anything bad about his mother to the nurse?
(a) Because she will die.
(b) Because she is sick.
(c) Because she will deny everything.
(d) Because he claims no one wins against her.
2. What causes David's father to be hospitalized?
(a) Muscular Dystrophy.
(b) Ideopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
(c) Acute Leukemia.
3. Where does the book begin?
(a) San Francisco, California.
(b) Red River, California.
(c) Russian RIver, California.
(d) Daly City, California.
4. While staying with his father in the hospital, David goes to see his mother. Who answers the door at his mother's house?
(a) His grandmother.
5. According to Aunt Jane, times were different in the past and nicknamed what?
(a) The days of ask nothing.
(b) The days of privacy.
(c) The days of wine and roses.
(d) The days of blind bliss.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is David sick at the beginning of the second chapter?
2. According to the phone call, how long does David's father have left to live?
3. Upon first entering the nurse's office, what does the nurse think is wrong with David?
4. What book written by Gary Powers does David spend time reading?
5. What does David make the nurse promise after she tells him she knows the truth about the abuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
2. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
3. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
4. Describe the nightmares that David has during basic training.
5. Why does David find out that his superior officers have been so hard on him?
6. Why does David choose to stay at the dorms rather than go out with the other soldiers?
7. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
8. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
9. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
10. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)