|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the enlisting sergeant call David when talking to him about planes?
2. Instead of going out during time off from the Air Force, what does David do?
(a) Lie in bed and cry.
(c) Call all of his family.
(d) Write letters home.
3. The last time David saw his father, he showed him his prized possession. What is his father's prized possession?
(a) His retiremant papers.
(b) His fireman's badge.
(c) A photo of his wedding.
(d) David's birth certificate.
4. While speaking about her family, where does David's mother say Ronald is stationed at?
5. In the hospital, what story does David tell his father so that he can talk to him without worrying what to say?
(a) A story about the day he was rescued from his mother.
(b) A story about cooking for the Air Force.
(c) A story about his enlistment process.
(d) A story about their trip to the Russian River.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
2. Who does the enlisting sergeant compare David to?
3. Where does the book begin?
4. What are the only letters that David regularly receives while in basic training?
5. Upon entering his mother's home, what smell made David's eyes water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
2. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
3. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
4. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
5. Why is David so upset about his father being in the hospital?
6. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
7. What does David realize while looking in the mirror at his grandmother's about his grandmother?
8. How did David deal with his Mother's abuse as a child?
9. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
10. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)