|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the hospital, what story does David tell his father so that he can talk to him without worrying what to say?
(a) A story about their trip to the Russian River.
(b) A story about the day he was rescued from his mother.
(c) A story about cooking for the Air Force.
(d) A story about his enlistment process.
2. Where does David work as a short-order cook?
(a) Iron Skillet.
(c) Western Sizzler.
3. What does David think his father's admittance into the hospital will do for his family?
(a) Create a relationship between David and his father.
(b) Create a relationship between David and his mother.
(c) Bring his parents back together.
(d) Bring him closure regarding his abusive family.
4. What does David describe his knight-in-shining-armor plans as?
(a) Self-sacrificing horridity.
(b) Idiotic pipe dreams.
(c) A waste.
(d) Stupid selfishness.
5. Where is David at in the beginning of his book?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The garage.
(c) His bedroom.
(d) The basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David cope with his father's death?
2. According to David, what word is associated with the highest compliment that his father could give him?
3. Where does David's grandmother think he should visit while in town?
4. According to David's mother, who is the man of the house?
5. What causes David's father to be hospitalized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
2. What does David's mother mean by "All I've done for you" when talking to David?
3. David's mother stopped calling David by his name while he was a child. Describe the regression of David's "name."
4. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
5. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
6. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
7. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
8. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
9. Why is David's grandmother upset with his brother Russell?
10. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)