|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to David, who is the only one who can save his father?
(b) His father.
(c) No one can save him.
2. What are the only letters that David regularly receives while in basic training?
(a) Ones from his brothers.
(b) Ones from his father.
(c) Ones marked "Return to Sender."
(d) Ones from his mother.
3. Where does David's grandmother think he should visit while in town?
(a) The chapel at the Air Force Academy.
(b) Her church.
(c) Her psychologist.
(d) Her father's old barber.
4. What causes David's father to be hospitalized?
(b) Acute Leukemia.
(c) Muscular Dystrophy.
(d) Ideopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
5. Much to David's surprise, how long has his father been in the hospital?
(a) Four months.
(b) Four years.
(c) Four days.
(d) Four weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the nurse, what is David's first priority relating to his father's stay in the hospital?
2. What book written by Gary Powers does David spend time reading?
3. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
4. What is the mission to Egypt nicknamed?
5. Why is David sick at the beginning of the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. While looking around his mother's bedroom, what is he surprised to find after seven years?
2. What advice does David's father have for him as he gets ready to leave for the Air Force?
3. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
4. Why does David not understand the reason for his mother's abuse?
5. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
6. David's grandmother denies abusing his mother. What did his grandmother do to her daughter as a child?
7. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
8. What is the only way that David knows how to deal with his father's death?
9. Who has come to visit David's father in the hospital?
10. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)