|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book written by Gary Powers does David spend time reading?
(a) Operation Overflight.
(b) Animal Farm.
(c) The Sound and the Fury.
(d) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
2. What memory does David have upon walking into his grandmother's home?
(a) Going over for Easter dinner.
(b) Spending the night to get away from his mother.
(c) Going over for Sunday brunches.
(d) Going over with his mother and brothers to decorate her Christmas tree.
3. How does David cope with his father's death?
4. After examining David, what does the nurse come to find out is David's real injury?
(a) A crushed larynx.
(b) A swollen Adam's apple.
(c) A crushed nasal passage.
(d) A bruised esophagus.
5. What does David's mother tell her mother (David's grandmother) that David did when he visited?
(a) Broke her television.
(b) Slapped his brother.
(c) Made his mother cry.
(d) Stormed into the house and tore it up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David make the nurse promise after she tells him she knows the truth about the abuse?
2. Why is David's grandmother upset with Russell?
3. Upon returning to his base after the funeral, what illness does David come down with?
4. What was the date that David was placed into protective custody?
5. Where does the book begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Patsy gives David a lot of trouble about not going out with her in Chapter 6 entitled "Regroup." How does David justify to Patsy not going out and doing anything fun?
2. Why is David surprised upon entering his mother's home after seven years?
3. How does David impress the Air Force sergeant assigned to his enlistment paperwork?
4. How did David deal with his Mother's abuse as a child?
5. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
6. Why is David afraid of the nurse reporting the abuse to the authorities?
7. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
8. What does David's mother mean by "All I've done for you" when talking to David?
9. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
10. Why is David's grandmother so upset with his mother (her daughter) after his father's death?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)