|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
(a) August 1, 1979.
(b) August 24, 1979.
(c) October 1, 1979.
(d) October 24, 1979.
2. What book written by Gary Powers does David spend time reading?
(a) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
(b) The Sound and the Fury.
(c) Animal Farm.
(d) Operation Overflight.
3. According to David's mother, who is the man of the house?
4. After examining David, what does the nurse come to find out is David's real injury?
(a) A crushed nasal passage.
(b) A swollen Adam's apple.
(c) A bruised esophagus.
(d) A crushed larynx.
5. Who wrote the letter that David wished he never received?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His foster mother.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is David's aviation mentor?
2. What does David's mother call him?
3. Who calls to tell David that his father is in the hospital?
4. Upon first entering the nurse's office, what does the nurse think is wrong with David?
5. What causes David's father to be hospitalized?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1 entitled "The End," what happens when David finally lashes out verbally against his mother?
2. Describe the nightmares that David has during basic training.
3. Describe the hug between David and his grandmother during their first meeting in years.
4. What advice does David's father have for him as he gets ready to leave for the Air Force?
5. Why does David initially refuse to admit that his father was going to die?
6. Why is David shocked by the one and only letter his father sends him?
7. Why does David's mother refuse to go see her husband in the hospital?
8. David has the chance to leave for basic training in either one day or the following week. Why does David choose to leave in a week for basic training?
9. How does David's father "tell" him where the badge is?
10. Why is David sweating while on the plane to San Antonio?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)