|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the enlisting sergeant compare David to?
(a) Chuck Yeager.
(b) "Tex" Johnston.
(c) Christopher Platte.
(d) John Boyd.
2. While talking to his father in the hospital, why does David say he joined the Air Force?
(a) To become a fireman and honor his father.
(b) To follow the military motto and "be all that he can be."
(c) To get away from his mother.
(d) To become a pilot and prove that he can be successful.
3. Which one of David's brothers does he take out while in town visiting his grandmother?
4. Who is David's "bunk buddy" in the Air Force?
5. What is the name of David's social worker?
(a) Ms. Gold.
(b) Ms. Silver.
(c) Ms. Smith.
(d) Ms. Free.
6. In the hospital, what story does David tell his father so that he can talk to him without worrying what to say?
(a) A story about the day he was rescued from his mother.
(b) A story about their trip to the Russian River.
(c) A story about his enlistment process.
(d) A story about cooking for the Air Force.
7. What is the mission to Egypt nicknamed?
(a) Digger's Dream.
(b) Proud Phantom.
(c) Tent Offense.
(d) Desert Seige.
8. According to David's mother, who is the man of the house?
9. What statement does David make at the very end of Chapter 1?
(a) I am done with hurting.
(b) I am ready to die.
(c) I want to stand up for myself.
(d) I am going to make mom hurt.
10. Much to David's surprise, how long has his father been in the hospital?
(a) Four years.
(b) Four months.
(c) Four days.
(d) Four weeks.
11. What does the nurse tell Steve he has to do in order to allow his father to "go?"
(a) Tell him he will be okay and let him go.
(b) Make sure he knows the funeral plans are taken care of.
(c) Tell him he loves him.
(d) Sign the papers to stop treatment.
12. What does David's mother call him?
13. Upon entering the hospital to see David's father, what does the smell remind him of?
(a) Being in the airplane bathroom.
(b) Being trapped in a bathroom during his abusive childhood.
(c) His grandmother's home.
(d) His mother's death.
14. What is the name of the Technical Sergeant, or David's supervisor, that finally tells him he is doing a great job?
15. During David's nightmares, how does he see his mother?
(a) In a grave.
(b) In a hospital room.
(c) Holding her arms out to welcome him into an embrace.
(d) Standing like a statue at the end of a hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of his father's does David take from the coat in the closet?
2. What does David want his mother to do to him?
3. What decision does David make during the summer of 1978?
4. What is the last thing that David said to his father before he died?
5. Where does David work as a short-order cook?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)