|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the nurse, what is David's first priority relating to his father's stay in the hospital?
(a) Spending time with his father.
(b) Making financial arrangements for hospital bills.
(c) Making funeral arrangements.
(d) Making plans to move his father into a nursing home.
2. What did David's grandmother hear David yelling into a mirror when he was a child?
(a) I hate myself!
(b) I don't deserve your love!
(c) Mother is always right!
(d) I'm a bad boy!
3. What is the last thing that David said to his father before he died?
(a) I'll meet you at the river.
(b) I love you.
(c) I'll go pack your things.
(d) I have some papers to sign.
4. According to David, who is the only one who can save his father?
(b) His father.
(c) No one can save him.
5. Which one of David's brothers does he take out while in town visiting his grandmother?
6. While at his grandmother's, what CAN'T David do?
7. While talking to his father in the hospital, why does David say he joined the Air Force?
(a) To become a pilot and prove that he can be successful.
(b) To get away from his mother.
(c) To become a fireman and honor his father.
(d) To follow the military motto and "be all that he can be."
8. Who admits to calling social services before David was removed from his mother's home?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
9. Who called David at his foster parent's home while taking a break from staying with his father in the hospital?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His father.
10. Why is David's grandmother upset with Russell?
(a) He joins the Marines.
(b) He doesn't call her.
(c) He borrows a metal chest and returns it damaged.
(d) He yells at his mother.
11. What does David's mother tell her mother (David's grandmother) that David did when he visited?
(a) Made his mother cry.
(b) Stormed into the house and tore it up.
(c) Broke her television.
(d) Slapped his brother.
12. What statement does David make at the very end of Chapter 1?
(a) I am ready to die.
(b) I am going to make mom hurt.
(c) I want to stand up for myself.
(d) I am done with hurting.
13. After riding his motorcycle to his grandmother's, where does David end up sleeping on the night he arrives?
(a) In his mother's old bedroom.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) At Russell's house.
(d) On the porch.
14. According to Aunt Jane, times were different in the past and nicknamed what?
(a) The days of ask nothing.
(b) The days of blind bliss.
(c) The days of privacy.
(d) The days of wine and roses.
15. After basic training is completed, what position does David get in the Air Force?
(a) A gunner.
(b) A fireman.
(c) A pilot.
(d) A cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is David at in the beginning of his book?
2. What does David's grandmother compare talking about the past to?
3. While looking at pictures in his mother's bedroom, who is missing in all of the photos?
4. Where does the book begin?
5. During David's nightmares, how does he see his mother?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)