|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is David's grandmother upset with Russell?
(a) He yells at his mother.
(b) He doesn't call her.
(c) He borrows a metal chest and returns it damaged.
(d) He joins the Marines.
2. What happened to the home of David's mother while he was in Egypt?
(a) She sold it.
(b) It was struck by lightening and burned down.
(c) Stan accidently burned it down.
(d) It went into foreclosure.
3. Upon entering the hospital to see David's father, what does the smell remind him of?
(a) Being trapped in a bathroom during his abusive childhood.
(b) His mother's death.
(c) Being in the airplane bathroom.
(d) His grandmother's home.
4. What does David think his father's admittance into the hospital will do for his family?
(a) Bring him closure regarding his abusive family.
(b) Create a relationship between David and his father.
(c) Create a relationship between David and his mother.
(d) Bring his parents back together.
5. According to David's mother, he is not a person. What is he?
(a) An object.
(b) A thing.
(c) A waste.
(d) An animal.
6. Instead of going out during time off from the Air Force, what does David do?
(b) Lie in bed and cry.
(c) Write letters home.
(d) Call all of his family.
7. While staying with his father in the hospital, David goes to see his mother. Who answers the door at his mother's house?
(d) His grandmother.
8. What item of his father's does David take from the coat in the closet?
(a) His father's medicine.
(b) His father's admittance papers.
(c) His father's badge.
(d) His father's medical card.
9. What are the only letters that David regularly receives while in basic training?
(a) Ones from his mother.
(b) Ones marked "Return to Sender."
(c) Ones from his father.
(d) Ones from his brothers.
10. Who is David's "bunk buddy" in the Air Force?
11. Who admits to calling social services before David was removed from his mother's home?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandmother.
12. What is the mission to Egypt nicknamed?
(a) Digger's Dream.
(b) Desert Seige.
(c) Proud Phantom.
(d) Tent Offense.
13. Upon returning to his base after the funeral, what illness does David come down with?
14. Upon entering his mother's home, what smell made David's eyes water?
(b) Cigar smoke.
15. On the day that David runs late for the hospital, what lie does David tell his father?
(a) That his mother is coming to visit.
(b) That he is leaving in an hour.
(c) That his brothers are coming to visit.
(d) That the doctor says he is going to be okay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does David make during the summer of 1978?
2. In the hospital, what story does David tell his father so that he can talk to him without worrying what to say?
3. Why does David call his grandmother when he gets home from Egypt?
4. Who goes to the hospital with David to see his father for the first time?
5. While talking to his father in the hospital, why does David say he joined the Air Force?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)