|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the last words Aunt Jane and David's father (right before David enlisted in the Air Force) said when getting off the phone after telling David that "There are no guarantees in life?"
(a) I am so proud of you.
(b) Be yourself.
(c) I love you.
(d) Don't let it consume you.
2. Why does David call his grandmother when he gets home from Egypt?
(a) To get his aunt's phone number.
(b) To check on his brothers.
(c) To check on his mother.
(d) To see if she got the money he sent her.
3. What is the name of David's foster mother?
(a) Mrs. Zeigler.
(b) Ms. Gold.
(c) Mrs. Freeland.
(d) Mrs. Turnbough.
4. What is the first thing David does upon returning from Egypt?
(a) Call his mother.
(b) Call his grandmother.
(c) Call Russell.
(d) Call Alice.
5. Who called David at his foster parent's home while taking a break from staying with his father in the hospital?
(a) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
6. What is the last thing that David said to his father before he died?
(a) I have some papers to sign.
(b) I love you.
(c) I'll meet you at the river.
(d) I'll go pack your things.
7. Who admits to calling social services before David was removed from his mother's home?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His aunt.
8. What does David describe his knight-in-shining-armor plans as?
(a) Idiotic pipe dreams.
(b) A waste.
(c) Self-sacrificing horridity.
(d) Stupid selfishness.
9. What does David's grandmother say she never did to his mother?
(a) Love her.
(b) Abuse her.
(c) Correct her.
(d) Hug her.
10. Where is David's plane landing at the end of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
(a) San Francisco.
(b) San Antonio.
11. What is the name of the Technical Sergeant, or David's supervisor, that finally tells him he is doing a great job?
12. What item of his father's does David take from the coat in the closet?
(a) His father's medical card.
(b) His father's medicine.
(c) His father's badge.
(d) His father's admittance papers.
13. The last time David saw his father, he showed him his prized possession. What is his father's prized possession?
(a) His retiremant papers.
(b) A photo of his wedding.
(c) His fireman's badge.
(d) David's birth certificate.
14. Why is David sick at the beginning of the second chapter?
(a) Because he is flying.
(b) Because he is going to see his brother.
(c) Because he has cancer.
(d) Because he has pneumonia.
15. After riding his motorcycle to his grandmother's, where does David end up sleeping on the night he arrives?
(a) On the porch.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In his mother's old bedroom.
(d) At Russell's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David refuse to say anything bad about his mother to the nurse?
2. What does David make the nurse promise after she tells him she knows the truth about the abuse?
3. What decision does David make during the summer of 1978?
4. In the autobiography, what does David say is the nickname given to foster children?
5. According to David's mother, who is the man of the house?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)