|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While talking to his father in the hospital, why does David say he joined the Air Force?
(a) To become a fireman and honor his father.
(b) To get away from his mother.
(c) To follow the military motto and "be all that he can be."
(d) To become a pilot and prove that he can be successful.
2. Who wrote the letter that David wished he never received?
(a) His foster mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
3. What does David make the nurse promise after she tells him she knows the truth about the abuse?
(a) That she will never tell.
(b) That she won't tell for today.
(c) That his mom will go to jail.
(d) That she will forget.
4. Why does David call his grandmother when he gets home from Egypt?
(a) To check on his brothers.
(b) To check on his mother.
(c) To get his aunt's phone number.
(d) To see if she got the money he sent her.
5. What does David's mother tell her mother (David's grandmother) that David did when he visited?
(a) Stormed into the house and tore it up.
(b) Broke her television.
(c) Slapped his brother.
(d) Made his mother cry.
6. Who does the enlisting sergeant compare David to?
(a) Christopher Platte.
(b) John Boyd.
(c) Chuck Yeager.
(d) "Tex" Johnston.
7. Who is David's "bunk buddy" in the Air Force?
8. The last time David saw his father, he showed him his prized possession. What is his father's prized possession?
(a) David's birth certificate.
(b) A photo of his wedding.
(c) His retiremant papers.
(d) His fireman's badge.
9. In the hospital, what story does David tell his father so that he can talk to him without worrying what to say?
(a) A story about his enlistment process.
(b) A story about cooking for the Air Force.
(c) A story about their trip to the Russian River.
(d) A story about the day he was rescued from his mother.
10. What does David think his father's admittance into the hospital will do for his family?
(a) Create a relationship between David and his father.
(b) Create a relationship between David and his mother.
(c) Bring his parents back together.
(d) Bring him closure regarding his abusive family.
11. How long is David heavily sedated due to his illness?
(a) Over a month.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Over a week.
12. What is the last thing that David said to his father before he died?
(a) I'll meet you at the river.
(b) I'll go pack your things.
(c) I have some papers to sign.
(d) I love you.
13. How does David cope with his father's death?
14. Where is David at in the beginning of his book?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The basement.
(c) The garage.
(d) His bedroom.
15. What does David want his mother to do to him?
(a) Give him a bath.
(b) Tell him she loves him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Hug him.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at his grandmother's, what CAN'T David do?
2. Instead of going out during time off from the Air Force, what does David do?
3. According to Aunt Jane, times were different in the past and nicknamed what?
4. While speaking about her family, where does David's mother say Ronald is stationed at?
5. What does David describe his knight-in-shining-armor plans as?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)