|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who bought David a bike for Christmas in 1972?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandmother.
2. What statement does David make at the very end of Chapter 1?
(a) I am done with hurting.
(b) I am going to make mom hurt.
(c) I am ready to die.
(d) I want to stand up for myself.
3. What does David's mother tell her mother (David's grandmother) that David did when he visited?
(a) Slapped his brother.
(b) Made his mother cry.
(c) Stormed into the house and tore it up.
(d) Broke her television.
4. What is the name of the Technical Sergeant, or David's supervisor, that finally tells him he is doing a great job?
5. According to David, what word is associated with the highest compliment that his father could give him?
6. After riding his motorcycle to his grandmother's, where does David end up sleeping on the night he arrives?
(a) On the porch.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In his mother's old bedroom.
(d) At Russell's house.
7. After examining David, what does the nurse come to find out is David's real injury?
(a) A crushed larynx.
(b) A swollen Adam's apple.
(c) A crushed nasal passage.
(d) A bruised esophagus.
8. What does David want his mother to do to him?
(a) Give him a bath.
(b) Hug him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Tell him she loves him.
9. What does David describe his knight-in-shining-armor plans as?
(a) A waste.
(b) Idiotic pipe dreams.
(c) Self-sacrificing horridity.
(d) Stupid selfishness.
10. According to David, who is the only one who can save his father?
(c) No one can save him.
(d) His father.
11. Why is David's grandmother upset with Russell?
(a) He borrows a metal chest and returns it damaged.
(b) He doesn't call her.
(c) He yells at his mother.
(d) He joins the Marines.
12. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
(a) David's brother Stan.
(b) David's mother.
(c) David's father.
(d) David's brother Russell.
13. According to the phone call, how long does David's father have left to live?
(a) A month.
(b) A few days.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
14. What was the date that David was placed into protective custody?
(a) December 31, 1973.
(b) March 5, 1973.
(c) August 24, 1979.
(d) January 1, 1974.
15. Where does the book begin?
(a) Daly City, California.
(b) Russian RIver, California.
(c) San Francisco, California.
(d) Red River, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the autobiography, what does David say is the nickname given to foster children?
2. While looking at pictures in his mother's bedroom, who is missing in all of the photos?
3. What does the nurse tell Steve he has to do in order to allow his father to "go?"
4. Who wrote the letter that David wished he never received?
5. According to David's mother, he is not a person. What is he?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)