|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mission to Egypt nicknamed?
(a) Proud Phantom.
(b) Desert Seige.
(c) Digger's Dream.
(d) Tent Offense.
2. Who is David's "bunk buddy" in the Air Force?
3. What book written by Gary Powers does David spend time reading?
(a) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
(b) Operation Overflight.
(c) Animal Farm.
(d) The Sound and the Fury.
4. According to the nurse, what is David's first priority relating to his father's stay in the hospital?
(a) Making funeral arrangements.
(b) Making financial arrangements for hospital bills.
(c) Spending time with his father.
(d) Making plans to move his father into a nursing home.
5. The last time David saw his father, he showed him his prized possession. What is his father's prized possession?
(a) A photo of his wedding.
(b) His retiremant papers.
(c) David's birth certificate.
(d) His fireman's badge.
6. Where does the book begin?
(a) Russian RIver, California.
(b) Red River, California.
(c) San Francisco, California.
(d) Daly City, California.
7. What causes David's father to be hospitalized?
(a) Muscular Dystrophy.
(b) Acute Leukemia.
(d) Ideopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
8. During David's nightmares, how does he see his mother?
(a) In a grave.
(b) In a hospital room.
(c) Standing like a statue at the end of a hall.
(d) Holding her arms out to welcome him into an embrace.
9. Who goes to the hospital with David to see his father for the first time?
(a) His mother.
10. Where does David work as a short-order cook?
(b) Iron Skillet.
(d) Western Sizzler.
11. Why is there no casket at the funeral of David's father?
(a) The hospital refused to release the body.
(b) His body was misplaced at the morgue.
(c) His mother refused to buy a casket.
(d) He was cremated.
12. What statement does David make at the very end of Chapter 1?
(a) I am ready to die.
(b) I want to stand up for myself.
(c) I am going to make mom hurt.
(d) I am done with hurting.
13. According to David's mother, who is the man of the house?
14. What decision does David make during the summer of 1978?
(a) To contact his brothers.
(b) To quit high school.
(c) To become a car salesman.
(d) To see his mother.
15. How does David impress the recruiting officer while filling out his Air Force enlistment papers?
(a) By his courage.
(b) By his physical strength.
(c) By his schooling.
(d) By his knowledge of planes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of going out during time off from the Air Force, what does David do?
2. Upon entering the hospital to see David's father, what does the smell remind him of?
3. While looking at pictures in his mother's bedroom, who is missing in all of the photos?
4. What is the name of the Technical Sergeant, or David's supervisor, that finally tells him he is doing a great job?
5. What are the only letters that David regularly receives while in basic training?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)