|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What statement does David make at the very end of Chapter 1?
(a) I want to stand up for myself.
(b) I am done with hurting.
(c) I am ready to die.
(d) I am going to make mom hurt.
2. What is the name of the Technical Sergeant, or David's supervisor, that finally tells him he is doing a great job?
3. What are the only letters that David regularly receives while in basic training?
(a) Ones from his mother.
(b) Ones from his father.
(c) Ones marked "Return to Sender."
(d) Ones from his brothers.
4. Who called David at his foster parent's home while taking a break from staying with his father in the hospital?
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
5. What is the date of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
(a) October 1, 1979.
(b) August 1, 1979.
(c) October 24, 1979.
(d) August 24, 1979.
6. According to Aunt Jane, times were different in the past and nicknamed what?
(a) The days of privacy.
(b) The days of ask nothing.
(c) The days of blind bliss.
(d) The days of wine and roses.
7. Which one of David's brothers does he take out while in town visiting his grandmother?
8. What does David's grandmother compare talking about the past to?
(a) Teasing a rabid dog.
(b) Entering a beehive.
(c) Opening Hell.
(d) Opening Pandora's box.
9. Who wrote the letter that David wished he never received?
(a) His foster mother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
10. Which one of David's brothers came to the hospital to see their father before David arrived?
11. Who does David find out has died while he was in Egypt?
(b) Uncle Dan.
(c) His mother.
12. What does the nurse tell Steve he has to do in order to allow his father to "go?"
(a) Make sure he knows the funeral plans are taken care of.
(b) Sign the papers to stop treatment.
(c) Tell him he loves him.
(d) Tell him he will be okay and let him go.
13. What is the name of David's foster mother?
(a) Mrs. Zeigler.
(b) Ms. Gold.
(c) Mrs. Turnbough.
(d) Mrs. Freeland.
14. What were the last words Aunt Jane and David's father (right before David enlisted in the Air Force) said when getting off the phone after telling David that "There are no guarantees in life?"
(a) Don't let it consume you.
(b) Be yourself.
(c) I love you.
(d) I am so proud of you.
15. Where does David work as a short-order cook?
(b) Western Sizzler.
(d) Iron Skillet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to the hospital with David to see his father for the first time?
2. According to the phone call, how long does David's father have left to live?
3. What does the enlisting sergeant call David when talking to him about planes?
4. Why is there no casket at the funeral of David's father?
5. According to David's mother, he is not a person. What is he?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)