|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While talking to his father in the hospital, why does David say he joined the Air Force?
(a) To become a pilot and prove that he can be successful.
(b) To follow the military motto and "be all that he can be."
(c) To become a fireman and honor his father.
(d) To get away from his mother.
2. What does David describe his knight-in-shining-armor plans as?
(a) Idiotic pipe dreams.
(b) Stupid selfishness.
(c) Self-sacrificing horridity.
(d) A waste.
3. What is the first thing David does upon returning from Egypt?
(a) Call Alice.
(b) Call his grandmother.
(c) Call his mother.
(d) Call Russell.
4. What decision does David make during the summer of 1978?
(a) To quit high school.
(b) To contact his brothers.
(c) To become a car salesman.
(d) To see his mother.
5. Who does David find out has died while he was in Egypt?
(a) Uncle Dan.
(c) His mother.
6. In the autobiography, what does David say is the nickname given to foster children?
7. What is the name of David's foster mother?
(a) Mrs. Zeigler.
(b) Mrs. Turnbough.
(c) Ms. Gold.
(d) Mrs. Freeland.
8. What is the mission to Egypt nicknamed?
(a) Tent Offense.
(b) Proud Phantom.
(c) Digger's Dream.
(d) Desert Seige.
9. What is the name of the male nurse that meets David to inform him about his father's condition?
10. Why is David's grandmother upset with Russell?
(a) He doesn't call her.
(b) He yells at his mother.
(c) He borrows a metal chest and returns it damaged.
(d) He joins the Marines.
11. Who does the enlisting sergeant compare David to?
(a) "Tex" Johnston.
(b) John Boyd.
(c) Christopher Platte.
(d) Chuck Yeager.
12. Where is David at in the beginning of his book?
(a) The basement.
(b) The garage.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) His bedroom.
13. What does David's mother call him?
14. What is the date of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
(a) August 1, 1979.
(b) October 1, 1979.
(c) August 24, 1979.
(d) October 24, 1979.
15. What were the last words Aunt Jane and David's father (right before David enlisted in the Air Force) said when getting off the phone after telling David that "There are no guarantees in life?"
(a) Be yourself.
(b) I love you.
(c) Don't let it consume you.
(d) I am so proud of you.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at his grandmother's, what CAN'T David do?
2. According to David, who is the only one who can save his father?
3. What are the only letters that David regularly receives while in basic training?
4. What causes David's father to be hospitalized?
5. According to the nurse, what is David's first priority relating to his father's stay in the hospital?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)