|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During David's nightmares, how does he see his mother?
(a) In a grave.
(b) Standing like a statue at the end of a hall.
(c) Holding her arms out to welcome him into an embrace.
(d) In a hospital room.
2. Who is David's aviation mentor?
(a) Michael Marsh.
(b) Michael Timmons.
(c) Scott Trinder.
(d) Timothy Michaels.
3. Upon entering his mother's home, what smell made David's eyes water?
(c) Cigar smoke.
4. What excuse does David's mother come up with to cover up his injuries sustained from being pushed down the stairs?
(a) He tripped.
(b) He fell off his bike.
(c) He was wrestling with his brothers.
(d) He was sleep-walking.
5. How does David impress the recruiting officer while filling out his Air Force enlistment papers?
(a) By his courage.
(b) By his physical strength.
(c) By his schooling.
(d) By his knowledge of planes.
6. What does David think his father's admittance into the hospital will do for his family?
(a) Create a relationship between David and his mother.
(b) Bring him closure regarding his abusive family.
(c) Create a relationship between David and his father.
(d) Bring his parents back together.
7. How long is David heavily sedated due to his illness?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three days.
(c) Over a week.
(d) Over a month.
8. Upon returning to his base after the funeral, what illness does David come down with?
9. What did David's grandmother hear David yelling into a mirror when he was a child?
(a) Mother is always right!
(b) I hate myself!
(c) I don't deserve your love!
(d) I'm a bad boy!
10. While talking to his father in the hospital, why does David say he joined the Air Force?
(a) To become a pilot and prove that he can be successful.
(b) To get away from his mother.
(c) To become a fireman and honor his father.
(d) To follow the military motto and "be all that he can be."
11. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
(a) David's brother Russell.
(b) David's brother Stan.
(c) David's mother.
(d) David's father.
12. Who is David's "bunk buddy" in the Air Force?
13. Where is David at in the beginning of his book?
(a) His bedroom.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The basement.
(d) The garage.
14. How does David cope with his father's death?
15. Where does David's grandmother think he should visit while in town?
(a) Her father's old barber.
(b) Her psychologist.
(c) Her church.
(d) The chapel at the Air Force Academy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to the hospital with David to see his father for the first time?
2. According to David, what word is associated with the highest compliment that his father could give him?
3. The last time David saw his father, he showed him his prized possession. What is his father's prized possession?
4. Where is David's plane landing at the end of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
5. What happened to the home of David's mother while he was in Egypt?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)