|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes to the hospital with David to see his father for the first time?
(b) His mother.
2. Upon entering his mother's home, what smell made David's eyes water?
(b) Cigar smoke.
3. After examining David, what does the nurse come to find out is David's real injury?
(a) A bruised esophagus.
(b) A crushed larynx.
(c) A crushed nasal passage.
(d) A swollen Adam's apple.
4. Why does David call his grandmother when he gets home from Egypt?
(a) To see if she got the money he sent her.
(b) To check on his mother.
(c) To get his aunt's phone number.
(d) To check on his brothers.
5. What is the last thing that David said to his father before he died?
(a) I love you.
(b) I'll go pack your things.
(c) I'll meet you at the river.
(d) I have some papers to sign.
6. What does David's grandmother say she never did to his mother?
(a) Love her.
(b) Correct her.
(c) Hug her.
(d) Abuse her.
7. What item of his father's does David take from the coat in the closet?
(a) His father's medical card.
(b) His father's medicine.
(c) His father's admittance papers.
(d) His father's badge.
8. What happened to the home of David's mother while he was in Egypt?
(a) It went into foreclosure.
(b) She sold it.
(c) It was struck by lightening and burned down.
(d) Stan accidently burned it down.
9. Who bought David a bike for Christmas in 1972?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His father.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His mother.
10. What is the name of David's social worker?
(a) Ms. Gold.
(b) Ms. Silver.
(c) Ms. Free.
(d) Ms. Smith.
11. What was the date that David was placed into protective custody?
(a) December 31, 1973.
(b) January 1, 1974.
(c) March 5, 1973.
(d) August 24, 1979.
12. Instead of going out during time off from the Air Force, what does David do?
(a) Call all of his family.
(b) Lie in bed and cry.
(d) Write letters home.
13. What does David describe his knight-in-shining-armor plans as?
(a) Self-sacrificing horridity.
(b) Idiotic pipe dreams.
(c) A waste.
(d) Stupid selfishness.
14. What does the enlisting sergeant call David when talking to him about planes?
15. During David's nightmares, how does he see his mother?
(a) In a grave.
(b) In a hospital room.
(c) Holding her arms out to welcome him into an embrace.
(d) Standing like a statue at the end of a hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David's mother call him?
2. David's grandmother is very hard on Stan. Why is David angry about her lack of patience with Stan?
3. What does David's mother tell her mother (David's grandmother) that David did when he visited?
4. What are the only letters that David regularly receives while in basic training?
5. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)