|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the nurse tell Steve he has to do in order to allow his father to "go?"
(a) Tell him he will be okay and let him go.
(b) Sign the papers to stop treatment.
(c) Make sure he knows the funeral plans are taken care of.
(d) Tell him he loves him.
2. What are the two names that David calls his mother?
(a) Mommy and The Mother.
(b) Mommy and Mom.
(c) Mom and The Monster.
(d) Mother and The Monster.
3. What is the date of the second chapter "Fly Away?"
(a) October 24, 1979.
(b) October 1, 1979.
(c) August 24, 1979.
(d) August 1, 1979.
4. After basic training is completed, what position does David get in the Air Force?
(a) A pilot.
(b) A gunner.
(c) A cook.
(d) A fireman.
5. What does David's grandmother say she never did to his mother?
(a) Love her.
(b) Abuse her.
(c) Correct her.
(d) Hug her.
6. What is the name of the Technical Sergeant, or David's supervisor, that finally tells him he is doing a great job?
7. How does David impress the recruiting officer while filling out his Air Force enlistment papers?
(a) By his schooling.
(b) By his courage.
(c) By his knowledge of planes.
(d) By his physical strength.
8. After examining David, what does the nurse come to find out is David's real injury?
(a) A crushed nasal passage.
(b) A bruised esophagus.
(c) A swollen Adam's apple.
(d) A crushed larynx.
9. What causes David's father to be hospitalized?
(a) Ideopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
(b) Muscular Dystrophy.
(d) Acute Leukemia.
10. Who does the enlisting sergeant compare David to?
(a) Chuck Yeager.
(b) John Boyd.
(c) "Tex" Johnston.
(d) Christopher Platte.
11. What does David describe his knight-in-shining-armor plans as?
(a) A waste.
(b) Stupid selfishness.
(c) Idiotic pipe dreams.
(d) Self-sacrificing horridity.
12. According to David, who is the only one who can save his father?
(a) His father.
(d) No one can save him.
13. What decision does David make during the summer of 1978?
(a) To contact his brothers.
(b) To quit high school.
(c) To become a car salesman.
(d) To see his mother.
14. Much to David's surprise, how long has his father been in the hospital?
(a) Four months.
(b) Four days.
(c) Four years.
(d) Four weeks.
15. Who calls Alice to tell her about the admittance of David's father into the hospital?
(a) David's mother.
(b) David's brother Russell.
(c) David's brother Stan.
(d) David's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is David's aviation mentor?
2. What does David think his father's admittance into the hospital will do for his family?
3. What book written by Gary Powers does David spend time reading?
4. How does David cope with his father's death?
5. After riding his motorcycle to his grandmother's, where does David end up sleeping on the night he arrives?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)