|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ove order at the cafe in Chapter 29: “A Man Called Ove and a Bender”?
2. What does Ove ask Parvaneh if she has when he visits her in the end of Chapter 26: “A Man Called Ove and a Society where No-one Can Repair a Bicycle Any More”?
3. Who tells the man in the white shirt that they have all of his bank statements from the past seven years in Chapter 35: “A Man Called Ove and Social Incompetence”?
4. Who won the "Great Tree Conflict," according to the narrator in Chapter 28: “A Man Who Was Ove and a Man Who Was Rune”?
5. What are the drawings of that cover the walls of Parvaneh's seven-year-old daughter, according to the narrator in Chapter 36: “A Man Called Ove and a Whisky”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has prevented Ove from committing suicide in Chapter 31: “A Man Called Ove Reverses with a Trailer. Again.”?
2. What preparations does Ove make for his suicide in Chapter 32: “A Man Called Ove Isn’t Running a Damned Hotel”?
3. Why have Adrian and Mirsad come to Ove's house in Chapter 32: “A Man Called Ove Isn’t Running a Damned Hotel”?
4. Why does Ove go in search of corrogated iron in Chapter 25: “A Man Called Ove and a Piece of Corrugated Iron”?
5. What causes Ove to decide not to kill himself in Chapter 24: “A Man Called Ove and a Brat who Paints in Color”?
6. How does Ove respond when he learns how long Anita has been fighting the authorities in Chapter 33: “A Man Called Ove and an Inspection Tour That Is Not the Usual”? Why?
7. How does Parvaneh respond when she discovers Lena locked in the garage in Chapter 22: “A Man Called Ove and Someone in a Garage”?
8. What is revealed of Jimmy's history in Chapter 34: “A Man Called Ove and a Boy in the House Next Door”?
9. What gift does Ove give to Parvaneh in Chapter 34: “A Man Called Ove and Social Incompetence”? How does she respond to the gift?
10. Why do Ove and Parvaneh go to the cafe in Chapter 29: “A Man Called Ove and a Bender”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters of Adrian and Mirsad in A Man Called Ove. Where does Ove first meet these characters? How and why does Ove become involved with these characters? How do their relationships evolve in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Tom in the novel. In what ways is Tom the opposite of Ove? What motivates Tom's actions in the story? What becomes of Tom?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ove's history and friendship with Rune. How did Ove and Rune meet? What was the basis of their friendship? What began the rivalry between Ove and Rune?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)