|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ove demand from Anita when he goes to her house in Chapter 33: “A Man Called Ove and an Inspection Tour That Is Not the Usual”?
2. What catches Ove's eye when he steps into the hallway in the end of Chapter 32: “A Man Called Ove Isn’t Running a Damned Hotel”?
3. What does the narrator say that Sonja fought for in Chapter 23: “A Man Who Was Ove and a Bus that Never Got There”?
4. What does Ove give to Parvaneh in Chapter 35: “A Man Called Ove and Social Incompetence”?
5. What is Jimmy wearing when he encounters Ove in the beginning of Chapter 33: “A Man Called Ove and an Inspection Tour That Is Not the Usual”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lena come to interview Ove? How does he respond to her questions?
2. How does Ove respond to the honking SUV in Chapter 27: “A Man Called Ove and a Driving Lesson”?
3. What did Ove discover in the envelope that Lena had sent to him in Chapter 37: “A Man Called Ove and a Lot of Bastards Sticking Their Noses In”?
4. What causes Ove to decide not to kill himself in Chapter 24: “A Man Called Ove and a Brat who Paints in Color”?
5. How did Sonja handle her disability after the accident? How did Ove handle it?
6. How does Parvaneh respond when she discovers Lena locked in the garage in Chapter 22: “A Man Called Ove and Someone in a Garage”?
7. What metaphor is used to describe the process of falling in love in Chapter 36: “A Man Called Ove and a Whisky”?
8. How does Ove feel about automobiles and different brands of automobiles?
9. What preparations does Ove make for his suicide in Chapter 32: “A Man Called Ove Isn’t Running a Damned Hotel”?
10. What characters are introduced at the cafe in Chapter 29: “A Man Called Ove and a Bender”? How are they described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What leads to Ove's hospitalization at the end of the novel? For how long is Ove hospitalized? Who stays with Ove at the hospital? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of grief and loss in A Man Called Ove. How does the author explore these themes through symbolism and imagery? How are the themes illustrated through character and action?
Essay Topic 3
What heroic acts does Ove perform in A Man Called Ove? What do you think each of these acts symbolizes? What motivates Ove to commit these acts?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)