|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How frequently does Ove say one must change one's car in order to avoid losing money in Chapter 36: “A Man Called Ove and a Whisky”?
2. How old was Jimmy when Ove and Rune ran off his mother's abusive boyfriend, according to the narrator in Chapter 34: “A Man Called Ove and a Boy in the House Next Door"?
3. Where is the hiding place that Ove keeps his rifle?
4. What does the teenage postman say he is saving money for in Chapter 26: “A Man Called Ove and a Society where No-one Can Repair a Bicycle Any More”?
5. In Chapter 32: “A Man Called Ove Isn’t Running a Damned Hotel” the narrator says, "Sonja said once that to understand men like Ove and Rune, one had to understand from the very beginning that they were men caught in" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor is used to describe the process of falling in love in Chapter 36: “A Man Called Ove and a Whisky”?
2. What does the man in the white shirt discover when he returns for his car in Chapter 34: “A Man Called Ove and a Boy in the House Next Door”? What has happened to the car?
3. What did Ove discover in the envelope that Lena had sent to him in Chapter 37: “A Man Called Ove and a Lot of Bastards Sticking Their Noses In”?
4. How does Ove enact revenge against the man in the white shirt in Chapter 31: “A Man Called Ove Reverses with a Trailer. Again.”?
5. What causes Ove to decide not to kill himself in Chapter 24: “A Man Called Ove and a Brat who Paints in Color”?
6. How does Ove respond to the honking SUV in Chapter 27: “A Man Called Ove and a Driving Lesson”?
7. Why does Ove go in search of corrogated iron in Chapter 25: “A Man Called Ove and a Piece of Corrugated Iron”?
8. How is Nasanin's drawing described in Chapter 24: “A Man Called Ove and a Brat who Paints in Color”?
9. How does Ove respond when he learns how long Anita has been fighting the authorities in Chapter 33: “A Man Called Ove and an Inspection Tour That Is Not the Usual”? Why?
10. How did Sonja handle her disability after the accident? How did Ove handle it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Lena in A Man Called Ove. Why does Lena attempt to interview Ove? What obstacles does she face in doing so? How does Lena eventually gain her objective?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism surrounding the Cat Annoyance in A Man Called Ove. When and where does Ove first encounter the cat? What kind of relationship does Ove form with the cat? Why do you think that Ove keeps the cat around?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot structure of A Man Called Ove. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition into rising action? What event sets off the rising action? Where is the climax? What is revealed in the falling action and denouement?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)