|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What catches Ove's eye when he steps into the hallway in the end of Chapter 32: “A Man Called Ove Isn’t Running a Damned Hotel”?
2. Where are BMW cars produced?
3. Where does Adrian say his father is in Chapter 29: “A Man Called Ove and a Bender”?
4. When did Sonja say was the only time that Ove had admitted he was wrong, according to the narrator in Chapter 36: “A Man Called Ove and a Whisky”?
5. About how old is Lena described as when she appears in Chapter 20: “A Man Called Ove and an Intruder”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Ove give to Parvaneh in Chapter 34: “A Man Called Ove and Social Incompetence”? How does she respond to the gift?
2. How did Sonja handle her disability after the accident? How did Ove handle it?
3. How did Sonja become paralyzed?
4. What is revealed of Jimmy's history in Chapter 34: “A Man Called Ove and a Boy in the House Next Door”?
5. What causes Ove to decide not to kill himself in Chapter 24: “A Man Called Ove and a Brat who Paints in Color”?
6. How does Ove respond when he learns how long Anita has been fighting the authorities in Chapter 33: “A Man Called Ove and an Inspection Tour That Is Not the Usual”? Why?
7. Who accompanies Ove on his inspection tour in Chapter 33: “A Man Called Ove and an Inspection Tour That Is Not the Usual”? Why?
8. How does Ove feel about automobiles and different brands of automobiles?
9. What did Ove do during Sonja's siestas in Spain?
10. What has prevented Ove from committing suicide in Chapter 31: “A Man Called Ove Reverses with a Trailer. Again.”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the language style in A Man Called Ove. What are examples of literary devices such as alliteration, assonance, onomatopoeia, simile, metaphor, etc. in the narrative? How well do you think the novel translates from Swedish to English? How does the language in the narrative reflect upon the novel's characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of grief and loss in A Man Called Ove. How does the author explore these themes through symbolism and imagery? How are the themes illustrated through character and action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Jimmy in A Man Called Ove. What is the story of Jimmy's history in the neighborhood? How did Sonja care for Jimmy after his mother's death? What role does Jimmy play in the main plot?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)