|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Lena say she is going skating on the lake in Chapter 37: “A Man Called Ove and a Lot of Bastards Sticking Their Noses In”?
2. Where does Adrian run when Ove opens the door holding a rifle in Chapter 32: “A Man Called Ove Isn’t Running a Damned Hotel”?
3. What does Ove ask Parvaneh if she has when he visits her in the end of Chapter 26: “A Man Called Ove and a Society where No-one Can Repair a Bicycle Any More”?
4. Where is the hiding place that Ove keeps his rifle?
5. Why does Parvaneh say Nasanin always draws Ove in color in Chapter 24: “A Man Called Ove and a Brat who Paints in Color”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Parvaneh respond when she discovers Lena locked in the garage in Chapter 22: “A Man Called Ove and Someone in a Garage”?
2. How is the relationship between Rune, Anita, and their son described in Chapter 28: “A Man Who Was Ove and a Man Who Was Rune”?
3. Why do Ove and Parvaneh go to the cafe in Chapter 29: “A Man Called Ove and a Bender”?
4. What does the young mailman say to Ove about Sonja in Chapter 26: “A Man Called Ove and a Society where No-one Can Repair a Bicycle Any More”?
5. How does Ove enact revenge against the man in the white shirt in Chapter 31: “A Man Called Ove Reverses with a Trailer. Again.”?
6. How is Nasanin's drawing described in Chapter 24: “A Man Called Ove and a Brat who Paints in Color”?
7. What did Ove discover in the envelope that Lena had sent to him in Chapter 37: “A Man Called Ove and a Lot of Bastards Sticking Their Noses In”?
8. What preparations does Ove make for his suicide in Chapter 32: “A Man Called Ove Isn’t Running a Damned Hotel”?
9. What gift does Ove give to Parvaneh in Chapter 34: “A Man Called Ove and Social Incompetence”? How does she respond to the gift?
10. What did Ove do during Sonja's siestas in Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot structure of A Man Called Ove. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition into rising action? What event sets off the rising action? Where is the climax? What is revealed in the falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Tom in the novel. In what ways is Tom the opposite of Ove? What motivates Tom's actions in the story? What becomes of Tom?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Ove as the protagonist of the novel. What attributes make Ove stand out as a protagonist? How does Ove's character evolve in the course of the story? What discoveries does Ove make?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)