|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the younger child who brings Ove food in Chapter 3: “A Man Called Ove Reverses With A Trailer”?
2. How old are the children who bring Ove food in Chapter 3: “A Man Called Ove Reverses With A Trailer”?
3. On what day of the week did Ove's wife die?
4. How old is Ove described as in Chapter 1: “A Man Called Ove Buys A Computer That Is Not A Computer”?
5. Who taught Ove to fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sonja reveal to Ove in the end of Chapter 18: “A Man Who Was Ove and a Cat Called Ernest”? How did Ove respond?
2. What are the things about Ove's wife that bother him, according to the narrative in Chapter 4: “A Man Called Ove Does Not Pay A Three-Crown Surcharge”?
3. Why does Parvaneh ask Ove for additional help around her house in Chapter 13: “A Man Called Ove and a Clown Called Beppo”?
4. What foreshadowing is seen in Chapter 7: “A Man Called Ove Drills a Hole for a Hook”?
5. What connection occurs between Ove and the Cat Annoyance in Chapter 19: “A Man Called Ove and a Cat That Was Broken When He Came”?
6. What prevents Ove from achieving his objective at the train station in Chapter 15: “A Man Called Ove and a Delayed Train”?
7. What causes the conflict between Ove and the Blond Weed in Chapter 6: “A Man Called Ove and a Bicycle that Should Have Been Left where Bicycles are Left”?
8. What did Ove admit to Sonja on their first dinner date in Chapter 14: “A Man Who Was Ove and a Woman On A Train"? How did Sonja respond?
9. How is Ove's relationship with his father described in the novel?
10. How does Ove intend to commit suicide in Chapter 11: “A Man Called Ove and a Lanky One who can’t Open a Window Without Falling Off a Ladder”? What prevents him from doing so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss examples of irony in A Man Called Ove. What are examples of dramatic irony in the story? What are examples of verbal irony employed by the author? What situational irony can be seen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the language style in A Man Called Ove. What are examples of literary devices such as alliteration, assonance, onomatopoeia, simile, metaphor, etc. in the narrative? How well do you think the novel translates from Swedish to English? How does the language in the narrative reflect upon the novel's characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot structure of A Man Called Ove. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition into rising action? What event sets off the rising action? Where is the climax? What is revealed in the falling action and denouement?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)