|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Tom been caught doing when Ove was 18 in Chapter 8: “A Man who was Ove and a Pair of His Father’s Old Footprints”?
2. How old is Jimmy said to be in Chapter 6: “A Man Called Ove and a Bicycle that Should Have Been Left where Bicycles are Left”?
3. What job did the director offer to Ove in Chapter 8: “A Man who was Ove and a Pair of His Father’s Old Footprints”?
4. Where does the Lanky One say his wife is from in Chapter 7: “A Man Called Ove Drills a Hole for a Hook”?
5. What is the name of the younger child who brings Ove food in Chapter 3: “A Man Called Ove Reverses With A Trailer”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the things about Ove's wife that bother him, according to the narrative in Chapter 4: “A Man Called Ove Does Not Pay A Three-Crown Surcharge”?
2. How does Ove intend to commit suicide in Chapter 11: “A Man Called Ove and a Lanky One who can’t Open a Window Without Falling Off a Ladder”? What prevents him from doing so?
3. Why does Ove end up parking the car and trailer in Chapter 3: “A Man Called Ove Reverses With A Trailer”?
4. Why does Ove end up barred from the hospital lobby in Chapter 13: “A Man Called Ove and a Clown Called Beppo”?
5. How is Sonja's father described in Chapter 16: “A Man Who Was Ove and a Truck in the Forest”?
6. How does Parvaneh respond when she observes the cat in Chapter 17: “A Man Called Ove and a Cat Annoyance in a Snowdrift”?
7. How are Ove and his wife compared with one another in Chapter 5: “A Man Called Ove”?
8. What ultimately led to Ove being forced to sell his parents' homestead in Chapter 10: “A Man who was Ove and a House that Ove Built”?
9. What connection occurs between Ove and the Cat Annoyance in Chapter 19: “A Man Called Ove and a Cat That Was Broken When He Came”?
10. What foreshadowing is seen in Chapter 7: “A Man Called Ove Drills a Hole for a Hook”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of grief and loss in A Man Called Ove. How does the author explore these themes through symbolism and imagery? How are the themes illustrated through character and action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Patrick in the novel. What does Patrick do for a living? How would you describe his relationships with his wife and children? What has brought Patrick to the neighborhood?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Adrian and Mirsad in A Man Called Ove. Where does Ove first meet these characters? How and why does Ove become involved with these characters? How do their relationships evolve in the novel?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)