|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did the director offer to Ove in Chapter 8: “A Man who was Ove and a Pair of His Father’s Old Footprints”?
2. What literary device is employed in this sentence from Chapter 1: “A Man Called Ove Buys A Computer That Is Not A Computer”: "He's the kind of man who points at people he doesn't like the look of, as if they were burglars and his forefinger a policeman's flashlight"?
3. What did Ove admit to lying to his future wife about on their first date?
4. How old is Ove described as in Chapter 1: “A Man Called Ove Buys A Computer That Is Not A Computer”?
5. What kind of computer does the salesman suggest Ove purchase in Chapter 1: “A Man Called Ove Buys A Computer That Is Not A Computer”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ove become frustrated about the rope in Chapter 9: “A Man Called Ove Bleeds a Radiator”?
2. Why does Ove end up parking the car and trailer in Chapter 3: “A Man Called Ove Reverses With A Trailer”?
3. Why does Ove go to the train station in Chapter 15: “A Man Called Ove and a Delayed Train”?
4. Why do Parvaneh and Patrick visit Ove in Chapter 7: “A Man Called Ove Drills a Hole for a Hook”?
5. Why does Ove become frustrated and angry in Chapter 1: “A Man Called Ove Buys A Computer That Is Not A Computer”?
6. Why does Ove cancel his newspaper and telephone subscriptions in Chapter 2: “(Three Weeks Earlier) A Man Called Ove Makes His Neighborhood Inspection”?
7. How are Ove and his wife compared with one another in Chapter 5: “A Man Called Ove”?
8. How is Ove's relationship with his father described in the novel?
9. How is Sonja's father described in Chapter 16: “A Man Who Was Ove and a Truck in the Forest”?
10. What happened during Ove's encounter with Tom in Chapter 12: “A Man who was Ove and One Day He Had Enough”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss examples of irony in A Man Called Ove. What are examples of dramatic irony in the story? What are examples of verbal irony employed by the author? What situational irony can be seen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ove's relationship with his wife Sonja. When and where did Ove and Sonja meet? What differences are pointed out between these characters? Would you describe their relationship as a happy one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the language style in A Man Called Ove. What are examples of literary devices such as alliteration, assonance, onomatopoeia, simile, metaphor, etc. in the narrative? How well do you think the novel translates from Swedish to English? How does the language in the narrative reflect upon the novel's characters?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)