|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the children's book about that Ove attempts to read to Parveneh's children in Chapter 13: “A Man Called Ove and a Clown Called Beppo”?
2. Where does the narrator say Ove left his envelope with its instructions before leaving his house for the train station in Chapter 15: “A Man Called Ove and a Delayed Train”?
3. What does Parvaneh say her name means in Chapter 17: “A Man Called Ove and a Cat Annoyance in a Snowdrift”?
4. On what day of the week was Ove told that he was being forced into retirement?
5. Where does the narrator say Ove slept in the nights after his house burned in Chapter 12: “A Man who was Ove and One Day He Had Enough”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Parvaneh and Patrick visit Ove in Chapter 7: “A Man Called Ove Drills a Hole for a Hook”?
2. Why was Ove rejected for military duty? How did this rejection impact him?
3. How does Ove intend to commit suicide in Chapter 11: “A Man Called Ove and a Lanky One who can’t Open a Window Without Falling Off a Ladder”? What prevents him from doing so?
4. Why does Parvaneh ask Ove for additional help around her house in Chapter 13: “A Man Called Ove and a Clown Called Beppo”?
5. Why does Ove become frustrated about the rope in Chapter 9: “A Man Called Ove Bleeds a Radiator”?
6. How does Parvaneh respond when she observes the cat in Chapter 17: “A Man Called Ove and a Cat Annoyance in a Snowdrift”?
7. What did Tom accuse Ove of when Ove was 18? How did Ove respond to the situation?
8. What did Ove admit to Sonja on their first dinner date in Chapter 14: “A Man Who Was Ove and a Woman On A Train"? How did Sonja respond?
9. How is Ove's relationship with his father described in the novel?
10. What causes the conflict between Ove and the Blond Weed in Chapter 6: “A Man Called Ove and a Bicycle that Should Have Been Left where Bicycles are Left”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What heroic acts does Ove perform in A Man Called Ove? What do you think each of these acts symbolizes? What motivates Ove to commit these acts?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Ove's repeated attempts at suicide in the novel? How does Ove attempt to kill himself? Why? What prevents him from doing so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Jimmy in A Man Called Ove. What is the story of Jimmy's history in the neighborhood? How did Sonja care for Jimmy after his mother's death? What role does Jimmy play in the main plot?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)