|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color eyes did Ove's wife have?
2. Where does the narrator say Ove left his envelope with its instructions before leaving his house for the train station in Chapter 15: “A Man Called Ove and a Delayed Train”?
(a) On his bedside table.
(b) On the mat inside his door.
(c) On his living room sofa.
(d) On his kitchen table.
3. What does Ove do to the clown in Chapter 13: “A Man Called Ove and a Clown Called Beppo”?
(a) He pays him.
(b) He hits him.
(c) He asks him to dinner.
(d) He trips him.
4. What did the workers at the construction site give to Ove when he left his job in Chapter 12: “A Man who was Ove and One Day He Had Enough”?
(a) A toolbox with tools.
(b) A suit and coat.
(c) 5,000 kroner.
(d) A bag of food.
5. Where did Ove's mother work before she died?
(a) A butcher shop.
(b) A brickmaking plant.
(c) A chemical plant.
(d) A textile factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device is employed in this sentence from Chapter 1: “A Man Called Ove Buys A Computer That Is Not A Computer”: "He's the kind of man who points at people he doesn't like the look of, as if they were burglars and his forefinger a policeman's flashlight"?
2. How has Ove planned to kill himself in Chapter 15: “A Man Called Ove and a Delayed Train”?
3. Who is Ove's overweight neighbor that attempts to help warm the cat in Chapter 17: “A Man Called Ove and a Cat Annoyance in a Snowdrift”?
4. How long ago was the funeral for Ove's wife, according to the narrator in Chapter 6: “A Man Called Ove and a Bicycle that Should Have Been Left where Bicycles are Left”?
5. Why does Ove's neighbor ask for a lift to the hospital in “A Man Called Ove and a Lanky One who can’t Open a Window Without Falling Off a Ladder”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ultimately led to Ove being forced to sell his parents' homestead in Chapter 10: “A Man who was Ove and a House that Ove Built”?
2. What job was Ove offered after he was let go from the railway yard? Why was he offered this job?
3. How does Parvaneh respond when she observes the cat in Chapter 17: “A Man Called Ove and a Cat Annoyance in a Snowdrift”?
4. What foreshadowing is seen in Chapter 7: “A Man Called Ove Drills a Hole for a Hook”?
5. Why do Parvaneh and Patrick visit Ove in Chapter 7: “A Man Called Ove Drills a Hole for a Hook”?
6. How does Ove intend to commit suicide in Chapter 11: “A Man Called Ove and a Lanky One who can’t Open a Window Without Falling Off a Ladder”? What prevents him from doing so?
7. How are Ove and his wife compared with one another in Chapter 5: “A Man Called Ove”?
8. Why does Ove end up barred from the hospital lobby in Chapter 13: “A Man Called Ove and a Clown Called Beppo”?
9. What led to Ove's hatred of men in white shirts?
10. What incident during Ove's childhood led to the animosity between him and Tom?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)