|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator say Ove slept in the nights after his house burned in Chapter 12: “A Man who was Ove and One Day He Had Enough”?
(a) His parents' house.
(b) In his car.
(c) A hotel.
(d) His neighbor's house.
2. What position has Tom been promoted to at the railway in Chapter 8: “A Man who was Ove and a Pair of His Father’s Old Footprints”?
3. What literary device is employed in this sentence from Chapter 1: “A Man Called Ove Buys A Computer That Is Not A Computer”: "He's the kind of man who points at people he doesn't like the look of, as if they were burglars and his forefinger a policeman's flashlight"?
4. Who is Ove's overweight neighbor that attempts to help warm the cat in Chapter 17: “A Man Called Ove and a Cat Annoyance in a Snowdrift”?
5. Who wrote The Old Man and the Sea?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
6. What did Ove's elderly neighbor leave for him on his front porch after Ove painted his fence in Chapter 10: “A Man who was Ove and a House that Ove Built”?
(a) A Bible.
(b) An apple pie.
(c) A set of car keys.
(d) A plate of cookies.
7. What was the name of the cat that Ove's wife kept at her father's house?
8. What kind of car does Anders drive?
9. What is Ove intending to do with the hook in Chapter 7: “A Man Called Ove Drills a Hole for a Hook”?
(a) He intends to hang a sign from the hook.
(b) He intends to hang a plant from the hook.
(c) He intends to hang himself from the hook.
(d) He intends to hang a chandelier from the hook.
10. How old was Ove when he passed his driving test, according to the narrator in Chapter 10: “A Man who was Ove and a House that Ove Built”?
11. What time was it when Ove first saw the woman who would become his wife, according to the narrator in Chapter 14: “A Man Who Was Ove and a Woman On A Train”?
(a) 7:30 p.m.
(b) 5:45 a.m.
(c) 6:30 a.m.
(d) 8:00 a.m.
12. Where did Ove's mother work before she died?
(a) A chemical plant.
(b) A brickmaking plant.
(c) A textile factory.
(d) A butcher shop.
13. What was Ove's future wife studying to become when she met Ove?
(a) A banker.
(b) A painter.
(c) A secretary.
(d) A teacher.
14. What does Ove call the parking attendant at the hospital in Chapter 13: “A Man Called Ove and a Clown Called Beppo”?
(a) A hero.
(b) A fake policeman.
(c) A clown.
(d) An utter imbecile.
15. What did Ove use to repair the work truck during a downpour, according to the narrator in Chapter 8: “A Man who was Ove and a Pair of His Father’s Old Footprints”?
(a) Duct tape and electrical tape.
(b) A screwdriver and half a roll of gauze tape.
(c) A muslin cloth and a pair of scissors.
(d) A hammer and a ratchet.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the opening of Chapter 9: “A Man Called Ove Bleeds a Radiator” the narrator states, "They say the brain functions quicker while it's" what?
2. What is the Blond Weed doing when Ove encounters her in Chapter 6: “A Man Called Ove and a Bicycle that Should Have Been Left where Bicycles are Left”?
3. What did Tom steal from Ove while he was in the showers in Chapter 12: “A Man who was Ove and One Day He Had Enough”?
4. In what narrative tense is Chapter 2: “(Three Weeks Earlier) A Man Called Ove Makes His Neighborhood Inspection” related?
5. What does Ove give his overweight neighbor to eat in Chapter 17: “A Man Called Ove and a Cat Annoyance in a Snowdrift”?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)