|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does the following quote belong,"I therefore have decked myself out in finery so that I might be in the company of a fine young man?"
2. Which of the following best describes the lover's state in "We are our own demons?"
(a) Tired of life and its demons.
(b) Possessed by inner demons.
(c) Indulging in many temptations.
(d) Triumphant over his inner demons
3. In "Inexpressible Love," what two powerful myths does the author mention?
(a) That true love can never be found and that only poets can write about love.
(b) That true love is eternal and that it is the most ancient story to tell.
(c) That writing about love heals the heart and that everyone has a soulmate.
(d) That sublimated love engenders beautiful discourse and that one can write about one's passion.
4. What kind of acts does the lover perform in The Last Leaf/Magic.
(a) Acts of selfless love.
(b) Magic consultations, secret rites, and votive actions.
(c) Meditations, contemplations, and silences.
(d) Acts of infidelity.
5. What image does the author evoke to represent the "exuberance" that results from constantly expending love?
(a) A vast desert.
(b) A wild ocean.
(c) A deep well.
(d) An overflowing fountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of this section, which to spaces or realities does the author oppose?
2. What does that composer claim regarding tears?
3. What is another name used in The Ribbon/Objects to describe the lover's attachment to an object that belonged to the beloved?
4. How does Werther fall in love with Charlotte in the section "Show me whom to desire/Induction?"
5. What topic does the figure I Love You discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the type of jealousy displayed by Werther in the figure Jealousy.
2. Briefly describe the process of induction in the figure "Show me whom to desire"/Induction.
3. In The Dedication, how does the act of giving follow "the family model"?
4. In Love's Languor/Languor, how is the Satyr contrasted with languor?
5. In Inexpressible Love/To Write, what does the narrator suggest when he says "I cannot write myself"?
6. List some of the scenarios described by the narrator to illustrate the sense of disreality in The World Thunderstruck/Disreality.
7. Describe the lover's struggle with demons in "We are our own demons"/Demons.
8. What object does the lover compare himself to in This can't go on/Unbearable?
9. "I am crazy"/Mad: How is the lover's madness metaphorical?
10. Describe the scenario in At Fault/Faults between the lover and the loved one at the train station.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)