|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the "ghost ship," in the section entitled The Ghost Ship/Errantry refer?
(a) The errant lover wanders from love to love, believing in the quest for fulfillment.
(b) The lover becomes a ghost of his former self.
(c) The lover dreams of sailing the world with the object of desire.
(d) The lover is haunted by terrible memories.
2. In "Dedication," what effect can writing, as a form of amorous dedication, have on the other?
(a) It can inspire tenderness.
(b) It can smother the other.
(c) It can leave the other cold.
(d) It can make the other vain.
3. In Jealousy, what does Werther's jealousy derive from, according to the author?
(a) From lack of knowledge.
(b) From images.
(c) From insecurity.
(d) From thoughts.
4. What clothing is Werther wearing when he first dances with Charlotte?
(a) A formal black suit.
(b) A white shirt and riding boots.
(c) Old work clothes.
(d) A blue coat and yellow vest.
5. What does that composer claim regarding tears?
(a) Never let your lover see you cry.
(b) Poetry is more eloquent than tears.
(c) One tear will say more than words.
(d) Tears are for the weak and unmanly.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "I am odious"/Monstrous, what does the lover refer to when he says, "I am odious?"
2. In the section called Fade-out, where does the other's fade-out reside?
3. What does the author note about crying in the modern era?
4. Which of the following characterizes the figure "night" in the section "And the night illuminated the night"/Night?
5. How does Werther fall in love with Charlotte in the section "Show me whom to desire/Induction?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the section Fade-Out connect the loved beings withdrawal with the Mother?
2. Describe the lover's struggle with demons in "We are our own demons"/Demons.
3. List some of the scenarios described by the narrator to illustrate the sense of disreality in The World Thunderstruck/Disreality.
4. Briefly describe the process of induction in the figure "Show me whom to desire"/Induction.
5. Describe the relation between the informer, the lover, and the loved being in The Informer.
6. In The Ghost Ship/Errantry, why is the lover doomed to wander?
7. In the section I Love You, what happens to the amorous subject when he finally here's the words "I love you" returned to him? Cite a couple examples.
8. In Domnei/Dependency, what does the lover mean when he says: "I am twice subject?"
9. Describe the type of jealousy displayed by Werther in the figure Jealousy.
10. In Images, what is the lover's relationship to visual images he sees?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)