|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "ordeal" described in the section called Fade-out.
(a) The loved being's physical beauty begins to fade.
(b) For no apparent reason the loved being withdraws from all contact.
(c) The lover's favorite jeans fade.
(d) The loved being's mother dies.
2. At Fault/faults, describes the lover's feeling of guilt that results from which of the following feelings?
(a) The subject imagines he has failed the loved being by thinking for himself..
(b) The subject accuses the other of something he did not do.
(c) The subject is unfaithful to the loved being.
(d) The subject forgets an important date with the other.
3. In Love's Obscenity/Obscene, what gets characterized as obscene in contemporary society?
4. What is the narrator's definition of the image in the section Images?
(a) A visual feast.
(b) That from which I am excluded.
(c) The lover's fantasy of the beloved.
(d) A romantic painting.
5. Which author does the quotation "And the night illuminated the night" come from?
(b) John of the Cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Domnei," which two things is the narrator subject to?
2. Which of the following best describes the lover's state in "We are our own demons?"
3. In "Dedication," the author presents an internal dialogue that accompanies which of the following acts?
4. In Blue Coat and Yellow Vest/habiliment, what specifically does the "blue coat and yellow vest" refer to?
5. To what does the "ghost ship," in the section entitled The Ghost Ship/Errantry refer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the type of jealousy displayed by Werther in the figure Jealousy.
2. Describe the lover's process of identification, as seen in the character Werther, in the section entitled Identifications.
3. The Unknowable has to do with the lover's ability, or lack thereof, to know the other: what conclusion does the lover come to in this section?
4. In Images, what is the lover's relationship to visual images he sees?
5. Briefly state what Werther writes in his letter to Charlotte and what it signifies in The Love Letter/Letter.
6. In The Ghost Ship/Errantry, why is the lover doomed to wander?
7. Describe the scenario in At Fault/Faults between the lover and the loved one at the train station.
8. "Looking embarrassed"/Embarrassment: Describe the scene of embarrassment from Werther cited in this section.
9. In Inexpressible Love/To Write, what does the narrator suggest when he says "I cannot write myself"?
10. List some of the scenarios described by the narrator to illustrate the sense of disreality in The World Thunderstruck/Disreality.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)