|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "I am odious"/Monstrous, what does the lover refer to when he says, "I am odious?"
(a) His feeling s of remorse.
(b) His controlling behavior and lack of generosity towards the other.
(c) The tendency towards self-indulgence.
(d) His cowardice.
2. How is the sentimental subject perceived by society?
(a) As worthy of sympathy.
(b) As irritating.
(c) As worthy of admiration.
(d) As stupid, unseemly, and laughable.
3. Which one of the following authors does Barthes cite in this section on the demonic life of a lover?
4. What do the clouds symbolize in the section by the same name?
(a) A sense of danger.
(b) The lover's darkening mood.
(c) The lover's loss of hope.
(d) The other's silence.
5. What does the author note about crying in the modern era?
(a) It is seen as unhealthy to cry.
(b) It is no longer acceptable for men to cry, especially in public.
(c) Everyone cries too easily.
(d) Crying does not tell more than words.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Love Letter, what single piece of information is presented with variation?
2. What topic does the figure I Love You discuss?
3. In "The World Thunderstruck," what does the subheading "disreality" or déréalité refer to?
4. What does the young Freud say to his fiancée in The Love Letter?
5. What is the dual nature of the figure of Gradiva?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the section Fade-Out connect the loved beings withdrawal with the Mother?
2. Novel/Drama: Why does the form in which a love story is told matter?
3. Describe the lover's process of identification, as seen in the character Werther, in the section entitled Identifications.
4. In Domnei/Dependency, what does the lover mean when he says: "I am twice subject?"
5. In The Dedication, how does the act of giving follow "the family model"?
6. What kind of scenes does the lover image in Ideas of Solution/Outcomes?
7. Describe the scenario in At Fault/Faults between the lover and the loved one at the train station.
8. Briefly describe the process of induction in the figure "Show me whom to desire"/Induction.
9. Briefly state what Werther writes in his letter to Charlotte and what it signifies in The Love Letter/Letter.
10. "I am crazy"/Mad: How is the lover's madness metaphorical?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)