|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Show me whom to desire"/Induction, the narrator notes that there is no desire without _________________.
2. In "I am odious"/Monstrous, what does the lover refer to when he says, "I am odious?"
(a) His controlling behavior and lack of generosity towards the other.
(b) The tendency towards self-indulgence.
(c) His cowardice.
(d) His feeling s of remorse.
3. What does the young Freud say to his fiancée in The Love Letter?
(a) I am tired of your long letters.
(b) We must be cautious with our correspondence.
(c) I shall stop writing you if you do not write me back.
(d) I wish you would visit instead of writing.
4. In Blue Coat and Yellow Vest/habiliment, what specifically does the "blue coat and yellow vest" refer to?
(a) To the narrator's favorite outfit.
(b) To clothing worn by the character Werther.
(c) To the costume of travelers.
(d) To clothing worn by the other that becomes a fetish object.
5. In "Exuberance," which two literary characters does the author compare to discuss the "economy of pure expenditure" in love?
(a) Werther and Charlotte from the novel Werther.
(b) Apollo and Dionysus from Greek mythology.
(c) Werther and Albert from the novel Werther.
(d) The narrator and Charlus from the novel The Guermantes' Way.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Domnei," which two things is the narrator subject to?
2. The Unknowable describes which of the following situations?
3. In the same section, the author notes that to write about love is to "confront the muck of language"; which of the following describes this problem?
4. What literary lover did thousands of young men identify with and imitate in their dress and actions?
5. What does the author note about crying in the modern era?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)