|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous composer does the author quote in the section on crying?
2. In "Show me whom to desire"/Induction, the narrator notes that there is no desire without _________________.
3. How does the informer wound the subject?
(a) He provides commonplace information about the loved being.
(b) He sabotages the subjects relationship with the other.
(c) He competes for the loved beings affections.
(d) He tells lies about the loved being.
4. What kind of acts does the lover perform in The Last Leaf/Magic.
(a) Magic consultations, secret rites, and votive actions.
(b) Acts of selfless love.
(c) Meditations, contemplations, and silences.
(d) Acts of infidelity.
5. What causes the particular feeling, experienced by the character Werther, in the episode involving oranges?
(a) The object of desire rejects his offering of oranges.
(b) The object of desire receives his gift and refuses to share it.
(c) The object of desire shares the oranges he gave her with a neighbor.
(d) The object of desire is oblivious to his gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. What clothing is Werther wearing when he first dances with Charlotte?
2. What is the narrator's definition of the image in the section Images?
3. In "Dedication," the author presents an internal dialogue that accompanies which of the following acts?
4. Which one of the following authors does Barthes cite in this section on the demonic life of a lover?
5. What is the best form in which to tell the story of love?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)