|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 183 through 234.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Love's Obscenity/Obscene, what is the author's first example of obscenity?
(a) Each occasion in the text that the word "love" is used.
(b) A Japanese haiku about love.
(c) A poem by Sappho.
(d) Werther's obvious love for Charlotte.
2. What kind of acts does the lover perform in The Last Leaf/Magic.
(a) Magic consultations, secret rites, and votive actions.
(b) Acts of infidelity.
(c) Acts of selfless love.
(d) Meditations, contemplations, and silences.
3. To what does the "ghost ship," in the section entitled The Ghost Ship/Errantry refer?
(a) The errant lover wanders from love to love, believing in the quest for fulfillment.
(b) The lover becomes a ghost of his former self.
(c) The lover dreams of sailing the world with the object of desire.
(d) The lover is haunted by terrible memories.
4. What is the slightly longer characterization the author uses to describe the different sections of the book?
(a) Fragments of discourse.
(b) Literary musings.
(c) Lists of terms.
(d) Figments of the imagination.
5. Which of the following emotions is treated in Aubade/Waking?
(c) Amorous anxiety.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term "alteration" refer to in this section of the text?
2. At the beginning of the book, in the section entitled, "How this book is structured," what is the name that the author uses to describe the different sections of the book?
3. What clothing is Werther wearing when he first dances with Charlotte?
4. What does the "fulfillment" or comblement of the title refer to?
5. In "Dedication," what effect can writing, as a form of amorous dedication, have on the other?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)