|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 183 through 234.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message does the lover hope to send through his asceticism?
(a) He wants to display his askesis as something caused by the other so that person will yield.
(b) He wants to make his mother feel guilty.
(c) He wants to show off his learning to his friends.
(d) He wants to convince society that he is worthy of love.
2. According to the author, who carries out the "discourse of absence" historically?
(a) The Woman.
(b) The mother.
(c) The Man.
(d) The father.
3. What are the disadvantages of the act of annulment?
(a) There is a sense of claustrophobia on the part of the lover.
(b) The lover becomes tired of constantly seeking new partners.
(c) The lover suffers from seeing the other diminished and excluded from the sentiment he or she provoked.
(d) The lover has to fight for autonomy and a sense of self.
4. At Fault/faults, describes the lover's feeling of guilt that results from which of the following feelings?
(a) The subject imagines he has failed the loved being by thinking for himself..
(b) The subject is unfaithful to the loved being.
(c) The subject accuses the other of something he did not do.
(d) The subject forgets an important date with the other.
5. How is the sentimental subject perceived by society?
(a) As worthy of admiration.
(b) As worthy of sympathy.
(c) As irritating.
(d) As stupid, unseemly, and laughable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of signs indicated in The Uncertainty of Signs?
2. How does the lover see the other once he has established the other's atopia?
3. Which of the following best describes the lover's state in "We are our own demons?"
4. What does the author note about crying in the modern era?
5. The section entitled "Catastrophe" refers to two systems of despair. What are they?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)